I wonder if this will ever happen at a scooter rally...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

AxeYrCat

I wonder if this will ever happen at a scooter rally...

Post by AxeYrCat »

Last edited by AxeYrCat on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huh? What just happened?
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

what the hell?
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

grrrrr :evil:
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Wouldn't happen to me ... red buddys are too fast for that to go down.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Wouldn't happen to me ... red buddys are too fast for that to go down.

No, you'd be the primary target. Have you ever looked at insurance prices on cars that are red vs ones that are not? Way higher. They're out to get you. Good thing my Buddy is orange like a safety cone!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Cop is relieved of his duties. The guy on the bicycle looked like he was trying to go around the cop and not cause him a problem. Poor stressed police officer. Nasty biker probably called him a name or something else that was hurtful.
Ohhhh, the city is going to pay dearly for that one! Can you say world travel and lifelong retirement at 23 without laughing?
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

WTF was that for??
mayra

Post by mayra »

i don't know, to me it looks like they were waiting for him and once he got near, they pounced!

he must have done something a ways back and they were waiting for him. Does anyone know the real reason why he was knocked down?
n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

I don't think he did anything.

What I heard was the officer had some story about the bike running him over and knocking him down and the bike rider screaming at him.

Then the video surfaced.
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Um yeah ...
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

It looked to me more like he was near the end of a line of bicyclists (and the NY police notoriously dislike Critical Mass rides), and therefore easier to pick off without getting hit by riders following him.

A forum frequented by police officers, though, seems to agree with you.

Also note that the officer has been suspended, so apparently, they didn't have much on they cyclist (though they did hold him in custody for 26 hours or something like that).
Huh? What just happened?
thecarver61

Post by thecarver61 »

That cop is an asshole! I'd sue the crap out of them.
n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

I didn't say that's what happened.

The earlier poster said they wonder if the rider did anything.

I said, I don't think so. I heard the cop had some story he was telling and then the video came out, which appears to refute the officer's claim.

Sorry I wasn't clear.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Hey, I'm walking here, I'm walking here.

That would make for a great MB scavenger hunt photo. Thats got to worth some serious points.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Critical Mass rides are very controversial. A lot of people feel that in the urban areas where they're most likely to occur, they create a public nuisance and disrupt traffic. See the comments here: http://tinyurl.com/6294lx

I don't really agree with that.

Either way, the officer's actions were inexcusable. The cyclist was arrested for assault! Welcome to the age of video, officer jackass! Your ass is so busted.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
mayra

Post by mayra »

ericalm wrote: Either way, the officer's actions were inexcusable. The cyclist was arrested for assault! Welcome to the age of video, officer jackass! Your ass is so busted.
yes, i agree that it's inexcusable. I hate seeing crashes on bicycles and it being done on purpose looks even more ouch-worthy
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

and the cops wonder why everyone hates them....f'ing a'hole.

There was absolutely no reason for that. Any moron can see the guy turning a wide arc around him, and his head doesn't even turn to look at him. You know why??? Because we grow up thinking they're here to PROTECT US. Yeah, right.

Hope you end up living under a bridge when you lose your job, you piece of crap, sorry-ass excuse for a police officer.

BTW: A citizen would be arrested. A cop *may* lose his job. Gee, that's fair.

(Sorry, but this kind of stuff is what I expect to see in 3rd world countries...not the "Big Apple".)
Cya!
Mark Turkel
http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com
http://www.BeGreenSaveTheWorld.com

Genuine Buddy 125cc
Powder Blue - (Yes, I picked "that" color cause I likes it!)

Like someone else said "Saving Gas and Sticking it to the Man!"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

MarkTur wrote:BTW: A citizen would be arrested. A cop *may* lose his job. Gee, that's fair.
The cyclist can file criminal assault charges against him as well as civil charges. He may lose his job and be in a lot more hot water, too.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LriR6NY_ ... re=related

at about 1:45 into it... there is a NYPD scooter!!! and it gets knocked over!!

:twisted:
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I'm not necessarily saying that I think that the Critical Mass rides are without flaw, but clearly, violence isn't the way to deal with them.

(And no, I'm not saying that I think anyone here tried to express such sentiment.)
Huh? What just happened?
hackett

Post by hackett »

AxeYrCat wrote: A forum frequented by police officers, though, seems to agree with you.
Good lord, that thread is creepy as all getout. Thin blue line, indeed... :(
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Looks like the PO was just enforcing helmet law, but with his own personal twist. (Note to self: always wear a helmet in NYC. Always)

It reminded me of the Discovery channel; watching a pack of zebras crossing a stream and a crocodile patiently waiting, then pouncing. This crocodile had a gun and a badge, though.

Not cool. Just goes to show that PO are humans, and humans make flawed decisions all the time... silly humans.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

so I was riding back to work after lunch today, and I pass this deli that always has funny signs... and I saw this out front!

Now This kinda goes with the NYPD thing... but it more specifically goes with what happened with the Seattle Critical Mass last weekend...

A car back up into a row of bikers as they were riding, then pull forward into some more. Some of the bikers broke out the guys window, started punching him in the face... and eventually dragged him out of his car and totally wailed on him... :twisted:

I do not condone violence... I swear...
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

What do your guys' Critical Masses say to people they pass by? Both times I've been in CM rides so far (I hope that count goes way up before this winter) the people I've been near have been really good about responding to any crowd reaction -- whether "What are you guys riding for?", "Get the hell out of the way!", or angry honking etc. -- with a simple "Happy Friday!!" It's a kind of laidbackness I really love about this city.

Not that I wouldn't have joined in on the Seattle event... :P
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

yeah the only masses I have done have been in chicago and they have all gone pretty smooth... crazy other cities... :roll:
gymnation

Post by gymnation »

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."
-- Voltaire
Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

i hate to burst everyone's "this cop is SOOO going down because he knocked a dude off his bicycle" bubble, but uhm, cops have done much worse, like shoot and kill an unarmed person IN THE BACK and gotten away with a slap on the wrist.

maybe that only happens in texas, but i doubt it. this cop *might* get suspended for a few days, but i very seriously doubt he'll be punished any worse.

but that's all i'll ever say about cops.

the end. :D
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."