What's the longest trip you've made on your scooter?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

photogal85

What's the longest trip you've made on your scooter?

Post by photogal85 »

So- I'm thinking about going to visit my family this weekend on my new scooter. I've driven it around enough my neighborhood that I feel pretty comfortable on it. My family lives about 2 hours from me. I've looked up an alternate way to go to avoid getting on the interstate and found that I can take a route that's about 120 miles.

What do you guys think? How prepared should one be before jumping on the highway to make a long venture? What's the longest trip you've ever made?
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I did a 160+ mile trip last Sunday. It was my longest trip by about 100 miles. There was a group of 20 of us, but we had no problems. Be sure and take water with you, as you get dehydrated fairly easily when you ride.
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What's the longest trip you've made on your scooter?

Post by jrsjr »

photogal85 wrote:How prepared should one be before jumping on the highway to make a long venture?
Basically, you need to be a little savvy about the stuff that might happen. Don't run out of gas. Don't get caught with a dead battery in your cell phone. Don't have a flat tire without a backup plan, eg AAA RV plus or a friend who can rescue you or a tire repair kit and a pump to inflate your tire. Don't get caught in the middle of nowhere in one the of the worst storms in the history of your State. That's some stuff to get you started thinking about the kind of thing you need to without overdoing it, I hope. :wink:
photogal85 wrote:What's the longest trip you've ever made?
Coast to coast. Twice. Once on a Vespa and once on a Blur. I'm our resident crazy Cannonball rider.

Enjoy your trip. You'll do fine. :D

-Johh
Last edited by jrsjr on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
kilted texan

Post by kilted texan »

62.5 miles & my butt was numb :cry: afterwards. It took about 2 hours. Most was 40-45 mph the other was residential streets.

First long ride other than to commute back & forth to work, about 20 minutes each way.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

You should be fine. The problem is not the scooter so much as your phisical stamina (your butt resilience, mainly).

the biggest run I have done with the Blur is about 100 miles.

With my old Vespa P200 I used to do a 500+ mile run twice every summer. Every time I had to fill up, I would drink lots of water. Other than that, I rigged my backpack to be a backrest.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

jrsjr wrote:Coast to coast. Twice. Once on a Vespa and once on a Blur. I'm our resident crazy Cannonball rider.

Enjoy your trip. You'll do fine. :D

-Johh
I hope things work out this year, I would like to make the cannonball.

Longest ride of done so far is a little over 50 miles each way.

But this was also on a 80cc Honda that tops out at about 40-45 with me one it.

My stella should be here tomorrow. depending on what time it gets here and how rough the weather is I'm going to try to break it in before next thursday.

Next thursday me and a friend are going to Lava Hot Springs which is about a 90 mile ride each way.
Legend

Post by Legend »

photogal85 wrote:So- I'm thinking about going to visit my family this weekend on my new scooter. I've driven it around enough my neighborhood that I feel pretty comfortable on it. My family lives about 2 hours from me. I've looked up an alternate way to go to avoid getting on the interstate and found that I can take a route that's about 120 miles.

What do you guys think? How prepared should one be before jumping on the highway to make a long venture? What's the longest trip you've ever made?

Just get on it and go. People plan and worry too much about stuff. 120 miles is nothing on a scooter. It amazes me to think that someone could only do 200 miles a day across country. HEll, I am in outside sales and ride 100 miles a day 5 days a week on my Stella. Fill up and take a bit of spare gas (I use one of those bottles for camping fuel), point it in the right direction and go.
"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I have only had my scooter for 6 weeks or so, and I did a 80 mile trip on a whim... Unless you are out in the middle of nowhere... if something does go wrong you should be able to find someone to help you...
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I've done Montreal to Maine and Montreal to Uxbridge MA (by the Rhode Island border). Now those to me are serious rides, spanning at least a couple states. A hundred and twenty miles is the equivalent of a day ride to Burlington VT.

