Saw 71 mph on the speedo today

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

barndwellers_md

Saw 71 mph on the speedo today

Post by barndwellers_md »

Granted....the speedometer is 10% faster than my son's gps says, but still thought it was impressive for only changing the muffler (got it from the dude in the country where the bike was made), the rollers to 8g, a new clutch (smaller in diameter than stock clutch but much thicker pads....still utilizing stock spring) and a different variator pulley. This setup maintains 62 mph on flats too (I'm 170 lbs).

If I put the stock muffler back on I have much better bottom end...0 to 30 in 4 seconds, 30 to 50 in another 9 seconds. 59 mph on flats and top speed of 64 down mild hills.

I think the carb could use larger jetting (so says sparky) with the aftermarket muffler so I'm taking it off until I get a few. Having thoughts of enlarging the stock jet. Anyone ever try this?
brandon75173

Post by brandon75173 »

Funny this was the top post. I was about to create a thread myself about putting the gps against my speedo yesterday. Best I saw on flat ground with no wind either way was 61mph shown. GPS shows 55 mph. That was rapped wide ass open and tucked like a speed skater. Only mods to speak are the drilled air box and larger (100) main jet. I dont think it does anything up top, but seems to help in the mid and hurt on bottom. Waiting for some idle jets and other stuff I ordered.
barndwellers_md

My factory clutch vibrated badly at takeoff...had bad heat spots in three places in the bell. At 800 miles (put on in two weeks since I purchased it new) the clutch pads were paper thin...and it wasn't driven hard either. Junk!

After fooling with the aftermarket muffler, I think I'm keeping the stock one on for now. Too many issues with it.

I've never owned anything that developed so many rattles in such a short period of time. Front tire was out of wack from the factory - can peak over the front of the scooter and watch the center line wiggle back and forth like a snake. Way out of balance...dealer didn't have balancing machine so I threw in some balancing powder...helps somewhat. Horn vibrates so badly it was throwing the two wires into the plastic housing....was obnoxiously loud. Stock muffler was rattling on deceleration at upper rpms. If it wasn't so economical (and fun) - I'd get rid of it.

I have people in front of me pull over and wave me to stop along side of them so they can ask me bunches of questions about what I'm riding. Pretty goofy.
vespatech

Post by vespatech »

is that a dr pulley hit clutch? what variator are you using?
brandon75173

Post by brandon75173 »

Barndweller, I bet that guy from Taiwan is the same guy I have emailed about getting some parts from over there. How was your ship/leadtime for getting stuff? I have a hotmail address and havent heard back from him in a couple days, do you have any other contact info?

Thanks

Brandon
barndwellers_md

All the parts were made in Taiwan....couldn't even read the labels and info. (though I think there was a website printed on them in English).

Had the parts in a timely fashion....probably 5 to 7 days. Forgot to include my 2k clutch spring and the muffler is made to fit another scooter/bike and is just modified by a couple cuts in the pipe and rewelded..it fits too closely to the plastic housing around the engine (1/8") and is 1/2" away from the tire. The back nut (can't use stock cap) on the mounting flange is almost impossible to install...no room for any type of wrench...only could use a chisel and hammer to tap it around.

Does a 26mm carb on a stock engine seem a bit large?
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I've heard of a few 24mm carbs being used. Heck, if you could fit a 4 barrel carb on there eventually you'd get it to work :lol: Maybe a weber 2bbl?
EZPZ #65
Groovealufagus

Post by Groovealufagus »

barndwellers_md wrote:My factory clutch vibrated badly at takeoff.

Stock muffler was rattling on deceleration at upper rpms.
My clutch does the same... back end stutters from a standing start at 320 miles. I also have the rattle on deceleration at upper rpm's. This post suggests that maybe we should have our dealers look at the stator...
rattler350 wrote:WENT TO THE DEALER AND GUESS WHAT IT WAS?
THE STARTOR TEETH ARE NOT DISENGAGING ALL THE WAY AND HIT THE TRANNY EVERY SO OFTEN, BUT AT THE HIGH RPM'S THIS IS A CONSTANT RATTLE " PING-PING" THEY ARE ORDERING A NEW ONE UNDER WARRANTY AND WILL BE INSTALLED ON MY 1ST SERVICE. IT WONT HARM ANYTHING, BUT THE RATTLE IS ANNOYING.

THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS... :lol:

My shop has my Prima pipe, Polini filter, Dr. Pulley clutch and bell, and Malossi variator just waiting to be installed, and I've got broken bones in my left thumb and hand, so I can't ride until after July 17... :cry:
barndwellers_md

I think he meant to spell 'startor' as starter...not 'stator'. Maybe i'm wrong.

There are no signs either on my rattler's starter teeth or the flywheel that they are swiping each other while the motor is running.

I'm basically ignoring the factory warranty - my scooter was the last one of three that they've had for a while. Wasn't running correctly both times I visited....stalled four times the last time I rode it there. They knocked off three hundred from MSRP so I bit. Brought the bike home, took it off the truck for my wife to ride (she's got her own scooter) - she started it and took off up the hill only to have it go full throttle and get stuck in that position...almost was a bad wreck. I found the mechanic had the carb settings all screwed up with the throttle linkage cap 1/2 a turn from being off....needle came up and stayed. My bucket bolts were all missing...his screwgun was in the seat compartment. He was supposed to check it over before I took it home.

Incompetence rules in this area. I'm not letting them do anymore work on it.
MPA

Post by MPA »

wow so 65 on the gps? I guess once I get my stimulus check I'll have to buy some more mods.

Any idea what your gas mileage is?
brandon75173

Post by brandon75173 »

Shooting for 75 mph on the GPS. I dont care if I have to have a final drive gear custom machined with a turbo on the son of a bitch.
barndwellers_md

I'm getting right at 79 to 80 mpg with moderate driving on the stock muffler. Will have to see what this mod does for fuel mileage:

This evening I chopped the factory muffler off right where the pipe meets it and did the same to the performance muffler from Taiwan. Fitted the T muffler to the stock pipe and welded it to the stock pipe along with the stock bracket. Now the stock pipe is a smaller diameter than the T pipe, it's also 5" longer and isn't tapered like the T pipe is, BUT.....

With the stock pipe and the T muffler I get the same bottom end as the factory setup (0 to 30 in 4 seconds....another 9 sceonds from 30 to 50), WITH an increase of 2 to 3 mph uphills...which is what I need around here. Top end is the same of 64 to 65 (speedo reading). This is without any mods to the carb...tomorrow I'm going to enlarge the jet to the upper 90's diameter and see if it helps anywhere. The sound is much better too! Much more satisfied with the pipe and muffler sufficiently away from the engine, plastic housing and tire.

No more rattling noise when backing off throttle at higher RPM's now. I also found my spark plug wire was almost rubbed in half...was routed very poorly. Ya'll better check yours too!
barndwellers_md

ok...so I took the stock 85 jet and reemed it out with a torch tip cleaner...couldn't tell you what size it is now other than the fact that it is barely bigger than stock. I took two plugs out of the aircleaner.

So now I go 0 to 30 in 3 to 4 seconds....and hit fifty in another 6 seconds! 0 to 50 in 9 to 10 seconds is super fine for me with only a 106 cubic inch motor. My top end isn't any different than with the stock muffler...I'm not concerned about it right now.
brandon75173

Post by brandon75173 »

Its easy enough to get jets man. Just take yours down to your local motorcyle shop (bigger the better) and have them order them for you.
barndwellers_md

This is what I've settled on for now:

92 jet size in stock carb, 9g rollers, stock pipe (wrapped) with the v8 muffler, Taiwanese clutch/variator.

With my back on the seat and my head laying back on the back rest this will get me 63 on flats, 71 downhill (nothing steep), gobbs of power all the way through the spectrum, and 75mpg (upright position).