BMW C1 scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sradwick

BMW C1 scooter

Post by sradwick »

Anyone seen one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_C1

Nice concept. I wonder if the other manufacturers will offer something similar.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Diamo Velux?
SaltyDog

Before it was a Diamo Velux

Post by SaltyDog »

It was originally a Benelli Adiva
Cushman Deluxe Highlander Model 715 (back in the day)
CPI Oliver City 50
Honda Elite 250
Piaggio MP3-250
Lusting in my heart for a GB Pamplona...
Working my up to a Suzuki Burgman and retirement!
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

A few years ago, I saw a multitude of those roaming the streets of Paris.

(And if not those specifically, they looked remarkably similar!)
Huh? What just happened?
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

I dunno... I think they look ridiculous.

But they don't ask me. Someone must think they're cool.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

just saw a beemer scoot w/o the top yesterday
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

AxeYrCat wrote:A few years ago, I saw a multitude of those roaming the streets of Paris.

(And if not those specifically, they looked remarkably similar!)
+1

i have seen many of them, but only in europe.
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
iinigma7

Post by iinigma7 »

About 5 years ago there was one of those around town in Greenville. I saw it a few times. This would not surprise me as they have a huge production facility in the neighboring city of Greer.
"...faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I still think the C1 was a good idea which will probably be revisited at some point (though maybe not by BMW). There are other scoots with canopies, but nothing this integrated. The Piaggio MP3 has an add on.

From what I've read, the C1 had performance and handling problems. But cross this concept with something like the MP3 or Venture One with a hybrid or electric powertrain and you could have one awesome, economically feasible vehicle.

Maybe VW (which is developing 2 and 3 wheeler prototypes) will take this on.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

Yes, they are all over the place in Paris and Stuttgart, me & the Mrs. saw a lot of them when we were there last year....

Kinda like the roof thing... 8)
"Social graces, got any"
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

I like the "windscreen wiper with washer fluid" feature - in rainy weather, having repetitively to finger-wipe my face shield is a hassle (especially while riding). Too bad the American 2-wheel community is generally averse to trying new stuff (unless it's strictly performance oriented), or we'd get a wider range of selections for our scooters and motorcycles.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Actually this isnt a concept, a few guys have them in the USA, I've seen pictures of them in rallies at scoot.net
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jfrost2 wrote:Actually this isnt a concept, a few guys have them in the USA, I've seen pictures of them in rallies at scoot.net
Heh, by "concept," I meant "idea." The C1 was in production from 2000-03. It was never sold in the US, though some were imported by individuals.

If you look at the specs, it's a wonder this never caught on. It seems as if BMW was just one or two steps away from making this work—improved handling (maybe larger wheels?) and a bigger engine. I love the idea of something with so many options available.

Check out the Peraves MonoTracer. This has a 1200cc BMW engine. Does 155 MPH. Costs $82K! Not saying this is necessarily the way to go… Sure someone can do something smaller and cheaper. I mean, the Venture One will be under $20K!
Those wheels on the side raise & lower for parking. In the raised position, they jut out and I think allow you to lean almost all the way down?!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I've seen this before on gizmodo.com, it has training wheels that go down when preparing to stop, but I think it would never work, if you make a sudden stop, the wheels would come down too.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jfrost2 wrote:I've seen this before on gizmodo.com, it has training wheels that go down when preparing to stop, but I think it would never work, if you make a sudden stop, the wheels would come down too.
That's why a 3-wheeled tilting vehicle is the way to go! If the Venture had been available this year, I may have actually bought one.