going to take my permit test!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bjj4287

going to take my permit test!

Post by bjj4287 »

wish me luck!
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

good luck!!!

yooouuu can doo eeeeet!!!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Tell us how you did when you come back! The permit test is easy, but can you pass the skills test :twisted:
anndelise

Post by anndelise »

the permit test was pretty easy, i passed it with only having read through the book once.

But with the influx of new testers, the skills test required an appointment.
When I finished my permit test, though, someone had canceled their spot, and the lady said I could take that spot if I wanted to. I laughed and said no way, i'm not ready for that yet. She looked shocked. I think she thought I had ridden my scooter to the dmv even without a permit. I think she also figured that I'd been riding it without a permit.
(admittedly, I'd ridden the 50cc one without a permit for almost a week)

I just thought it was a bit funny that I tell her I'm new, I'm getting my permit so i can learn how to ride and not worry about getting ticketed, and somehow she thinks i've got all the skills without any experience??
:lol:

But really, it was nice that she offered that spot to me, first, when there were other people there as well.
The scootering section of my blog: http://anndelise.wordpress.com/category/scootering/
bjj4287

Post by bjj4287 »

yay i got it!.. i also got a milk crate and some bungee cords so now i can go fishing whenever i want!.. i missed 2 out of 25 :-)
Last edited by bjj4287 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

WOOT! WOOT!! :D
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Thats crap! They made me do 50 questions on the ohio test.
bjj4287

Post by bjj4287 »

hah ya and it was all road signs and motorcycle questions.. not all that DUi stuff
ranette

Post by ranette »

I was pretty embarrassed, I flunked my first try. Last permit test I took was almost 30 years ago and I passed without a problem. Could I have been smarter at 16? I have to say there were some pretty obscure questions on the Vermont test. After my first go round I took the weekend and read that manual over and over, I knew every concept they were trying to get across and a good portion of it word for word, still they threw in some questions that threw me for a loop. Big relief when "You have passed" flashed on the screen on my second try.

I've scheduled a skills exam for August 22nd even though I don't get my scooter until Saturday, and I've never ridden anything with two wheels and a motor except for a 50cc scooter when in Key West and Bermuda. Does a little over a month of practice seem reasonable?
anndelise

Post by anndelise »

depends on what it is you are practicing.

if your state's motorcycle guide book has a description of its skills test in it (usually at the back of the book), then you can set up cones or such and practice those skills. Some of the tests actually test like 2-3 skills. (for example, cone weaving and then a u-turn). You can practice those separately if you have fewer cones or smaller space than the actual test measurements.

another good skills setup is on the msf site in their library section. look for the pdf file that says something like "you and your scooter - tips". That pdf has some exercises in it that you can do in a parking lot and/or with cones.

Regular and extensive practice of these should get you to a point of passing the skills test. (Unless they include a riding on the street portion of the skills test, at which point I dunno cuz I haven't had to look at that.)

Along with these is a suggestion to read the msf beginning rider's course booklet (nonprintable pdf), and finding and studying some riding skills books like
"MSF's Motorcycling Excellence",
"Ride Hard, Ride Smart" by Pat Hahn,
"Proficient Motorcyling" or "Street Strategies" by David Hough
"Total Control" by Lee Parks
Etc
The scootering section of my blog: http://anndelise.wordpress.com/category/scootering/
ranette

Post by ranette »

Thanks for the info. There doesn't seem to be any part of the test taken on the road. From the diagrams in the manual the test doesn't look that difficult but I've been wrong before.
Limitlessnow

Post by Limitlessnow »

I missed one question on my Permit test Even though i knew I was right, it was one of those stupid DUI questions not word for word but basically the question was
"What is the average BAC limit in most states"
now i had read the manual twice while sitting in the DMV for four hours and the Manual says .10% for most states though some states are .08%
so my options were
A. .10%
B. .08%
C. .16%
D. .05%
So I picked A and when the end rolled around it let me see my mistakes and the machine graded me as wrong saying it was B, I was a little perturbed by this but since I passed anyway I let it slide, I was ready to leave anyway.
oh BTW i also scheduled my skills test that day and the earliest i could get was August 19th (This was June 18th)
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

ranette wrote:Thanks for the info. There doesn't seem to be any part of the test taken on the road. From the diagrams in the manual the test doesn't look that difficult but I've been wrong before.
Go there, buy some cheap tiny flat soccer cones from walmart/kmart, and go to the BMV to practice with your own cones. Alot of people there were over confident and made simple mistakes never trying the course before.