Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

boots
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
curlyred

Pink Buddy 125

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: boots Reply with quote

I have a stupid question.

I'm going to buy some boots to ride in, after reading that post about Renae and her poor toes.

My husband says I should buy that pair of women's army combat boots that I've wanted for a while now. All leather, steel plates in the feet, hard toes, etc. Do these sound good for the job, or should I buy some "motorcycle boots". I saw some with the "Harley Davidson" logo on them, all leather with tough soles and toes, around $100.

The army boots will run me about $160, which I don't mind spending at all, if it will save my piggies. What do you guys think? Does it matter as long as whatever I buy is solidly constructed and all leather?
robtaylor

buddy 125

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the main thing you should worry about is ankle protection. you don't really need steel shank and toes but get what's comfortable what you'll wear and what supports the ankle in case of a crash. even some hiking boots or something similar would work.

www.cannonballbuddy.com
GFridrich3

'08 Suzuki M50

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy has a pair of wolverine boots. Plain black leather, silver eye holes for the laces, and steel toes. Very subtle, and he wears them all day at work on the days he rides his bike in. Without inspecting them up close, you cant tell they arent business casual shoes. I really need to get out and buy myself a pair, probably after work tomorrow. Can't keep riding around with my New Balance running shoes, i dont want to get myself into a bad habit early on.
irishtim

2005 Genuine Stella, 2008 Genuine Buddy, 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Piaggio Fly 150

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.newenough.com
charltons

Buddy Pamplona and Kymco Agility 125

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember one of my MSF instructors saying something negative about steel toes. I like Dr. Martens, sturdy AND stylin. My wife is getting me another pair for our anniversary.
redcass

2007 Buddy SI 125

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: boots Reply with quote

curlyred wrote:
My husband says I should buy that pair of women's army combat boots that I've wanted for a while now. All leather, steel plates in the feet, hard toes, etc. Do these sound good for the job, or should I buy some "motorcycle boots". I saw some with the "Harley Davidson" logo on them, all leather with tough soles and toes, around $100.

I bought a pair of Harley boots on sale from zappos (the Harley buckle is hidden by my pants). They're really comfortable for riding, the sole is thick but more pliable than any other boots I've owned (have had many docs and army-style boots). They have a small heel (<1"), and the heel and sole help me get a solid footing quickly at every traffic light.

curlyred

Pink Buddy 125

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: BOOTS Reply with quote

So do I need something with padding at the ankle, or is a plain leather covering like the military boots enough? Looks like I'm spending over $100 no matter what I do...or close enough to it. I'll check into the Dr Martens, I've never owned a pr, so I don't know what they are like. I like the variety at newenough.com.....just don't know how to decide!
ericalm
Site Admin

STELLA FOUR STROKE FURY! + Vespa LX 150/190 + '87 Honda Helix CN250

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: BOOTS Reply with quote

curlyred wrote:
So do I need something with padding at the ankle, or is a plain leather covering like the military boots enough? Looks like I'm spending over $100 no matter what I do...or close enough to it. I'll check into the Dr Martens, I've never owned a pr, so I don't know what they are like. I like the variety at newenough.com.....just don't know how to decide!

The steel-toed combat boots really sound adequate. This is just about the only area where I think non-motorcycle/scooter gear can provide as much protection.

schlagle

Buddy 125, MP3 500

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: BOOTS Reply with quote

ericalm wrote:

The steel-toed combat boots really sound adequate. This is just about the only area where I think non-motorcycle/scooter gear can provide as much protection.

I agree as far as the boots being worn on a scooter. On a motorcycle your feet/ankles are basically pinned against a lot of steel. If you get hit your ankles provide the "meat" for a steel bumper and steel motorcycle engine sandwich. OUCH!

On a scooter the position of the feet keeps them from being crushed in this way.

Personally, I own and wear good quality motorcycle boots, just not for the trip to the store and back Wink
Dooglas

Buddy 125, GTS300, Typhoon 125

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the mid-height (6 in) boots with zipper in the Harley line. Easy on, easy off. Men's and women's sizes. Good thick sole and heel. Available in many places around town.

http://www.legendbootshop.com/products.asp?cat=81&top=HD&pg=5
MikieTaps

Honda CBR 600rr RRRed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should check out Magnum boots... they have pretty good prices, or zappos.com

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website AIM Address
schlagle

Buddy 125, MP3 500

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zappos rocks! free shipping back and forth. What's not to love.
StacyB

2007 Sunset Buddy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear Icon Bombshells, and love them! Good grip when you stop, good ankle protection, easy on/off.... and... they're really pretty!
Groovealufagus

Rattler 110

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laid my scoot down last Tuesday to avoid a collision. Was wearing my sneekers instead of my boots. My ankle is still all bruised and sore from where the bike came down on top of it and my gym sock instead of leather or padding.

