Do Scooters Promote Laziness?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jperkins

Do Scooters Promote Laziness?

Post by jperkins »

Here is my delima...I work for a church and live about two blocks away. 90 percent of the time I ride the scooter to work because its easy and takes nearly no resources. But recently I have been getting the "Your lazy" from my co-workers and boss.

I will be honest, if i had to go through all the hassel of the car i'd probaly walk, so i guess maybe the scooter has made me a bit lazy.

Has anyone else experienced a decline in there walking since they got thier scoot?

My next thought is, should i just embrace my new found laziness and get a segway.
DennisD

Re: Do Scooters Promote Laziness?

Post by DennisD »

jperkins wrote:Here is my delima...I work for a church and live about two blocks away. 90 percent of the time I ride the scooter to work because its easy and takes nearly no resources. But recently I have been getting the "Your lazy" from my co-workers and boss.

I will be honest, if i had to go through all the hassel of the car i'd probaly walk, so i guess maybe the scooter has made me a bit lazy.

Has anyone else experienced a decline in there walking since they got thier scoot?

My next thought is, should i just embrace my new found laziness and get a segway.
Embrace your new found laziness but do not get a Segway. You would have to stand instead of sit.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

All I do after buying my scooter is lie on the couch eating bon bons. Oh wait, come to think of it, nothing has changed.
Last edited by k1dude on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jperkins

Post by jperkins »

alright i just told my wife about this thread and she so kindly reminded me that I have also put on thirty pounds since I got the scooter........arent wives great, but seriously, am i the only one who has experienced this?
apetit

Post by apetit »

So I'm now faced with an additional choice when going to the store (about 4 blocks away): Do I drive, do I scoot, or do I walk. Mostly I walk (unless I convince myself that I need to go somewhere 6 blocks away or am making a "larger" buy) because I don't think driving is worth it and gearing up takes time.

Besides, theory says that if you walk you'll live longer. Which gives you more time to ride the scooter...
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

yikes! sorry but i have to agree with your wife :) unless those are 2 reeeeealllly long blocks then there's no reason to scoot for 2 blocks.

have you considered riding a bicycle?

don't get a segway. you'll end up on the internet like this woman (see picture)
Attachments
lazy.jpg
lazy.jpg (45.56 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

:shock:

are you kidding me? that is outrageous!
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

i don't think you are the only one, i know sometimes after riding i feel like i have accomplished something then i have to remind myself "it's not like you were on a bicycle you weren't getting excersize even if you are hot and sweaty." i think i walk and ride my bike less than before because the scooter is more fun.
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

My problem is that once I've gotten geared up for the scooter ride, 2 blocks isn't enough. First I go for a 30 minute ride and then I stop at the store. That is also the dirty little secret why I don't save much gas with a scoot.
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Gotta agree with Brown Hornet. I don't ride my bicycle as often since I got my Buddy because the Buddy is just so much more fun to ride! I have noticed that I have to watch my weight more now, since I am not walking or riding to work. :(

But there's nothing like the feeling of running a bunch of errands on my scooter and then looking at the gas gauge - it's barely moved. :)

PasadenaSue
charltons

Post by charltons »

I live 6 houses from my brother-in-law. If I need to get something from him I ride the scoot. Now that's lazy!
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

charltons wrote:I live 6 houses from my brother-in-law. If I need to get something from him I ride the scoot. Now that's lazy!
Actually that might change in time. With a fairly new Buddy being so much fun, lots of excuses are made to grab another riding opportunity.
charltons

Post by charltons »

DennisD wrote:
charltons wrote:I live 6 houses from my brother-in-law. If I need to get something from him I ride the scoot. Now that's lazy!
Actually that might change in time. With a fairly new Buddy being so much fun, lots of excuses are made to grab another riding opportunity.
Well, that's exactly whta that is. "Oh, you need to borrow somw sugar...SCOOT!" "You want to go play with your cousins?...SCOOT!"
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I'm thinking the scoot has definitely made me lazier... which isn't easy, cuz I was pretty lazy already. There is one good thing though, now I want to get out and do stuff just to ride... for instance, this evening I wanted to ride so I called my dad (he has a Helix), but he doesn't get off till 9. So, I says how bout I just scoot over to your work and bring the longboards and we can skate the parking lot after they close?! Then we can ride home! See, that was all Buddy's idea.

Just when I thought he couldn't possibly make me any lazier, he goes and does something like this...

