Loose mirrors get dangerous

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SKA'D_Scooterist

Loose mirrors get dangerous

Post by SKA'D_Scooterist »

I noticed my mirrors coming loose when taking my scooter cover off before I ride, and I tighten the nuts as tight as I think I should. However, twice in the past two weeks they have come loose as I was riding. [To clarify, I'm referring to the actually mirror shaft that is connected to the handlebars, not the mirror lens on the end of the mirror shaft.] My right mirror came loose as I was riding yesterday and, upon passing a car that was making a right turn, I attempted to merge to that right lane and almost became road mush by a suped-up scion who was probably going to fast anyway. Granted, I should've done a head check as well as signal, but I figured a quick glimpse in the mirror would suffice to execute this simple lane change. Once I noticed the mirror swinging in the breeze, I had already started changing lanes and thankfully I survived. So, all newbies be aware of this (that head check you learned about during the permit test may save your life) and does anyone have a solution to this mirror issue??

S.S.
SaltyDog

Post by SaltyDog »

Mirrors properly tightened shouldn't work loose, but maybe
some loctite might work? Use the kind that will break loose if you ever want to change it.
Cushman Deluxe Highlander Model 715 (back in the day)
CPI Oliver City 50
Honda Elite 250
Piaggio MP3-250
Lusting in my heart for a GB Pamplona...
Working my up to a Suzuki Burgman and retirement!
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

there's a way to tighten it... i think you turn the entire mirror stem a couple of time or something like that. the same thing happened to mine when i first got the scooter, and i brought it to the dealer here and they tightened it for me right in front of me. it took about 30 seconds. i should've been paying attention but i wasn't so i don't have a good description of exactly how to do it, but it's easy :) good luck w/it.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

mine kept doing that, blowing all freaky wacky at the most inopportune times. :) my service guy used some of the blue locktite stuff and i've never had a problem since, and its been about a year. :)

plenty of people have had this same thing happen, btw.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Bottom line is: It is IMPOSSIBLE to tighten those nuts with your fingers. I don't care if you are the incredible Hulk (of course he can't do it with those fat fingers). Tuighten with a wrench and you shouldn't have any issues.
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

well, i must have one of the weakest set of wrenches around then cuz no matter how tight i got them, they would invariably loosen and flap at some point. :) vibration, wind? who knows. but since the service guy applied the locktite i haven't had anymore problems.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
fiver1971

Post by fiver1971 »

I had the same issue a couple of times. At first I tried to tighten it by just swinging the mirror back into the correct location, which seemed to tighten it a little, but that didn't last long. Finally I used a wrench on it and was able to tighten it nice and snug. I've had no further issues since. Good luck with it.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

7eregrine wrote:Bottom line is: It is IMPOSSIBLE to tighten those nuts with your fingers. I don't care if you are the incredible Hulk (of course he can't do it with those fat fingers). Tuighten with a wrench and you shouldn't have any issues.
...and use blue loctite. Mine have never come loose since installing them with my windshield. Adjust to desired position, tighten down snugly with a wrench. Use BLUE LOCTITE, not red.

Fingers? My goodness, no. I once used a coke bottle for a hammer in a moment of desperation. Even though much heavier in those days it didn't have the desired result. :roll:
charltons

Post by charltons »

DennisD wrote:
Fingers? My goodness, no. I once used a coke bottle for a hammer in a moment of desperation. Even though much heavier in those days it didn't have the desired result. :roll:
You must also have a lot of duct tape around as well. :D
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

I just got my Bud and I have been having the same issue...typically after I go over a particularly bumpy road. Tried tightening with a wrench and it still happens...so I guess it's time for loctite.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

charltons wrote:
DennisD wrote:
You must also have a lot of duct tape around as well. :D
Not JUST duct tape, but multiple rolls of different colors! For those special 'designer' handyman moments. :D
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Yeah as others have said it is possible to get them tight enough where they won't move.

You definitely need to wrench them. Wrench them tight a little out of position and then move them into position to tighten them a bit further (they go opposite ways so make sure you are tightening it further when you move the stem rather than loosening it). That's the technique that seems to work the best around here.

The loctite is a good suggestion too. But just using your fingers won't do it. That's for sure.
rablack

Post by rablack »

remember too that one of the shafts (can't recall which one) is reverse threaded.
Scooterist, lawyer, double bassist www.traveler-music.com
Xena

Post by Xena »

I have had mine jiggle loose when riding and keep a wrench handy for just those moments...
spinbud

loose mirror

Post by spinbud »

I too had the same problem with the right mirror loosening, first time on the ride home the day I became a Genuine rider. I've since carried a wrench for it and have used it a couple of times. Guess I'll use Locktite. Been reluctant 'cause it contains chemicals that react and set-up over time and been afraid of over-tightness.
Bethers

Post by Bethers »

I've had the same problem, and had someone tighten them for me saying it wouldn't happen again - wrong - took longer, but it happened again.

Since my Buddy rides on the back of my rv, I take the mirrors off when on the road, so using something like Locktite won't work for me.

I've gotten in the habit of using the wrench and tightening every time before I drive off. It's become part of my checklist - but I'm always still afraid it's going to happen again.
Beth
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Bethers wrote:I've had the same problem, and had someone tighten them for me saying it wouldn't happen again - wrong - took longer, but it happened again.
True. Same with me. I tighten them regularly with a wrench. But whenever I'm going over 50 into a headwind and hit a bump, it breaks loose and starts swinging around. I was planning on using locktite after it happened again yesterday and poof....this thread started today.
anndelise

Post by anndelise »

an adjustable wrench was my first scooter tool..and the first one I began carrying around with me for every ride. before I had it though, i was out in the middle of nowhere (ok, not quite nowhere, but at least 10 miles from home and 20 miles from anywhere else). I turned the mirror until it felt tight, but it didnt' line up well, even after fiddling with that lock down nut thingy. So I had to keep turning it, pushing it hard until it went into position. I just knew i had stripped it. :( But when I finally got home, richard said that since it's metal if it was stripped, then it would have just kept spinning. I didn't have any problems with it, but did avoid putting it into the van because i didn't want to take off the mirror out of fear of not being able to get it back on. Alas, a bit after my crash and the mirror was swinging again. *sigh* it wasn't even the one on the crash side. So, back to locking it down before every ride.
The scootering section of my blog: http://anndelise.wordpress.com/category/scootering/