Running out of gas question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

schroeder

Running out of gas question

Post by schroeder »

If your Buddy runs out of gas and you have to bring gas to the scoot, do you have to prime the carb or just dump in the fuel and go?
Me? I ride for the bugs!
rickko

Post by rickko »

I've read here that its a gravity feed fuel system therefore priming wouldn't be necessary. Probably a few twists of the throttle is all you'll need to do.

Good luck!
..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

No need to prime it.

I thought the question was going to be, "Should I be embarrassed if I run out of gas?" The answer to which is, "Yes, I was."

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
sotied

Post by sotied »

Elm Creek Smith wrote:No need to prime it.

I thought the question was going to be, "Should I be embarrassed if I run out of gas?" The answer to which is, "Yes, I was."

ECS
OUTSTANDING.

Haven't run out yet. Knocking on plastic.
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

I actually didn't run out (yet). Just covering all the bases. Good to know no priming is necessary. Thanks
Me? I ride for the bugs!
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

Put the gas in and a few twists while starting should work fine.

Don't ask me how I know. :roll:
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

ok for the rest of us who wants to know, how long a distance can you ride when the needle is touching the little toothpick thing at the end of the E in the red zone?

and answer anonymously if you like :wink: :D
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Until it quits.
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

I thought I was going to run out the other day in the middle of nowhere. I have a digital gauge that was yelling at me for 5 miles until I reached a gas station.

I would not like getting stuck!
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

I'm going to purposely run out of gas, when I get my scooter. [long post with spoilers!]

Side note: It's funny (odd) for me to keep saying "when I get my scooter", but I find solace in the fact that since I've deposited money for the order, I pretty much already have one waiting to be built (or shipped) from Taiwan. So please forgive me if it becomes repetitive.

So, yeah, I'll be purposely running out of gas for this reason: I want to know my mileage a little more accurately. I've logged in the gas consumption by my car (Mazda3) for almost the entire 24500 miles I have on it, and I must say that the average that the onboard computer indicates is fairly dead on - about 26.5 mpg in my mixed commute. I've also tried using 87 and 91 octane in different times and it seems like the car works fine with 87. The mileage differential is neglible considering it's a mile (maybe) better with the 91, and with the premium usually being about 20 cents higher than the regular, it doesn't really matter.

I'll be doing the exact same experiment with the Buddy, and since I work in a chemistry lab, I have access to all the volume measuring equipment and plastic non-volatile 1-liter containers I need. So in essence, I will buy gasoline by the gallon, measure them as precise as I can by volume and by weight (ooohh, density measurements anyone?) to 1 liter and place them in preweighed 1-liter containers (this should take into account fuel that clings onto the bottle after pouring). I'll tote around 3 bottles plus the one liter in the tank, and when I empty, record miles, pour 2nd bottle, run until empty, pour 3rd bottle, etc. I'll do this a few times during the first month of ownership, then take sample measurements now and again.

I'll probably calibrate my mph and mpg with my Garmin GPS as well to ensure a "true" measurement as opposed to the one given by the odometer/speedometer on the Buddy.

So all in all, I'll be doing a science experiment... or to heck with it and just have fun with the scooter!!! Zooom Zooom to Wheeeee!!!!

Oh and here's the spoiler: I'm still keeping my Mazda. It's also got spoilers.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

What if you're coasting downhill really really fast and the wind is blowing hard and you get to the bottom and twist the throttle and nothing happens and you know you're out of gas but it was a really really long steep downhill and you don't know where you ran out of gas or when? And its raining, at night.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

From experience, about 25-30 kilometers on my bike. I've decided the '08 Buddy 125 tanks are five liters. Hitting E means 4 liters are gone, so you have one liter left as "true reserve".
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

BeetleGoose wrote:I'm going to purposely run out of gas, when I get my scooter. [long post with spoilers!] .......

....So all in all, I'll be doing a science experiment... or to heck with it and just have fun with the scooter!!! Zooom Zooom to Wheeeee!!!!