Get the boots.
alienmeatsack

Genuine Stella 2008

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of Doc's Ivan style on order. I wonder if these will be sufficient to satisfy the over the ankle requirements for the MSF?

I'd hate to have to order ANOTHER pair of boots just for the course.

Xena

07 Pink Buddy 125

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StacyB wrote:
I wear Icon Bombshells, and love them! Good grip when you stop, good ankle protection, easy on/off.... and... they're really pretty!

Do you happen to have a picture Stacy?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Blur 150, various vintage Vespas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like anything, there's a scale of quality vs. expense vs. comfort vs. protection. I rarely wear anything with ankle protection but I really should. the edge of the floorboards is plenty heavy to mangle your ankle, and just putting your foot down wrong, or slipping on some road grime, can sprain your ankle pretty bad. Between that and kickstarting (the old bikes), I've messed up my ankles pretty bad a few times.

I think you're looking more for support than padding, you just don't want your ankle to bend in a weird way unnecessarily.

Those Harley-branded boots you see at Target or Farm & Fleet look pretty junky. And a lot of Dr. Martens are pretty poorly made these days, too (They moved all production to China several years ago, even for their traditional 'boutique' boots.) But either of those are hella better than canvas tennis shoes or flip flops, that's for sure.

I'm trying to find a resource about the best tread, too. It seems to me you'd want something that won't slip when you put your feet down (in oil or grime or water), but won't be so grippy that they won't slide in an accident. Chunky hiking boot soles kind of scare me for the latter reason, and also because they just take up a lot of space and feel awkward as you ride. If anyone has any tips on that, I'd appreciate it.

bunny

08 Italia 150cc 'Bonheur' 05 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500cc (not a scoot, but introduced me to road surfing)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StacyB wrote:

Just can't do wedge heels on boots. For some reason it jsut seems WRONG!

buddyboop

Buddy Italia Series, Midnight Blue GT200

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Dr. Martens also and I like them. Very comfortable and stylish. I have had comments on these everytime I wear them (good comments too ROFL )

mom's boot
polianarchy

'14 Stellamatic & '06 Buddy 125 & '78 Vespa P200E

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charltons wrote:
I remember one of my MSF instructors saying something negative about steel toes.

Shocked O RLY? Do you recall what it was? Or does anyone else here know why steel-toed boots would be bad? I have two (yes, older, Bb Wink) pairs of steel-toed Doc Martens that I use for long rides.

For regular ol' commuting, I use more comfortable boots. Indeed, ankle protection is key!

ModBud #442
JettaKnight

Series Italia 161

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

polianarchy wrote:
charltons wrote:
I remember one of my MSF instructors saying something negative about steel toes.

Shocked O RLY? Do you recall what it was? Or does anyone else here know why steel-toed boots would be bad? I have two (yes, older, Bb Wink) pairs of steel-toed Doc Martens that I use for long rides.

For regular ol' commuting, I use more comfortable boots. Indeed, ankle protection is key!

Steel toe shoes can get in the way if you're using your toes to shift gears.

I regularly wear steel toe shoes when riding.
hackett

2009 Stella 2T

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'd been wanting some cowboy boots anyway, I went and bought a pair of Justin boots with rubber soles. I've been happy with them so far, although they haven't been crash tested yet.
hackett

2009 Stella 2T

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

polianarchy wrote:
charltons wrote:

I'd heard that a sufficient amount of weight on top of the steel can make it buckle, cutting off the toes.

Then again, that much weight is going to crush your foot anyway, so I always took that as a moot point.

bunny

08 Italia 150cc 'Bonheur' 05 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500cc (not a scoot, but introduced me to road surfing)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddyboop wrote:
I have Dr. Martens also and I like them. Very comfortable and stylish. I have had comments on these everytime I wear them (good comments too ROFL )

mom's boot

I *LOVE* your Docs! LOVE them. I'm waiting on a pair of yellow 8 eyes to match my gear.

StacyB

2007 Sunset Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xena wrote:
StacyB wrote:

Do you happen to have a picture Stacy?

