Bay to Tahoe ride

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

olhogrider

Bay to Tahoe ride

Post by olhogrider »

Anyone riding from the SF Bay to Tahoe for the Blazing Saddles Rally? I'm planning a back roads ride.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

wow that sounds like fun, I'm working my way up to a ride to SF from SC, baby steps. Wish I could ride my scoot to burning man this summer. Are there really back roads all the way there, how about the bay bridge?
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

What's your planned route from SF to Tahoe? Sounds like a great ride. :D
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

Keep in mind that the Buddys are carbureted , not fuel injected. From reading lucky's posts about some of the older vespa's heading up, I gather you would need to stop and change your carburetor jets at the higher altitudes. Otherwise you're topping out at 30mph.

I would still encourage people to take the ride though. And there is a tutorial on how to change jets on this great site I know of...

viewtopic.php?t=3561&highlight=jet+change

I was intending on having my wife drive her b125 up but couldn't find any info on changing the air/fuel mixture so I assume it's all about jetting. Maybe I'll tear that sucker apart today and see for myself...
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Lucky was talking about vintage oil burners. "Modern" engines are jetted so lean that I doubt a rejet is in order. Last year Binh rode his 50cc Honda Metropolitan up from San Jose. I was impressed. Oh yeah, Karen rode her Vespa LX150 from San Diego. I might have my "spawn" drag the trailer behind the Explorer "just in case", but I know she wants to ride. I'm starting from Concord so I don't have the bridge to deal with, but the speed limit on the bridge is 50 so a 125 should be ok.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Back roads to Antioch, river road to Old Sac possibly meet some Sac area riders, back roads to Placerville then 50 the rest of the way. Should be fun!
rajron

Post by rajron »

Wow! That’s going to be some trip – I wish I could join up. We used to drive up to Tahoe, in a car, from San Jose – with a car I thought it was a long trip. And, we took freeways, but the last stretch we always took Hwy 50 to the south shore.
As it is I’ll be in Tahoe but we aren’t arriving until right after the rally.
Have fun all!
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

olhogrider wrote:Lucky was talking about vintage oil burners. "Modern" engines are jetted so lean that I doubt a rejet is in order. Last year Binh rode his 50cc Honda Metropolitan up from San Jose. I was impressed. Oh yeah, Karen rode her Vespa LX150 from San Diego. I might have my "spawn" drag the trailer behind the Explorer "just in case", but I know she wants to ride. I'm starting from Concord so I don't have the bridge to deal with, but the speed limit on the bridge is 50 so a 125 should be ok.
Ahh, that's encouraging news. It's been driving me crazy trying to figure out if the Buddy could do it or not. I would love to see some Buddys in Tahoe. I'll be there with my wife and MP3 but her Buddy is staying home. She's 5 months pregnant and we don't think the long ride would be very comfortable for her on a scooter.
teacherquinn

Re: Bay to Tahoe ride

Post by teacherquinn »

olhogrider wrote:Anyone riding from the SF Bay to Tahoe for the Blazing Saddles Rally? I'm planning a back roads ride.
Slow, are you riding a Buddy to Tahoe??
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I think there's a scooter club in Truckee. They would know definitively if the carb needs to be rejetted. I think it might be a womens club. I can't remember where I heard about the club. I can't seem to find it on google. Maybe it was just one woman with a Buddy in Truckee who posted somewhere. Oh well.
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

I've never rejetted my carb in the 19,000 miles I've been out here on the road. I took on the Rocky Mountains, 9,000ft. and yes, my scooter speed was 40-45. (with a GPS). But most cars are having a hard time climbing those mountains also. And they don't have to be rejetted.

With the Prima Pipe installation, I believe there is an exception.
olhogrider

Re: Bay to Tahoe ride

Post by olhogrider »

teacherquinn wrote:
olhogrider wrote:Anyone riding from the SF Bay to Tahoe for the Blazing Saddles Rally? I'm planning a back roads ride.
Slow, are you riding a Buddy to Tahoe??
My hope was to get a Buddy this week. Rider's Choice Motorcycle Warehouse sold my Harley for me on June 2. They say they hold your money for 20 days, but I just got back from an hour in their shop and I still don't have MY money! I keep getting the run-around. I doubt if it will be straightened out before the rally.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Alix B I've never rejetted my carb in the 19,000 miles I've been out here on the road. I took on the Rocky Mountains, 9,000ft. and yes, my scooter speed was 40-45. (with a GPS). But most cars are having a hard time climbing those mountains also. And they don't have to be rejetted.
19,000 miles!
And up very high mountains; I’m listening to you.
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

Thanks for completely clearing that up Alix. I should have asked you earlier. I've been following your travels but it never occurred to me to ask you about this. Sometimes the path is right in front of your face...