One thing you should watch out for--those two-lane state routes can be a tad tricky when going through small towns. I've sometimes missed a turn off and headed down a local street. Keep an eye for signage on your way through.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Legend wrote:
photogal85 wrote:So- I'm thinking about going to visit my family this weekend on my new scooter. I've driven it around enough my neighborhood that I feel pretty comfortable on it. My family lives about 2 hours from me. I've looked up an alternate way to go to avoid getting on the interstate and found that I can take a route that's about 120 miles.

Just get on it and go. People plan and worry too much about stuff. 120 miles is nothing on a scooter. It amazes me to think that someone could only do 200 miles a day across country. HEll, I am in outside sales and ride 100 miles a day 5 days a week on my Stella. Fill up and take a bit of spare gas (I use one of those bottles for camping fuel), point it in the right direction and go.
Amen! Take some cash, a credit card and a cell phone. Now, just GO!
Longest trip - 400 miles.

Dennis
cthoops

Post by cthoops »

So far Eddy Merckx and I have ridden about 80 miles in one shot, but this fall we're going to take Olive and Darth to Martha's Vineyard for a few days, which should be around 150 miles each way (plus the ferry).
My other scoot is a road bike.
I'm mod on the inside.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

All these tips are aces; I'll add my own. Be prepared for:

1) the boredom of riding by yourself
2) pain in your butt & your arms, and numbness in your hands
3) bugs hitting your face shield at 50+ mph
4) the exhaustion of riding all that way, and then having to ride BACK the next day or whenever

I learned a lot during my most recent long trek last weekend, Philadelphia to NYC. My previous longest was Philly to Baltimore, but I rode that with eight other riders. This ride was mostly by myself, and the combination of tedium plus physical pain ended up freaking me out on the ride home.

Godspeed & happy trails to you.
ModBud #442
zuman

Centuries

Post by zuman »

I've never done 100 miles on a scooter (uh, I don't actually take delivery of my wife's St. Tropez and my Blur until next Thursday), but I've ridden 100 miles or more in one day on my road bike (pedal) six times.
Most road bike riders try to be as self-sufficient as possible, but have a plan for those times when we can't be. I'm sure I'll soon start figuring out what I can handle myself mechanically with a scooter and what I can't.
While I can't address mechanical issues, as far as the human side of the equation goes, stay hydrated, don't lock your wrists or elbows, do shoulder shrugs and move your neck around. There's one other thing to watch for: on a long trip you can sometimes get into a kind of trance state. That can be useful if you're cold, wet, and trying to keep up a pedalling cadence, but it can also be dangerous as you can become less aware of what's happening around you.
My daughters were pedaling 30 miles when they were eight years old, so I wouldn't be afraid of the physical side.
photogal85

Post by photogal85 »

I appreciate the encouragement. My family is FREAKIN out that I want to make the trip on my scooter. It does make me a little nervous as well since I'm a new rider. My scooter isn't quite broken in yet either....It's got about 90 miles on it.

If I decide to do it, I'll fill everyone in on how it went.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

photogal85 wrote:If I decide to do it, I'll fill everyone in on how it went.
Pls do. I've said it a million times, I'll say it again. I love reading first-time ride reports. That's what makes it all worthwhile for me.

-John
sotied

Post by sotied »

My first ride on my new scoot. Bought it yesterday and had it delivered.

Took it out today in the mist and rain and cold for a 30-mile adventure!

Meandered about 14 miles down to lunch on the coast in Scituate, MA and then turned around and came back.

Scoot now has 33 miles on it (got it with 3).

Put some gas in on the way back...less than a gallon.

Got it going 63MPH at one point. SCARY, but FUN FUN FUN!

Did a rotary three times....not all at once.

Saw two cops, one followed me for about half a mile.

Stopped at my sister's house in the next town to show off. Not home.

Stopped at my brother's house two towns away. Not home.

Cruised through my town's downtown section and made a restaurant reservation in my helmet and parked the scoot on the sidewalk.

Then came home and put on slippers and had some tea.

It's hard to drink tea when you're grinning so hard.

Best purchase of 2008 and I got myself an HDTV earlier in the year, so that's saying LOTS.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

sotied wrote:My first ride on my new scoot. Bought it yesterday and had it delivered.

