spelling scoots

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Christy

spelling scoots

Post by Christy »

i know there are a lot of new riders and a lot of us have bought the new international series buddy's.

this is a total pet peeve and is not meant to call anyone in particular out as i've seen it many times from many different riders, but from one Pamplona owner to another:
it is spelled PAMPLONA. As in Pamplona, Spain.

now I return you to your regularly scheduled riding! Have fun out there and be safe, because we all know that is much more important than spelling. :)
EPSP #76
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

I agree 100%, that is annoying pampilona
ferfdom

Post by ferfdom »

While we are on the topic of spelling, there is no such thing as "prolly". The word is spelled "probably". That drives me crazy!
Limitlessnow

Post by Limitlessnow »

Ferfdom may be right, but i'm prolly not gonna change my wicked ways.
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

Limitlessnow wrote:Ferfdom may be right, but i'm prolly not gonna change my wicked ways.
yeah same here
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Want to mention St. Tropez (pronounced "san tro-pay").
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

If we're getting into grammar, the plural of scooter is "Scooters" not "Scooter's."

just being snarky, sorry. I'm sure someone will find something wrong with one of my posts, somewhere, ha.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Christy

Post by Christy »

illnoise wrote:If we're getting into grammar, the plural of scooter is "Scooters" not "Scooter's."

just being snarky, sorry. I'm sure someone will find something wrong with one of my posts, somewhere, ha.

Bb.
heh, I just had to scroll up to see if I was an offender. :) I know I'm guilty of misusing the apostrophe on occasion.
Last edited by Christy on Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EPSP #76
charltons

Post by charltons »

Don't get me started! (I'm an English teacher)!
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
Christy

Post by Christy »

I guess the only reason this one bugs me more than others is because so many people are making the same spelling error and the scoot is named after a well known city...my belief is that proper nouns should be spelled correctly.

i have no problems with chat/text-spell with other words.
EPSP #76
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Today on Modern Buddy: Teachers on summer break smack down scooter riders for bad grammar!! 8)

I'm actually sorry to say that I'm a closet grammar nerd too. I'm sure, like illnoise said, that I have my share of grammar offenses but I always seem to notice them in others.

Christy, I've only seen one person spell Pamplona wrong here and he's a kid, sheesh get off his back!! I must not be reading the right threads!

Related link:
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/05/12/99-grammar/
stuff white people like wrote: When asking someone about their biggest annoyances in life, you might expect responses like “hunger,” “being poor,” or “getting shot.” If you ask a white person, the most common response will likely be “people who use ‘their’ when they mean ‘there.’ Maybe comma splices, I’m not sure but it’s definitely one of the two.”

If you wish to gain the respect of a white person, it’s probably a good idea that you find an obscure and debated grammar rule such as the “Oxford Comma” and take a firm stance on what you believe is correct. This is seen as more productive and forward thinking than simply stating your anger at the improper use of “it’s.

Another important thing to know is that when white people read magazines and books they are always looking for grammar and spelling mistakes. In fact, one of the greatest joys a white person can experience is to catch a grammar mistake in a major publication. Finding one allows a white person to believe that they are better than the writer and the publication since they would have caught the mistake. The more respected the publication, the greater the thrill. If a white person were to catch a mistake in The New Yorker, it would be a sufficient reason for a large party.
Also related for grammar nerds:
Grammar Girl Podcast
A cool resource for looking up all those old rules we (well, most of us) have forgotten over the years.

Let's shape up, MB.

EDIT: Ahhh... just figured it out. I put all these different spellings of Pamplona into the search and hit gold with "Pamploma." I don't know how to post search results but try it yourself!! Pimplona yielded two results but they were intentional. 8)
Last edited by jmazza on Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

*resists urge*

One of my friends is a graduated English major: I'm (to this day) trying not to correct her on spelling and punctuation. I'm of the opinion that since I only know one language I should master it as best as possible.

That doesn't, however, mean I'm going to lay into all of ya'll. ;)
You can thank me now. :lol:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jmazza wrote:EDIT: Ahhh... just figured it out. I put all these different spellings of Pamplona into the search and hit gold with "Pamploma." I don't know how to post search results but try it yourself!! Pimplona yielded two results but they were intentional.
You'll find "Pomplona" too if you look.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

"Bergman" really torques my nuts! (or is that torque's? :twisted: )
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Last edited by ryder1 on Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

illnoise wrote:If we're getting into grammar, the plural of scooter is "Scooters" not "Scooter's."

