Paint Suggestions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

emoboy44

Paint Suggestions

Post by emoboy44 »

Does any one have recommendations for what type of paint to use on the body? I want to put a really cool argyle pattern on the frint of my italia but don't know what type of paint will stick to the plastic.
gottascoot

Post by gottascoot »

Anywhere that sells paint will carry Krylon Fusion. That stuff is WON-DER-FUL. Used it in my car!

Made for plastic.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

There are several threads around, but Krylon Fusion seems to be the paint of choice among painters here. I'm sure someone will dig up a link around here for you, but if not I will try to find one for you later.
~Celebrate~
Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

Go to an auto paint supply store, ask them for Rattle Can help. Fusion is good, automotive paint is great. You can even get custom colors.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Piedmont wrote:Go to an auto paint supply store, ask them for Rattle Can help. Fusion is good, automotive paint is great. You can even get custom colors.
Okay, Smartie Pants,
I see you are home safely. So do you have an auto paint supply store you suggest around here where I can try to talk someone into making a little touch-up paint for the gravel dings? They don't seem to have the variety in nail polish that some Buddy owners have found for my cream colored gal.
~Celebrate~
Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

runtotorun121 wrote:
Piedmont wrote:Go to an auto paint supply store, ask them for Rattle Can help. Fusion is good, automotive paint is great. You can even get custom colors.
Okay, Smartie Pants,
I see you are home safely. So do you have an auto paint supply store you suggest around here where I can try to talk someone into making a little touch-up paint for the gravel dings? They don't seem to have the variety in nail polish that some Buddy owners have found for my cream colored gal.
Dagnabbit. :P A PM really is coming, you passed me at the start of a LOOONG weekend.

No scoot-specific experience, but a bit of experience with paint on plastic(art-school dropout, and quasi-misguided youth). IMHO Fusion can deliver a pretty darn good paintjob, but it's surpassed by a good priming and a good clear-coat. Nothing can beat Fusion for simplicity though, that's for darn sure.

The only thing locally I can think of for touch-up is calling around and asking. Apparently there are auto-paint stores that will sell to consumers.

Edit- We have two places, both in Independence that sell Auto-Paint.
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I used Rustoleum paint that said it worked on plastic. I lightly scuffed the paint with fine sandpaper and cleaned the parts with windex before painting. I painted buddy a few months ago and it's holding up great. FYI: my bike sits outside, but is occasionally covered.

I noticed that they sell commercial grade paint guns at Home Depot last weekend. If you have an air compressor the guns run around $50 and up. They should work great with automotive paint.
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

thanks for all the tips. I think I'm going to go with automotive paint. we have some great paint shops around here and a good firend of mine is an art school, grad, and superbly talented. I'll post pics when I'm done.
SarahScoot

Post by SarahScoot »

GottaScoot - I wish I lived where you live, then. While running errands this past Saturday I looked around for Krylon Fusion paint, but it is not common in Seattle, apparently. None at Target (didn't really expect it there anyway) or Home Depot, and Schuck's Auto Supply only had some ugly hunter green and navy. Looks like I may have to suck it up and order online :( Suppose I'll survive...
Christy

Post by Christy »

i can't wait to see your argyle scooter! i love me some argyle!
EPSP #76
Jake

Post by Jake »

In my experience, it's much more about the prep and process than the paint you use.
Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

SarahScoot wrote:GottaScoot - I wish I lived where you live, then. While running errands this past Saturday I looked around for Krylon Fusion paint, but it is not common in Seattle, apparently. None at Target (didn't really expect it there anyway) or Home Depot, and Schuck's Auto Supply only had some ugly hunter green and navy. Looks like I may have to suck it up and order online :( Suppose I'll survive...
Home Depot Depot and Target don't carry it here either, and I wouldn't think an auto supply place would either. Try Sherwin Williams or Rodda.
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

Looking for Krylon. Visit this link

http://www.krylon.com/locator/
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.