Took it out today in the mist and rain and cold for a 30-mile adventure!

Meandered about 14 miles down to lunch on the coast in Scituate, MA and then turned around and came back.

Scoot now has 33 miles on it (got it with 3).

Put some gas in on the way back...less than a gallon.

Got it going 63MPH at one point. SCARY, but FUN FUN FUN!

Did a rotary three times....not all at once.

Saw two cops, one followed me for about half a mile.

Stopped at my sister's house in the next town to show off. Not home.

Stopped at my brother's house two towns away. Not home.

Cruised through my town's downtown section and made a restaurant reservation in my helmet and parked the scoot on the sidewalk.

Then came home and put on slippers and had some tea.

It's hard to drink tea when you're grinning so hard.

Best purchase of 2008 and I got myself an HDTV earlier in the year, so that's saying LOTS.
Great write up! Love it.

Ride safe out there.
sotied

Post by sotied »

OK. A month later and here's the update.

Longest ride so far has been to Providence, RI and back for my 500mile service. Trip itself was about 40 miles each way and took about 1:45 each way (that's hours, not minutes).

Back roads are a pain, but way safer than the highway around here.

Also have been to Boston about half a dozen times. Have been to neighboring towns almost daily. And have taken it to my parent's house half a mile away a billion times.

Scootle now has her plate (attached via Dual Lock velcro-esque tape for easy removal when parking in the city), has a bunch of stickers (search the gallery for Favorite Sticker thread) and has participated in three of the five or six weeks of Scavenger Photo Hunt.

Finished the MSF course this past weekend and can't recommend it highly enough. Learned a ton about riding, a ton about my shortcomings as a rider and how to fix them, and a ton about how to be a better rider going forward (in time, not space).

Seven tanks of gas. Getting about 100BPG. Odo is off by an unspecified amount. Speedo is off by 10-14%.

That's the news. I'm not Chevy Chase.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Made the basic break-in mileage in the first two weeks; week two, got an angry wasp trapped under the strap on the left side of my face at 40 mph with nowhere to stop for two miles - no face shield - just old-fashioned goggles. Used every filthy word I know, then made new ones up. Swelling went down in two days. Swapped-out the goggles for a face shield - windscreen is on order.

After 200-mile break-in, did 150 miles in one day, semi-rural to city, empty to crowded with nutty banzai traffic. Stopped every hour or so for for a coffee or coke; state roads around here are fairly fast. Rained for the last hour - slowed way down, bike handled fine.

Absolutely painless - a real pleasure. Stopping regularly is the key - wash the face, rehydrate, stretch-out the back and wiggle the arms, mentally relax after the long stretches of prolonged concentration required for safety's sake.
JNV

Longest ride

Post by JNV »

Scooter Cannonball run '06 coast to coast
3500 miles (roughly) which included a 650 mile ride in one day. I got lost otherwise it would have been a shorter day.
JNV

Post by JNV »

Basically, you need to be a little savvy about the stuff that might happen. Don't run out of gas. Don't get caught with a dead battery in your cell phone. Don't have a flat tire without a backup plan, eg AAA RV plus or a friend who can rescue you or a tire repair kit and a pump to inflate your tire. Don't get caught in the middle of nowhere in one the of the worst storms in the history of your State. That's some stuff to get you started thinking about the kind of thing you need to without overdoing it, I hope. :wink:
-Johh[/quote]

Hey JRSJR,
This sounds like experience from your Cannonball riding days.
Can't wait to see what adventures we have next.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

JNV wrote:
jrsjr wrote:Basically, you need to be a little savvy about the stuff that might happen. Don't run out of gas. Don't get caught with a dead battery in your cell phone. Don't have a flat tire without a backup plan, eg AAA RV plus or a friend who can rescue you or a tire repair kit and a pump to inflate your tire. Don't get caught in the middle of nowhere in one the of the worst storms in the history of your State. That's some stuff to get you started thinking about the kind of thing you need to without overdoing it, I hope. :wink:
-John
Hey JRSJR,
This sounds like experience from your Cannonball riding days.
Can't wait to see what adventures we have next.
Hey Noe, I'd give anything for a video of that hour you and I spent in the desert trying to siphon gas from your extra tank into my tank. Then after we did all that, disassembled your scooter, got dirty and greasy and sweaty, got gas all over us and the whole thing, then it turned out there was a gas station at the bottom of the hill we were sitting on!. Hahaha. Priceless! Yeah, I'm looking forward to doing it again. I really wish it was going to be this year...

