Parking

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Kaje

Parking

Post by Kaje »

I don't have a scooter yet but I plan on getting a buddy as soon as the internationals come out and I've been wondering how everyone parks their scooters. Do you just park it like a car in a parking lot or try to chain it to something? I plan on riding it mostly to work and school, at work there is just a normal parking lot where I was thinking I could chain it to a cart corral. At my school there is a parking garage with motorcycle spots but I don't know if I should lock it up there as well. I'm just worried that it seems kind of easy to steal but maybe I'm just paranoid.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Well... Yeah, they do get stolen. This most often happens overnight, so the most important thing is to have a secure place to keep your scoot while at home. Otherwise, it's kind of a "use your best judgment" thing. If you don't have a place to chain the scoot, you can use a disc lock. There are various alarms for scooters as well. As many people have said, though, if someone wants to steal it bad enough, it can be done.

When out and about, I rarely lock my scooter up. I park in a garage at work and have left the scoot there overnight. But that garage has 24 hour security.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
SERIES ITALIA RIDER

Post by SERIES ITALIA RIDER »

yep, what ericalm said is totally spot on... use judgement on the safe side and you wont be sorry, i too use a disc-lock most times.... i lock it with a cable lock if i will be away for a long time, but keep in mind scoots dont weigh a lot and it is easy for a theif to pull up with a truck and 2 guys just lift it up into the bed and take off....

judge the area you park on the safe side and you'll be good to go...
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I agree with Eric and Cory- it's kind of a crapshoot when it comes to parking.

At home I have it garaged, at work I created a spot where I can chain it. I bought an extra chain to leave locked to the pole and I'm not in an actual parking spot so my facilities guy loves me because parking is tight there.

When I'm out, I carry a disc lock and use it pretty much only. Other than home and work, I've not yet left the scooter parked anywhere for very long so I don't carry an extra chain.

And it seems that common sense, politeness, and good judgment help when determining if it's cool to park on sidewalks, etc. Always make sure you're out of pedestrian paths, ask a business owner if they mind you parking on the sidewalk. Taking a full spot in a busy commercial lot, while the legal thing to do, can get you tipped over. Make sure you're visible to a car hurriedly pulling in to the lot. I've tied up to those cart corrals as well and once when I came out, another scooter rider had shared my spot so I guess it was a good thing to do.

Pretty much if someone really wants your scoot they'll get it, so also have good theft insurance!
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

I am so glad this topic came up. I have been fighting this issue since I bought the scooter.

First the simple solution. When I go to the store I use my bike lock to secure it to something that is immovable. At the grocery store I chain it to the pay phone. I have yet to have an issue with this.

I do need to buy a disc lock for times where I can't find a place to chain it to.

At the apartment it has been a bit more problematic. The complex doesn't give a crap if the scooter is stolen. They are not helping me out at all. I was chaining it to a post right behind a handicapped spot. The scooter was not blocking the spot, and was actually in the grass. An old hag who has in-home care visit 3 times a day wrote a really nasty noter about how I parked it.

My current solution at home is to chain it around a tree. So far no one has complained.
redcass

Post by redcass »

The longest mine is outside is during the workday, and I park in a motorcycle lot. I think there's some safety in numbers. Of course, there are only a handful of us after October....

I use a disc lock, but I think a chain around a tree is a great idea.
RedCass
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

chaining to a tree is cool but I've been told to watch out for:

Chaining to an easily cut tree

Hurting the tree trunk with your chain

Pissing off someone who thinks you will hurt the tree trunk with your chain

Birds. Tree. Seat. Bad combo.
sotied

Post by sotied »

I think I need a longer chain. I have a NY Chain but it's the original chain that's only a few feet long and I have to get REALLY close to stuff to lock up.

It's even too short for me to lock from the center stand around stuff so I've been using the rear shock and finding thin, but solid objects to lock to.

Has anyone had any luck going to Lowes or Home Despot and buying a length of thick chain? I think it's only about a buck or so a foot which makes it way more affordable than an $80 Kryptonite.

But is this stuff as hard to hack through?

Might go look tomorrow....I have a cable lock that is MONDO long, I need to find some middle ground.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

sotied wrote:I think I need a longer chain. I have a NY Chain but it's the original chain that's only a few feet long and I have to get REALLY close to stuff to lock up.

It's even too short for me to lock from the center stand around stuff so I've been using the rear shock and finding thin, but solid objects to lock to.

Has anyone had any luck going to Lowes or Home Despot and buying a length of thick chain? I think it's only about a buck or so a foot which makes it way more affordable than an $80 Kryptonite.

But is this stuff as hard to hack through?

Might go look tomorrow....I have a cable lock that is MONDO long, I need to find some middle ground.

