I know what y'all are thinking...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bunny

Post by bunny »

I think you will get yours before I do. You already know it's in house and being prepped. Mine's not even in the area yet...Tis okay. Truly. Joy is joy whether mine own or someone else's!

I may be an optimistically desolate bunny, but I know that when joy is gone, there's really nothing left to hope for. Anytime good things happen, it's cause for a celebration!

I cannot wait to see pics of you on your new scoot! YAY! And let me channel your mother for a second: BE CAREFUL! ;)

:rofl:
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

bunny wrote:I think you will get yours before I do. You already know it's in house and being prepped. Mine's not even in the area yet...Tis okay. Truly. Joy is joy whether mine own or someone else's!

I may be an optimistically desolate bunny, but I know that when joy is gone, there's really nothing left to hope for. Anytime good things happen, it's cause for a celebration!

I cannot wait to see pics of you on your new scoot! YAY! And let me channel your mother for a second: BE CAREFUL! ;)

:rofl:
Thanks, I just edited my previous post with a rant.

I am alittle freaked about riding through some sketchy traffic areas of Seattle on my first ride home (I'll be legal, with endorsement and MSF graduation card...). Still a little freaked. I'll post pics from the shop when I pick it up (if technologically possible).

~SITR
gottascoot

Post by gottascoot »

awww bunny! :cry:

I am so sad for you, really I was starting to get excited with you! But, imagine how excited you are now.. with two more weeks of this sort of build up...Imagine what you will be feeling then!

The wait will be well worth it, and keep the excitement level up!

Hang in there Bunny!
Gottascoot!

-Jay
bunny

Post by bunny »

Eh...there are more fun things to look forward to while waiting for Bonheur...

MSF class!
My birthday! (this month)
My thesis proposal being approved!
Being 5/8 debt free!

Life is good. And then there's Bonheur...life will be even better! 8)

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

siobhan wrote:
illnoise wrote: let's try to limit it and organize it. : )
Isn't one of the moderators a librarian? Vee need order! Please...vee need some LC action!
That's me! Do you want me to drop some information science up in herre? 'Cause I will. But seriously, folks...an organizational system is only as good as it is useful to its patrons. So far, we've got a good system going. Let's say us mods started locking threads because the subject was already addressed. The newer members wouldn't get a chance to participate, and the older members might miss out on learning something new.
ModBud #442
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

SITR wrote:
I work at a company that manufactures products, and we have awesome supply chain management, even with international (read: China) suppliers. It blows me away that Genuine, and their dealers don't have more visibility into their supply chain. They should have minute-by-minute information of where every nut and bolt and any other piece is. They should know the status/output of their production lines and the destination of each product as it is being manufactured. This is really basic supply chain stuff, and this no-information paradigm really surprises me.

Well, I guess it doesn't surprise me given the track record of other american manufacturing comanies that just can't compete.

And now that I think of it, my brother had a similar experience buying his Ducati GT1000. They couldn't give him a date, even a couple days before it arrived. It was like the bikes got off the boat, and were placed on random trains headed west.

To me it actually appears very normal. The scooter industry has always had a "seat of your pants" feel to it. Since I got my first scooter in the early 80's is always been like that. I know we are in the age of The Internets , but I think the scooter companies are mainly still run that way, specially the Italians. Then again, that might be why they go in/out of bankrupcy like you go in/out of the elevator.

I guess, when it comes to scooter companies, you can summarize their relaxed supply chain management to WHY RED IS RED.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Summer 2008 New Scooter Derby is off and running! Who will get their scoots first? Who will come in last? Place your bets now!

Oh, and I'm thinking about all the other stuff. Boy, y'all are demanding. Insatiable, really. :D
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
riancurtis

Post by riancurtis »

DouglasLive wrote:No, I'm thinking Bunny shouldn't start threads needlessly. :)
Second.
All in favor say "I"

:)
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

ericalm, to throw another of my 2 cents into the ring, I was thinking how about regional threads? I've figured out the active New Englanders here, but it might be nice if areas of high scooter density could talk to one another. We have our yahoo group here in little Rhody, but it's really tiny (and it could be a lot bigger...it's not small simply because we're the smallest state) and can be a bit *ahem*, well you know what I mean. I really like this list because there's not any crap going on (if there is, I'm not seeing it...folks...you want nasty, join any vintage VeeDub or Volvo list!). Just a thought.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

not a bad idea, siobhan!

Genuine is as organized as any of these companies, and they probably know exactly where their bikes are, but they're facing unexpected customs holdups or shipping delays or production delays, remember that in NO ONES WILDEST DREAMS did anyone expect to sell so many scooters this summer, and there's a long production/shipping/distribution lag. Genuine was more prepared than most.