Bb.
But what is the plural of Buddy? Buddys or Buddies?? Seriously. I'm asking.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Good question.
*pulls grammar book from the shelf*

It would be "Buddys", including the capitalization. This is in keeping with things like "the Henrys" and "the Joneses".
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ferfdom: Just to be snarky. Dictionary.com has a listing for prolly. As an acronym for probably. ;)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Cheshire wrote:Good question.

It would be "Buddys", including the capitalization. This is in keeping with things like "the Henrys" and "the Joneses".
That's what I'm thinking too b/c it's a proper name even though the plural of "buddy" is "buddies."

But of course, "Buddys" gets the squiggly underlines so it made me my question myself.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Running of the bulls?? I thought it was named for that that tomato throwing festival, hence the color. Or is that colour?
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

This whole thread just delights the heart of this English teacher -- and cracks me up a bit, too! :lol:
sikken

Post by sikken »

Kaos wrote:ferfdom: Just to be snarky. Dictionary.com has a listing for prolly. As an acronym for probably. ;)
thanks kaos! i love the word prolly...
SarahScoot

Post by SarahScoot »

Thanks, Christy! I have been peeved by the proliferation of "Pamplomas" and "Pomplonas" lately, also, but didn't know how to say anything without coming off as snarky. Your post is perfect :) On a similar note, I called the dealership where my Mom bought her Buddy to ask if they have any Pamplona top cases in stock; after a confused silence, the guy responded with, "Ohhhh... yeah, the Pam-pa-loma! Yep, we got them." Nice guy, but... wow.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ryder1 wrote:The most famous running of the bulls is that of the nine-day festival of San Fermín in Pamplona, although they are held in towns and villages across Spain during the fiesta season, usually in the run-up to the corrida, or bullfight...
We should start a new tradition, the running of the Pamplonas. :wink:
Christy

Post by Christy »

SarahScoot wrote:Thanks, Christy! I have been peeved by the proliferation of "Pamplomas" and "Pomplonas" lately, also, but didn't know how to say anything without coming off as snarky. Your post is perfect :) On a similar note, I called the dealership where my Mom bought her Buddy to ask if they have any Pamplona top cases in stock; after a confused silence, the guy responded with, "Ohhhh... yeah, the Pam-pa-loma! Yep, we got them." Nice guy, but... wow.

LOL!!! pampaloma! thats awesome. did he say it with a strong southern accent too? (thats how I imagine it when I read the extra syllable)

:)
EPSP #76
SarahScoot

Post by SarahScoot »

The dealership is in Kent, and they actually primarily sell jet skis, snowmobiles, and ATVs, if that tells you anything. You wouldn't "get" the importance of it being in Kent unless you are really familiar with Seattle, but its claim to fame in the '90s was the extreme popularity of mullets and muscle cars :D
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jrsjr wrote: We should start a new tradition, the running of the Pamplonas. :wink:
If you are old enough and live in Seattle you will probably remember the running of the Rainiers. One of my personal favorites.
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

They're, their and there along with you're and your are the one's that I hate to see misused.

How would you write the sentence...there are three to's (?) in the english language? Would you use two, to or too?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm also a grammar, punctuation and word nerd, having had it drilled into me through many years of working in journalism and copyediting.

I still recoil at ending sentences in prepositions, though I know there are no strict rules against the usage. To quote Churchill: “This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put.”
jmazza wrote:
Cheshire wrote:Good question.

That's what I'm thinking too b/c it's a proper name even though the plural of "buddy" is "buddies."

But of course, "Buddys" gets the squiggly underlines so it made me my question myself.
I use and prefer "Buddys" to differentiate it, on some level from your "buddies." It also treats "Buddy" as a proper noun, which I think is appropriate. If not, it's a neologism. As the largest Buddy community, I figure we get to invent whatever terminology and usage we like (as long as it catches on).

If I add it to the MB Glossary/Lexicon, it becomes official. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

My goodness.
As long as we are spending the energy to spell correctly may I put in a request for the use of proper capitalization and punctuation?
I think that should merit at least as much time and energy as spelling, and we might as well start with this thread since there are numerous misuses of commas, colons, and semi-colons. Not to mention the rampant lack of capitalizing the beginning of sentences and pronouns such as "I". Hmmm. . .

