How was your commute today?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mybuddy

How was your commute today?

Post by mybuddy »

Ok, based a few responses from the ride to work thread, I started this thread so that we can all post our daily scooter commute adventures.

I'll start!

Todays ride to work was chilly with temps in the low 30's. I had a few funny looks from other drivers wondering what the hell I was doing, I mostly just waved to them with that goofy smile of mine. Probaly sealed the fact to them that I am a little unstable :lol:

Ride was un-eventful, low traffic, no problems. Good ride in.

Ride home should be just as good with sunny clear skies and temps in the low 50's. Sweeet.

Matt
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

No commute today, since I've got the day off! :P
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Great! 32 degrees. Wore only thin cargo pants w/nylon pants over it; T-shirt, sweatshirt and windbreaker; gloves.
Saw another scooter and a motorcycle on the way.

Monday it was about 23 degrees on the way to work so added longjohns and another long sleeved shirt to the above ensemble.
That temp might be my limit tho because my glasses were getting pretty steamed up in the fullface helmet.
I was comfortable tho!
Micah_Prophet

Post by Micah_Prophet »

No ride today, but caging it to Boulder to see about picking up a scoot!
Keys

Post by Keys »

34 degrees. Dark out. FABULOUS ride!! Of course, I consider any ride where I don't have to push it fabulous...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Mid-30's and uneventful. Saw NO one else on two wheels.
Looking forward to riding home in the 50's.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
rajron

Post by rajron »

Too cold for me today 25° F at commute hour – its against my religion to ride in that cold – it will warm up, right?
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

I've been really sad :( because I haven't been able to ride my buddy for three whole weeks. It has been raining so bad here with hail, flooding and high winds... so the buddy has been hiding under its cover.

I'm sure when I finally get the chance to ride it the battery will be dead. :(
It's Scooter-rific!!!
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

No commute today, school is out for the rest of the week. Woohoo! Yesterday, however, was quite a ride. I had intended to drive the Jeep to my work placement, since I had Thanksgiving Dinner shopping to do after I got off, but when I went out to the carport, and tried to start it up - nothing but clicks. :headache: Husband is out of town, neighbors already left for work, so back in the house I went and suited up for a scooter ride. 27 degrees :shock: ...LOTS of funny looks on my way to work, and even more when I got there and people saw my helmet. I thought about playing it off, like I really enjoy riding in the freezing cold, but since I work in a mental health facility, I didn't want to risk an involuntary committment. :goofy: So when I got home that afternoon, I called my landlord, and he came over and jumpstarted the Jeep for me. Shopping accomplished, and I still managed to vote in the runoff elections...

Jody
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Deleted by user
Last edited by BlueMark on Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

To work 15 minutes, 44 degrees and cloudy
To home 20 minutes, dark, 34 degrees, "feels like 30," raining!
:D

Fortunately, I saw early in the day that the rain was supposed to hit earlier than I had thought, so I went out and grabbed my rain gear, so I didn't have to put it on out in the rain. Not too bad, still need a better solution for the hands though.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Awesome! Slightly overcast, high in low 70s. Got two compliments on the scoot from strangers — always good. Not a lot of scoots out today. I saw a Ruckus, a Kymco and I finally saw a Genuine on the road (sort of) on the ride home. I spied a new Blur (no plates) parked at a bank on Ventura in Studio City.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Around 70 degrees when I rode in this afternoon in bright sunshine. Light traffic. At dinner time, it was nearly 74 degrees, and traffic was, again, light. Tonight, it was down to 59 degrees, dark as hell, and, again, light traffic. The only two wheelers I saw were police.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
Keys

Post by Keys »

No commute today, being as how it is Thanksgiving, but I AM riding the Urban Assault Vehicle (with newly applied SuperTrapp) about 90 miles (one way) to a family reunion in Yarnell, AZ (somewhere south of Prescott, if you're checking your atlas...). Nice partly cloudy day, temps right now in the upper 40's (should his the upper 60's today) and beautiful roads ahead of me. I'll let you know if I see any other scoots today. I always see motorcycles, but very rarely scooters....

--Keys 8)
weebl

Post by weebl »

Yesterday was rainy and FREEZING. My commute involved my Jetta :P
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Keys wrote:No commute today, being as how it is Thanksgiving, but I AM riding the Urban Assault Vehicle (with newly applied SuperTrapp)
Did you install a SuperTrapp on the Buddy???