Piaggio is a global scooter leader with probably 5x the U.S. staff (if not more) of Genuine, and they are the manufacturer, importer, and distributor (where Genuine is only the latter two, so they're at the mercy of PGO), and they can't get any of the bikes their dealers want, either (though the scooters they can't sell in Europe are flooding our shores), so Genuine's doing a bang-up job.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

In the spirit of impatience, I received good news today - my Buddy is shipping out of Chicago TOMORROW! It almost feels real now!
scootermama

I know what you all are thinking

Post by scootermama »

Bunny?

Are you still out there? What's the scooter situation for today?

I, for one, can relate to your agony, and yes, your posts help me relive the excitement of getting my Buddy. You are a hoot, my dear.
Queen

Re: I know what you all are thinking

Post by Queen »

scootermama wrote:...I, for one, can relate to your agony, and yes, your posts help me relive the excitement of getting my Buddy. You are a hoot, my dear.
Ditto that! Your posts crack me up Bunny. :mrgreen:
bunny

Post by bunny »

I gots nuffin.

:cry:

According to dealership:

His June shipment didn't come. Who knows if and when his July shipment will. He won't know *what* is on the truck until he actually gets the truck. First Italia 150 off the next truck is *Bonheur* (well, he said 'mine' since he doesn't know that I am naming her Bonheur...I took some liberties).

And that's all he had to say about that. So I will optimistically say July 15th as her expected date and anything sooner will make me even happier.

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Just to be clear, I dig her posts, too, I just wanted them easily accessible in one thread! : )
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
bfreed

Post by bfreed »

Piedmont wrote:Select "Search for all terms"
The way it's checked as default it's searching for anything with oil and anything with change, not necessarily both words. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure you can use quotation marks for an exact phrase match.
RuntotoRun: I've had the same frustration as you. Piedmont's right, make sure to check to search for all words, or else you're looking for any mention of oil or any mention of change.
But, as far as I can tell, it seems to ignore quotation marks... I dunno.

But here's what's been working pretty well for me: Google. Click on "Advanced Search" and then you can search a particular site. So I use Google to search modernbuddy.com, and I can use standard Google rules - quotation phrases, eliminate words I don't want, etc. Good luck!

Bunny: I too, am enjoying your journey. Thanks for all the input (and humor) while you wait! It's nice that you're taking the time to digest so much information even before you have a ride!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I've added a MB searching tips/tutorial to the MB Guides section:

topic5740.html

Adapted (with permission) from ModernVespa.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

Bunny, are you going to update that signature of your's to include negative numbers so we can track how many days past due?

I don't mean to be mean, it just sounds that way and I couldn't figure out a nicer way to say so.
Heroism is being scared as hell and saddling up anyways - John Wayne
bunny

Post by bunny »

ERik3tb wrote:Bunny, are you going to update that signature of your's to include negative numbers so we can track how many days past due?

I don't mean to be mean, it just sounds that way and I couldn't figure out a nicer way to say so.
I suppose I could have let it run the way it used to be to see if it would go negative, but I thought it would make me more upset to see it that way. So I changed it. And used a SLOOOOOOOW moving turtle this time...quite apropos, I thought.

As of today, Bonheur is 2 days overdue. (no offense taken)

growing_wings

Post by growing_wings »

ericalm wrote:The Summer 2008 New Scooter Derby is off and running! Who will get their scoots first? Who will come in last? Place your bets now!
You can put me in the running, I was told my St Tropez would be in last week. When I called to check on it, they told me to be patient. They expect it to be in this week. . .or next week. . . Who knows! I know all about the shipping/customs hold up and all, but I am just so darned excited!!! :D

My husband and I (along with the best man, groomsman from our wedding and my bro) are taking the MSF course this weekend. I am nervous but excited. . .if all goes well I will have my motorcycle license just in time to pick up my new scoot next week!!! 8)
aerogirl7

Post by aerogirl7 »

Sorry about the crazy delays Bunny, hang in their.

In response to Illnoise's statement:
illnoise wrote:If it was up to me, we'd have an "Introduce yourself" thread and we'd have hundreds of follow-ups on it instead of hundreds of "new to the list" and "hi" threads.
I know the Ten Year Lates have an 'Introduce Yourself' section which you are required to post to when you join the forum, before you are granted access to the rest of the forum. This ensures that you are not a bot and it also keeps all the intros confined to their own locale within the forum. In fact, the order of their headings is: 'Introduce Yourself', 'Scooter Talk', 'Rides Rallies & Events', 'Scooter Fixing Questions', 'Stolen Scooters', and then finally 'General Discussion', and 'Political Subjects'. By doing things this way, 'General Discussion' is placed as lower priority and is reserved specifically for NSR topics, while all of the pertinent scooter threads are right below the introductions link. Just a thought, but maybe some similar restructuring would clear up the mud we're dealing with as of late.
At midnight, I'll turn into a pumpkin and drive away in my glass slipper. ~Roman Holiday
StacyB

Post by StacyB »

aerogirl7 wrote:Sorry about the crazy delays Bunny, hang in their.

