SCOOTERS: 2007 Genuine Stella

Product reviews. Read-Only.

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Legend

SCOOTERS: 2007 Genuine Stella

Post by Legend »

Below is a short review of the Stella. (IMHO)

Year: 07
Engine: 150 cc 2 stroke

Miles- 1522
Average MPG- 68.70
Days owned- 44
Average Miles per day- 34.59
Miles to work- 12 each way
Vacation days not ridden since ownership- 12
True Miles per day- 47.56
Top speed- 56 MPH
Gears- 4

The Stella jumped out at me when I entered the showroom for the first time. I had just sold my truck and was looking for a reliable source of everyday transportation. I orginially went in to look at the Buddy 125 and 150 but as soon as I saw Stella, I knew she was the one.

The Stella is a great riding scooter. Decent top end, ok handleing and lack of storage room make her a modest investment for my needs, at best. What the Stella lacks in amenities though, she more than makes up for in style. There is a not a light I stop at where people are not staring. I have had people gathered around my scoot when I come out of a firm at work and all have 20 questions to ask. If you like attention, get a Stella.

Pros:As stated above, her looks are stunning. she has gracious lines and wears them well. I love the classic style and often she is mistaken for a mid 60's scoot by people who think they are in the know.
In my personal, humble opinion, I think she has the storage space deserved of a scoot this fine. You know up front what you getting in this area, if it doesn't fit your needs, move on. With that said, there are front racks, rear racks and top cases to be had. I run all three at times and have more than enough room for work stuff and groceries.
The ergonomics are peachy keen and everything is within easy reach. I would not change a thing here. She shifts smooth, the mirrors are nicely placed and have plenty of adjustment. The foot platform is plenty roomy which allows for multiple riding positions on the bike.
Handeling is average for this scoot. I personally run my scoot hard, and I mean hard, and she has stepped up to the occassion everytime. Anyone who says otherwise possibly may just need more experience on scoots. I can take corners agressively and she will pop back up with ease. I am thinking of going whitewalls but cannot justify the price at this time.
Fuel economy: This is the one area where I will not be even remotely wishywashy. It sucks. 68.70 average MPG on a 150cc scoot is horrible. I was expecting closer to the 80 to 82 mark and am way off.What is hard about getting 80MPG on a scoot Genuine? I have heard stories about Stella owners getting this economy but I am not. If it varies that much from scoot to scoot, there is a problem with the quality control. This is a MAJOR letdown. I have noticed a difference in running higher octane.

Cons:
As much as I love my Stella, there is room for improvement. The engine is a bit underpowered for what it is. Top end of 56 is lacking for what this engine could do. I am not talking about racing here but another 10 MPH would be a welcome addition and I doubt it would take much to get her there.
Shifting. Lets get this in the open now. I like being in control of my gearing. I really do but, there is always a but, an automatic would be stellar for someone who commutes everyday. I know, I know. People buy the Stella because she is a manual but why not have both available. Again, the classic lines with an automatic would be so much more convient for everyday use. Plus I think you would get a bit more power from her just by this small change. (I had a friend say to just get a Vespa then, after I told him the price difference, he relented)
Aftermarket parts are not as available as they could be. I am actually happy with what is offered but am very dissatified with the quality of those parts. None of them every fit right and who wants to drill into their scoot?

Conclusion: All in all a great purchase. She's reliable, stylish an sexy. She gets decent economy and is fun to drive. Looking for a first or possible second scoot? Get a Stella. you will not be disappointed
"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
BGK

Re: Stella Review

Post by BGK »

As far as cons go, I can understand them. But overall they are all very answerable. First the speed. If you want to add a STOCK p125/150 exhaust it will pick things up a bit, but not quite 10 mph. I will almost never advise a sito plus exhaust as the hit and miss construction along with the extra annoying popcorn noise make it an item to pass on in my opinion. The next step is to install a DR180 kit prepped by hot rod Al or an off the shelf Malossi 166 kit. With those two mods you'll get your extra 10 mph and then some with all the reliability of stock if properly installed. Together a well under 500.00 investment is well worth it. Second, the automatic question. While it is possible and rumors abound, it will take a lot of work to cram an automatic engine in a classic Vespa chassis. It's not a matter of just swapping things out. It's an entirely different beast. People wanting both is definitely a case of folks wanting their cake and eating it too. Thus, I feel people are asking too much to combine the two. I'd never rule it out, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Third, accessories. There is probably no other scooter on the planet that has more options for aftermarket accessories (not to mention performance options) than the Vespa P series. Good stuff is out there but most are too cheap to pay for quality. Also, things won't hold on by magic. If it requires drilling then you can bet it's either A) cheap or B) tested and tried other ways only to find that the stuff won't work any other way. It may take a bit of knack to get it right, but there usually is a 'right' way to install it with the least effort required. It's kinda like the Vespa engine itself. The first time you work on one you curse the engineers. Then after a while you can appreciate so many ingenious ways they've pulled off the nearly impossible. And once you get it, it makes perfect sense.

Very good short term review though!
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

As a stock vehicle, it's just fine. I have one in the garage, all stock. Runs great and starts on the first turn.

My friend has one that is totally kitted, inside and out. Truth is, that thing will give my Vespa 250 a run for it's money.

The cool thing about the Stella is; you can get some real job satisfaction out of getting your hands greasy. Or leave it as it is and enjoy it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Stella Review

Post by ericalm »

Legend wrote:Fuel economy: This is the one area where I will not be even remotely wishywashy. It sucks. 68.70 average MPG on a 150cc scoot is horrible. I was expecting closer to the 80 to 82 mark and am way off.What is hard about getting 80MPG on a scoot Genuine? I have heard stories about Stella owners getting this economy but I am not. If it varies that much from scoot to scoot, there is a problem with the quality control. This is a MAJOR letdown. I have noticed a difference in running higher octane.
Did you buy this scoot new? What sort of break-in did you do? Have you mentioned this to your dealer?

Not saying it's not a QC problem; I'm not familiar enough with the Stella to know what's common. But other factors may be a part of it.

Genuine states the MPG is 85+. They're usually somewhat conservative in their numbers—maybe optimistic, but not by that degree. The current Genuine pamphlet has the Buddy 125/150 MPGs at 90+. Most riders get close to that; some in low 80s, some closer to 100. But I haven't heard of anyone with over 1K miles getting MPGs as far off as what you're experiencing on your Stella. If other owners are getting much better numbers, you may want to have your scoot checked out.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
spinbud

Post by spinbud »

Check the latest addition of 'Scootering' for why your stella doesn't get the mileage/power you expect. They review a Stella knock-off. It is controlled down to meet european EPA-ish standards. Thus mods are available to enhance your experience. I agree, you buy a stella for the style not the MPG. Want MPH, get plastic.