NSR: Any musicians on MB?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

naptime

Post by naptime »

i would not by any stretch of the imagination, refer to myself as a "musician"

but, i have been playing violin for two years, along with my daughter.

she started playing in 6th grade, and seemed serious about it. so i put her in private lessons (by here choice, i'm not one of those soccer mom kinda dads) and then i decided to take lessons with her.

gives us something to do together besides watch tv, and that way i would be able to help her with practice and what not.

i own an 1898 Reinhold Schmidt that i got for a steal last year, and my bow is circa 1920 Bausch.

i dont really intend to ever do anything more than casual playing among friends or for the family. no dreams of joining the toledo symphony.

the violin, was more of an investment for Asia (my daughter) for when she gets older.

she's 12 now, and has been in the school orchestra for 2 years. She was auditioning for the Toledo Junior Youth Orchestra this past summer, and the day before the audition, she bailed.

she had herself so psyched up that she was goign to mess up and get denied, that it was a sure fire bet she WOULD, simply because she believed it. so she asked if she could bail and wait another year. and, since i'm not one of those hardcore soccer dads, i told her that it was HER choice, and i stand behind whatever choice SHE makes.

so, we went for ice cream isntead :)

anyway, we are trying to get her into the toledo school for the arts next year. so she'll be the real musician in the family. (and she is already dying to turn 15.5 so she can get her scooter license lol)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

butero wrote:By the way, the only Radiohead song I can play is Creep. Sorry. But that one part, you know the part, is pretty fun.
Yeah it is. Even on air guitar!
BM

Post by BM »

Yeah, the prevalence of bass players is weird. I used to play the upright bass too but I was really, really not good at it even though I played for about 8 years, and then my cats knocked it over one day and that was the end of that. I stick to piano now, which I can play just fine and will soon have my 30 year anniversary with!

Accordion and bagpipes are cool instruments, though - I'd like us all to get together and play something for lots of basses, accordion, and bagpipes. That would sound very interesting.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

BM wrote: I'd like us all to get together and play something for lots of basses
Big Bottoms by Spinal Tap?
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

goodbluegrass wrote:whats the gig with so many upright bass players on this list???
who woulda thunk it!
I have played professionally for the last 5 years...
Nice! A brother of the "Bull Fiddle". I dig Bluegrass. Do you have any music on line I could check out?

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
iinigma7

Post by iinigma7 »

Tysonviolin wrote:Musician here... myspace.com/tropoganda
I play Violin Guitar Keys and I write a tune now and then. Check out my band on Myspace...
oh and BTW, I take a violin a guitar and my pedalboard on my buddy at once. I love it!
Killler sound! I dig it.

Music for me is as essential as food. I play the Viola (classically trained) and Mandolin (self-taught). I play a range of different styles... bluegrass, jazz, folk rock, celtic, classical, sacred, klezmer, blues... whatever. I play in a little band called WoodNigh that consists of me on Viola/Mando, my brother on Cello, and a buddy of mine on Guitar.

Check out our myspace and listen to the track "Weary Travelers". It's probably my favorite song we do.
http://www.myspace.com/woodnigh
"...faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!"
jradanov

Bootysafe?

Post by jradanov »

Uh, I know who Chayanne is. Nothing to be ashamed about, jmazzster, it must have paid the bills for sure.

I'm not a musician but I played one on tv? I'm really a failed blues harp player; now I just write about musicians.

Hey--is it ok to say "booty" again?? Because man oh man, I'm ready for bad language on MB again.
ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

I'll bite...

I'm a drummer, until lately it was a ton of jazz and funk. Now I'm involved with Glenn Bell www.glennbellrocks.com.

With the jazz band I got to play some fun venues for weddings and corporate events.

I'm on all but 2 of the clips at:
http://www.jasonparkerquartet.com/music.html

I'm on the "Holding Up The Sky" album:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/3dbdown2

At Key Arena, Halftime at a Seattle Supersonics game:

Seattle Waterfront:

recording at Studio Litho:

recording at Rainstorm studio:

At Seattle's Experience Music Project:

With the improvised funk band, somewhere in Seattle:

~SITR
treblecrush

Post by treblecrush »

jmazza wrote:
BM wrote: I'd like us all to get together and play something for lots of basses
Big Bottoms by Spinal Tap?
two mardi gras ago, i was called and asked if i wanted to do an all bass player (i think there were going to be twenty of us or so) version of big bottoms WITH HARRY SHEARER on lundi gras before my other gig that day...................................and for some reason when the day came, it never happened.....sob.........
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I'm a drummer with only a practice pad and some sticks to my name. I took lessons and everything, sigh. I think to myself I'll buy a kit when I move back West, so perhaps I actually will.