Here's a link! I love love love them!!!! You will probably want to buy them at least 1/2 a size larger than what you would wear in "normal" shoes.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Icon_Bombshell_Ladies_Boot--610202.html
StacyB

2007 Sunset Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunny wrote:
StacyB wrote:

Just can't do wedge heels on boots. For some reason it jsut seems WRONG!

Yea, I hear ya! It was kinda weird walking in them at first, but I adapted quickly!!! I love love love them!
Kaos

'08 vOoDoO Buddy 270cc,'74 Vespa Super with 200cc Rally180 Engine, '89 Honda CB-1 400cc Cafe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd heard that a sufficient amount of weight on top of the steel can make it buckle, cutting off the toes.

Then again, that much weight is going to crush your foot anyway, so I always took that as a moot point.

The Mythbusters did a special that disproved this. They were totally unable to reproduce this in any way.

I wear Docmarten's 14 inchers for my ride, as well as around the office. Or anywhere else I'm at for that matter. With a pair of khakis nobody can tell that they're not business casual shoes. I've also worn surplus army tanker boots as riding boots as well.
AxeYrCat

Formerly: '07 Triumph Thruxton 900. '03 Genuine Stella 150.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get a really awesome deal on some Triumph motorcycle boots on eBay... (Obviously, they make a little more brand-sense when I'm riding the Thrux.)

I'd consider scouring there for a bit if you're not in a huge hurry.

The ankle protection is really what I think is best about them. Very Happy

hackett

2009 Stella 2T

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaos wrote:

The Mythbusters did a special that disproved this. They were totally unable to reproduce this in any way.

Glad to hear it. It always carried a hint of urban legend with it, but I'd never bothered to look it up.

alienmeatsack

Genuine Stella 2008

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had ordered a pair of Doc Ivans earlier today but cancelled and am replacing them with some with higher sides. Since I am getting them for riding and then secondary for wearing, plus I always wanted a pair of the higher sided ones (not the super highs) I might as well get what I need.

I wish they made some cool Docs for doods that were patterns and not crazy flowers or bunnies. Very Happy

bunny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienmeatsack wrote:
I wish they made some cool Docs for doods that were patterns and not crazy flowers or bunnies. Very Happy

You found Docs with bunnies? WHERE?!

alienmeatsack

Genuine Stella 2008

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here:

:p

Sorry to get you all excited. I was just making a point about the cool designs and how mens just have black, brown, red and thats it.

These are what I ordered just now to replace the Ivans:

bunny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niiiiiiiiiice.

alienmeatsack

Genuine Stella 2008

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm addicted to Van's Slip-Ons so that is almost all I ever wear, ever. And I've been riding in them. Not the best idea. So i am looking forward to having something more substantial between me feetsies and the ouchies.

My old (and comfy) Docs won't cut it either. The soles are slippery as heck, esp on wet surfaces, and they provide zero ankle protection:

Johnny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a HUGE fan of Red Wing motorcycle boots:
http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722621396/page/1.html
I'm also a huge fan of Zappo's.
You can browse their woman's motorcycle boot selection here:
http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722000639/page/1.html
(although I'd steer clear of those dumb Harley boots with the stiletto heel... Rolling Eyes )

1968 Honda S90
1965 Lambretta Li150

1975 Ford Bronco
Piedmont

2008 Pamplona

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienmeatsack wrote:

Know anyone good with a paintbrush?
OScoot!

'07 Buddy 125

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I looked at all the pricey motorcyle boots and honestly didn't want shell out that kind of money. I ended up going with what I thought would serve the same purpose but cost a heck of a lot less. I found a steel-toe Brahma Work Boot (the Gus) at Wally Mart for $30. Not pretty at all, but over the ankle, sturdy leather, lace up, oil resistant non skid soles, with a Goodyear welt and quite comfortable. I also found this review online that gives a little more info. So, if you're not ready to shell out $150-$200 or more but want protection, this sure did it for me. I may not be the coolest looking thing...but who cares?
http://www.viewpoints.com/Brahma-6-Steel-Toe-Boots-Gus-review-64be0
Christy

2008 Genuine Buddy Pamplona

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stacyb, do you love the icon bombshells?? are they comfy?

I wear some harley motorcycle boots and they are fine, but very worn in...and the sole is pretty worn down. my foot actually slipped a little on the pavement today at one point (never happened before, but they might be more worn down than before...not sure) anyway, I was considering getting the bombshells b/c they are hot, but wasn't sure if they were comfortable. comfort is hugely important to me.

