Gear Oil Overfill

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

spinbud

Gear Oil Overfill

Post by spinbud »

It Buddy spits out the excess gear oil from an overfill. From where does it come? Can it be viewed on page 67 of the service manual downloadable from this site? Thanks for the help.
sotied

Post by sotied »

Could you clarify some of your question please.

OK, please clarify all of your question.

Is your scooter dripping or spitting gear oil?

Is this happening when it's running?

What site and manual are you talking about?

What scooter do you have?

How old is it?

Have you had any service on it?

Did the spilling/spitting start just today, yesterday, after a ride, during a ride, on the beach, in a hat, on your cat, near a clam, sam I am...not?

Thanks. I'm sure plenty of people have answers for you, but the question you ask actually has to have some info in it and be in the form of a question.

Jeff
spinbud

gear oil overfill

Post by spinbud »

Hey Jeff, I appreciate your thoughtful response. '07 buddy 125. I overfilled when I changed the gear oil at, yes, 200 miles. Maybe 30-40 ml too much. It would spit it out after a long or hard ride. Spillage noted on rim and up above and just F/W of the drain plug. Has progressively eased up and now negligable. Thought it was a bolt, the one just F/W and inside of the drain plug, one of the bolts that hold the gear case together, so I tightened, ever so slightly (worried about strippage). Have since found a hole in the gear box just F/W (forward, immediately F/W) of that bolt. I'm 99% sure this is where it is coming from. I assume this is a weap hole. If you look at page 67 of the service manual on this site for the (04 125 PGO-Buddy) downloadable from the "For all new members" heading in the General Discussion Forum, about the 3rd topic down. It shows a channel within the gear box. Looks like one of those kids puzzels where you "find your way out" by tracing a line through a maze of dead-ends with one through route. It's just hard to believe that gear oil expansion is so significant that it needs to get out, particulary given the size of the gear box and the little amount needed to re-fill. Is it mostly a heat vent that some oil gets through or is this a bleeder by design. I assume all this 'cause it started after an overfill, eased with progressivel release, happens after high temp (long run) conditions and there is a hole. I'm no longer much worried about it just interested in understanding as much as I can about my ride. Thanks. PS: will post another question about best place to route a battery tender hook-up for the winter...to avoid moisture and carb fumes.
sotied

Post by sotied »

Holey yikes...literally.

I don't know about a weep hole in the gear oil area, but maybe there is one.

I'm glad the oil stopped leaking, but it's still something to maybe take a look at or have a shop peek at.

Now I'm wondering if I have that hole in my engine too? I'll have to look tomorrow.

Thanks.

Jeff
spinbud

gear oil overfill

Post by spinbud »

Page 105 of the VespaLX 150 manual on the Modern Vespa site has a bleeder hose coming off the gear box. I assume we have a hole and they have a hose. I'm no mechanic, just an anal researcher obsecessed with maintenance. Scott, PS: My shop does the minumum, didn't change the gear oil at 500 miles as indicated by the manual. So am sure they would dismiss as unimportant. Scootering Magazine, from the UK and available at selected Barnes and Noble has lots of info about Vespa and Lambretta and LMLs but nothing about the Buddy, not sold as such there. But what it does show is how balls-on gonzo they are about scootering in the UK. Sales, support, service, mods, rallys etc. I could find my answer there. But everybody there lives in apartments and has bad hair, right? To see the hole you have to use one of those mirrors on a stick things.