Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When is it too HOT to ride?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
peabody99

2015 BMW F700GS, 2018 BMW310r, 2016 Yamaha TW200, 1996 Honda Helix(sold), 2007 Buddy 125 (sold 2017)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: When is it too HOT to ride? Reply with quote

We talk about how low we can go, but what is too hot? I am thinking of switching to the car today for an appointment 12 miles away, all stop and go, 90 plus degrees, no shade and high humidity by the time I would leave. Minimum gear would be boots, jeans, gloves, 3/4 helmet. I think it would be a more miserable drive than if it were 35 degrees.

Does anyone else have heat limits? This is a professional meeting so I can not go in drenched in sweat.

I am still on the fence but wonder where others draw the line
Tysonviolin

2007 Buddy 125!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a personal preference- We had a 115 heat wave recently and the only thing I could do to enjoy the weather was ride. And BTW, my Buddy loved the heat.
alienmeatsack

Genuine Stella 2008

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it depends on where I am going and if I need to dress nicer and smell "non stinky" when I get there.

I wish our office had a gym, I could at least come in and get clean, put on fresh clothes when it's hotter than Georgia asphalt out there.

I tend to get a heat rash if I am out in the sun in the heat a lot. So I have to watch out for that. But otherwise, unless I have obligations that require a car, I will scoot to work and scoot to the store, etc.

Regardless of the heat.

tcofer

Buddy 50

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Not to Hot Reply with quote

I agree, we just hit about 111 here and I was reading to work in suit pants, shirt and tie and didn't have and issues. The wind provides the a/c even if it's like warm a/c it's cooling.
r0sa

07 Buddy 125

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since its a professional meeting, i recommend driving ur cage. with high temps and humidity, you are going to be drenched in sweat by the time u reach ur destination Sad

lately its been really hot here in houston, i avoid riding in the heat, so i only go out on the scoot early in the morning before 1pm or after 6pm when the sun is about to set

ever since i got my scoot, i think i got at least 5 shades darker Shocked
alienmeatsack

Genuine Stella 2008

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0sa wrote:
ever since i got my scoot, i think i got at least 5 shades darker Shocked

I've got the crazy farmer tan going on my arms and face and the rest of me is white as a ghost. lol Smile

hackett

2009 Stella 2T

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just as pale as ever, since I'm so geared up. Sigh
alienmeatsack

Genuine Stella 2008

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I think is wierd is the cooling effect you get when you are moving even when it's over 100f. But as soon as you stop, it's bake city.
beagldog

Buddy St. Tropez

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I posted my question about hot weather gear. It's hot but you just gotta ride because the Buddy is so awesome and since I've pretty much parked the car on the weekends, temperature can't be a factor.

Must ride scooter! Wink
StacyB

2007 Sunset Buddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienmeatsack wrote:
What I think is wierd is the cooling effect you get when you are moving even when it's over 100f. But as soon as you stop, it's bake city.

If you're wearing a vented gear: The holes in your gear act as an evaporative cooler by cooling the moisture on your body (sweat) but still retaining it and not drying your skin/body out. You actually lose a lot of moisture on a bike/scooter (Note: even when it isn't hot and that's why you always need to keep hydrated). At a stop, there is no wind, so no cooling effect, and you bake instead.

When we rode to Big Bend, we bought cooling vests that we wore under our summer jackets (put them in water, wring 'em out, put 'em on). Our other friends thought we were crazy riding around in 110 degree heat with all that gear on. But.... We weren't the ones that almost had a heat stroke. It was our friends in shorts, tank tops and sneakers. Think about the nomads in the desert, they wear fabric from head to toe and they stay cool. Same principle.
alienmeatsack

Genuine Stella 2008

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if wearing clothing meant for sports use like wicking shirts and such would help too under the jackets and such?
pugbuddy

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When we rode to Big Bend, we bought cooling vests

Never heard of them! Where can we find them?

Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
hcstrider

2007 Buddy 125 Italia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienmeatsack wrote:
I wonder if wearing clothing meant for sports use like wicking shirts and such would help too under the jackets and such?

When the temperature is hot, I always wear one of my running T-Shirts made out of a wicking material such as CoolMax because it seems to keep me cooler than a cotton T-Shirt. A few days ago I went on a 60 mile ride while the temperature was 91 degrees and the relative humidity was 87%. I was wearing one of my short sleeved running T-Shirts made out of CoolMax plus a Corazzo Speedway jacket (plus a full face helmet, gloves and steel toed boots). During this ride I never felt that I was hot. My opinion is that the wicking type of clothing helps to keep me cooler.

alienmeatsack

Genuine Stella 2008

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to try it. I was going to buy a few wicking shirts for when I walk with the dog, but if I can use them when scooting too... more betta!
bunny

08 Italia 150cc 'Bonheur' 05 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500cc (not a scoot, but introduced me to road surfing)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienmeatsack wrote:
I will have to try it. I was going to buy a few wicking shirts for when I walk with the dog, but if I can use them when scooting too... more betta!

