"Ah, You Don't Want a Scooter"

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scooterinvasion

Post by scooterinvasion »

When I told several people on my co-recreational softball team last night I was dying to get a scooter, I got that reply. It got me thinking..."Why wouldn't I want a small motorcycle instead?"

Can you all kindly share why you've chosen to ride a scooter over a motorcycle?
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

1. I don't like shifting gears.
2. I'll never take it on the interstate, just surface roads only.
3. They're too big.
4. They don't get that great of gas mileage.
5. I don't go fast.
6. Scooters are cooler!

Give me more time and I can think of a bunch of other reasons but that's enough from me. Someone else jump in.
chokepuppy

Post by chokepuppy »

I have both. Guess you just have decide based on your needs and what you like. Scooters are just a blast and great for a lazy ride. (NO SHIFTING on mine) When I've have nice clothes on I don't have to grab and upshift, scuff my shoes. Their sexy when my wife and I two up.
ON the other hand if i'm going to be on the freeway or doing highway speeds for miles I would rather jump on my motorcycles. If I had to have just one for my needs it would be my motorcycle because I sometimes do a hundred and ten mile round trip comute to work. But if I was just going under 15 it would be a Scoot. DAMN just get both.. I don't want to choose. :roll:
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

You want a small motorcycle.
<b>2006 Buddy 125
1974 Honda CB350F
1972 Honda CB350 Twin
1968 Honda S90
1965 Lambretta Li150

1975 Ford Bronco</b>
charltons

Post by charltons »

Do you have any experience on either? If not, I suggest taking the MSF course to see if you like MC's, and then rent both to see.

I bought my scooter before I took the MSF course, and now I really want a MC, but can't really afford both right now. Of course, I don't NEED a MC, my scooter does what I need it to do quite well.

People who disparage scooters in favor of MC's often don't understand that for local roads, a 125 or 150 scoot is more than adequate.
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
ScootScoot

Post by ScootScoot »

I'm one of the people who bought my scoot, took the MSF class and then bought a motorcycle.

I currently have both, but I honestly haven't used my scoot since I got my bike. Maybe I'll hop on it today and try to decide if I'm going to keep both or sell the scoot.

I would take the MSF first to help you decide what you want.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I'm discovering that most people who aren't familiar with scooters as we know them equate "scooter" with "moped". Quite a few of my friends looked at me funny when I first mentioned I wanted a scooter, then did a double-take when I said what I was after had a top speed of 60 mph. I've started explaining it as "Yeah, a scooter: auto transmission motorcycle."

As to why I'm after a scooter over motorcycle, the scooter is entirely hand controls, something I'm used to from bicycling.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I thought about it long and hard before buying a scooter first. I wanted comfortable transportation, easy to ride, dependable, good gas mileage and some kind of storage without spending extra money for it. A scooter made more sense than a motorcycle. With 85% of my riding in town speeds would seldom be over 45-50mph and then not for very long.

Later came the motorcycle. I used it to commute and let the scooter rest for quite a while. Once the thrill of the torque monster subsided and I went back to quiet pipes I realized that the scooter was more fun in town and an added benefit was not getting my legs wet every time a sprinkler system had sprayed the road a bit. Protection from the elements on a motorcycle is nonexistent unless you spend a lot of money.
I love my motorcycle but seldom get in top gear in town and then just for a short time. There is no place for storage so I spent money on saddlebags and other stuff. It is quick and fun, but only out of town. It is heavy. Although a middleweight, it weighs in at about 450lbs with a higher center of gravity than a scooter. They're just different. Which would you prefer to heft around town? If I had it to do over again I would buy a large scooter as the line between scooter and motorcycle continues to blur. A large scooter is much more economical and easier to ride than a large motorcycle and a small scooter is a lot more economical than a small motorcycle.
Handling a scooter is easier than handling a small motorcycle.
Weather protection is better.
Gas mileage is better.
They are just more fun.