I used to play guitar, but I was never very good. I still actually own my guitar, though. O, and it's pink. Ha!
ModBud #442
gng

Musician?

Post by gng »

Glad you asked! :D

I am a non-professional musician writing and recording as GNG. You can hear my songs at www.soundclick.com/gng

It's all very Beach Boy sounding - top hits are Cruisin' Highway 101, Summer's Calling, and my newest hit Sting-Ray Bike. Would love you guys to take a listen. My wife bought me an Orange Buddy after I told her I wrote Sting Ray about the Schwinn Orange Krate bike I never got as a kid.

Some of my songs are collaborations with other musicians I have met on the internet. I write the songs, they import them into their studios, they sing or play a part and send me back their file, I put them in the mix and then we start over again. Summer's Calling was a big song for us and went #1 on Soundclick and features 4 guys playing as a band, though we have never met.

BTW, OT, but I met Brian Wilson last night (of Beach Boy fame) at a private show. Pretty cool!

Gary
jhorac1

Post by jhorac1 »

I'm a composer, conductor, and media artist. Primarily focus on contemporary classical "art" music, if anyone knows what that is. I'm primarily a pianist, but I write for everything, including large orchestra.

Other than scribbling notes on a page I do a lot of recording and composing in my home studio. Rock, experimental, electronic. I like it all.
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

I play a little guitar. Actually I get a lot of crap from people when I ride my buddy to lessons with my guitar on my back. I guess I look like im trying too hard too be cool or something. Whats the largets musical instument anyone has carried on their scoot?
Scoot first, ask questions later.
Shane Wilson

Post by Shane Wilson »

I'm no musician, but I work with them every day.

Here's my office.
Attachments
Studio1.jpg
Studio1.jpg (186.33 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:I still actually own my guitar, though. O, and it's pink. Ha!
Okay, which one is it? :)
Image Image Image
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
iinigma7

Post by iinigma7 »

Shane Wilson wrote:I'm no musician, but I work with them every day.

Here's my office.
Awesome man... I'm rockin' the exact same Aeron chair where I work! You're the only other person I've ever seen that has the blue.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

iinigma, how much do you actually resemble your avatar? because your avatar looks like the twin avatar of a buddy of mine, and since your avatars look a lot alike, i wonder how much you really resemble one another in real life. hmmmmm....
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
rablack

Post by rablack »

djelliott wrote:
goodbluegrass wrote:whats the gig with so many upright bass players on this list???
who woulda thunk it!
I have played professionally for the last 5 years...
Nice! A brother of the "Bull Fiddle". I dig Bluegrass. Do you have any music on line I could check out?

Dustin

So that's me, Standup, djelliott, and goodbluegrass on double bass (standup, upright, doghouse, bull fiddle, bass fiddle, contrabass - take your pick). There must be some hitherto unknown affinity between scooters and double bass. Problem is we can't ride to our gigs, the instrument is bigger than the Buddy.
Scooterist, lawyer, double bassist www.traveler-music.com
Keys

Post by Keys »

ScootingInTheRain,

You need to caution your keyboardist that it's illegal to text while in rehearsal.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ericalm wrote:Okay, which one is it? :)
Ha! I'm one of those dorks who bought a cheap-o "starter" kit from eBay. I knew I was getting a box of junk, and I was right! But the price couldn't be beat, so *shrug* I'm happy.

PS: I dressed up as Slash for Halloween when I was a kid. Him & I are hair twins, and I loved me some 80s hair metal...back in the 80s. :D
ModBud #442
ScootingInTheRain

Keys wrote:ScootingInTheRain,

You need to caution your keyboardist that it's illegal to text while in rehearsal.

--Keys 8)
Yeah - didn't the state legislature just pass a law about that?

:) I didn't even notice until your post. He is just THAT GOOD!

~SITR
standup

Post by standup »

It's the modern age, the guitar player texts the drummer with the title of the next song. Or just texts "train shuffle".
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

standup wrote:It's the modern age, the guitar player texts the drummer with the title of the next song. Or just texts "train shuffle".
Wait ... drummers can read now?
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

jmazza wrote:
standup wrote:It's the modern age, the guitar player texts the drummer with the title of the next song. Or just texts "train shuffle".
Not really the drummers phone just displays simple pictures.