I have an almost 6' OnGuard Mastiff 5021 Bicycle Chain Lock. I love this thing as it's just long enough so I don't have to have the scoot up against whatever I'm locking to. I've used this on all my scoots and my one complaint is it can be difficult to get it through Zidan's center post. I have it down now, but it took some practice. I got it at a great bicycle shop, but you can probably get it online cheaper (I wanted to support my local shop).
bulldog1967

Post by bulldog1967 »

I have the On Guard Beast 7' chain. I also have, at home the stronghold motorcycle anchor in my driveway.

coffeebrown

Post by coffeebrown »

I just spoke to the parking gods here at my office and asked where I can park my scoot. They said I can NOT use the bike rack; it's not for motorized vehicles. So, they offered me a parking space (a non-parking hashed off area) but now I am really worried about how to secure my scooter. The area IS right in front of the main entrance to the building and is located in a lot that requires card access. Should I not worry?

Do I get a chain long enough to go through both wheels? Or is a disc lock sufficient?

Suggestions???
Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

Unless you're in a really high crime area I wouldn't worry about it. I'm in a secured lot at work, and don't even use my alarm most of the time.
Really.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Always park next to a more expensive bike. That works for me.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

illnoise wrote:Always park next to a more expensive bike. That works for me.

Bb.
Come to think of it I do usully park next to a fully-decked Goldwing.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Piedmont wrote:Come to think of it I do usully park next to a fully-decked Goldwing.
Ah, that's too expensive and too big/heavy to steal, plus they're a dime a dozen and not popular at all on the black market. You want to park next to a Ducati Paul Smart 1000 SportClassic.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

No way I would worry about that parking situation, Coffee. Right by the entrance? Secured by key card access only? Please, brother. Sounds like primo parking and I imagine there's no safer place for it!!

Personally, I don't have a lock at all. Park in a regular spot at work, but my building is a smallish 3 story thing. There's another unlocked scoot in the parking lot from I believe the dentist downstairs. Kymco 150.
I don't lock it at the grocery store as I am usually in and out in 10 minutes.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

No lock can totally prevent your scooter from being stolen if someone really wants it, but they can't hurt, and they slow down a determined thief or repel a casual one.

Nothing beats really good insurance, though. Make sure you've got comprehensive coverage. Buddys are, gladly, replaceable!

Bb.
coffeebrown

Post by coffeebrown »

Thanks for the speedy responses guys!

7eregrine Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:46 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No way I would worry about that parking situation, Coffee. Right by the entrance? Secured by key card access only? Please, brother.

Actually..........it's "sister". :)

I am upgrading my insurance today to full coverage. Nationwide told me I could get it thru them but after I paid for liabilty, they called back and said I could NOT upgrade to full coverage!!! Suckas!!! So.............off to Progressive I go!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Something from my bicycle experience: have a goodly handful of different parking spots at your destination. Pick which one to use at random and keep it mixed up. Being reliable and predictable as clockwork for a thief is on the way to asking for it. The thieves that aren't deterred by heavy chains and quality locks usually prefer to stake out the bike and take their time.

You present a frustratingly unpredictable target if they can't anticipate you. ;)
hackett

Post by hackett »

I seem to remember that people who vary their routines also get into fewer collisions, too. I'm not sure how that correlation works, and I could be grossly misremembering.

Either way, there are five different motorcycle parking areas at my campus. I've been choosing a different one each day, randomly. Aside from what you already mentioned, it gives me an excuse to ride around a little longer. :D
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
sotied

Post by sotied »

Makes perfect sense. I know when I'm in a cage and doing the same old route to somewhere I zone out.

Similar effect could occur if you ride the same route every day...even on a scoot.

A variation of roads makes you pay attention to the curves, the road surface and anything else that might pup up. Like the hound dog I saw today that hopped toward the road and then stopped. He moved like a deer and I was wondering if Scootle and I might be venison-bound.

But he stopped and didn't even bark as I went by.
Syd

Post by Syd »

illnoise wrote:
Piedmont wrote:Come to think of it I do usully park next to a fully-decked Goldwing.
Ah, that's too expensive and too big/heavy to steal, plus they're a dime a dozen and not popular at all on the black market. You want to park next to a Ducati Paul Smart 1000 SportClassic.
Nice idea. I'll make sure I inch away from the Burgman and towards the Duc 1098S :D
The majority is always sane - Nessus
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

bulldog1967 wrote:I have the On Guard Beast 7' chain. I also have, at home the stronghold motorcycle anchor in my driveway.

hey bulldog1967, how do you like the stronghold anchor? Even though I now can park in a garage, I still lock 2 scoots to a metal ladder (one on each side) because I want to make it as annoying as possible for someone to steal (and I keep the P in gear which saved it from being stolen in March). Do you feel the anchor is solidly attached to the ground? I was going to build something but that thing looks perfect.
bulldog1967

Post by bulldog1967 »

siobhan wrote:
bulldog1967 wrote:I have the On Guard Beast 7' chain. I also have, at home the stronghold motorcycle anchor in my driveway.

hey bulldog1967, how do you like the stronghold anchor? Even though I now can park in a garage, I still lock 2 scoots to a metal ladder (one on each side) because I want to make it as annoying as possible for someone to steal (and I keep the P in gear which saved it from being stolen in March). Do you feel the anchor is solidly attached to the ground? I was going to build something but that thing looks perfect.
It works great. Once it is installed, (which IS a pain in the ass), it ain't going ANYWHERE. When I sell the house, it'll stay with it!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Bulldog1967: how do you prevent that thing from being removed? Drill/grind out the top of the screws?