Buddy Workshop

Info on scooter gatherings of all types & sizes

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MikieTaps

Buddy Workshop

Post by MikieTaps »

Hey fellow seattlites.

I have either this friday or saturday free to get a group together for alittle ride, maybe some dinner, and to work on our buddies. Post up here if you are free either night, when we decide on one, I will send out the email to everyone who has sent me their email and we will get together!!! come on guys! woot woot!

:D

Post by Guest »

friday would work for me, mikie. :)
BigColdMartini

Re: Buddy Workshop

Post by BigColdMartini »

MikieTaps wrote:I have either this friday or saturday free to get a group together for alittle ride, maybe some dinner, and to work on our buddies. :D
You're just looking for someone to fix that clutch for you. :lol:
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

hardy har har...

Its allready fixed...

but if it hadnt been fixed, that was my plan :twisted:
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

Wish I lived in a more scooter friendly area so I could rally with others. Unless you can put mud tires, a gun rack, Jesus fish and a Confederate flag on it I don't think scooters will be seen much around here.

Of course, I could Donk it and fit in that way. You probably don't have a lot of Donk's driving around in Seattle so I'll increase yo knizzle my bizzle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donk_(automobile)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

BigColdMartini wrote:
Of course, I could Donk it and fit in that way. You probably don't have a lot of Donk's driving around in Seattle so I'll increase yo knizzle my bizzle.
Wow, man. I just saw one of these for the first time in Richmond (Dirty Souf Capital, no less). My wife and I were on our way to pick up some accessories for my Buddy (and gear for her so she can ride it) from Scoot Richmond. We laughed hard for about a block after we passed it. Maybe I never noticed them before, but I'm amazed. So much thought into something so pointless. It makes the mind boggle, ya know?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
esk

Post by esk »

Not sure if I can make it this time around (last day of work friday, starting new job monday, life crazy!) but keep me on the email! Might be able to swing it Saturday...
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

Lostmycage wrote:
Wow, man. I just saw one of these for the first time in Richmond (Dirty Souf Capital, no less).
Here in Memphis, home of Three 6 Mafia, you can usually hear (feel) them for a mile or two before you see them. Some are pretty cool looking but others are just funny. They're usually the ones that are owned by people that really can't afford good customizations and have just improvised. I actually saw one that had rain gutters from a house used as ground effect trim around the bottom of the frame. Plastic spinner hubs instead of real spinner wheels are funny too.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, so I'll guit now. You folks in Seattle... drink a Redhook ESB for me.
Sarah Scoot

Post by Sarah Scoot »

Friday would work for me, too. I've been busy at work lately (month and quarter end) plus school stuff, but it's finally dying down and I'd love to show my Buddy some attention; pamper her/him a little, you know? :D
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

UPDATE!!!

So I am unavailable Friday night. Saturday, however, is a different story. Im thinking we meet up at noon. Go for a little hour or so ride around Seattle, then head in somewhere to do our workshop. I live in an apartment… and we might be able to do it there, but the management says no repairs are to be made in the parking lot on motor vehicles… but we are doing upgrades right? Does anyone else that would like to join us have a better place we could do our workshop? Then I was thinking we could do another little ride when we all have properly adjusted headlamps, extra turn signals, and new brighter bulbs. What do you guys think? Post up here, and or send me a PM so we can get this thing together. An email will be going out shortly.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Mods that I am thinking would be good for our first run at this would be the deadlight to turn signal mod, upgrading any of the bulbs, and adjusting the headlamp.

Please check the tutorials for any of the above mods that you would like to do, and buy parts for them. I have wire cutters, and a basic tool kit, if you have any other tools you think we might need feel free to bring them along.

OR,
We can swing by home depot and auto zone or somewhere on our ride before the workshop and pick up the parts together. What do you guys think?
ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

So I have the world's worst schedule. I am unavailable Friday and Saturday from about noon-12pm every week (Mr. Mom). This basically removes me from any "cool" or "hip" or "normal" activities.

Oh, well. I was looking forward to the loooooooong ride down Aurora too.

(Sundays are the best day for me. All day&night Sunday I'm free, just so's you know.)

I have a bunch of tools, meter, soldering iron, oscilloscope, etc. I am an Electrical Engineer by training+school+work. I also have a house and a garage. If you wanted to take the loooooong ride UP Aurora (or Lake City Way) we could do mod stuff at my house.