I think a good question to ask is how many people who didn't consider buying and don't own a Pamplona know or care that it was named after a village in Spain and then spell the name based on this association. Sorry, but this is sounding a bit petty to me. Is misspelling that offensive, irritating, or intolerable in the big scheme of things? Or (And yes, I often "wrongly" start sentences with conjunctions or dangle participles at the end. And sometimes I even use sentence fragments, don't check over spelling, or cross-check for grammatical inaccuracies.) as a wise person once asked people in relationships that are in distress, "Is it more important for you to be 'right' or more important for the other person to feel loved (substitute you choice of word that might apply here to forum members. . .for example, 'respected' or 'valued')?"

Sorry again if this sounds snitty, but I think it is thoughtless, unkind, and sad to imply that spelling or punctuation equates to intelligence or worth. I mean, really. Come on. Is it too much to ask for people to tend their own houses before they go wagging their fingers at others'? How about just being nice to each other, as that infamous saying goes, "If you can't say something nice. . ."
~Celebrate~
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

runtotorun121 wrote:Sorry again if this sounds snitty, but I think it is thoughtless, unkind, and sad to imply that spelling or punctuation equates to intelligence or worth. I mean, really. Come on. Is it too much to ask for people to tend their own houses before they go wagging their fingers at others'? How about just being nice to each other, as that infamous saying goes, "If you can't say something nice. . ."
I agree with this and didn't mean to imply otherwise. General rule around here is "we don't judge" and I know we're all guilty of various transgressions in these areas. Anyone who spends their time posting to MB with a Strunk & White and an AP Style Guide at the ready needs to find a better use of their time.

That said, we all have our little pet peeves and can air them if done so in an appropriate manner. I think we should all know, at the very least, the correct spelling and origin or the model names and that correcting someone is fine as long as it's respectful and polite. PM them to avoid any public embarrassment if you really need to set them straight.

I have given up on the apostrophes and all the rest. Not worth fretting over.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

ya know, i'm prolly gonna fergit mosta this stuff y'all been talkin 'bout. meybe we cood git eric to put it all in a sticky for refrence...
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

MarsR wrote:ya know, i'm prolly gonna fergit mosta this stuff y'all been talkin 'bout. meybe we cood git eric to put it all in a sticky for refrence...
:rofl:

Thanks, Eric.

I think it was just that while many of the posts were obviously light-hearted and fun there were others that, because of the choice of words, felt like they were a little more emotionally laden and serious. And I couldn't help but wonder if someone's child has autism, a parent or spouse is dealing with cancer, a house has been destroyed by fire, or someone has just had a real crappy day whether educating/correcting someone on the spelling of a scooter name or using an apostrophe is something that is that big a deal.

Hmmm. . .harkening back to the heckling thread, maybe as a way to assure it sticks in someone's memory we could write the Buddyisms and Buddy info with correct spellings on our boobies. . . :wink:
~Celebrate~
maribell

Post by maribell »

Or you could let your browser correct your spelling errors. Firefox 3
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

maribell wrote:Or you could let your browser correct your spelling errors. Firefox 3
Problem is that 'your' and 'you're' or 'there' and 'their' or 'except' and 'accept' or 'affect' and 'effect' would all pass through as being spelled correctly although they certainly may be mis-spellings based on the context of the sentence. So then we would still be dummies. Or is that dummys? :)
~Celebrate~
sargelee71

Post by sargelee71 »

runtotorun121 wrote:
maribell wrote:Or you could let your browser correct your spelling errors. Firefox 3
Problem is that 'your' and 'you're' or 'there' and 'their' or 'except' and 'accept' or 'affect' and 'effect' would all pass through as being spelled correctly although they certainly may be mis-spellings based on the context of the sentence. So then we would still be dummies. Or is that dummys? :)
I'm now a former English teacher, but, when I taught, I would take 5 points off on papers for EACH mis-used word. The ones listed above were all on this list. And then there's "Should of, could of, and would of" instead of "Should HAVE, could HAVE, and..." you get the point.
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

