Scooterworks has Buddy rear racks in stock!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

greencountry

Scooterworks has Buddy rear racks in stock!

Post by greencountry »

Cabingirl noted it in one of the threads, and I thought it deserved its own post with a clear title pursuant to Forum Policy LessATS-1.

Both black and chrome are listed as in-stock. Damn, wish I could have a black one now instead. It's even $10 cheaper.

For those like me who are waiting for a front rack... no dice for us yet. :cry:
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Thanks for the update. I was waiting for one to surface! Order placed :D
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

Yeah thanks! Just placed an order.
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

Well I just found out they do not have any in stock even though the web sight says they do. I was just notified it is on backorder!! :evil:
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

D'oh. Maybe all the ones that just came in are already spoken for by the time you ordered. Sorry...
docutech

Post by docutech »

That is exactly the same "bait and switch" Scooterworks pulled on me a month ago. The site said they were in stock so I ordered one. 2 days later I got an email that they were backordered. I canceled the order. :roll:
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

Ronin, did your order come back to you backordered?
armacham

Post by armacham »

I've had it backordered for 2 weeks and I'm sure that lots of other people do too. Still seems weird that they would put it online if they don't really have any
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Hmm, just checked both my email and my status on the scooterworks site. My order is showing as processed, but still in an open status. I haven't received any email indicating that it's on b/o as of yet. I'll cross my fingers, maybe mine might be filled...
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

Ronin wrote:Hmm, just checked both my email and my status on the scooterworks site. My order is showing as processed, but still in an open status. I haven't received any email indicating that it's on b/o as of yet. I'll cross my fingers, maybe mine might be filled...
Mine says all that too. I found out it was out of stock because I called them.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Ahh, interesting... guess I may need to give them a call tomorrow and find out what's up.
Jake

Post by Jake »

Hm...I ordered one this afternoon. I sure hope they actually have one for me.
riancurtis

Post by riancurtis »

damnit
this is such bullshit. i ordered it literally before this topic was posted. i check it everynight. i have a hard time believing that if they had some in stock i did not beat the crowd. i am calling them at 10 CST and if they dont have it I am done with it. ARGH.
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

Is it just me or do many of the scooter businesses seem unable to meet minimum levels of professionalism? Indicating you have stock on a webpage while actually being backordered IMHO does not meet the general expectations of how a business should be run. I've run into a couple businesses now, like cbxmanmotorcycles.com and Scooterworks, that just can't seem to get their stuff together.

I know there's a surge in the scooter market this year. But why is it so hard to even have accurate status updates on inventory, or to be able to track orders and get back to people? I backordered a helmet from Scooterworks before I had a helmet (July 5 or so), and still haven't heard from them. I really doubt they *still* don't have that helmet, it was a mainstream Chinese mass-produced model (Z1R I believe). I have a feeling Scooterworks just lost my order. As I ranted in another thread, people at cbxman kept giving me different answers on the status of my order and not calling back when they said they would.

The scooter industry is definitely not ready for American prime-time at this rate...
riancurtis

Post by riancurtis »

order cancelled. i am incredibly pissed off about this. i cannot stress enough how i really dont think there is any way THAT many orders went before me. The guy on the phone just made it sound like i was SO late and there is now a 2-4 week wait list.
blah.
does anyone have good experiences with scooter works?
I did with my oil filter.
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

riancurtis wrote:order cancelled. i am incredibly pissed off about this. i cannot stress enough how i really dont think there is any way THAT many orders went before me. The guy on the phone just made it sound like i was SO late and there is now a 2-4 week wait list.
blah.
does anyone have good experiences with scooter works?
I did with my oil filter.
I'll let you know after my scheduled service tomorrow. I'm a little anxious that they've forgotten about scheduling it, to be honest, given that they seem to have very poor memory.
docutech

Post by docutech »

The important thing to remember is that your credit card will not be charged until the item ships. So, really, it isn't THAT big of a deal. Other items that are in stock are shipped in a timey fashion and people rave about their service then.
My personal oppinion is that if you know that you don't have the product in stock then dont advertise it as being "in stock", plain and simple. If Scooterworks gets 100 orders for the rack that is supposedly in stock, they can bet on the fact that 30% of the orders will be cancelled (like mine) The other 70% will wait patiently untill the items are avaiable and arrive at their door heaven knows when. They are still making money. Not something I favor, thus it was my choice to cancel my order. Nothing to lose sleep over...
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Mine's on backorder as well. I'm honestly not shocked at this. Considering there are many people that are looking for the racks and more than likely a very limited supply was received at Scooterworks, first come first serve goes fast on the net. I'll wait it out. Eventually one will come in somewhere, somehow!
armacham

Post by armacham »

They shipped mine today, that I had backordered on the 19th.
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

Black rear racks are in stock.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Has anyone tried their local dealer? I got a black rack for my '07 Buddy 125 from my dealer Philadelpnia Scooters, (for about the same peice as Scooterworks!) over a year ago...
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
farrellcollie

Post by farrellcollie »

I ordered a chrome rear rack last week from http://www.vespaedwardsville.com/ and received it within a week. The only thing is that I had thought I ordered the black one and apparently I ordered the chrome.
Campbell990

Post by Campbell990 »

The rack I ordered from scooterworks 6 weeks ago was just charged to my card, so hopefully my name was on one of the ones that came in.
Jake

Post by Jake »

vespaedwardsville.com has two chrome racks left. I just got one.
docutech

Post by docutech »

Jake wrote:vespaedwardsville.com has two chrome racks left. I just got one.
BOLOGNA, they have at least 100 in stock.

topic6803.html
cabingirl

Post by cabingirl »

The reason I found out they were in stock was that I placed a backorder for a chrome rack on the 28th and then had to call to make an adjustment to another item in my order. When I called on the 29th, I found out that the rack was shipping too. I received it and the rest of my order on the 31st. I hope that everyone else who had a backorder in before me on the 28th was taken care of.
stonehouse

Really?!