~SITR
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I sent out the email... to people who i have email addresses for and no response back.. I think sarahscoot is in... anyone else?
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

MikieTaps wrote:I sent out the email... to people who i have email addresses for and no response back.. I think sarahscoot is in... anyone else?
hmm. i didn't get the email, but yeah, i'd be in. i'm up for buying the parts all together at shucks or whatever when we meet up at ? don't know if this would work, mikie, but how about us cruising over to scoot about and seeing if they'd let us use some of their far end parking lot space?

meet at your place at noon? what's your cross street? i have somewhere to be at 4pm. any chance we could do the mods before the ride?
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

ok guys, pm or email me if you are in, we will be meeting somewhere at noon sharp... if you want in, email me or pm me and i will send you the location

this way i will know how many people to wait for, i dont want to leave anyone out or behind!
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

just in case someone fell through the cracks or is just hearing about this now, we are going to shucks on rainier to pick up parts... leaving 1st hill in about 20-25 min about 1215 pm. we are gonna do the work at scoot about in their west parking lot if you would like to join us, then we will go for a ride and show off our blinkers, and new headlamps! woot woot

email me if you need info, i will get it on my phone

MTappert@gmail.com
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Well the first Seattle Buddy Workshop has come to an end. It was a lite turn out... just Scullyfu and Myself. We went for a ride to try and find the headlight and the ST turnsignals... the store only had the normal turn signal bulbs. Oh well, we got some wiring stuff, wire, connectors electrical tape etc.. and went about the Deadlight to Turn signal Mod. I had allready done it, so we opened up both our scooters "hoods" and used mine as a reminder guide as to what it should look like in the end. Success! The damn left stock turn signals wires are so short... I had forgotten about that from when I did mine... grrr anyway... here are some pics of the work area, and Scully's new turn WORKING turn signals!!

P.S. I promise I will set up more of these, and give more warning... i saw i would have a free saturday this weekend so i figured i would see if anyone wanted in.

Post by Guest »

big shout out to mikie for his patience and good humor, not to mention his willingness to spend a free afternoon helping out a fellow seatle scooterist. thanks, mikie!
esk

Post by esk »

sorry that i flaked out - i had a crazy weekend (new job, new computer) and have just been getting back online today! congrats scullyfu on the posh new turn signals. hope i can make it next time!
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

esk wrote:congrats scullyfu on the posh new turn signals. hope i can make it next time!
thanks, esk. but i so seriously couldn't have done it without mike's assistance. i would've been too stinking nervous to make that first snip. :)
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

its all good! we will get to your shortly! :wink: any free weekends... or even weeknights coming up? i think i can probably help you do this in about 15-20 min now!
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

mikie, i haven't forgotten about those bulbs, just haven't made it over to schuck's yet. probably get over there this weekend. i'll keep you posted. :)
Xena

Post by Xena »

Mikie - The lights look fantastic!

My husband is going to do mine over the next few days. My question is about the fact that all four of your lights are on at the same time? How? Why?
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Xena wrote:Mikie - The lights look fantastic!

My husband is going to do mine over the next few days. My question is about the fact that all four of your lights are on at the same time? How? Why?
It's 'cos he's showing them as hazards. I did my mod just like Mikie and when I put on the right turn signal, I only get two lights (both on the right!). It's really easy and shouldn't take too long to do. Just tell your hubs that he'll probably need extra wire to bridge the left signal wires. Good luck!
Xena

Post by Xena »

siobhan wrote:
Xena wrote:Mikie - The lights look fantastic!

It's 'cos he's showing them as hazards. I did my mod just like Mikie and when I put on the right turn signal, I only get two lights (both on the right!). It's really easy and shouldn't take too long to do. Just tell your hubs that he'll probably need extra wire to bridge the left signal wires. Good luck!
Awesome advice Siobhan!!

Ok now I am a complete dink head...there is a hazard button that makes all four go on? Stop laughing.

Now how about any info on the dead switch under the throttle? :wink:
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

mikie, check these out. cool price. i can order both of ours to make sure we meet the free shipping quota of $25. how many sets of two did you want? would these work on the back turn signals?

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-1156AST- ... B000AMBOMQ

what was the headlight code you were looking for? i remember it ended with an H4 something or another. :)
ScootingInTheRain

OK! I did my own workshop in my garage yesterday. The engineer in me make it take longer than it should have, and after I did one side, I realised an easier way to do the 2nd side.

I also put Silverstars in all 6 locations (4 front, 2 rear). Those suckers are bright, about twice as bright as stock to my eyes.

Here is the result:

My poor little Blackberry camera can't keep up.

Also note the parking situation. There is just enough room in the garage to park Tony perpendicular to the Nissan. Nissan leaves the garage twice a week, Tony leaves the garage 7-8 times a week. :)

Now to figure out something for the rear...

...of the scooter.

~SITR
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

"Now to figure out something for the rear...

...of the scooter. "

what are you considering, sitr? man, those are stinking bright. ouch. my eyes.
esk

Post by esk »

MikieTaps wrote:any free weekends... or even weeknights coming up? i think i can probably help you do this in about 15-20 min now!
Most of my weekends for the rest of the summer are rapidly booking up! But I think I'm free the weekend of August 9. Keep me posted...
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

looking good SITR!
ScootingInTheRain

scullyfu wrote:"Now to figure out something for the rear...

...of the scooter. "

what are you considering, sitr?
CURSES! I've said too much...

Albrecht -destroy all physical evidence!!
Roy - get us tickets to Moscow!!
Hammer - please don't hurt 'em.

~SITR