MarsR wrote:ya know, i'm prolly gonna fergit mosta this stuff y'all been talkin 'bout. meybe we cood git eric to put it all in a sticky for refrence...
.... dont feal bad ..... eye is two ....
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

sargelee71 wrote: I'm now a former English teacher, but, when I taught, I would take 5 points off on papers for EACH mis-used word. The ones listed above were all on this list. And then there's "Should of, could of, and would of" instead of "Should HAVE, could HAVE, and..." you get the point.
Well back then they prolly thought you were a *expletive*, but I bet there are a few who have now reformed their grubby-grammer ways! :D
~Celebrate~
mandyscoots

Post by mandyscoots »

ScooterTrash wrote:I agree 100%, that is annoying pampilona
LOL sounds very similar to a VD.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

runtotorun121 wrote: Sorry again if this sounds snitty, but I think it is thoughtless, unkind, and sad to imply that spelling or punctuation equates to intelligence or worth. I mean, really. Come on. Is it too much to ask for people to tend their own houses before they go wagging their fingers at others'? How about just being nice to each other, as that infamous saying goes, "If you can't say something nice. . ."
Absolutely agree, but I don't see any posts in this thread that head that way. We're all just having fun. I'll refer you again to this link:
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/05/12/99-grammar/

It will help understand this phenomenon.

You make a great point, which is why I remind myself that I'm at best a big dork and at worst a big jerk for always noticing errors in others (not only grammar) while conveniently ignoring those in myself. 8)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

+1 on "Buddys" instead of "Buddies."

It's "Buddys" in the 2strokebuzz stylebook, if that matters, ha.

Another pet peeve: it's "Scootering" not "Scooting."

"Scooting" is pushing yourself around on your butt on the ground to gather around the teacher for story time.

: )
ferfdom

Post by ferfdom »

illnoise wrote:pet peeve: it's "Scootering" not "Scooting."

"Scooting" is pushing yourself around on your butt on the ground to gather around the teacher for story time.

:lol:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

illnoise wrote:+1 on "Buddys" instead of "Buddies."

It's "Buddys" in the 2strokebuzz stylebook, if that matters, ha.

Another pet peeve: it's "Scootering" not "Scooting."

And we are "scooterists," yes? No? :P
bunny

While we're on the subject of grammar and spelling...

Post by bunny »

'discreet' vs. 'discrete'

I was taught that those two words have very different meanings, yet I see the second spelling used for the first ALL the time now. Since when did 'finite' also come to mean 'secretive?' I've heard of dumbing down for your students, but dumbing down from the teacher? WTH? The use of 'discrete' is one of my biggest pet peeves. Sad. I just realized how awful that sounds that the simple use of a word (albeit a really good indicator of language knowledge) just irritates me to no end.

Also for your consideration:

'dilemna' vs. 'dilemma'

I've always used the first, but have recently discovered the second is considered the correct spelling.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

weaseltamer wrote:
Limitlessnow wrote:Ferfdom may be right, but i'm prolly not gonna change my wicked ways.
yeah same here
im gonna do it irregardless. (hope u english teacherz have a grrrr8 day)
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
hackett

Post by hackett »

pcbikedude wrote: im gonna do it irregardless. (hope u english teacherz have a grrrr8 day)
Just, no. Stop that, now. Hand over your keyboard.

There are some things one should not joke about. We must draw a line somewhere.
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

jmazza wrote:And we are "scooterists," yes? No? :P
I hope so, or we're all on the wrong forum.

Bb

P.S., JMazza, you can blame Kazoo if you like, but one "rides" a scooter, one does not "drive" it, heh. (in yr footer)

Bb.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

runtotorun121 wrote:My goodness.
As long as we are spending the energy to spell correctly may I put in a request for the use of proper capitalization and punctuation?
."
WHY RED IS RED!

Now THERE is the proper use of capitalization and punctuation for ya!

I crack me up!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Math nerd here....could care less if you're comma's and apostrophes are in the write place! as long as 1 + 1 = 2....or in some cases 3 :wink: .....were all OK.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Cheshire wrote:*resists urge*

One of my friends is a graduated English major: I'm (to this day) trying not to correct her on spelling and punctuation. I'm of the opinion that since I only know one language I should master it as best as possible.

That doesn't, however, mean I'm going to lay into all of ya'll. ;)
You can thank me now. :lol:
:roll: The abbreviation y'all is a combination of the words you and all. :sigh: The apostrophe is placed between the y and the a, not where YOU have it! :no:

:P :nerd: :rofl:

PS to jmazza -- Q: Are we not scooterists? A: WE ARE DE-VO!
ModBud #442