The MSF instructors suggested those CoolMax or UnderArmour shirts and bike shorts for hot weather riding. I thought that was a pretty good idea.

peabody99

2015 BMW F700GS, 2018 BMW310r, 2016 Yamaha TW200, 1996 Honda Helix(sold), 2007 Buddy 125 (sold 2017)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I survived. the ride out was hell on earth, dusty road contruction everywhere...hot new pavement being poured elsewhere.Luckily storms cooled off the ride home.

Anyway-I am going to look into some of these vented shirts. I would like something to stop farmer tan too. It is awful. White legs and torso, tan arms and neck-eek. Sun screen does not seem to be strong enough either. Is a vented jacket actually cooler than short sleeves, or only when moving?
alienmeatsack

Genuine Stella 2008

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way it's explained to me, bare arms sweating do not cool as quickly as arms covered in a fabric that helps wick away the moisture. So if this is true, it should be cooler as a whole to have a mesh jacket on.

It sounds wonky to me, but what do I know, I am a stupid old fart Very Happy

mybuddy&me

Buddy 150 Saint-Tropez

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Tucson, if I had a heat limit I wouldn't ride.
The past month and a half have been 100+ almost everyday.
I commute almost solely on my Buddy.
It sucks but you get used to it.

The jacket helps a lot. The dress shirt and tie however don't breathe well.
It's so much better when I don't have to wear them.

The helmet helps a ton. when I pull up my face shield its hotter then when I keep it down (heat from the asphalt).

Today I wore a sweater so on the ride home I will shove it under the seat.
So I'll be nice and cool Confused
Ok not so much, but it is much better.

Cheshire

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm...when eggs fry on the asphalt? Wink

Seriously? When I start having to worry about heat exhaustion and/or heat stroke. If I get dizzy, that's too hot.
"Polar" water bottles are awesome (keep your [non-carbonated] beverage/water cold MUCH longer), as are those funky bandana thingits that absorb water and tie around your neck. Stick 'em in the fridge for a few hours before riding...nice!
If you're sweating like a horse, don't forget to hydrate AND to put a little bit of salt in your water. If your salt levels in your blood get too low, it can get bad QUICK. Judge by how much salty sweat is pouring off ya, then countermeasure accordingly.
alienmeatsack

Genuine Stella 2008

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically keep my CamelBak bottle with me on summer rides but it's easy to forget. So I stop into my local QT and grab some gatoraid or similar and a bottle or 2 of water just in case.

You forget how much you lose until you ride in the heat!

DennisD

2 Hondas(sold) 1 Yammy 1 Buddy 1 Stella(crashed & sold) and a Trumpet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its never too hot to ride.
peabody99

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my hats off to you. Even though I spent a large part of my adult life in FL, I roasted!

I stil think Cali-forn-i-a is where the most comfortable year round scootering would be in US. Don't get be started I would in Europe in a heart beat
dubbyd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of the time it's not the heat, it's the humidity. Humid days are the worst.
Xena

07 Pink Buddy 125

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had so many humid sticky hot days lately that I sometimes do consider (for about one minute) taking the car and sitting in the cool air for the mere 5 mile ride, but then think, why the hell sit in a car and waste that petrol?

And I wise up and get on the scooter and smile the second I pull out of the drive and onto the road and remember why I love this so much.
DennisD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to hate me for this, but I swear it is true.

Its not the heat, its not the humidity, its not the rain, its not the cold. It is all attitude. Plan for it. Enjoy it.

There is no such thing as bad weather, only improper dress. Now, get out there and have fun!
Xena

07 Pink Buddy 125

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisD wrote:
You're going to hate me for this, but I swear it is true.

Its not the heat, its not the humidity, its not the rain, its not the cold. It is all attitude. Plan for it. Enjoy it.

There is no such thing as bad weather, only improper dress. Now, get out there and have fun!

