Just been de-restricted!

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ovrkast

Just been de-restricted!

Post by ovrkast »

Went over to a friend's house last night and got my Black Cat de-restricted. Wow...what a difference in performance. Before going uphill I could only hold 20mph and now it's between 30-35mph. Before on flatways and downhills I was maxed out at 37mph and now it's between 45-50mph.

Aside from the performance increase, it has gotten louder too...LOL. Don't care too much about the noise level as it makes it easier for others to hear me and be more aware of my presence. I was mostly concerned with better take off, hence my reason for getting de-restricted. I sure wouldn't mind a quieter scooter, but I think with removing the restrictive washer that a louder exhaust system is a given :shock:
denskies

Post by denskies »

must be a pretty steep hill that gets your 50cc scooter going 50 mph.....
Silver Rattler buck ten
Custom bars
clutch spring kit
21 mm carb
custom front turn signals

Soon to be "the BATtler"
BGK

Re: Just been de-restricted!

Post by BGK »

It really shouldn't get that much louder. Reinstall the exhaust and make sure it's fit securely.
ovrkast

Post by ovrkast »

denskies wrote:must be a pretty steep hill that gets your 50cc scooter going 50 mph.....
It's pretty steep...about a 10% downgrade. I live here in the hills of Lake Tahoe so the roads are anything but flat, and now with the de-restriction it makes it more fun to go up and down hills :D
ovrkast

Post by ovrkast »

BGK wrote:It really shouldn't get that much louder. Reinstall the exhaust and make sure it's fit securely.
That's what I thought too, so I asked him to reinstall it again and it was a tight fit. He was also servicing my friend Karen's Yamaha Vino 50cc scooter and her exhaust got louder too, but not as much as mine. But then again her configuration is probably much different than our Black Cats :?:
denskies

Post by denskies »

lake tahoe kicks ass. Northstar has sick shredding
Silver Rattler buck ten
Custom bars
clutch spring kit
21 mm carb

Soon to be "the BATtler"
ovrkast

Post by ovrkast »

denskies wrote:lake tahoe kicks ass. Northstar has sick shredding
Haha...now you know the hills I have to deal with =)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Hey... my Rattler 50 will do 49mph (gps confirmed) on flat road & I am not a small guy!
(upgraded rollers, jet & prima pipe from the dealer before I bought it)

denskies wrote:must be a pretty steep hill that gets your 50cc scooter going 50 mph.....
denskies

Post by denskies »

....then why did I buy the damn 110? ha
Silver Rattler buck ten
Custom bars
clutch spring kit
21 mm carb

Soon to be "the BATtler"
BGK

Post by BGK »

ovrkast wrote:
BGK wrote:It really shouldn't get that much louder. Reinstall the exhaust and make sure it's fit securely.
That's what I thought too, so I asked him to reinstall it again and it was a tight fit. He was also servicing my friend Karen's Yamaha Vino 50cc scooter and her exhaust got louder too, but not as much as mine. But then again her configuration is probably much different than our Black Cats :?:
It's almost exactly the same. Same cylinder, very similar exhaust. I guess it would get louder. I just considered it a very marginal increase in sound. Did the person remove the fresh air injection system on the exhaust? It's the tube that comes off the exhaust and leads back towards a small box near the intake. If they didn't seal that off well, it will be loud for sure (and not good from a mechanical standpoint.).
Mrs.Spaceman

Post by Mrs.Spaceman »

My Roughhouse goes 51 according to radar. But, I do have the advantage of weighing 115 lbs. Mine did get louder after derestricting it. It is even louder now that I just got it back with my new Prima pipe on it. Haven't had a chance to top it out again. I have to go back tomorrow for some adjustments.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I never heard mine before the prima pipe... but it is louder than the buddy 50 & vino I test drove - being a guy, I kind of like it having a little noise to it
& yes... you have a weight advantage over me as I am 6ft & about 210lbs so my poor scoot is hauling around an extra 100 or so pounds compared to yours!
Mrs.Spaceman wrote:My Roughhouse goes 51 according to radar. But, I do have the advantage of weighing 115 lbs. Mine did get louder after derestricting it. It is even louder now that I just got it back with my new Prima pipe on it. Haven't had a chance to top it out again. I have to go back tomorrow for some adjustments.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Little off topic:
denskies wrote:....then why did I buy the damn 110? ha
so you didnt have to take the time to pull off the Rattler 50 stickers!
What were they thinking?
topic3715.html
ovrkast

Post by ovrkast »

BGK wrote:
ovrkast wrote:
It's almost exactly the same. Same cylinder, very similar exhaust. I guess it would get louder. I just considered it a very marginal increase in sound. Did the person remove the fresh air injection system on the exhaust? It's the tube that comes off the exhaust and leads back towards a small box near the intake. If they didn't seal that off well, it will be loud for sure (and not good from a mechanical standpoint.).
I wasn't actually there when he performed the "de-restriction". When I got there he told me there were two washers, but he only took one off and I believe it was in the muffler. He said if he took off the other one (carb system??) that it would be even louder and probably yield some higher performance. After hearing what the one washer did, I said that it was plenty loud and plenty fast for what I need. He showed me the washer and it was like the size of a quarter maybe with a "cap" that covers it. Sorry I couldn't be more of help, but I'm really not that mechanically savvy. He's a good friend so I trust his judgement on what he did.
Mrs.Spaceman

Post by Mrs.Spaceman »

From what I understand, the other one restricts the amount of fuel that can flow through the system. It kinda looks like a wedding ring. I have both pieces that were taken out, but I don't know which came from where and might have it backwards. I know that I saw a HUGE improvement when both were taken out at the same time, compared to when both were in. Gained about 13-15 mph, way better acceleration, and even better gas mileage because I no longer had to floor it to keep up with traffic. It was a little louder, but not much.
BGK

Post by BGK »

Mrs.Spaceman wrote:From what I understand, the other one restricts the amount of fuel that can flow through the system. It kinda looks like a wedding ring. I have both pieces that were taken out, but I don't know which came from where and might have it backwards. I know that I saw a HUGE improvement when both were taken out at the same time, compared to when both were in. Gained about 13-15 mph, way better acceleration, and even better gas mileage because I no longer had to floor it to keep up with traffic. It was a little louder, but not much.
The restrictive parts don't restrict fuel flow. The ring is in the transmission to limit the travel of the CVT. It's like having a 4 speed and deactivating the 4th gear. The other restriction is in the exhaust. It limits the ability of the exhaust to exit and thus the motor doesn't make as much power. So one part of the derestriction adds power and the other makes better use of the power of the engine.
Mrs.Spaceman

Post by Mrs.Spaceman »

Here is the issue I'm dealing with... one of the guys at the dealer apparently doesn't know what he is talking about. This is the same one that said I'd gain 10 HP putting the exhaust on. I know he's not purposely feeding me BS, he just doesn't know how everything actually works. He knows how to change the oil and derestrict a scooter. The other guy, the actual mechanic, does know what he's talking about and told me not to ask the other one questions anymore.

That's why I need you guys to straighten me out!

:D