How many of the people recommending that you buy a motorcycle actually own them? Or do they just wish they had one? Have they ever ridden a scooter? Why do they not recommend a scooter? Ask. I'll bet you'll get some of the stock manly answers. One that I heard just yesterday went like this: "Anything less than 1100cc is a death wish! You have to have at least that much engine to get out of the way!" :wha: When people say, "Ahh, you don't want a scooter!", what they're really saying is that THEY don't want a scooter. That has nothing to do with what YOU want.:mrgreen:

There are many things to consider and you have to decide which makes the most sense for you. Whatever you decide, good luck, wear your safety gear, take an MSF course, and most imortant, make it fun.
xtetra

Post by xtetra »

DennisD wrote:I thought about it long and hard before buying a scooter first. I wanted comfortable transportation, easy to ride, dependable, good gas mileage and some kind of storage without spending extra money for it. A scooter made more sense than a motorcycle. With 85% of my riding in town speeds would seldom be over 45-50mph and then not for very long.
+1 for that, although I do ride wide open for half of my ten mile commute. At least coming home. (Uphill)

I nearly bought a small bike instead of a scoot, but it seemed to me that I'd be getting better mileage and more comfort on a scoot for the money. There are a number of 250's on the market for comparable prices (new), but they don't quite get the mileage that the Buddy 125 gets.

I wanted to buy new b/c I didn't want to buy someone else's mechanical problems.

Final straw in favor of the buddy was that I felt with a windshield I'd stay a bit cleaner and drier on the bud than I would with a bike and its a bit easier to park. I think its also less physically demanding to ride than a bike. (At least, my bike.)

I still have my 1981 Yamaha XJ750 which I use for long trips and just fun. Although I take pretty good care of it I don't feel as secure using it for a daily runner. It is kinda old and needs a lot of attention. Also, at 40mpg its a gas hog compared to my scoot.

I had a lot of skeptics question me when I bought mine. Most never have been on a bike to begin with so I didn't really listen. That was a bit over a year ago. Now they see me everywhere on it and see me smiling and laughing about what I spend on gas and they have a different tune. Like you though, I started out with a lot of enthusiasm and I think really that is why its worked out so well.

Just be safe, take a safety course if you've never ridden, get good gear that you are comfortable with and enjoy.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

I was torn between a decent scooter, or a cheap bike when i started looking around. I decided in the end, i could afford the scooter without a loan, would get nearly double the gas mileage (not a selling point, just an added benefit) and would be tons easier to drive around town as a daily commuter / errand runner. I finish paying off my car loan this time next year, so if push comes to shove, I could easily swing a bike payment for a few years at that point if I end up wanting something with more power and I can feel comfortable taking out on the highway with if i wanted to. Ive had it a month now and don't regret my decision to not get the bike right from the start one bit. I LOVE my scooter, and enjoy pulling up to cars at redlights, getting a funny look, then glancing over at their faces when they watch me keep up with them from a stop all the way to 40-45mph.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Part of it is a practical question based on a lot of things everybody's already said:

Distance/speed of riding (edge to the MC over a 125/150cc scoot)
Fuel economy (edge to the scoot)
Price (edge to the scoot)
Storage (edge to the scoot)
no shifting (edge to whichever you like better but there are shifter scoots too)

Then there's a vibe factor that only you can decide on. Scooters and motorcycles are different. Scooters have, historically, been the little European things that have a certain romanticism to them. Urban riding appeal, weaving in and out of traffic to go to the café, etc. Not all of that is true of course, but it's the aesthetic that draws in many scooter riders. I started jonesing for a scooter after a trip to Italy.

So for that part of the equation, you kind of either want a scooter or you don't.

One more thing complicating it is that the line between scooter and motorcycle is pretty blurry in some cases (big maxiscooters for example). You can buy some pretty big scooters that, other than a step through design and twist-n-go, will do everything a small motorcycle will do. Personally I don't like maxiscooters. That's where I start asking "why not just get a motorcycle."

Good luck with whatever you choose!!
Keys

Post by Keys »

Okay, here goes. Over 35 years riding motorcycles and scooters have taught me that motorcycles will impress more people. They are fun; like skiing type of fun. They look good, but take forever to clean. They are more top-heavy than a scooter, making them a little less fun to throw around parking lots and side streets.

Scooters, on the other hand, are simply kick-in-the-pants fun. Kinda in a snow-boarding type of fun. You just jump on and go! Nothing more, nothing less. Carefree freedom. Quick handling...like just think it and it does it! Toss your stuff under the seat, start it and go! Cheap!

I've done everything on two wheels from roadracing in the 70's to building my own Harley choppers in the 80's and 90's. I've owned over 60 motorcycles and 20 motorscooters. I've worked as a motorcycle mechanic and ride thousands of miles a year (14,000 miles on my Buddy in just 13 months).

My choice? Scooters. The "grin" factor is WAY more important than impressing anybody. And DON'T let anybody tell you you can't ride the distance on a scooter. I have put up to 300 miles on my Buddy in a day and am reading a book now (You Can See By My Outfit) of two guys rode from New York City to San Francisco in the 60's on a couple of Heinkel scooters. Great story. Deep respect. Wonderful adventure.

On a scooter, each ride is an adventure. On a motorcycle each ride is...well, it's a ride.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
charltons

Post by charltons »

It seems to me the best of both worlds would be a maxi scoot or a real small MC like the Kawasaki eliminator or Daelim's MC's. They are both manual and 125cc. I bet non MC riders wouldn't know the difference.
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Keys wrote:And DON'T let anybody tell you you can't ride the distance on a scooter. I have put up to 300 miles on my Buddy in a day and am reading a book now (You Can See By My Outfit) of two guys rode from New York City to San Francisco in the 60's on a couple of Heinkel scooters. Great story. Deep respect. Wonderful adventure.
Good point Keys. I didn't mean you can't, but many people tend to want something bigger and more comfortable for a long ride. But yeah there are lots of stories of people going a LONG way on scooters of all sizes. Usually it seems to be some epic trip though as opposed to "I do my 100 mile commute on a Buddy each day."
scooterinvasion

Awesome responses, everyone! Thanks so much! I'm thinking there's definitely a scoot in my future.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I, too, have ridden motorcycles for more years than I would care to admit snd own both now. I love a Saturday afternoon ride through country roads on a motorcycle. When it comes to riding around town or the burbs, I always choose my scoot. It is nimble and manuerable, the CVT is no fuss, and cargo space is great for a run to the store. There are some things that a scoot does much better than a motorcycle.
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

a good 125 or 150 scooter can go if not faster that a 250 motorcycle and can be cheeper. plus no shifting that and a scooter is cooler than any motorbike ever could be.
rickko

Post by rickko »

Lots of people cited "Better mileage." This might surprise them.

Besides the Italia I have two Harleys. Had them both since 1995. The big-twin (1388cc) regularly gets 55-64mpg on long highway trips riding 2-up. The totally-built Sportster 1200cc gets in the mid-40's on the highway. I'm not saying better mileage isn't a valid reason because it is in today's environment. I am saying you'd be surprised how good of mileage small (and big) m/c's can get.

Another a little off topic mileage factoid: I also own two C5 Corvettes. One is a Z06. One has 350hp, the other over 400HP. Sane highway driving will net between 28-31 mpg! Yes, the Corvette, because it is so light and aerodynamic, is really a economical vehicle on gas. And what might be a surprise to some Buddy owners, it can run on 87-octane according to the owner's manual!

Why did I buy a Buddy? Well, I already have motorcycles. The Buddy is so much easier to jump on and go run errands. Like someone said, the bigger bikes need bags, aren't as easy to manuver through heavy traffic or manhandle in tight spaces. I also bought it for my girlfriend to putt around the neighborhood. (I can still follow her on my Sporty).

Lastly, I think right now America is experiencing a revolution in two-wheel scooter motivation. I want to be a part of it.

My answer to scooterinvasion would be, if 99% of your riding will be local, you'll love the ease of use and operation of a scooter. If you foresee doing long, long trips often, you'll probably want the comfort and durability of a motorcycle.

scooterinvasion, I'm certain which ever you choose it'll be right for you.

Good luck!
..rickko..[/b]
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
bunny

Post by bunny »

I don't have the MC personality. In fact, OH mentioned it the other night when we were riding around teaching me how to ride with others. I have the perfect personality for a scooter. Happy, friendly and child-like wondrous. That wouldn't work on a MC. Just a scooter.

:D

Yep, that's me! On my scooter. Doing wonderful scootering-ish things! Like riding around beeping at people with my louder than they expected horn! BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA

Not that I eat at MickeyD's but, "I'm LOVIN' it!"

And then there are the MC personalities. Yeah, so NOT me.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

purduealum91

Post by purduealum91 »

I bought a Buddy 150 St Tropez and will be selling it shortly. To replace it, I went with a Suzuki Burgman. the burgman is an automatic motorcycle and it gets better gas mileage than a normal motorcycle. So far, Ive gotten 65 mpg. It has a 400cc motor and I wouldnt hesitate to take it out on the freeways around here (chicagoland area).

Just my opinion, but sit on a burgie and see what you think. It cant hurt.

Tom
Scooterpup

Post by Scooterpup »

bunny wrote:I don't have the MC personality. In fact, OH mentioned it the other night when we were riding around teaching me how to ride with others. I have the perfect personality for a scooter. Happy, friendly and child-like wondrous. That wouldn't work on a MC. Just a scooter.

And then there are the MC personalities. Yeah, so NOT me.
I gotta agree. I'd ridden an MC and it's just not me. There is something about a scooter and it's not for everyone. I have a Stella and 125Buddy. Love riding both for different reasons. Plus, scooters tend to make me feel impish - nothing like mischief! :D
Bark, Bark, Bark!!
scooterinvasion

Plus, scooters tend to make me feel impish - nothing like mischief!
LOL. I think one of the reviews I read on a Rattler stated riding the Rattler made the author feel like a teenager who just TP'd his entire neighborhood.
n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

I haven't had as many bikes as Keys, but I've had quite a few. I'll probably have a couple more, before it's all said and done.

Each bike was different.

The sport bikes were great for getting into (and running from) trouble. I don't think I'd have another, unless my wife let me race (I ask about twice a year, but the answer is always "No, you can race cars"). They were great for adrenaline rushes and great for showing up folks in cars they paid 10x the money for (if that's your thing).

The cruisers were good for cruising. Surprise. They were OK for long rides, but better for seeing and being seen, once you got to the destination.

My V-Strom was the closest thing I've had to a perfect bike. Very sporty, but a more relaxed riding position. Very tall (great view), but still a low center of gravity. Pegs right underneath you, so standing up to do a little off-roading was a piece of cake. The V-Strom was great in rush-hour traffic, but rush hour in Texas means 100 degrees and no breeze for extended periods and I just got sick of it. I wasn't going to ride 100 mph on the highway without gear and I couldn't stand bumper-to-bumper traffic with it, so I gave up on 2-wheel commuting for now.

The scooter is the most practical and the most fun around town and that's where I do most of my riding. On the scooter, I feel like I am on vacation as soon as I twist the throttle.

I like the scooter the best overall, despite the near perfection of the V-Strom. There is something intangible. Something about how I feel when I ride it. I can't really describe it and I am not sure I would have gotten it, if I hadn't ridden the other bikes too.
Xena

Post by Xena »

I have JUST this past weekend completed the MSF course and happily passed!

I have absolutely NO desire to go out and get a motorcycle now. In fact, I could not wait to get home and tell my Little Pinky just how much I love her and respect her for what she is.

No shifting
No impressing anyone
No shifting

I wouldn't trade my scooter for anything now! I was pretty sure of this before the course but some told me to wait and I would get this bug for a motorcycle and more speed. And it totally didn't happen. In fact, I found driving a motorcycle a bit of a nuisance.
Christy

Post by Christy »

Cheshire wrote:I've started explaining it as "Yeah, a scooter: auto transmission motorcycle."
ditto that!

I have both and only ride the scooter. I do not like shifting. I do not like the weight of the ninja. I love everything about my buddy. I do not go on the interstate, though I do get on all the other roads and can do so comfortably without problems. I like the pass thru and all the storage. I think scooters are cooler than mc's. my husband disagrees, and you might too. it's a personal choice.
EPSP #76
n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

When I am out canyon carving, I love to shift and I love the weight of a good sport bike.

Around town at 35 mph, cruising to the grocery store or the coffee shop? Nah. I never minded it, but I don't miss it.

I love the scooter and I can't see myself without one. I've had motorcycles off and on and will have them again - off and on. The scooter is a permanent fixture.
IndieJones

Post by IndieJones »

Scooter == cute automatic motorcycle with great mpg and with lots of storage like a shopping bag hook and flat floorboards for your beer, so it's actually useful for real life instead of just cruising through canyons on the weekend.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

There are some bikes which are useful for going around town. Some motorcycles have those plastic saddle bags on the side. I forget the model, but there is a automatic motorcycle which looks sporty, but has fat top case and saddle bags standard. I can see it being used like a scooter, but in general, I think for errands and short trips, the scooter still wins.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I just didnt want to get grouped with the 40-something year old guys in my neighborhood who have a few kids & a mini van & then feel the need to get a new Harley.... and then only ride it 3 or 4 weekends a year.
I am pretty sure the reasons they bought their cycles had little to do with actually wanting to ride.
I bought my scooter to ride
!
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

My top 3:

1. Having a nickname like "Motorcycle Dave" sounds lame.
2. I look good.
3. While riding my scooters, chicks dig me & guys want to be me.

Dave
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

1. The Buddy costs less
2. Small bikes don't really go that much faster
3. The Buddy gets much better gas mileage
4. If knocked over/dropped, I can pick up my scooter without help from someone else
5. Underseat storage is quite handy
6. A grocery basket would look really silly on a motorcycle
7. Scooterists seem to be perceived better than motorcyclists
8. I can park at bike racks
9. The scooter is more maneuverable in city driving
10. I feel safer/more noticeable with more color (orange) on the front of the vehicle
11. I enjoy a reason to take the slow, scenic route.
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

ScooterDave wrote:My top 3:

1. Having a nickname like "Motorcycle Dave" sounds lame.

Dave
+1 :lol:
gymnation

Post by gymnation »

The road less traveled is one ridden on a scooter.
Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
scootermama

Post by scootermama »

The scooter is cuter.

As I crash headlong towards the ripe age of 60 (in 7 years, but, hey, it feels like it's out there), my Buddy is the antidote.

It keeps me feeling young.
It reminds me that there is plenty of life yet to be lived.
It impresses the hell out of my teenager (and that ain't easy to do)

Scooter: fresh, cute, cool, today. With apologies to all your biker chicks out there, for me, a motorcycle brings up images of someone who's been ridden hard and put away wet.

Uh, no thanks.
iinigma7

Post by iinigma7 »

A picture is worth a thousand words, so I hastily photoshopped this:

"...faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!"
SaltyDog

Automatic Motorcycle

Post by SaltyDog »

Yeah, there's the Ridley. Beaucoup bucks. Beautiful bikes though.

CF Moto makes a couple of models, the V3 and the V5 (?) 250cc, a little
over 3 G's, but it's a Chinese manufacture, and the jury is still out on
staying power/dealerships/parts/reliability. Since the company is one of the
better China manufacturers, it has a good chance of catching on.

Also, CPI (a Taiwanese company) makes the GTR 150 and GTR 50,
which are nice looking bikes. The 50 is classed as a moped; no MC license required here in Virginia.

They also make a clone of the Honda Helix, close enough to actually interchange some parts. Speaking of which, Honda once offered the
Hondamatic motorcycle, though I've never seen one.

I started out riding with an old farmer's Cushman Highlander, so I have always favored scoots vs. motorcycles.
Cushman Deluxe Highlander Model 715 (back in the day)
CPI Oliver City 50
Honda Elite 250
Piaggio MP3-250
Lusting in my heart for a GB Pamplona...
Working my up to a Suzuki Burgman and retirement!
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

I must admit that I'm very tempted by the Ninja 250. Nearly scooter-like MPG and it'll do up over 100 mph. Not sure if I'm crazy about foot shifting. But for the zip, I might put up with it.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

To bad Honda discontinued the Big Ruckus. That's such a great scooter. What were they thinking?!?!
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
Moosy

Post by Moosy »

ScootScoot wrote:I'm one of the people who bought my scoot, took the MSF class and then bought a motorcycle.

I currently have both, but I honestly haven't used my scoot since I got my bike. Maybe I'll hop on it today and try to decide if I'm going to keep both or sell the scoot.

I would take the MSF first to help you decide what you want.
I wish I had waited - I like the scooter, but I really wish I had something more to do when riding. I hate driving automatic cars and it's the same on a bike. I just want a freakin' clutch! I want to be in control!

For now however, I'll keep the buddy, but if I happen across a good deal on a Shadow or Boulevard, I will have a hard time passing it up. Plus, I hate not being able to go with my friends on rides in the mountains. I'm left out. :(
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

jfrost2 wrote:There are some bikes which are useful for going around town. Some motorcycles have those plastic saddle bags on the side. I forget the model, but there is a automatic motorcycle which looks sporty, but has fat top case and saddle bags standard. I can see it being used like a scooter, but in general, I think for errands and short trips, the scooter still wins.
Those plastic side boxes take up a lot of room. Makes the bike wide and you can hear the owner scream when he scrapes one on the side of something when he's trying to park it in the garage.

The auto moto might be the new Aprilia. Somewhere around 10 grand.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

7eregrine wrote:To bad Honda discontinued the Big Ruckus. That's such a great scooter. What were they thinking?!?!
I had a Big Ruckus and could never really feel comfortable on it. It felt "twitchy" in the steering and weight distribution seemed weird. Nowhere to store anything. Fantastic headlights! But it had a cool industrial look. I see it every day as I sold it to a coworker.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Style.

Motorcycles all look like motorcycles. In most peoples eyes, all sport bikes look alike. But my Italia, that's something different. :wink:

But, My city of Fort Wayne will never be labeled urbane or progressive, so
while riding my scooter, kids dig me & chicks want to be me.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

JettaKnight wrote:Style.

Motorcycles all look like motorcycles. In most peoples eyes, all sport bikes look alike. But my Italia, that's something different. :wink:

But, My city of Fort Wayne will never be labeled urbane or progressive, so
while riding my scooter, kids dig me & chicks want to be me.
Fort Wayne holds a warm spot in my heart. Way back in the day of AM radio I was stationed in the deep deep south and the only station that could be picked up at night that played good rock n roll was "WOWO IN FORT WAYNNNNE, INDIANA!" They were a life saver. :mrgreen:
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I had a Buddy.

I wanted a motorcycle.

I sold the Buddy.

I bought a motorcycle.

I really love riding the motorcycle, but it's not nearly as practical or as fun a commuter as a scooter, and commuting is 90% of what I do with it.

I bought a Stella.

I am selling the motorcycle.

Don't get me wrong, I really dig riding on the motorcycle, but I never like[d] riding on the freeway, and I rarely ever open[ed] up the throttle all the way (mostly because opportunities are limited the vast majority of the time, and I refuse to ride stoopid), so the extra speed of the motorcycle isn't worth it.

Insurance is considerably more expensive for a motorcycle, as is cost of entry.

Oh, and even if you do want a motorcycle in the future, learning riding skills on a scooter will be something that definitely helps you greatly in that venture. :D
Huh? What just happened?