For instance for the train shuffle beat he gets a choo choo on his phone like this:

For a swing groove he gets:

And for a rock groove, you guessed it:

Isn't technology grand? With picture phones even drummers can text :P

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

djelliott wrote:
jmazza wrote:
Not really the drummers phone just displays simple pictures.

Isn't technology grand? With picture phones even drummers can text :P

Dustin
Wow... with this amazing technology even the less capable (drummers) can function as the rest of us. I'm so proud of the world!!

(is this where we bread the thread off into musician jokes?!?)
ScootingInTheRain

As a drummer, I'd start getting angry but unfortunately I can't read any of the posts.

:P

~SITR
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Well, I'll tell you a little secret. I do also play drums. :shhh:
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
PinkScoot

MusicianonBoard

Post by PinkScoot »

Yep! That's me. KeyboardAllstyles.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

No, I play the clarinet just for old times' sake.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
ay pablo

Post by ay pablo »

I've played many different musical instruments during my years. I am mostly a percussionist (I love the vibes and xylophone the most), but play piano, sax, accordion. Music is one of the most important things in my life (after family).
If driving a Hummer says "my penis is small",
.......then what does riding a scooter say?

I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.....
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I've always been a vocalist. I was a vocal performance major in college. Cut my teeth in church choirs and some gospel quartets. Sang backup with Barry Manilow once. Toured across Europe back in the late 70's.
I know, many folks don't consider singers to be musicians, but I hear a lot of people try to sing (usually the national anthem) who, clearly, should try an instrument other than their voice.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

well i wouldnt call myself a musicion but i have been banging an a roland e-500 sinth for years play by ear . goth to - 80s new wave but 2 months ago i thight it was time to get down to it so i picked up the guitar and big time ( ive spent way tomuch) i learning the electric guitar an ibanez rg seires and a little line-6 spider 3 15 amp and now just got a fender G-dec amp ..(way cool) but im just new learning the darn thing ITS HARD!! but im haveing a blast!!!
Keys

Re: MusicianonBoard

Post by Keys »

PinkScoot wrote:Yep! That's me. KeyboardAllstyles.
...I would LIKE to be that "all styles" keyboardist, but I'm so dyslexic that the notes just swim on a page of music, so I just naturally gravitated to the "improvisational" nature of jazz and the blues. Just shoot me the chord changes and I'll hang with you...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
ineedareed

Post by ineedareed »

I am a professional clarinetist. Played all since I was 10. I have played with lots of famous people, most recently, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, Marvin Hamlisch, Amy Grant, and that's just who I can think of at the moment.... Oh yeah, Art Garfunkle...he was ...interesting...
PinkScoot

MusicianonBoard

Post by PinkScoot »

...I would LIKE to be that "all styles" keyboardist, but I'm so dyslexic that the notes just swim on a page of music, so I just naturally gravitated to the "improvisational" nature of jazz and the blues. Just shoot me the chord changes and I'll hang with you...

--Keys

OK mr. KEYS, i don't mean to sound like an egomaniac - just to say that although i consider myself to be a jazz pianist i don't discredit other styles of music and actually like all music including world grooves, and yes, i can read but not superflies.... but if you're interested in transporting some improv files to my husband he works in free-style collaborations check him out www.sosfreejazz.com
ScootingInTheRain

djelliott wrote:Well, I'll tell you a little secret. I do also play drums. :shhh:
Wait...if you play drums how did you read my response???

:shock:
zemacar

Post by zemacar »

...any lady musicians?...
Here.
Started out playing flute and piano as a kid, but now I play fiddle and mandolin. Mostly bluegrass, way more fun than the classical stuff.
Cara Z
Look, honey, it matches the dishes.
zemacar

clarinet

Post by zemacar »

I am a professional clarinetist.
I admire that. Very hard instrument to play well, but sounds great then.
I tried one for a while. Somebody gave me one, which I then spent $300 getting into playing condition. Found that I could not really do it and sold it for about $200.
Love those free instruments. :D
zemacar

I don't take the instruments on scooter

Post by zemacar »

Once I had the bright idea to take my fiddle with me on the scooter, but once I had the case strapped on my back, found that my head was sort of splinted down more than I found comfortable. Won't even bother trying that with a guitar. Have to use the car when carrying instruments. Much better for them anyway, I guess.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i, however, am not a musician, but my lovely bf is!

he plays guitar and piano, a couple of years ago, he made me a song on his piano and it was lovely, my heart melted :oops:
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

ScootingInTheRain wrote:
djelliott wrote:Well, I'll tell you a little secret. I do also play drums. :shhh:
Wait...if you play drums how did you read my response???

