What you DON'T like about the Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lotte

What you DON'T like about the Buddy?

Post by lotte »

Hi all! :D

So far, all the reviews about the Buddy have been absolutely stellar, which is very encouraging for someone looking into getting a Buddy.

But here is something I'm curious about:
If there are any, what are some things you'd like to see changed, or would rather have differently on the Buddy? In other words, can you think of any possible shortcomings?

Thanks in advance! :wink:
paige

Post by paige »

I don't love the resting foot position of the floorboards. I have average size female feet, and I am constantly "managing" where I am going to set my feet down. My husband rides with his toes pointed out like a motorcycle cruiser. Not a deal breaker, but I will see when I do a longer (+10) miles ride.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

paige wrote:...My husband rides with his toes pointed out like a motorcycle cruiser.
I saw somebody else doing that and I thought it looked kinda cool. Did you try it? It's actually very comfy.
lets_not_listen

Post by lets_not_listen »

yeah, i like riding "toes out" too.
-lnl
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

Very unaccomodating (or no) foot space for 2 up.
ramrezz425

Hi this is my 1st time

Post by ramrezz425 »

I ride my gts with my right foot hanging out, the left one seems to fall in a usual spot on the floorboard. DR
Attachments
OC Websize pic.jpg
OC Websize pic.jpg (59.53 KiB) Viewed 2487 times
DR
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

I would like a rear shock with an adjustable preload. I found myself wanting a stiffer rear suspension under compression on my test Buddy. The rebound seemed ok, but I could feel the suspension bottom out a few times at higher speeds.

Once I got the rear brake adjusted, I was happy with it. The front brake on my tester didn't have as much feel and feedback as I usually like. Not sure if that's common to them all or what.
- Bryce
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

Bryce Ludwig wrote:I would like a rear shock with an adjustable preload. I found myself wanting a stiffer rear suspension under compression on my test Buddy. The rebound seemed ok, but I could feel the suspension bottom out a few times at higher speeds.
On choppy pavement I notice "porpoising" of the scooter, where it feels like it is jumping front to back. I would imagine that adjustable suspension would help, but not sure if the preload needs to be higher or lower.
Last edited by mlstephens on Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

Bryce Ludwig wrote: The front brake on my tester didn't have as much feel and feedback as I usually like. Not sure if that's common to them all or what.
I agree. I've been noticing that on my Buddy too. I'm going to have them check the front brake when I take it in for service this weekend, but as you said, it might just be a normal thing for this brand of scooter.

~ Shellee
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Shellee wrote:
Bryce Ludwig wrote: The front brake on my tester didn't have as much feel and feedback as I usually like. Not sure if that's common to them all or what.
I agree. I've been noticing that on my Buddy too. I'm going to have them check the front brake when I take it in for service this weekend, but as you said, it might just be a normal thing for this brand of scooter.
Hey all,

Ask your mechanic, just servicing the brakes can make a difference in the feel. It won't help the feedback.

Also, a hot topic in MSF classes is making certain that you use both front and rear brakes to stop your machine as quickly as possible. From my experience, I don't think you have to worry about locking up the brakes on a Buddy, so don't be afraid to work them. It would be better if they had more feedback, though...