That is SO true Smile

I have gotten caught in rain and played it off as if it were no big deal while inside I really wanted to be dry...It's all in the attitude...
RedRanger3

2007 Suzuki Burgman 650

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time I'm wearing a mesh jacket with armor. I also wear a full face helmet and "goggles" so i can leave the face shield up (my scoot has a windshield). I've ridden in 100 + temps. it's hot at times, but tolerable.
scoots4me

Buddy 150 (St. Tropez)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was hot and sticky today but I scooted to work where I have to dress business casual most days but Friday. I was fine except my head - got the sweaty hair look today. I have a client meeting tomorrow and need to wear a suit so I'll cage it. Then I'll evaluate the next day - if no suit is needed, I'll scoot again. I'm just taking it all day by day. No need to guilt yourself if you can't or don't want to scoot that day. Just do what feels best. For me, not looking wrinkled and sweaty at my meeting tomorrow is what I think is best (aside from the fun factor...suits are no fun) so I'm caging it. Think of it this way - the "I can't/don't want to scoot today days will make the scooting days that much better". No?
DennisD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoots4me wrote:
It was hot and sticky today but I scooted to work where I have to dress business casual most days but Friday. I was fine except my head - got the sweaty hair look today. I have a client meeting tomorrow and need to wear a suit so I'll cage it. Then I'll evaluate the next day - if no suit is needed, I'll scoot again. I'm just taking it all day by day. No need to guilt yourself if you can't or don't want to scoot that day. Just do what feels best. For me, not looking wrinkled and sweaty at my meeting tomorrow is what I think is best (aside from the fun factor...suits are no fun) so I'm caging it. Think of it this way - the "I can't/don't want to scoot today days will make the scooting days that much better". No?

Yes. I prefer the "don't want to" over the "I can't". It seems more straight forward and honest.
Those requiring suits lead a hard life. I was favored to escape that after a few years and find myself freely sweating as I wander outside on the plant and check out what is going on. Working in operations it is acceptable to sweat in the director's office while sitting in on presentations by suits as long as you don't sweat on the donuts. Mr. Green Working outdoors is fantastic. I would go nuts trapped in a cubicle or office building with no escape until lunch or quitting time.
Long live the blue collars! Very Happy
Eddy Merckx

07 Buddy 125 Black & silver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just where less "gear" ...
StacyB

2007 Sunset Buddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugbuddy wrote:
Quote:
When we rode to Big Bend, we bought cooling vests

Never heard of them! Where can we find them?

We bought ours locally (MotoLiberty here in Dallas so it must have been the "Liberty Vest" lol). I don't remember them being this expensive, but it was a couple of years ago.

Here's a link to a few choices:
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/CoolAndHeat.html
Dibber

2007 Buddy 125, 2012 Vespa GTS300Super

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the plastic body parts start to melt.
rajron

Buddy Sold - Vespa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love warm weather, but those guys in AZ, that’s jus plain HOT – I would be driving a car.
Tysonviolin

2007 Buddy 125!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peabody99 wrote:
Don't get be started I would in Europe in a heart beat

HUH????

Syd

'09 GTS250

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rajron wrote:
I love warm weather, but those guys in AZ, that’s jus plain HOT – I would be driving a car.

Some time ago my brother gave everyone in the family The Pocket Ref, compiled by Thomas J. Glover for Christmas (I have no connection to the book except this story). We all chuckled about my brother, then every one of us went about using it - regularly. This book is chock full of tables: drill indexes, metric conversions, wire sizes, you name it. Including summer's answer to the Wind Chill Factor - The Heat Index.

I use it all the time when talking to friends in the East. My 115 at 5% humidity (not unusual this time of year) feels less hot than their 90 at 80%. Then a quick search today located this site: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/jkl/?n=heat_index_calculator. I'll remember it because it's easier to read than the Pocket Ref. <g>

But you're right, rajron, it's jus plain HOT.

Glen G

Vespa GTS 250

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Please Reply with quote

...................PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you guys kidding me.... It's been 115-118 every day on my drive home in Phoenix for the last week. Haven't missed a day yet on my Buddy... toughen up People!!! The answer in 122, I believe that is the temp that they close down Phoenix Sky Harbor airport... You know why... Air is too thin for planes to take off and most planes have not been tested over 120 degrees... glad I fly out of there so much!

Love,

Glen
peabody99

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tysonviolin wrote:
peabody99 wrote:
Don't get be started I would in Europe in a heart beat

HUH????

opps. Should it say "live in Mediterranean" europe in a heartbeat. I like temperate climates.
Penguinboy

Buddy 150 Pamplona & Buddy 150 St.Tropez

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For these hot, muggy days in the Northeast, I pretty much only wear these really cheap shirts from Target- Champion C9. Champion makes them, they only sell this particular line at Target, they wick, they're anti-microbial and they come in a lot of colors. They cost from $10-$14 and they work just as good as runners shirts that cost 3-4x as much. Highly recommended!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: