Getting a new exhaust, rollers, clutch spring, etc!

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mrs.Spaceman

Getting a new exhaust, rollers, clutch spring, etc!

Post by Mrs.Spaceman »

I'm getting the "performance kit" from the local dealer put on my Roughhouse as soon as they schedule an appointment with me. It includes a new exhaust, rollers, clutch spring, new jet, and probably more I'm forgetting about. $300 including labor. It would be $215, but I'm too lazy to do it myself. Supposedly I'll get another 10 HP out of it.

There's also a 70-cc upgrade involving a bigger carb that I might look into sometime if I feel like spending $400.

I'll let y'all know what kind of improvements I see.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

They probably meant 10HP in total, which ain't too shabby. The stock 110 puts out 9HP for comparison. Enjoy the new found zip in your 'House :)
EZPZ #65
Mrs.Spaceman

Post by Mrs.Spaceman »

Oops, that's what I meant to type! :oops:
BGK

Post by BGK »

nissanman wrote:They probably meant 10HP in total, which ain't too shabby. The stock 110 puts out 9HP for comparison. Enjoy the new found zip in your 'House :)
But I doubt 10 HP. Maybe if one added the cylinder kit it would get close to that but just the pipe and variator/carb adjustments to suit will probably be something along the lines of 6ish.
Mrs.Spaceman

Post by Mrs.Spaceman »

He might have been referring to installing EVERYTHING, not just the exhaust/roller kit. The guy kinda mumbled a bit, so I probably misunderstood him. I thought 10 HP seemed kinda high, but then again I don't know what I am talking about and am not afraid to admit it. They know at the dealers' if they lead me on I'll open a can of whoopass :) I have been very pleased with them so far. I think they like it when I go in there because my newly painted scooter and matching seat cover are drawing a lot of attention!
linuxmann

Post by linuxmann »

I'd like to hear what your top speed is after the mods...im considering doing it if it's worth it
ScootLemont

Re: Getting a new exhaust, rollers, clutch spring, etc!

Post by ScootLemont »

Mrs.Spaceman wrote:I'm getting the "performance kit" from the local dealer put on my Roughhouse as soon as they schedule an appointment with me. It includes a new exhaust, rollers, clutch spring, new jet
My Rattler 50 came from the dealer with those mods (including a prima pipe) so I dont know how fast it was before....
but I have had mine to 49MPH (on the GPS) & it showed 54MPH on the speedo - this was on level ground.
I am a big guy - 210lbs & 6ft tall so I assume someone smaller would get a little more speed out of it.
The nice thing is its pretty good on hills - I live in a very hilly town (built on a river valley) & again, I dont know how good a stock 50 would have been, but mine does not have any troubles with the hills.
Mrs.Spaceman

Post by Mrs.Spaceman »

Mine will get up to 51 (at least that's what the radar sign they put up to deter speeders said, but it was probably wrong). Who knows, if I would've had a level road to work with it might have gone faster. That was stock, derestricted. I don't think I can get away with going that fast in a 25 mph zone again though, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to measure the speed again. It was stupid, but that sign was just sitting there tempting me!!!

I'm hoping for better acceleration and maybe another 3-5 mph top speed. I'm supposed to take it in after work today to have everything done. I'm going to wait on the 70cc kit for now.
Mrs.Spaceman

Post by Mrs.Spaceman »

I got my scooter back today. IT'S SLOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!! They put a 90 jet in it, taking it back tomorrow to try an 85. I get this wierd lag from 0-5 mph, then it shoots off like a rocket up to 30, then my 30-50 is slower than it used to be. Seems some more tuning is in order... The mechanic didn't have a lot of time to work on it, so he expects me to be bringing it back for adjustments.

I think I will suggest to them that they include a performance air filter in their "kit" and charge $25 more for it. I can tell I'm definitely going to need it. Not much sense in having a better exhaust if you don't have the airflow to support it.

So, we'll see how the different jet goes. It came with 3 different sizes.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Mrs.Spaceman wrote: I get this wierd lag from 0-5 mph, then it shoots off like a rocket up to 30, then my 30-50 is slower than it used to be. Seems some more tuning is in order...
Did you do the prima pipe?
I have it & mine works kind of like that... like a lag to 5mph & the its like a turbo boost - but mine does not taper off after 30 - the "boost" keeps going all the way to max speed
I believe the "boost" is the prima pipe in action
BGK

Post by BGK »

The lag is from the transmission not being set up right. Either slightly too heavy roller weights or you need to set up the clutch to engage later.
Mrs.Spaceman

Post by Mrs.Spaceman »

I'm not sure what weight of rollers were put in. He did mention getting a new clutch to take care of the lag problem, but it's $75. I don't know if it's actually worth it. I'll see what happens after taking it in today. I've been trying to stay away from adjusting anything myself because it's still under warranty. Any parts and labor from them is still covered, even the 70cc kit.
Groovealufagus

Post by Groovealufagus »

A "performance air filter" typically costs close to $50.00. And, ultimately, it could cause you more or less issues with tuning.
Mrs.Spaceman

Post by Mrs.Spaceman »

I have the 85 jet in now, and it has helped a lot. I get up to 50 indicated in the time it used to take me to get to 40. I still have the lag problem at the beginning. The mechanic is putting on a different clutch spring than came with the kit because he was not pleased with the results using the other spring. This weekend I'm going to try taking the air filter out but leaving the case on to see if it's the filter that's causing the problem. If so, I'll fork out a whopping $20 and give the performance filter a try ($20 is what he quoted me, no labor charge). During the time I had the Roughhouse in the shop, I got to ride around a Vespa 250cc. It was not enjoyable. The thing was just too big, and felt very clunky. Then I rode a Piaggio Fly 150 for a little bit, which was better, but not my Roughhouse. I have to say, after riding those I was glad to have my zippy little Roughhouse back. The handling is so much better :)

So, I'll have more updates Monday after my new clutch spring is put on.