AND TOTALLY REDEEMS HIMSELF!!! :lol:
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Yaow, it's cut my bicycle riding about in 1/2! Hafta watch that..! :wink:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
standup

Post by standup »

Damn, I've gained 3 lbs since getting a Buddy 50 a month ago (500+ miles, some of them definitely recreational). Guess I better not scoot too much.

But today I was gonna walk one of the dogs up to the video store to return a DVD, but she behaved badly and got to stay home. Then I got on my bicycle (see 3 lbs., paragraph above) but since riding Saturday it's developed a completely flat front tire.

So! It's on the scooter, and off I go, with a stop at the grocery store and what have you, maybe a 5 mile loop. Which is a great dog walk or bike ride, but not today. Guess I'm getting lazy too.
Syd

Re: Do Scooters Promote Laziness?

Post by Syd »

jperkins wrote:...Has anyone else experienced a decline in there walking since they got thier scoot?
I actually walk more now. The 2-wheeled parking area at work is further away than the spot I used to park in. And like most here, I find more reasons to run errands, so there is more walking in stores. And I often forget something at the store (damn my memory!), so I have to go back, so that doubles the store walking.

But of course, I was a slug, so the scoot has risen me to sloth status!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
onemind

Post by onemind »

Drumwoulf wrote:Yaow, it's cut my bicycle riding about in 1/2! Hafta watch that..! :wink:
Yeah, I've barely ridden since I got my scoot. I mean to, but...
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

un_designer wrote:yikes! sorry but i have to agree with your wife :) unless those are 2 reeeeealllly long blocks then there's no reason to scoot for 2 blocks.

have you considered riding a bicycle?

don't get a segway. you'll end up on the internet like this woman (see picture)
All I've got to say to that is...Yikes...... :shock:
"Social graces, got any"
marsturm

Post by marsturm »

I am less lazy. I'll run an errand now that I would have avoided doing by car or motorcycle.
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

Dooglas wrote:My problem is that once I've gotten geared up for the scooter ride, 2 blocks isn't enough. First I go for a 30 minute ride and then I stop at the store. That is also the dirty little secret why I don't save much gas with a scoot.
Amen...I think I always get an extra 20 minutes on every drive just because.
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

In a word, "YES"

Why ? because its so darn much fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Social graces, got any"
BM

Post by BM »

No, I wouldn't say this - but I would agree that I actually am less lazy in the sense that I'm more likely to leave the house now, whereas before if I needed something I'd try to procrastinate about it or avoid going to pick it up.

Most of the places I have to go are too far from my house to walk and are not safe for cycling so I would have driven anyway.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

I would call walking 2 blocks lazy.

Walk out to the garage. Open it. Start Buddy. Wait 3 minutes for him to warm up. Don gear and/or helmet. Scoot. Get to destination. Degear and/or dehelmet. Lock gear up.

That's a lot of work when you could just walk out the door and go. :D
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I'm less lazy now, as well as being less of a homebody shut-in. I NEVER go home straight after work anymore. I'm either loitering at the scooter shop, riding around town, or out and about window shopping. And I can go out at night without having to flag down a cab or risk getting shot on the subway or pick-pocketed on the bus! :D
ModBud #442
iinigma7

Post by iinigma7 »

Keep your scooter, but also use this for 30 mins. each morning. It's working like a charm for me. I've lost 8 lbs. using it (not a whole lot to lose in the first place, so that's pretty good I think) and I look a lot more toned.

"...faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!"
MAJensen

Post by MAJensen »

It’s not making me lazier at all. I figured that the best (cheapest and without voiding my warranty) performance mod I could do as far as speed and acceleration was to lower overall weight. So I think of that when I don’t want to go to the gym, or crave a big bacon cheese burger. Backing my xciting into the garage on my steep driveway is a bit of a work out as well.
Twentyfourskys

Post by Twentyfourskys »

no way dude, with the amount I sweat I promise you I have only lost weight by riding haha
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I think...

Nevermind...it's too much work to type...
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
sherides

Post by sherides »

I have had this discussion with a friend who used to ride his bike everywhere and now scoots. I still ride my bike or walk to places I consider too close to scoot to... generally 1 mile or less. And sometimes I ride the bike when I feel like I've been too much of a slug. My friend? Well... when his scooter was in the shop, it was back to the bicycle for him. I suspect that will be the only time he's on two wheels under his own power, though, unless prodded!