Roadside Assistance Program - Tell me your stories!!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MNBuddy

Roadside Assistance Program - Tell me your stories!!!

Post by MNBuddy »

Who has used the Roadside Assistance Program? I used it once and had a little hassle while they tried to tell me that the trip to the dealer was farther than was covered and I would have to pay quite a lot to get my Buddy towed. After I quoted them the limitations in the material I received they put me on hold for a moment and then came back and towed it with no problem and no further discussion.

I have read some comments on this forum that sound similar to what I was told at first by the Customer Service Rep I spoke with.

Please take the time to tell mw about your experiences both good and bad.

If the Roadside Service provider is screwing around with the program via misinformation I think Genuine needs to hear about it.

MNBuddy
[/b]
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Does anyone know the company Genuine uses for their Roadside Assistance Program? I had a problem getting my Vespa towed via their RAP once. But the problem was, actually, finding someone to tow a bike on a Sunday afternoon in LA. Eventually, it was towed by my dealer (3 days later) and I got a reimbursement.

I mention this because the varied experiences with the program could be due to your location and he availability of 3rd party (4th party, actually) tow companies.

My advice either way: after one year, get AAA RV/Motorcycle coverage. If you already have AAA, it's quite cheap... under $30/year, I think.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:My advice either way: after one year, get AAA RV/Motorcycle coverage. If you already have AAA, it's quite cheap... under $30/year, I think.
Since I got nailed on this once before, let me say that, to your basic AAA, you have to add "Plus," then the special "RV" policy. So, you actually have to go two levels up from the basic AAA policy to have coverage for your scooter. As Eric says, it's not that expensive and the coverage is great. You have a prob, you call them, they come and get you. Can you tell this is the voice of experience speaking? :wink:
Keys

Post by Keys »

My dealings with the roadside assistance program fall on the "positive" side. I called the number. The young lady took my info, called the appropriate towing company and called me back to say they had been contacted. 40 minutes later I was on my way home. End of deal.

Only thing that took me by surprise was I wasn't aware there is a $150.00 towing limit. It's probably in the info packet that I didn't read.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Speaking of the info packet, how long after your purchase did everyone wait for this stuff to come? "Cause I still haven't seen anything.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gt1000 wrote:Speaking of the info packet, how long after your purchase did everyone wait for this stuff to come? "Cause I still haven't seen anything.
Took about a month.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

gt1000 wrote:Speaking of the info packet, how long after your purchase did everyone wait for this stuff to come? "Cause I still haven't seen anything.
Purchase was 7-29, RAP cards arrived in mail this wk... I never asked dealer how to get them (kept forgetting) so I don't have any idea if the delay was due to dealer not turning something in or if it was Genuine.
MNBuddy

Post by MNBuddy »

MrNatural wrote:
Purchase was 7-29, RAP cards arrived in mail this wk... I never asked dealer how to get them (kept forgetting) so I don't have any idea if the delay was due to dealer not turning something in or if it was Genuine.
From what I know, if you had that kind of delay it was your Dealer's fault. We got our cards about 1 month after purchase date. I can't say enogh good things about Bob and Ed at Scooterville here in the Mpls/St. Paul area. Great guys, great dealership!
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Well, it's been right about a month now so I suppose I'll see "the packet" soon. I watched my dealership fill out the forms so I'm guessing all is in order. Just curious about the actual timeline.
Andy

ScooterLibby

Post by ScooterLibby »

I think that my bad experience was a combination of things. My location, the operators, the rotation of the earth at that point in time.
But seriously, I called, they sent someone out about an hour later, the guy got there, looked at the scoot, said "No it won't fit." and left. The operator I originally spoke to called me back and said, " Well they told us it wouldn't fit, and that you have a pickup you can use so we're going to cancel your call and have a nice day." I laughed at this, because a) I don't have a pickup and b) are you kidding? So I told them this and they told me, well there's nothing we can do for you, put me on hold for a bit and we got "disconnected".
I eventually found someone through my dealer and I just gave them his number and had them use him, I guess he said he had worked with them before, to which I said, "well why the hell didn't they call you in the first place?"
Whatever.
We're not cute, we're dangerous!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScooterLibby wrote:I think that my bad experience was a combination of things. My location, the operators, the rotation of the earth at that point in time.
But seriously, I called, they sent someone out about an hour later, the guy got there, looked at the scoot, said "No it won't fit." and left. The operator I originally spoke to called me back and said, " Well they told us it wouldn't fit, and that you have a pickup you can use so we're going to cancel your call and have a nice day." I laughed at this, because a) I don't have a pickup and b) are you kidding? So I told them this and they told me, well there's nothing we can do for you, put me on hold for a bit and we got "disconnected".
I eventually found someone through my dealer and I just gave them his number and had them use him, I guess he said he had worked with them before, to which I said, "well why the hell didn't they call you in the first place?"
Whatever.
SOME of these Roadside programs (i.e., Vespa's) will allow you to file for a towing reimbursement if you have to arrange it yourself and pay out of pocket. Might be worth it to check and see if Genuine's will do the same.
MNBuddy