In response to Illnoise's statement:
illnoise wrote:If it was up to me, we'd have an "Introduce yourself" thread and we'd have hundreds of follow-ups on it instead of hundreds of "new to the list" and "hi" threads.
I know the Ten Year Lates have an 'Introduce Yourself' section which you are required to post to when you join the forum, before you are granted access to the rest of the forum. This ensures that you are not a bot and it also keeps all the intros confined to their own locale within the forum. In fact, the order of their headings is: 'Introduce Yourself', 'Scooter Talk', 'Rides Rallies & Events', 'Scooter Fixing Questions', 'Stolen Scooters', and then finally 'General Discussion', and 'Political Subjects'. By doing things this way, 'General Discussion' is placed as lower priority and is reserved specifically for NSR topics, while all of the pertinent scooter threads are right below the introductions link. Just a thought, but maybe some similar restructuring would clear up the mud we're dealing with as of late.
That's similar to how DFWScooterist.com is set up as well. I don't think a person is required to post in the "Introduce Yourself", but I really don't remember. Sounds like a good idea though!
Glen G

toto

Post by Glen G »

Runtotorun!!! Where are you???
bunny

Post by bunny »

They got a truck today but Bonheur wasn't on it. We'll try again next week...

anndelise

Post by anndelise »

pfft, and my local dealer was wondering why I went two hours away to get my scooter instead of waiting for one to...maybe....arive with them. :roll:

I can't imagine going through what you're going through bunny.
The scootering section of my blog: http://anndelise.wordpress.com/category/scootering/
runtotorun121

Re: toto

Post by runtotorun121 »

Glen G wrote:Runtotorun!!! Where are you???
*quick ride-by so as not to hijack the thread*. . .ummm. . .I spilled milk on my laptop keyboard last night and spent from midnight to 0530 trying to fix that problem. About 0800 my husband came into the living room carrying my laptop with a different keyboard dropped into it, so I have been busy and sleep-deprived. . .

Now, Bunny, I am so excite you get to take your class an ride a scooter this weekend! :)
~Celebrate~
armacham

Post by armacham »

I just came to rub it in your face that I picked mine up today and it's wonderful :P <3 :mrgreen:
ko57

Post by ko57 »

Bunny I like and read your posts, and I'll be glad when you get your scooter. I'm looking forward to your post that'll read "it's in". I have a long way to wait until I can get a scooter, so I hope your dealer surprises you with a phone call very soon for you to pick it up. I would have been tempted to go elsewhere but when you need service it's good to have a local dealer in your corner.

ko
armacham

Post by armacham »

ko57 wrote:I hope your dealer surprises you with a phone call very soon for you to pick it up.
This happened for me... Someone with a deposit on the last one in the shipment was moving to england, so I got their Italia. The phone call came totally out of the blue!
ScootingInTheRain

Bunny - Well, I am going to the dealer today (in two hours!!!) to get my scoot. Mine had crazy delays, and so did my Credit Union (jerks).

Now to think of a name. Can't give it a girl's name because my wife would get mad. :wink: I am thinking about "Tony". Like the tiger. Orange and black. Not very original, but easy to explain, and has a "Sopranos" aura to it. Also, it growls, and it is GRRRRRRRRRRREAT!!! Oh, and I love Frosted Flakes.

Tony it is.

~SITRonceItRainsThatIs...
bunny

Post by bunny »

SITR~I am so happy for you getting your scooter!

I got nuffin, again. rumor has it Bonheur will be here this week, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. There's only room for one blue bunny in this world and I'm not an ice cream maker.

mbrider

Post by mbrider »

For those who are in the Seattle area still hoping to get a Buddy, Kent Kawasaki/Valley Scooter has (or atleast three weeks ago had) Buddies and Stellas in all colors (except for the Pamplona as I got the last one).
ScootingInTheRain

mbrider wrote:For those who are in the Seattle area still hoping to get a Buddy, Kent Kawasaki/Valley Scooter has (or atleast three weeks ago had) Buddies and Stellas in all colors (except for the Pamplona as I got the last one).
...yeah...but then you have to go to Kent. Not sure if it is worth it.

(just kidding, lived in that area for a bit :D )

~SITR
iinigma7

Post by iinigma7 »

We're all rooting for you Bunny. I have a special congratulatory animated .gif that I'm saving for the thread you make when Bonheur finally arrives.
"...faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!"