Do you have a lot of free time?!?!?! :lol:
Elm Creek Smith

DennisD wrote:What if you're coasting downhill really really fast and the wind is blowing hard and you get to the bottom and twist the throttle and nothing happens and you know you're out of gas but it was a really really long steep downhill and you don't know where you ran out of gas or when? And its raining, at night.
Trust me, when you run out of gas, you know it. The engine stops firing, and you immediately start slowing down. Been there, done that.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

jmazza wrote:
BeetleGoose wrote:I'm going to purposely run out of gas, when I get my scooter. [long post with spoilers!] .......

....So all in all, I'll be doing a science experiment... or to heck with it and just have fun with the scooter!!! Zooom Zooom to Wheeeee!!!!

Do you have a lot of free time?!?!?! :lol:
It shouldn't take that much time. I figure I can store a gallon of gas at my home; bring all the 1-liter bottles I will need (4 in all), the measuring cylinder, and the weighing scale home; and do all the refilling of the bottles at home. It shouldn't take no more than 5 minutes for every four bottles. Once I get the preliminary measurements (fuel density, bottle weights, etc.), it should just be a matter of filling the bottles. Then it's off to riding with at least a full bottle under the seat.

I'm relatively good with the Chemistry part of this experiment, since I've been doing it for a good part of my adult life - first as a student, then researcher, then technician, then analyst, etc. etc. etc. - so it will be cake.
DennisD wrote:What if you're coasting downhill really really fast and the wind is blowing hard and you get to the bottom and twist the throttle and nothing happens and you know you're out of gas but it was a really really long steep downhill and you don't know where you ran out of gas or when? And its raining, at night.
Trick question! Here in SoCal, we rarely get rain, and if I do experience rain, I'll be taking my car. Also, here in the Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valleys area we lack the really, really steep downhill grades. And if I do happen to be stuck in a situation like that, then I would do what any good scientist would do: throw the results of that particular experiment out. You almost had me there. :wink:
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I'm going to purposely run out of gas, when I get my scooter.
I've already done this! I ran it out of gas on purpose and then filled it up with exactly 1 gallon of gas I kept in a gas can (for just such an occassion). Did that to test my mpg (ran it out again after I put the 1 gallon of gas in).

I did run out of gas one other time. Fortunately, I was able to coast into a gas station, right up to the pumps! Unfortunately, they were having some kind of system issue and could not set the pumps to dispense gas! However, the clerk was nice enough to call the head office and they were able to set the pump for me so I didn't have to push the Buddy anywhere.

As Elm Creek mentioned, when your Buddy goes dry you will go no farther. It's "cough" "cough" and then you stop! :shock:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

So with all this talk about MPG and 91 vs 87 and enjoying riding instead of driving, I got to thinking, "Are people actually saving more gas?"

With all the scooting/scootering going, are people riding much more than they would in their cars? More so, that any fuel savings they have by riding a scooter is offset by the fact that they ride more miles?
pugbuddy wrote:I've already done this! I ran it out of gas on purpose and then filled it up with exactly 1 gallon of gas I kept in a gas can (for just such an occassion). Did that to test my mpg (ran it out again after I put the 1 gallon of gas in).
So what was your MPG outcome? How long did you do it for?
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Most use saving money on gas as a reason (excuse) to get a 2 wheeler. Many forget about that after a while when the fun factor kicks in. I don't care if my mileage drops below 128mpg any more. I love to ride. Saving money on gas is secondary.
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

You now I may be in the minority here, but I only purchased the scoot for fun. I could see it being used to save gas, but it really doesn't fit into my normal commutes so I still have to drive my car. I guess it only saves gas for me for quick trips to the store.
dfwbill

Post by dfwbill »

DennisD wrote:Until it quits.
Stop it, your killing me here... the ppl in the next cube row are wonding what the hell is wrong with me I'm sure.. :rofl:
My Buddy is a Hornet!
hackett

Post by hackett »

BeetleGoose wrote:So with all this talk about MPG and 91 vs 87 and enjoying riding instead of driving, I got to thinking, "Are people actually saving more gas?"

With all the scooting/scootering going, are people riding much more than they would in their cars? More so, that any fuel savings they have by riding a scooter is offset by the fact that they ride more miles?
To quote a friend of mine (who rides a Kymco)
Hah! Weenie little gas-saver article. My scooter is a gas-WASTER!