EPSP #76
OKBubbles

2008 Baby blue Buddy 125 "Bubbles" (RIP), 2008 Hyacinth Blue Buddy 125 "Dorothy"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got these at Famous Footwear for under $60.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/19518063/c/145073.html

They are very comfortable, and look great with whatever pants I am wearing.
Christy

2008 Genuine Buddy Pamplona

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey pink scoot ladies! i saw these and though of you:

EPSP #76
OScoot!

'07 Buddy 125

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKBubbles wrote:
I got these at Famous Footwear for under $60.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/19518063/c/145073.html

They are very comfortable, and look great with whatever pants I am wearing.

Those ARE cool looking. Hmmmm....maybe I should consider returning my black combat boots and getting these!

PostNote: Well...I DID return my clunky work boots (had just bought them) and ordered these Dr Martens today! OK...so I broke down and spent more than 30 bucks! I even got a note from Zappos telling me they "upgraded" my shipping at no cost. Surprised

Sadly....none of the stores here that carried Dr. Martens, carried women's shoes, so I ending up paying almost twice as much as Bubbles did. Oh well....I guess that's what it takes to be "cool". Wink Wink

Last edited by OScoot! on Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
charltons

Buddy Pamplona and Kymco Agility 125

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JettaKnight wrote:
polianarchy wrote:
charltons wrote:

Steel toe shoes can get in the way if you're using your toes to shift gears.

I regularly wear steel toe shoes when riding.

I think that was the reason.

StacyB

2007 Sunset Buddy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christy wrote:
stacyb, do you love the icon bombshells?? are they comfy?

I wear some harley motorcycle boots and they are fine, but very worn in...and the sole is pretty worn down. my foot actually slipped a little on the pavement today at one point (never happened before, but they might be more worn down than before...not sure) anyway, I was considering getting the bombshells b/c they are hot, but wasn't sure if they were comfortable. comfort is hugely important to me.

The bombshells are VERY comfy for me, and I love the look. I mostly wear high heels everyday, so it was really hard for me to go from "cute shoes" to the more "work boot" style when my husband got a motorcycle. I found some cute riding boots (horse-riding) on Zappos and they worked fine... that is until I saw the bombshells! I love, love love them!!!
DennisD

2 Hondas(sold) 1 Yammy 1 Buddy 1 Stella(crashed & sold) and a Trumpet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxtar Matrix II - waterproof.

Cheshire

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: BOOTS Reply with quote

curlyred wrote:

Shocked If you're going with military boots, check around at the military surplus stores. You may have to go to the next county or something, but $100+ seems outrageous for army boots. Mine cost me $20 2 years ago, and they look new.
docutech

'07 Buell Lightning XB12S '08 Buddy 125 Light Blue "Pauly" '08 Buddy Pamplona 150 "Bella"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear these:

They are great. Super comfy and they dont make my feet sweat. They are my army boots Wink
alienmeatsack

Genuine Stella 2008

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's interesting to see all the different kinds of boots people wear/love for when they scoot.

It's similar to the diversity of scooter owner/riders, old/young, men/women, you name it.

Cool stuff. Smile

scullyfu

2007 Italia (sold), 2009 buddy 125cc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/12/103/5686/ITEM/Gaerne-Womens-Black-Rose-Boots.aspx

i love these boots. good protection and very comfy, no break-in period. ankle pads. all leather. stylish, not all clunky looking. Smile

docutech

'07 Buell Lightning XB12S '08 Buddy 125 Light Blue "Pauly" '08 Buddy Pamplona 150 "Bella"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/12/103/5686/ITEM/Gaerne-Womens-Black-Rose-Boots.aspx

i love these boots. good protection and very comfy, no break-in period. ankle pads. all leather. stylish, not all clunky looking. Smile

Those ARE sexy!
BoneGirl

2013 Honda PCX 150

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally found a riding boot that I love. It's also a Doc Marten, 6-eye boot I found at DSW shoes for less than $80. It is comfortable, grippy sole, covers my ankle and is actually functional. A lot of boots hurt your feet if you have to actually do any walking in them. They are tough leather and wear wonderfully!

http://www.dmusastore.com/p-1508-9b06zptt-bark-grizzly.aspx

Oh, yeah...I forgot to tell you they look even better with big pink boot laces...of course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: