Our First Scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Corsair

Our First Scooter

Post by Corsair »

Hello everyone :) My girl and I are looking into getting our very first scooters!!! Right away the Buddy caught our eyes. One question though... it seems that most people here have the Buddy 125 but would an unrestricted Buddy 50 be good for everyday transportation or is it more for having fun on the weekends? Is anyone familar with the performance on a unrestricted 50?
rablack

Post by rablack »

I've got the unrestricted 50. It keeps up with city traffic okay off the line. It tops out at about 40-45 (actual speed) on Houston's flat roads. When I bought it I thought I wouldn't need any more power than that. While I love the scoot, I sometimes wish I had sprung for the 125. Not that I really want to go much faster but having the extra umph would be useful (particularly for two-up riding). As it is I have to run with wide open throttle most of the time to keep up with traffic which keeps my mpg around 70.
GatsbyGirl

Post by GatsbyGirl »

Spring for the 125. You will get used to the 50 so quickly that within a month you'll wish you had.

Before I got my scooter I would sit on my husband's LX 150 and say, "It's just too big/heavy/scary/etc." Now, with a little practice, I could ride it without a problem. Luckily, the Buddy 125 is a peppy little scooter and faster than his off the line so I have no power envy.

If you're planning on doing a lot of two-up riding, I'd say you should look at some scooters other than the Buddy. When we're taking one, it's always the Vespa.

However, if you're each going to get one, the Buddy is great.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Thanks for the reply - We're both looking into getting Buddy's (she likes the Cream one and I like the Orange) So riding 2-up isn't necessary

Would anyone happen to know how much of an improvement adding a 70cc kit or performance exhaust/intake would make? Are there any cons to making such modifications? (Do they have those sort of parts for the Buddy 50?)
Last edited by Corsair on Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

I have the 50cc also, and it is perfect for my everday commuting in town. I've topped out around 40mph and have had an easy time keeping up with traffic.

I agree though, that if I would have known how much I love my scooter... I would have bought a 150. BUT... if you want to just scoot and forget about all the licensing... the 50 is the way to go! I've never had so much fun in my life.
It's Scooter-rific!!!
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

NarMeowZippy wrote: I agree though, that if I would have known how much I love my scooter... I would have bought a 150. BUT... if you want to just scoot and forget about all the licensing... the 50 is the way to go! I've never had so much fun in my life.

That's pretty much why we're looking into the 50cc. By the way, does anyone know if they have a Buddy repair manual?
Last edited by Corsair on Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

My first scooter is a 150. I've ridden several 50cc scoots, and without modifying them, most wouldn't take care of my needs. It's also pretty easy to get a motorcycle license in most states, and insurance on a 125 or 150 is pretty manageable.
- Bryce
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

When getting your motorcycle license will they allow you to test on your scooter? I'm thinking a Buddy 125 would be waaay different then a Honda Shadow :?

(PS~ I live in Detroit)
GatsbyGirl

Post by GatsbyGirl »

If you're going to take the MSF course (highly recommended by all) some states will let you use your scooter, others will not.

However, when taking the test, you can definitely use the vehicle you will be riding.
Fueldrum

Post by Fueldrum »

We bought a 125 and have been 9 kinds of pleased with it. Having that extra oomph off the line and the ability to cruise on 45-50 mph roads with no problem is well worth the extra expense I think.
--Nick
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It's all down to what sort of area you live in and what sort of riding you'll do. You may think you'd just want it for errands and around the neighborhood, but after a short while you'll be yearning to ride it everywhere and anywhere.
Corsair wrote:Would anyone happen to know how much of an improvement adding a 70cc kit or performance exhaust/intake would make? Are there any cons to making such modifications? (Do they have those sort of parts for the Buddy 50?)
The cost of adding these kits isn't necessarily worth what you'd get in return as far as top speed. Most upgrades will add to your off-the-line speed, but not add more than 5mph or so to your top end. Once you've added a 70cc kit, then exhaust, then variator and rollers, then upgrade your belts and so on, you've probably spent the difference between a a 50 and 125 and still not achieved the same performance. Add to that the fact that the more upgrades you pile on the more you sacrifice reliability and that your warranty will no longer cover your engine/transmission/exhaust as you add them and it's not really such a great deal.