Post by MNBuddy »

So from the response I have so far only 3 people out of the roughly 200 who have viewed this topic have had any7 need to use the Roadside assistance Program. That sounds kind of low to me from some of what I have seen posted on this forum. Maybe everyone else lives very close to their dealership :wink: and can just walk their Buddy into the shop.

I know with my limited mechanical skills I would not risk voiding the warranty by trying to do the work myself.
GatsbyGirl

Post by GatsbyGirl »

MNBuddy wrote:So from the response I have so far only 3 people out of the roughly 200 who have viewed this topic have had any7 need to use the Roadside assistance Program. That sounds kind of low to me from some of what I have seen posted on this forum. Maybe everyone else lives very close to their dealership :wink: and can just walk their Buddy into the shop.
We do live about three or four miles from our dealer -- NoHo Scooters. After the accident, Mike was great and just came over and picked it up from our house.

However, living in LA, I'm sure it's bound to happen one day that we will be far afield and need roadside assistance. It's programmed into my cell waiting to be used.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Well, I see it's been almost a month since this thread was last updated... so I figured I'd get a flat tire. You know, so I'd have something to contribute.

No doubt the reason I had handling issues this morning was because my back tire was flat, or headed that way. I've probably trashed it.

Anywho, got a flat. Called Roadside Assistance and they are going to call me back when they've contacted somebody to come and get me. I'm back in my office not freezing while I wait.

They're sending a truck, it'll bring me home. Then I just need to get the tire fixed.

More to come when I know more.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

lobsterman wrote:Well, I see it's been almost a month since this thread was last updated... so I figured I'd get a flat tire. You know, so I'd have something to contribute.
Bummer! However, that definitely explains your ride in this morning.

Good luck with the service and repair...
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Well, I still haven't gotten my roadside assistance stuff. Hmm.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

ECS,

Your dealer should have signed you up for the roadside assistance. Do you know if they did?

So, the towing company called about 10 minutes after I called RA, and an hour later a truck brought me and the Buddy home. No fuss, no charge.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
rajron

Post by rajron »

Not much I can say but I’ll share:
I got my Roadside Assistance cards and letter about a month after I purchased the scoot – never used it.
Dealer is about 15 miles away and only used them for the first service, otherwise I have done the routine maintenance myself.
Elm Creek Smith

Well, we did all the paperwork, including the roadside assistance stuff. Still, no stuff.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
Elm Creek Smith

Well, it showed up today, almost two months after I bought the Buddy.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
rajron

Post by rajron »

And I thought we were slow in NM.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Elm Creek Smith wrote:Well, it showed up today, almost two months after I bought the Buddy.

ECS
Interesting. Mine showed up today as well. Start date of 9-26-06 so it took a little over 2 months for me. No need to use it yet.
Andy

Elm Creek Smith

I haven't needed it either; 711 miles on the scoot. It's the principle of the thing. Now that I have my roadside assistance stuff, my run from Oklahoma to Myrtle Beach and down to Key West in the spring is on. <Snicker.> Just kidding.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
EBee

Post by EBee »

Yeah, just got mine today and it took about a month to the day. Unfortunately I could have used them a couple of weeks after I got the scoot...my battery went deader-n-doornail. Fortunately for me my hubster was at home by the phone and I got him to come over and manhandle it for me to get it to go and drove it straight to the dealer without stopping. Gotta get better at kickstarting... :oops:
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

Could someone post the number for Roadside ? Even though I have not received my card in the mail, I assume that I still will/should be covered. Things tend to happen before you get what you need.
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
-Spike Spiegel

If ur not scared u aint drivin' fast enough .
captaintg

Post by captaintg »

From another post:

1-866-311-8982
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

Thanks cap'n :wink:
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
-Spike Spiegel

If ur not scared u aint drivin' fast enough .