-John
redcass

Post by redcass »

I just did 130 miles up and 130 back from Chicago. I made it on less than 2 tanks of gas each way. Minor highways worked well, people just passed me if they wanted to go over 60mph, which I determined was about the fastest I could sustain on my 125CCs. The road conditions were often less than stellar, but it was great practice with swerving and lifting out of the seat -- both of which kept my butt from going numb. I also rolled out my wrists at stoplights.

One time I had an enormous bug smash into my face shield--yowsa! I had some serious yellow goop running down til I could stop and wipe it off. I cannot imagine doing a long ride without a FF! If I'd only had glasses on...YUCK!

I didn't find myself getting bored, it was nice to be alone with my thoughts and the scenery. Of course that was better when the weather was nice. Rain was less fun! But now I also feel confident riding in the rain if I have to.

My next big trip is on July 13 from Bloomington IL to Bloomington IN, that's 200 miles each way. I'd love to meet up with other MBers along the way if any of you are on/near that route!

RedCass
RedCass
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

My longest drive (50 miles round trip) is puny compared to most of the iron butt marathon rides described here but what made this drive special was the location not the distance. A few weeks ago my wife and I drove our Buddys on Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park. Skyline Drive is 105 miles of scenic road that travels along the ridgeline of Virginia’s section of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The speed limit is 35 MPH which is perfect for this twisty road that rollercoaster’s through the mountains. Although we only drove from Front Royal (mile 0) to Elkwallow (mile 25), the 50 mile round trip took us about 3 hours because we stopped quite a bit to admire the view from the scenic overlooks. Next week we will be returning to Skyline Drive and this time we will attempt a 100 mile round trip: from Front Royal (mile 0) to Big Meadows (mile 50).
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
sotied

Post by sotied »

hcstrider wrote:My longest drive (50 miles round trip) is puny compared to most of the iron butt marathon rides described here but what made this drive special was the location not the distance. A few weeks ago my wife and I drove our Buddys on Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park. Skyline Drive is 105 miles of scenic road that travels along the ridgeline of Virginia’s section of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The speed limit is 35 MPH which is perfect for this twisty road that rollercoaster’s through the mountains. Although we only drove from Front Royal (mile 0) to Elkwallow (mile 25), the 50 mile round trip took us about 3 hours because we stopped quite a bit to admire the view from the scenic overlooks. Next week we will be returning to Skyline Drive and this time we will attempt a 100 mile round trip: from Front Royal (mile 0) to Big Meadows (mile 50).
Wayne, if you can, take some photos of the ride at all the overlooks and vistas and post them to the gallery. I took an 80-mile ride today all around the shore and am totally angry I didn't have the camera out.

No more riding without it.

Jeff
Xena

Post by Xena »

Does anyone use a GPS system on their scoot?

I also wish there was a map book, state-by-state, of routes for scooters and things to see...
bunny

Post by bunny »

Xena wrote:Does anyone use a GPS system on their scoot?

I also wish there was a map book, state-by-state, of routes for scooters and things to see...
MadMaps (www.madmaps.com) puts out little laminated pocket sized day trip route maps for various regions of the country. We keep the Texas set (4 of them) in the MC bag for just those occasions. Plots out the route, scenic stops along the way and places to eat or shop or points of interest. I know there's a CA and WA set, but not sure about anywhere else...
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

Xena

Post by Xena »

bunny wrote:

MadMaps (www.madmaps.com) puts out little laminated pocket sized day trip route maps for various regions of the country. We keep the Texas set (4 of them) in the MC bag for just those occasions. Plots out the route, scenic stops along the way and places to eat or shop or points of interest. I know there's a CA and WA set, but not sure about anywhere else...
Awesome! Ta for that tip Bunny. I am gonna take a looksee. I would take the GPS out of the car and use it, but it only has like 4 hours of charge and then it's done and I could be stuck.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I am planning a 112+ mile trip to a scooter rally in Oklahoma City with some other riders here in September. We will most likely also have a support truck too, so that will be nice.

I've done 50 miles at a time. That's local scenic fun riding with stops and civilization nearby at all times. But i'd like to try a long ride myself before then for the fun and experience.

And Xena, I have a GPS/Nav for mine I am in the process of making a mount for. I use the TomTom ONE 3rd Edition.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
marsturm

Post by marsturm »

I've ridden 116 in a day. That was a round trip. I suggest you spend the night, then ride home the following morning.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

The book the Scooter Cannonball folks use is Road Trip Usa. I own the book, it's wonderful, but you can also access the entire book online by clicking the link.

-John
StacyB

Post by StacyB »

I cannot believe that people are doing "The Cannonball" on scooters. It's insane yet sane at the same time. Meaning: I wanna do it too.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

StacyB wrote:I cannot believe that people are doing "The Cannonball" on scooters. It's insane yet sane at the same time. Meaning: I wanna do it too.
If that "Reality" meme is all that's holding you back then ditch the meme and follow your dream.

Life is too short not to.
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

do 50 cc riders do the cannonball?
hackett

Post by hackett »

Very slowly.
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

My next big trip is on July 13 from Bloomington IL to Bloomington IN, that's 200 miles each way. I'd love to meet up with other MBers along the way if any of you are on/near that route!
Redcass, I will making this exact trip in late September! I'm going from Tulsa to Bloomington IN to visit a friend and thence to Bloomington IL for a SOMFB tournament before heading back to Tulsa.

I'd love details on your trip and to know what route you take!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

emoboy44 wrote:do 50 cc riders do the cannonball?
Sorry, it's for 125cc and up. The problem is that sometimes when you're riding crosscountry, there's just no way to avoid going on the highway. Even the best laid routes will unexpectedly deadend into the Interstate.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

pugbuddy wrote:
Redcass, I will making this exact trip in late September! I'm going from Tulsa to Bloomington IN to visit a friend and thence to Bloomington IL for a SOMFB tournament before heading back to Tulsa.

Wow that's a pretty long ride... 15+ hours if avoiding interstates!
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

jrsjr wrote: Sorry, it's for 125cc and up. The problem is that sometimes when you're riding crosscountry, there's just no way to avoid going on the highway. Even the best laid routes will unexpectedly deadend into the Interstate.
That sucks. There's something oddly romantic about traveling cross country at 30 mph.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

jrsjr wrote:If that "Reality" meme is all that's holding you back then ditch the meme and follow your dream.

Life is too short not to.
You, sir, are a genius. 8)
ModBud #442
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

about a month ago i took my longest day trip. a little over 200 miles round trip. it wasnt bad at all. i was expecting to be worn out long before we arrived at our destination.

i think our next venture will be down historic route 66 near the end of the summer. :)
gottascoot

Post by gottascoot »

After I get used to everything, know my limits, and the scooters limits I am planning a trip to go to my former place of employment/ where I lived for two years. Cedar Point amusement park! (320miles down I-80)

Thank god for google maps, avoid highway tool...

319 miles using the turnpike... and a time of 5 hours and 13 minutes...

Via scooter would be

321 miles and 7 hours and 31 minutes....

Two mile diff?

Wierd..

BUT

I figure, if I start early one sunday morning I could make it a fun scooter day and get there by night. Taking breaks whenever I want, or need.

spend a few days there.. then come back!

I dunno, I think it would be fun.. And cost a lot less than taking my chevy..