:shock:
I didn't, my wife read it to me and typed this response while I was unsuccessfully trying to come up with a witty reply. :P
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
iinigma7

Post by iinigma7 »

madtolive wrote:iinigma, how much do you actually resemble your avatar? because your avatar looks like the twin avatar of a buddy of mine, and since your avatars look a lot alike, i wonder how much you really resemble one another in real life. hmmmmm....
I look exactly like my avatar.

I must know more about this friend of yours. I've always wondered if I have an evil twin out there, or if I AM the evil twin! Muahahahaha!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I must know more about this friend of yours. I've always wondered if I have an evil twin out there, or if I AM the evil twin! Muahahahaha!
Thats kinda funny. I look exactly like your avatar too, that is assuming theres a goatee hiding below the border there....
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

iinigma7 wrote:
madtolive wrote:iinigma, how much do you actually resemble your avatar? because your avatar looks like the twin avatar of a buddy of mine, and since your avatars look a lot alike, i wonder how much you really resemble one another in real life. hmmmmm....
You only have 2/3 of a face?!?!?! :shock:

Tell us how that happened... there's got to be a good story there!
ScootingInTheRain

jmazza wrote:
iinigma7 wrote:

Maybe it's a "Who's Crashed?" story...
scootersRhogs2

Re: NSR: Any musicians on MB?

Post by scootersRhogs2 »

madtolive wrote:(i would like a pat on the head for putting NSR in my title. see? i can be a good girl when i wanna be)

Pretty self explanatory, just wondering if any of you wonderful people also happen to be musicians. Just out of curiosity. I'm not a musician myself, yet, have just always found myself surrounded by them is all. So if you are, what do you play and how long have you played and what is your favorite song to play? And has anyone ever learned to play a Radiohead song that ISN'T "creep"? Thats a sorta random question, but I'm just curious. That's all.
yep lots!!
paranoid android, street spirit(fade out) prolly my favorites though, radiohead rocks asss
iinigma7

Post by iinigma7 »

jmazza wrote:
iinigma7 wrote:

The road was angry that day my friends.

I was humming along on my Buddy when all of a sudden out of nowhere a mailbox appears in front of me, almost as if it were put there intentionally for the sole purpose of taking me down!

I deftly maneuvered to avoid hitting the stationary postal sentry! I swerved left, then right, but I lost control of the scooter and ran my helmet-less head straight into the front of the open mailbox. I've never been the same since. You could say I'm half the man I used to be.

...true story.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

iinigma7 wrote:
jmazza wrote:
iinigma7 wrote: I look exactly like my avatar.

The road was angry that day my friends.

I was humming along on my Buddy when all of a sudden out of nowhere a mailbox appears in front of me, almost as if it were put there intentionally for the sole purpose of taking me down!

I deftly maneuvered to avoid hitting the stationary postal sentry! I swerved left, then right, but I lost control of the scooter and ran my helmet-less head straight into the front of the open mailbox. I've never been the same since. You could say I'm half the man I used to be.

...true story.
Awesome. Very well done, my friend. And glad you only lost 1/3-1/2 of your face.
stolley

Post by stolley »

I am a music teacher and composer in Spokane, Wa. I play trumpet and am learning the cello. Speaking of which, anyone have a thought about how to carry a cello on my scooter.
Dr. Rock

Post by Dr. Rock »

I have been playing professionally since 1983 and I am only 41. Drums paid for my college as well as all of my bills nowadays, sessions to touring the world. Most recently my band was featured in a photo essay in time magazine. I'm still pretty freaked out about it. Here it is if ya want to see it, I'm the guy on the right. http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0 ... 58,00.html
As for these pics, thats me at Bell Labs Studio with my prize possession, my 1964 3 ply Ludwig set. The other is me with my Uke, my fun drinking toy.
Attachments
Uke Fun!
Uke Fun!
uke1.jpg (100.63 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
Bell Labs '64 3 ply
Bell Labs '64 3 ply
bell_labs2.jpg (126.88 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
Twitter: @Drjuggernaught