scooter covers

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

betsy q. bramble

scooter covers

Post by betsy q. bramble »

I tried using the search function for this, assuming it had been discussed, but came up fruitless. My apologies if it's redundant.

I'm wondering what the rest of you renters/people with small homes/no garages do to protect your scoot from the elements. I'd like to get a good cover for it, but realizing that I also have to buy a helmet, jacket, lock, etc etc etc...I can't really spring for the deluxe scooter/bike covers that look like small homes. I want...let me rephrase..NEED affordable, but quality. Does this exist?

Any creative solutions? I was also considering getting a little tent thingy to set up in the yard to park her under.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I don't know if they would work or not, but I've used barbeque covers for many things. They fit over all sorts of stuff depending on which size you buy. They are pretty cheap at Home Depot or Lowes.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

I don't remember how much I paid for it, but I had bought a cover for my Honda Civic a few years ago. I never used it, and when my husband had to store his motorcycle in a semi-weatherproof garage I threw this over it. Of course the cover was really biggish, but it worked out for the best because I could tuck and tie (nothing elaborate and time-consuming with the tying - think using the fabric to tie itself like tying up the front of a t-shirt) and really get it wrapped around the bike securely.
~Celebrate~
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

+1 on the BBQ cover. That will work pretty well. For a few extra bucks I got a Dowco Scooter Cover. About $35.

It fits the Buddy nicely (though I can't remember what size I got!!). The heat shield that is supposed to allow you to put it on hot and not get melted by the muffler is too small and would never fit perfectly on the muffler, so I kind of hook it on the little fan cover on the right side and then either come out later and put it down fully when the Buddy has cooled down or just leave it that way.

A little tent would be cool, but also you really can just leave it out. It won't melt. I don't use my cover too much now, and it gets rained on pretty hard often and it's fine.
betsy q. bramble

I also want it for theft deterrence ..it would make me feel better to cover it up so as not to be so enticing to all the hamburglars out there in the night.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

betsy q. bramble wrote:I also want it for theft deterrence ..it would make me feel better to cover it up so as not to be so enticing to all the hamburglars out there in the night.
that's a good point. I think it's less of a target when it's just some covered 2-wheeled thing.

Plus many actual scooter/MC covers will have eyelets to put a lock through.
jonhen

Post by jonhen »

I bought the Prima cover that is specifically made for the Buddy. It fits very nicely, comes with a bag that the folded cover goes into, and the whole shebang fits inside my pet carrier with plenty of room to spare. I use it at work to keep the scoot nice and dry for my drive home.

It may cost a little more than a barbecue cover, but I think it's worth it. Besides, shouldn't your Buddy look stylish even when it's covered?

Here's the link:

http://www.scooterworks.com/Scooter_Cov ... 66C291.cfm

I might add that Scooterworks is a great place to shop from. They shipped very quickly, and everything I've ordered from them has been as advertised and without problems.
"When I have a little money I buy books, and if any is left over I buy food and clothes" -- -- Desiderius Erasmus

My Blog: http://www.jonathanhenderson.com
betsy q. bramble

plus they give you candy. don't forget the candy!
jonhen

Post by jonhen »

Oh, the candy is yummy! My last order came with a box of "Apple Juice Smarts" (or something close to that). Delicious and "all-natural", according to the box. I ate the whole box in one day.
"When I have a little money I buy books, and if any is left over I buy food and clothes" -- -- Desiderius Erasmus

My Blog: http://www.jonathanhenderson.com
betsy q. bramble

jmazza wrote:+1 on the BBQ cover. That will work pretty well. For a few extra bucks I got a Dowco Scooter Cover. About $35.
buhh....the website is wonky and won't let me put any credit card info in. this appears to be the best deal i've found so far, too. well.with your aid.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

betsy q. bramble wrote:
jmazza wrote:+1 on the BBQ cover. That will work pretty well. For a few extra bucks I got a Dowco Scooter Cover. About $35.
buhh....the website is wonky and won't let me put any credit card info in. this appears to be the best deal i've found so far, too. well.with your aid.
really? I think that's where I got mine and didn't have problems. But it was a while ago and I don't totally remember.

maybe it's sold for the same price elsewhere?
anndelise

Post by anndelise »

I got a $40 mc cover.
The first one I bought said it would fit scooters, it was a small size.
Unfortunately, it doesn't fit scooters that have a basket in the front or a basket/case in the back.
I returned it and got a bigger one.
So far I wait until the scoot's cooled off before putting it on. Not sure how I'll do it when rain comes.
I also have my scoot up against my deck with a tarp that hangs over and covers the scoot as well.
Sometimes I'll do just the tarp, or just the tarp until the scoot cools down.
If I'm not going to ride for a couple of days, I make sure to put on the mc cover.

I've also started carrying some garbage bags with me.
The thought is that if it rains, I can cover the seat with one, and the handlebars with the other.

