Test Rode a Buddy Today

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ellen

Test Rode a Buddy Today

Post by ellen »

I really had my eye on the Buddy 125. However I rode one today and came to one conclusion... Its too small for me. :(

I'm 5'11" and all legs. I had to slide all the way back in the saddle.
Had a hard time turning the handlebars without hitting my knees. To do a 360 I had to stick my knees all the way out. Couldn't move my feet at all. Though I couldn't with my old People 150 either.

Nice throathy sound. Okay pickup, pretty peppy. Didn't get a chance to open it up full throttle. I would put it on a par with the Vino 125.
I've ridden a Fly which has the same LEADER engine as the LX. I have to say the power of the Buddy is not even close to either the People 150 or the Fly 150.
paige

Post by paige »

What did you think of the fit/finish? Nice plastics or icky plasticky plastics? How were the colors in person? Is the orange a dreamsicle metallic orange or a solid orange fruit orange?

egiap
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Test Rode a Buddy Today

Post by jrsjr »

ellen wrote:I'm 5'11" and all legs. I had to slide all the way back in the saddle... Had a hard time turning the handlebars without hitting my knees. To do a 360 I had to stick my knees all the way out.
I remember talking with you before about how your knees hit the bars of another scooter even though mine didn't when I am 4 full inches taller than you and also have long legs. The cool thing about the Buddy's ergonomics are that it seems to be comfy for a wide range of folks. I'm disappointed to hear that it doesn't work for you, because I would have bet money that it would.
Last edited by jrsjr on Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ellen

Post by ellen »

paige wrote:What did you think of the fit/finish? Nice plastics or icky plasticky plastics? How were the colors in person? Is the orange a dreamsicle metallic orange or a solid orange fruit orange?
Oy.. hard to explain the type of Orange. It was pretty close to the border on the this site. :lol: Pink was inky. Reminded me of Pepto Bismol. The 2 tone black and silver was really nice. :D

Fit and finsh was okay. The one I rode today had a joint out of place on the floor board. But was rest wasn't that bad. Better than most the Chinese scooters I have seen. But not near the fit and finish of the Kymcos and the Japanese / European brands.

It had some strange one inch round cutouts on the front leg shield. I asked what they were for and the dealer said when you pop those out it exposes the screws for the basket accessory. Perfect spot to stick some reflectors on.

Also want to mention that I don't want people thinking I didn't like this scooter. I did. But it just wouldn't work for me. Perhaps if I were shorter :roll:
jess

Post by jess »

Thanks for the details, Ellen.
ellen

Re: Test Rode a Buddy Today

Post by ellen »

jrsjr wrote:I'm disappointed to hear that it doesn't work for you, because I would have bet money that it would.
John, I was disappointed too. Saw it a couple of weeks ago.. and really liked it. I was ready to put down a deposit today. Until I was actually able to ride it.

Just goes to show.. Test rides are a good thing! :!:
But if I were a bit shorter (Or less legged) I would have been one of the first Buddy owners on this forum. 8)
pdxvespa

Post by pdxvespa »

ellen wrote:
paige wrote:What did you think of the fit/finish? Nice plastics or icky plasticky plastics? How were the colors in person? Is the orange a dreamsicle metallic orange or a solid orange fruit orange?
Oy.. hard to explain the type of Orange. It was pretty close to the border on the this site. :lol: Pink was inky. Reminded me of Pepto Bismol. The 2 tone black and silver was really nice. :D
I'd have to agree w Ellen's description of the orange-- The border of this site's very close. More solid than metallic. Darker than a creamsicle, but more muted than a bright naval orange.
The pink's also more solid than metallic-- kind of creamy.
I thought the black/silver was the classiest, with the other two more playful.
(one on either end of the bridge, eh? 8) Brilliant!)