motrcycle permit question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bjj4287

motrcycle permit question

Post by bjj4287 »

wat kinda questions do they ask?.. do i need to know like motorcycle stuff like the clutch and gears and stuff
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I would imagine it depends on your state. In California, it's just a written mulitple choice exam based on the state motorcycle license handbook. They are all sort of basic questions. There's nothing about motorcycle shifting or clutch operation that I can remember.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Go to your state DMV website. They will probably have a pdf of the motorcycle license handbook that the test is taken from. Study it and you will be prepared.
jaded

Post by jaded »

fiver1971

Post by fiver1971 »

In my state I just had to read a very brief book about motorcycle laws, mostly safe driving tips, etc. and then take a road test which they let me take on whatever bike I was going to be driving, which in this case was my buddy, so I never needed to know how to drive a manual transmition.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Yea, most states require you to know motorcycle stuff from the study book for the test. Not too hard, you just need to know some basics about real motorcycles, what levers do what, and road rules.

Your DMV should have a book to study about motorcycles, or about road laws, if they have them, get both and read up.
olhogrider

Re: motrcycle permit question

Post by olhogrider »

bjj4287 wrote:wat kinda questions do they ask?.. do i need to know like motorcycle stuff like the clutch and gears and stuff
You don't say what state you are in.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

In my state they had pictures of the handle bars and wanted me to name what button/switch they were pointing to, then they did this for the levers, like which one was rear brake, and which was gear shift.

That was probably as technical as they got in mechanics, then came lots of saftey and road rules/signs.

That's Ohio's test, so not sure if your state is any different or much different at all, but in general states have similar questions. As long as you study their material, you should be alright.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I don't know about other states, but here in NC the DMV website has a downloadable PDF version of the handbook on their website. Might want to check that out for your state. Saves the paper of the handbook, and you don't have to deal with the office before going in for your test. :)
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Re: motrcycle permit question

Post by ScooterDave »

bjj4287 wrote:wat kinda questions do they ask?.. do i need to know like motorcycle stuff like the clutch and gears and stuff
Alot of it has to do with where one goes to find out information about the various vehicle license tests.
bunny

Post by bunny »

While taking my motorcycle written test this morning, I seriously thought they gave me the wrong test. It was mostly vehicle driving, sign recognition and alcohol nad penalties questions for me...
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

chancerbeans13

Post by chancerbeans13 »

Bunny,

You had to take the written test today? In Florida, if you take the MSF course, you get a certificate, which you trade in for your endorsement. No other testing needed.
bunny

Post by bunny »

chancerbeans13 wrote:Bunny,

You had to take the written test today? In Florida, if you take the MSF course, you get a certificate, which you trade in for your endorsement. No other testing needed.
In TX, the MSF course gets you waived from your riding skills test, you still have to have a written test. And I didn't *have* to take it today, I just chose to do so while it was fresh in my head. You won't get the full M endorsement without either the MSF or the DPS riding test AND a written test.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

ferfdom

Post by ferfdom »

Took my permit test this morning (Louisville, KY). 30 questions total, but I got enough right that the computer shut off after question 25. The questions were all about safety and local laws.