Post by stonehouse »

I have had a chrome rack on backorder since JUNE 23rd… what the hell is going on with Scooterworks? Are people who ordered AFTER June 23rd already getting them? I know they are slammed right now, but if they aren't filling backorders in the order they were received then that's pretty lame.
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Try Hartford Vespa.
They generally have a good stock of Buddy accessories.
Jake

Post by Jake »

docutech wrote:
Jake wrote:vespaedwardsville.com has two chrome racks left. I just got one.
BOLOGNA, they have at least 100 in stock.

topic6803.html
Oh. All I know is what the chick on the phone told me.
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

It's official, Scooterworks has MPD. In sales, they are discombobulated, have hidden inventory that they dole out arbitrarily (which I know from at least one occasion), and have trouble getting back to people or keeping the website-listed inventory up to date. In service, they are an outstanding bunch, who are skilled, attentive, and do what they can to be fair and give good service.

I just had my 500 mile service on Saturday. After I told the guys that I already changed the oil and filter and the gear oil, they said they'd charge the hour of labor only (the formal "500 mile service" is over $100; the hour of labor is $80-something) to do the remainder of the check-up. I also mentioned I was on backorder for a front rack, and was hoping it would be in so they could install it for me. They checked inventory, found one, checked whether it was already committed to someone (it wasn't), and then attached it for me included in the rate. One of them even came out from his lunch break to check that everything was good to go before I took off.
Chi-town Scoot

Post by Chi-town Scoot »

I wonder if they keep some racks for walk in customers only because I came in their last week and picked one up no questions asked. I tried to make an appointment for my 500 mile service and the service guy told me that closest appointment is not till September 6th. I can't believe there is over a one month wait just to get some service done. I guess it is a by product of scooter mania. The only thing I'm worried about is I have already 525 miles on my scooter and now have to limit how much I drive it. Anyone else run into a similar problem.
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

Chi-town Scoot wrote:I wonder if they keep some racks for walk in customers only because I came in their last week and picked one up no questions asked. I tried to make an appointment for my 500 mile service and the service guy told me that closest appointment is not till September 6th. I can't believe there is over a one month wait just to get some service done. I guess it is a by product of scooter mania. The only thing I'm worried about is I have already 525 miles on my scooter and now have to limit how much I drive it. Anyone else run into a similar problem.
Yup, right here. I bought the Buddy on July 3 with 585 miles and no initial service. I called Scooterworks July 5 and got an appointment for this past weekend - Aug. 2. (!!) I was bummed about having to wait for the service and limit the scooting -- so I just went ahead and changed the gear oil, motor oil, and filter on my own. It takes some learning and some investment in tools/equipment (if you don't already have a torque wrench and a measuring syringe or measuring funnel), but I'm glad I did those changes on my own. There are tutorials here and it's not rocket science in any case (though it can be messy). Plus, it felt good to know how to do it on my own, I feel like I know the Buddy a little bit better.
broke

Post by broke »

Scooterworks has rear chrome racks again. I placed an order today and received an email UPS tracking number today too... so no back-order nonsense.

(of course they are out of hard top-cases... still waiting to find those again.)

And I am buying from Scooterworks because VespaPortland marked up the front rack that I bought from $69 to $100! I didn't know better at the time, but that is a serious mark-up.

BTW, I'll search the forums to find this, but if anyone knows if Scooterwork's "TANGERINE" Genuine top-case is really Genuine's "Buddy Orange"? I don't want the case to clash with my snazzy orange bike :-)
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

broke wrote:
BTW, I'll search the forums to find this, but if anyone knows if Scooterwork's "TANGERINE" Genuine top-case is really Genuine's "Buddy Orange"? I don't want the case to clash with my snazzy orange bike :-)
There are two different oranges, and I've never gotten them straight. One (mine) is the older model (2006, maybe 2007) that was paired with a brown seat and grips. The other is the newer model.

Compare the orange Buddys at www.genuinescooters.com (current model) with these orange Buddys (and the one in my avatar):

http://www.justgottascoot.com/buddy.htm#Buddy%20Review
eldoroddo

Post by eldoroddo »

I put a deposit on the wife's Buddy at the end of June. I also ordered a front basket, windscreen, rear rack, topcase, crash guards, an oil filter, and a cover. If that stuff's not there when/if I pick up the scoot, there is going to be an apocalypse! :twisted:
kraskaea

Post by kraskaea »

I got my rear rack! Or, ordered it, really. Now I can get a top case! Any suggestions? I've heard the one specifically for the Buddy leaks..
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

kraskaea wrote:I got my rear rack! Or, ordered it, really. Now I can get a top case! Any suggestions? I've heard the one specifically for the Buddy leaks..
I got a Shad 33L from cbxmanmotorcycles.com. It works great -- only thing was I had to buy longer bolts, the bolts it came with weren't long enough. Like an extra $1.50 at a hardware store.

See here: topic6684.html

Givi is kind of the standard bearer for third party cases. I have a 52L Givi on my motorcycle, love it. Shad is quality too from what I hear (and my own experience), and a little cheaper than Givi.