3 1/2-4 gallons... psh

Chevy takes about 15-20!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

pugbuddy wrote:
Quote:

Wow that's a pretty long ride... 15+ hours if avoiding interstates!
Huh? 200 miles = 15 hours? How slow are you going? :?
i think our next venture will be down historic route 66 near the end of the summer.
I'm planning a ride UP route 66 this weekend and one down 66 to Pops later in the summer. We should get a group together!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Hmm.
Middle of East Coast down to bottom via New Orleans, then up to the North Coast via Kansas, then over to the West Coast, to the bottom of the West Coast and back to Kansas, then down to Austin, TX. Oh, and then again, from the middle of the East Coast back to New Orleans, ALL the way across the country thru the South West to the West Coast. Then UP the West Coast and now I'm heading to Washington D.C. via Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Chicago, Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

22,000+ miles.
The end.

Oh, carry a charged phone, even bring an adapter to charge it.
If you run out of gas, who cares. It's a great way to meet new people. :lol:

Bring nuts for snacking. Lots of water too.
Check your air pressure every other day at minimum.
Be visible. Wear armor.

Check the weather forecasts. If a line of cars piles up behind you, I personally say pull over, IF ITS SAFE. Better than to have a cager wig out.

RIDE ON!
anndelise

Post by anndelise »

Today's trip so far has been my longest: 53.5 miles.

About 10 of it was on a 'practice' road. The rest of it will be the usual commute into and out of town, but doesn't include the in town travel that will occur.
I seriously need to build up some mental stamina for this to be a regular thing for me.

After I gain stamina and experience, then I hope to do some trips that will turn out longer than this one.
The scootering section of my blog: http://anndelise.wordpress.com/category/scootering/
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

Just got back from a 300 mile trip. Exhausting yet so much fun..
SCOOTERSOLDIER

Post by SCOOTERSOLDIER »

Some really good advice on this thread for those considering long trips.

I have ridden 150 Miles round trip about 3 times on my buddy 125cc and I never make this trip without the following. In fact I always have the following on board.

1. Cell Phone & Charger.

2. Tire Repair Kit.

3. Tire Pump and Gauge.

4. Rain Suit.

5. Small Crescent Wrench and Miscellaneous other wrenches including a phillips head screwdriver.

6. Extra Spark Plug.

7. Small Flashlight & a few clean rags.

8. I also have Roadside assistance provided by my insurance company, that is peace of mind also, the roadside assistance through Genuine scooter has expired on my scoot now so I went through USAA which they farm out through progressive and its like a $100.00 a year I think which includes the roadside assistance. If you are considering a long trip that may be very handy to have in the event of a major mechanical failure.

Ya never know when you may have a slight maintenance issue, coming back from one of my longer trips the left side mirror got loose and I did not have the right size wrench on board, very irritating to have one of your mirrors fold in on you because it worked its way loose, now I keep a crescent wrench on board for such events. Peace of mind.
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

I know this thread has been dormant for a month, but I finally have something worth contributing.

This Saturday, I more than doubled the miles on my scooter since I got it. I went on a 250 mile ride, plus the miles it took to get to and from the meeting place, and a detour here or there...puts me at almost 300 miles in a day!

The best/worst/craziest part is, I only had 215 or so miles on the scooter to begin with, before embarking on this insane adventure. I got absolutely pummeled by rain at one point with no rain gear. Rode with the gas gauge on E for way longer than I thought possible (not on purpose). Outran major storm clouds on the way back.

I wrote a long rambling summary of my adventure on my blog. If anyone is actually interested, read it there. Some pictures included. Rather than cause your computers to take 8 hour to load the messageboard :)

http://betsyqbramble.blogspot.com/
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

p.s. my butt actually never hurt, the entire day. What did get a bit sore was my back, from keeping my stellar posture for so long. Ugh.

My mindset was...if so many other people can do rides like this...why can't I? Eventually, I believed myself, and just went for it. Not a single bit of regret!

RIDE LIKE THE WIND, BULLSEYE!
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

betsy q. bramble...congrats and WOW! Sounds like a crazy ride and now that you've got the rain gear, you've got no excuse with our wild New England weather.

Isn't it amazing riding on back roads...you can smell the landscape. I took a nice long ride this weekend as part of a relay (which I'll be adding to the Gallery soon) on a back road I hadn't been on before and it was as close to car-free as I've ever seen a road...ahhhhh. You also get really good at knowing 10 different ways to get places.

You should be feeling incredibly accomplished...you go!