Bloomington (IL) to Bloomington (IN) Baby!

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

redcass

Bloomington (IL) to Bloomington (IN) Baby!

Post by redcass »

I have planned this trip for months and months, and now I'm half way through! It was somewhere over 200 miles--the discrepancy b/t Google and my odo is kinda funny.

The trip went pretty smoothly, 5.5 hrs in all, but not without event. Such as:
  • arrived at a corner, went to grab my 'map booklet' and found it missing from my glovebox. :shock: Turned around, kept eyes peeled on the road, found it (yay!) a very long 5-10 minutes later. Turned around again and kept on.
  • Road closed! The detour was the interstate. :x So...I found my own detour.
  • After crossing state lines, yet another road closed! This time, the detour would have made me backtrack at least 20 miles. I was low on gas, and I knew none of the recent towns had stations, so I tried again to find my own detour. Got some directions from some locals, eventually found the highway again.
  • Really almost ran out of gas. I slowed to 30mph for about 15 minutes to keep my mpg up. The gauge was at the far left for quite a while when I finally found a station. :twisted:
Attachments
All packed up and just about ready to go!
All packed up and just about ready to go!
packedup.jpg (110.36 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
What that sign says.
What that sign says.
btob.jpg (80.59 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
I'm takin' her across state lines--woo-hoo!
I'm takin' her across state lines--woo-hoo!
IN.jpg (114.11 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
I took this WHILE the engine was running right after I arrived at the gas station.
I took this WHILE the engine was running right after I arrived at the gas station.
nogas.jpg (87.79 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
at a lovely fountain on IU campus
at a lovely fountain on IU campus
fountain.jpg (113.73 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
Last edited by redcass on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedCass
docutech

Post by docutech »

Awesome!

Thanks for sharing the experience and pictures! Looks like you are having a great time despite the "bumps" and almost running out of gas. Enjoy your stay and have a save trip back.

How much was your Buddy off mileage wise compared to Google's mileage estimation?
redcass

Post by redcass »

docutech wrote:Awesome!

Thanks for sharing the experience and pictures! Looks like you are having a great time despite the "bumps" and almost running out of gas. Enjoy your stay and have a save trip back.

How much was your Buddy off mileage wise compared to Google's mileage estimation?
Thanks! It seems like more than 10% off. I'm not sure exactly with my detours, though.
RedCass
Queen

Post by Queen »

What a fun ride!! I bet you rolled right by me here in CU?
Xena

Post by Xena »

You, my dear, are an absolute inspiration!

It sounds like you had a blast even if there were a few little hiccups.

How was to ride that far alone?
Last edited by Xena on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redcass

Post by redcass »

Pax wrote:What a fun ride!! I bet you rolled right by me here in CU?
Hey! Another central Illinoisan! Did you get your Buddy at Illini Scooter? Bloomington's a pretty good town for scootering, how is Urbaign?
RedCass
redcass

Post by redcass »

Xena wrote:You, my dear, are an absolute inspriation!

It sounds like you had a blast even if there were a few little hiccups.

How was to ride that far alone?
Thanks, you're sweet! It was a really nice day for a ride, just a bit too windy, I didn't mind riding alone. But I would've welcomed company too.

Any chance you'll take a ride of your own soon?
RedCass
Xena

Post by Xena »

I love riding alone at times for being able to get lost in my thoughts...but you did a good haul on your own and you should be wicked proud!

You mentioned wind...do you also find that the Buddy is not so sturdy feeling when the wind picks up?

Hubby and I ride together all the time and have been enjoying exploring the state of Rhode Island. He has recently moved her from England so this is all new to him and new to me through his eyes, if that makes sense.
Queen

Post by Queen »

redcass wrote:
Pax wrote:What a fun ride!! I bet you rolled right by me here in CU?
Hey! Another central Illinoisan! Did you get your Buddy at Illini Scooter? Bloomington's a pretty good town for scootering, how is Urbaign?
Yup, Dale at Illini Scooters set me up!

This town was made for scootering, I live in Urbana less than two miles from work at UI...free parking at the door, 90+mpg, and a FUN ride to and from every day!!
redcass

Post by redcass »

Xena wrote:I love riding alone at times for being able to get lost in my thoughts...but you did a good haul on your own and you should be wicked proud!

You mentioned wind...do you also find that the Buddy is not so sturdy feeling when the wind picks up?

Hubby and I ride together all the time and have been enjoying exploring the state of Rhode Island. He has recently moved her from England so this is all new to him and new to me through his eyes, if that makes sense.
Sure, that does make sense! Sometimes I had a nasty cross-wind, and that was rough in a few spots. I also got chilly and put on my rainjacket liner under my mesh jacket. It fits pretty well, but there was a bit of a 'sail' effect. 8)
RedCass
MPA

Post by MPA »

sounds like a fun trip. I'd love to take a decent ride on mine :D
redcass

a couple more photos

Post by redcass »

From the remainder of my trip:
Attachments
Whoda thunk I'd pass through Brazil on this midwestern trip?
Whoda thunk I'd pass through Brazil on this midwestern trip?
brazil.jpg (98.33 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
At the Sample Gates that welcome folks to Indiana University's campus (photo taken by a lovely couple who came over to ask me about 'the neatest scooter set-up they'd seen, with the case and the saddle bags and the nice green color')
At the Sample Gates that welcome folks to Indiana University's campus (photo taken by a lovely couple who came over to ask me about 'the neatest scooter set-up they'd seen, with the case and the saddle bags and the nice green color')
samplegates.jpg (105.81 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
at Lake Monroe, Indiana's largest inland lake
at Lake Monroe, Indiana's largest inland lake
lakemonroe.jpg (92.41 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
RedCass
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

It looks like you had a great trip, those are some very cool pictures. About a year ago you replaced the white wall tires on your Buddy. Now that you have encountered a variety of road conditions, what do you think of your replacement tires.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
Xena

Post by Xena »

Fantastic pix!!!
redcass

Post by redcass »

hcstrider wrote:It looks like you had a great trip, those are some very cool pictures. About a year ago you replaced the white wall tires on your Buddy. Now that you have encountered a variety of road conditions, what do you think of your replacement tires.
Ah, it's funny you should ask! I actually had to replace the rear tire right before my trip. I had had Zippy 1s, but the back one tore right at the valve. Since the Italia came with tubed whitewalls, and the Zippys are tubeless, the mechanic needed to add a valve (and the Scooterworks salesperson hadn't sent the valves with the tire :evil:). This time around, Scooterworks was out of Zippy 1s, so I got a Zippy 3 instead. And after much convincing, the salesperson relented and sent me a new valve. That valve is L-shaped, and fits the tire really well. I believe I'll actually get a fair chunk of mileage on that one. (crosses fingers)

So with a Zippy 1 on the front and a Zippy 3 on the back, it was a nice ride. I felt that I had ample traction, and swerving around potholes was quick and easy. In comparison, those tubed whitewalls were total crap, and I would not have chosen a long road trip with them.
RedCass
donkin

Post by donkin »

Thanks for the pics and the updates on the ride. As an IU grad, the photos brought back memories!

Guess it's time to think about a trip from Fort Wayne dwn to Southern Indiana.

Safe travels!

Don
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Great pics redcass!!

It's an impressive trip you made... sounds like you dealt with the inconvenient problems (detours, gas, etc) really well!

Inspirational to be sure!
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

Congrats!

When you get home, can you mail me some Advanti's? yum!
MPA

Post by MPA »

cool pictures!