I don't work and I've got a yard, so what i do won't necessarily work for a scooter sitting out for a few hours in a parking lot.
The scootering section of my blog: http://anndelise.wordpress.com/category/scootering/
Redrider

Post by Redrider »

I actually just recently purchased a cover (after using a sturdy dropcloth for a year) and it was the best purchase i have made thus far, I bought it off ebay from seller 'take cover' and was quite impressed, for $20.00 solid cover with bungee, vents, carrying case, I bought the honda helix cover for extra room to wrap the underbelly and it fits like a proverbial glove. The company shipped in 2 days for $20 I couldn't be happier. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtakecover!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

jonhen wrote:I bought the Prima cover that is specifically made for the Buddy. It fits very nicely, comes with a bag that the folded cover goes into, and the whole shebang fits inside my pet carrier with plenty of room to spare. I use it at work to keep the scoot nice and dry for my drive home.

It may cost a little more than a barbecue cover, but I think it's worth it. Besides, shouldn't your Buddy look stylish even when it's covered?

Here's the link:

http://www.scooterworks.com/Scooter_Cov ... 66C291.cfm

I might add that Scooterworks is a great place to shop from. They shipped very quickly, and everything I've ordered from them has been as advertised and without problems.
This sounds like a cool one- the Dowco cover doesn't fold up into any carrying case and can be a bit of a pain to store.
standup

Post by standup »

I use a giant muddy blue plastic tarp that looks like it should be covering a pile of cinderblocks. It also gives me that freshly-melted-blue-plastic-smell everywhere I go. Especially when I forget to keep the damn thing away from the tailpipe.

It's not water I mostly care about, it's bird droppings.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

standup wrote:I use a giant muddy blue plastic tarp that looks like it should be covering a pile of cinderblocks.
+1

I keep one at work in case of rain while I'm there. It's the best $3.00 I ever spent. It works just as well as those fancy, expensive motorcycle covers.
<b>2006 Buddy 125
1974 Honda CB350F
1972 Honda CB350 Twin
1968 Honda S90
1965 Lambretta Li150

1975 Ford Bronco</b>
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

I agree on the Dowco cover.
It's a pretty good one for less than $40.

I really like the elastic sewn into the hem and the aluminized panel lets me
cover the scooter within a few minutes and not worry about melting the cover
on the pipes.

I bought the small size but it's too small because I have a windscreen, (it doesn't cover the front wheel).
I wish the site that I bought it from had the same info that was on the Dowco Guardian box:

Small:
Most scooter & mopeds 50cc & under.
Meduim:
Most scooters 80cc to 250cc w/ mirrors only
Large:
Most scooters 80cc to 250cc w/ full windshield and trunk
XL:
Most scooters up to 650cc

I can tell it going to last several years so now I will buy the correct size
and use the small-sized one to cover the gas grille. :)
BarbieBuddy

Post by BarbieBuddy »

I bought a motorcycle cover size M from Walmart for $19 for my buddy 125. I don't have a basket or windshield yet but plan to get them so I needed to make sure I had room for growth. It fits great and I think it will also fit my accessories when I get them. It has the elastic, heat resistant panels, carrying case and it snaps underneath my scooter.

They have a scooter cover too but as you all know, scooter accessories are on back order around the country so I just went with the motorcycle cover and it works well for me.

I found it in the automotive section at walmart where the car covers are. Tried to order on-line but nothing came up, so I just went to the store and there were several on the shelf. Good luck!
betsy q. bramble

Is there any ill effect to having a scooter/motorcycle cover that is TOO big? I found one for a decent price at Target but they only have them in XL.
Xena

Post by Xena »

Mine is a leftover from a Ducati motorcycle and although a bit big for the scooter, it does the job perfect.

I only keep mine covered when it is garaged over some of the winter...
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I saw a riding lawn mower cover at Walmart for $9.92. It was 78"x30"x48" I think. I don't know if it would work or not, but the price was right!
Xena

Post by Xena »

k1dude wrote:I saw a riding lawn mower cover at Walmart for $9.92. It was 78"x30"x48" I think. I don't know if it would work or not, but the price was right!
That sounds like it would be pretty darn close!
spinbud

scooter cover

Post by spinbud »

Early on I went to the local bicycle shop(Reality Bikes, Cumming) and bought an vinyl bike cover. Fits good enough and rolls up to an 3" round tube so fits very nicely and weighs nothing. When I get to work I cover all back to the seat, good enough. Later I bought a nicer cover with elastic 'round the edges and a vent. Fits great but doesn't pack well, that pesky vent and all. Still use the vinyl cover. As I don't cover the extreme rear, fumes, schmumes.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

betsy q. bramble wrote:Is there any ill effect to having a scooter/motorcycle cover that is TOO big? I found one for a decent price at Target but they only have them in XL.
Only one I can think of is that sometimes a cover can act like a sail in strong side winds and a few Buddys have been knocked over this way.

Even a tight cover leaves a lot of "sail like" material between the seat and the front of the scooter- but one too large could make it worse.

Many of us take our covers off if it's particularly windy for this reason. So if you watch for that, you'd be fine.