How? Well, my car gets about 27 mpg and I drove it about 400 miles a month.

My scooter gets 65 mpg and I drive it more than three times as much as I did the car, cuz it's more fun.

So I was burning about 15 gallons a month with a car. Now it's 18-20 gallons with the scooter. I'm never catching up, I'm falling farther behind. And it's fun!
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
RabidChild

Post by RabidChild »

DennisD wrote:Most use saving money on gas as a reason (excuse) to get a 2 wheeler. Many forget about that after a while when the fun factor kicks in. I don't care if my mileage drops below 128mpg any more. I love to ride. Saving money on gas is secondary.
Amen, I've had my Buddy for a little more than two years and all of the sudden people are starting to ask what kind of gas mileage it gets. Heck I don't know anymore, but I don't spend much on gas and it's fun to ride. When I first bought it I was all about getting a little log book and keeping track of the numbers, now I just want to fill up and go.
hammer down
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I don't do liters and the manual lists two numbers for capacity. The most I have put in yet is 1.2 gallons. So how much does it actually hold from E to F?
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

olhogrider wrote:I don't do liters and the manual lists two numbers for capacity. The most I have put in yet is 1.2 gallons. So how much does it actually hold from E to F?
Bout that much, maybe a tad more. I think 1.3.
Elm Creek Smith

olhogrider wrote:I don't do liters and the manual lists two numbers for capacity. The most I have put in yet is 1.2 gallons. So how much does it actually hold from E to F?
When mine ran out of gas and I finally got to the gas station (1/4 mile uphill then a 1/4 mile coast downhill), it took 1.642 gallons to fill it up. I think that's pretty definitive.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

[quote="Elm Creek Smith it took 1.642 gallons to fill it up. I think that's pretty definitive.

ECS[/quote]

Thanks. I was surprised that the last "quarter" tank was gon in 13 miles! Now I know I gould have made it to the next planned stop without a detour.
mbrider

Post by mbrider »

I was able to make it approx. 20 miles before I ran out of gas after the needle pegged to empty. I would have filled up on my way but I forgot my wallet at home. I was lucky however as I ran out of gas 100 ft from my drive way so I pushed the Buddy home and filled her up with my lawn mower gas can. At least I know where true empty is!!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

According to PGO, the tank holds 1.2 gallons normally, but there is also a reserve which holds some gas too, that's why some people are filling more than 1.2 or 1.3 gallons of gas when they run out/near run out.

If you run out of gas from a full tank, you were running off your reserve and emptied it, that's why you can fill more than usual into your tank.
naptime

Post by naptime »

i ran out today at an intersection while going to get my daughter :oops:

busy intersection. lots of people watching. here i am waiting to make a right hand turn, and sure enough.. the engine just stopped.

plenty of poeple staring at me.

luckily the gas station was also at the corner i was sitting at (dont ask why i didnt pull in there in the first place i'm just a moron) so i just pushed it up the driveway to a pump.

but yeah, plenty of people were staring at thefat guy PUSHING his scooter.

i get to the pump and a guy at the next pump goes "hey, what kind of gas mileage does that get?"

i reply " about 100 miles a gallon"

he shoots back... "too bad it doesnt get 101 miles a gallon! :) "

i had that one coming
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

naptime wrote:
i get to the pump and a guy at the next pump goes "hey, what kind of gas mileage does that get?"

i reply " about 100 miles a gallon"

he shoots back... "too bad it doesnt get 101 miles a gallon! :) "

i had that one coming
FOr some reason I didn't see that coming. I have tears in my eyes Im laughing so hard!!!!!
MMMMMMMMMMMMM
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

I can get about 30 miles out of the red zone.
But it is a very nervous final 10.

That was going at least 50 mph.

I'm not embarassed to run out of gas. But I would NEVER call the Genuine Roadside Assistance for that kind of incident.
NEVER.

It's nice that you can, but how ridiculous. Let's see, you run out of gas for two reasons
1) you forget to get some
2) you are a long way from home and don't have any gas available

I went into desolate areas without an extra gas can, that's my fault, not Genuine's.
I dunno know, something about being able to call that number makes me grumpy.