Blur Security

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BlueMark

Blur Security

Post by BlueMark »

I was in for a shock when I went to insure my new Blur. Allstate - my car insurer quoted well over $500 a year for insurance. My broker was astonished too, he had just insured another client's motorcycle for just $108/yr. Apparently comprehensive is outasight on scooters in my area because they are so popular with thieves. I did find insurance from GEICO at less than half Allstate's price.

So what do YOU do to protect your scoot?

I don't have a garage, just a small carport (now a scooterport) that faces a major road. I quickly added some lattice screens to break up the open view (may build kneewalls later).

The scoot has a dealer installed Gorilla alarm. And I lock it with both a disk lock and a heavy Kryptonite chain lock.

My problem ... the Kryptonite chain is massive ... I spent a lot of time lying on the ground beside my scoot trying to figure out the best way to run the chain. It wouldn't fit through the limited space around frame members underneath. And I didn't have much length to reach my anchor point.

Finally I found an answer - the unused rear shockmount on the transmission housing is perfectly sized for the Kryptonite lock (not chain). I can easily lock the chain to this point. Is there any reason I should NOT use it for securing the scoot?

Detail from a G-Max photo. Shows a rubber stopper in the shockmount that is absent on my bike.
Attachments
Blurtransmission.jpg
Blurtransmission.jpg (59.69 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

That scoot also has a drum brake.
- Bryce
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

The chain may be massive, but visually it is a great deterrent.

I use a bright yellow disc brake lock on the front wheel when I leave it outside, but I'm glad I have a garage to put it away over night.

Saw a few handle grip locks (see: http://www.lockitt.com/LeverLocks.htm ) that might also be one more visual reason to send any thug looking for an easier target than your scooter.

Use 'em all!
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!