You'd get more bang for your buck overall upkitting a 125, where the little extra you get in acceleration and power is more significant.

Which is aside from the fact that none of these performance parts are available (yet). Scooterworks is working on them.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I thought about the 50 as well, to save money (you still need a motorcycle license for it in Ohio).

Think about the roads you'll be on, monitor them for real speed in a car, and then factor in how big you are. If you only need to go max 40mph on flat roads and you weigh 110lbs, maybe the 50 would be perfect for you.

I thought about that one really big hill on my commute, and wondered if the 50 could drag my 190lbs up it anywhere close to normal traffic speed of 35mph.

I bought the 125 and I am glad I did. I zoom up that hill no problem, but I doubt the 50 would do it. Also, although most roads on my commute are 35mph zones, traffic does more like 45mph. I also found myself on a patch of 50mph zone right before downtown I hadn't realized was there when driving a car. All the cars there were doing about 55-60 and I kept up on my Buddy 125. I have also found myself wanting to go for high speed cruises on twisty country roads (though I haven't yet). :)

As for the MSF, take it. Lots of threads in here about it if you want peoples opinions on that.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
brat

Post by brat »

I just looked up Michigans laws for Motorcycles...I grew up there... and it says anything with a 50cc motor or higher you need a license. And the buddy is 50cc, not a 49cc. So your best bet is get the 125cc and get your permits. If you have never ridden anything the has 2 wheels and a motor, I suggest you ride around you neighborhood and get used to it at nice low speeds. That take the Motorcycle Safety Class. You are not going to get a lot of riding in the winter in Michigan, well at least I would not. And even less if I was learning. Remember the way you handle vehicles change in the rain and more in the snow. And people on 4 wheels can't seem to remember that even if they have lived there all their lives.

From what I remember the test at the Sec. of state office was not too bad. Get the 125cc, all you will have to do is change the oil and ride!!!!

Susan
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

brat wrote:I just looked up Michigans laws for Motorcycles...I grew up there... and it says anything with a 50cc motor or higher you need a license. And the buddy is 50cc, not a 49cc.
The Buddy actually is a 49cc. The number is often rounded for the sake of marketing, I guess. (The Genuine web site says 50; the Buddy brochure says 49.)
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

Corsair wrote:When getting your motorcycle license will they allow you to test on your scooter? I'm thinking a Buddy 125 would be waaay different then a Honda Shadow :?
In many states, you can take the test on anything that is classified as a motorcycle. When I passed my test in Kansas (on my 150cc scoot) I was then legally qualified to ride any motorcycle. Other states have graduated licensing. If you take it on a bike under X number of cubic centimeters, you're restricted to that or under.

Check your state statutes.
- Bryce
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

You've all raised some very good points and made us really consider what it is we want from a scooter. We both would like to use them for our everyday commute. We also are planning to take a trip on our scooters from Detroit to Chicago. Even though we won't be using the interstate there are still many roads that we would have to keep up with the flow of traffic. So in the end it looks like the 125 is the way to go! (I still think I'll be adding some additional upgrades once the warranty expires... lol)

brat wrote: From what I remember the test at the Sec. of state office was not too bad. Get the 125cc, all you will have to do is change the oil and ride!!!!
Susan
The written test wasn't difficult at all... I've gotten my motorcycle permit (although with it you have to ride with a licensed motorcycle driver at all times and you can't drive at night) - Looks like we'll be taking our MSF course in the spring, just hope to find a place that will let us use a scooter (being that the Buddy is an automatic and motorcycles are manual)

Thanks for all your help :) this is one incredibly supportive forum!