Tranny oil leak

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EP_scoot

Tranny oil leak

Post by EP_scoot »

Hi guys,

I have a leak on the transmission. I think it is coming from the seam where the paper gasket is. The drain/fill plugs all look nice and tight. But the only think I can think of is that the drain plug, although it looks to be fine, is maybe stripped or the washer damaged somehow. I just can't see the the gasket all of a sudden going bad. The dealer did the 500bdu 1st service and now it is up to 1400 bdu's, so if it was an overfill I think I should have felt that a few hundred bdu's earlier.

I am heading to the dealer after lunch but I am thinking that if it starts to bog down I would need to add some oil. I am at work now and it is pouring cats and dogs so I don't want to go out there to look what type of oil I need to get just in case.

Do any of you have the manual handy or know it of the top of your head?

I will have to take it easy riding in the rain with the added oil that coats the left side of the tyre as it leaks. Nothing but fun !

Thanks !
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
zuman

Gear oil

Post by zuman »

It's SAE 85-140. It takes 110 cc when absolutely, totally empty.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Pretty sure it's 85W140.

In terms of the gasket, are you refering to the one behind the CVT cover (the one with about 8 or so bolts/screws), or the one that's actually a part of the gear case?

You could be getting some overfill dribble from the weep hole in the tranny, but given what you said about the number of BDUs you've accumulated since your last service, that's sounds pretty remote.

It could also be that there's a leak in one of the seals of the gear case itself. If it's on the tire side, it's probably splattering in the wind, coating the tire, and dribbling down to the bottom of the CVT and gear case. If it's on the clutch side, then it may actually be leaking into the CVT area and weeping out through the bottom of the gasket.

In any event, you're wise to get it attended to ASAP. I rode for a couple of weeks with an overfill dribble that coated my tire and contributed to a spill.

Best of luck,

Charlie
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Thank you guys.

So I took the scoot to the dealer, we took the tranny cover away and there was no oil inside the variator area.
Removed the oil and the drain bolt was fine.
Then took off the rear brake, pipe and wheel and took the gear assembly apart. It looked fine so the thought was that maybe the gasket was bad. No new gasket in stock so we kept the old one, which looked fine, and added some gasket compund and put it all back together.

150cc's came out of the gear case. The sticker said to have 110. My guess is that in this heat, that large amount of oil is expanding and seeping out.

110cc's went back in and we will see. I cleaned the tire and checked a couple times on the way home and then when I got home and there was no oil on it. I have been out of town since the change so other than the ride home I have had no change to ride and I am riding the cage today. It did seem slower on the way home, though.
We'll see next week as I am leaving town again tomorrow night. I am guessing you want to be real close to the 110cc when you change fluids or, like with the Buddys, seapage might occur ?
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Again.. I still can't believe they didn't either put a dipstick or put bottom of the fill hole at the recommended oil level.

But if this is the only thing to complain about, we're still in pretty good shape.
spinbud

tranny leak

Post by spinbud »

If it's anything like my Buddy 125, I believe it is the weep hole on the gear box just forward of the gear box assembly screw just above and forward of the gear box drain plug. Look again and carefully and you'll see it. My Buddy spits, without gearbox overfill, just a tad after a hard or hot run. Then the rear disc brake dust collects on the minute gear box spit-residue on the wheel rim and fender and makes it look like more than it is. Tip, use a wire or 1/8" metal rod to insert into the cold gearbox fill-plug hole, )first when you know the gear box fluid is correct) and then to check level periodically if concerned. My mechanic(which I've not needed) at Vespa Atlanta told me this trick. I too had a leak after an overfill and was quite concerned, it spit out excess over time(thank goodness I didn't blow a seal or gasket) and then now only spits, after gear oil expansion, when that oil gets really hot. This is all just my theory, I'm no mechanic, but I am a good researcher, anal about maintenance and have downloaded several manuals in an effort to maintain and understand my scooter with 1000 miles on it.