If so, details please!
Keys

Post by Keys »

BEAUTIFUL RIDE!! Fabulous roads; cool, yet not COLD temps. I saw probably 50 motorcycles but only one other scooter. It was in Prescott and I think it was a Tank (Chinese).

Yes on the Supertrapp. Easy install...about an hour last night. I don't think I gained anything on the top end, but my dyno (in the seat of my pants) tells me mid-range got a good punch. I did a plug check and it is a beautiful brown. A re-jet isn't required (at least at this altitude...3200 ft.). Fabulous sound!! PM me for more info.

--Keys 8)
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

Cool ride in this morning. Hardly any traffic at all being the day after Thanksgiving everyone took off I suppose. I am only here for a few hours then I am leaving.

Ride home should be great with sunny skys and temps in the high 50's.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

sunny and 60 as i rode in at 2:30 pm :P
Elm Creek Smith

The ride in around 6:45-7:15 was sweet, low 50's, very low traffic. The ride home 3:15-3:45 was even better at 74 degrees with almost no traffic. Got home to another treat: my wife and grandson picked up our new sweetie, a year/year and a half old mostly Jack Russell terrier my daughter named Piper. She was rescued by a friend's friend and given a clean bill of health by the vet. No one came forward to claim her (Un-freaking-believable!), so we took her.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
paige

Post by paige »

Not a commute, but did make the rounds. Helmet shopping, happy hour/ meet & greet with people from the scooter club, then dinner at a great hip restaurant in the city. Sunny, clear and cool, getting cold at night , but brilliant moonlight. 50 degrees, down to about 43.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I am digging this warm weather... the commute today was great at about 43F and the ride home will likely be in the low 60's. Beautiful sunrise just as I was coming down the hill into the city. 8)

Too bad it won't last. Snow scheduled by the atmospheric prognosticators for Thursday.

I'll keep commuting on the Buddy whenever road conditions permit.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Yep, yep, yep. Loving the warm spell. 44 and Sunny, but they were doing something to a really busy road that involved one closed lane and the other generally covered in water, mud, and pooling oil. Still a nice start to the day! It'll be up to mid-fifties on my way from work to class and probably back in the 40s by the time I'm heading home.
Micah_Prophet

Post by Micah_Prophet »

A little colder in Colorado, 19 and a little foggy - my first trip to work on the scoot, ice on the inside of the helmet, and very cold fingers, and very warm heart - what fun! Ride home should be at least in the 30's if not 40's.
Elm Creek Smith

Bummer commute this morning. I had too much stuff to take in to the office to ride the Budd. Loaded everything in the PT Cruiser and did the highway blasting thing. Worse, the weather was perfect for riding if a little cloudy. Tomorrow I'm scootin', but Wednesday is when the bottom falls out. The high is supposed to be 33 with a low of 19. I'll probably be Cruisin' the rest of the week after the cold front rolls through.
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
Elm Creek Smith

Lightning, thunder, and periods of heavy rain today. I'm Cruising instead of scooting today. Crap. :(

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
Micah_Prophet

Post by Micah_Prophet »

Sunny and low 30's this morning, really pretty ride - taking it home for lunch and caging it back, supposed to snow and teens the rest of the week, yuk!

addition - started to ride back to work after lunch, 3 snoflakes in 1/2 mile and I flipped around and headed for home... no snow on the ground yet, but a few flakes floating around here if Fort Collins
Last edited by Micah_Prophet on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

Low 40's on the way in today. Traffic was uneventfull. No problems with drivers, smooth ride in.

Ride home should be a beaut with temps in the mid 60's! Great weather for November.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Just like yesterday, only I hit all the green lights today on the way in. :)

I do have one spot on the ride that makes me a little nervous, it's at the end of a long downhill with an almost 90 degree left hand curve and a stop light at the other side. Every day, for reasons unknown to me, it's wet there on the curve, still sloped, and looks like an oil slick. I slow down for it and no drama, but my fear is a car on my tail that doesn't want to slow down as much as I do.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Fueldrum

huhwha?

Post by Fueldrum »

No commute for me, ever.

(I live across the alley from my work)

(Yes, it rocks)
--Nick
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It's finally cooled down here in SoCal and though I haven't been scooting or communting (damn flu), I'm eager to pull out my cold weather gear. Still need some lined gloves; maybe this weekend...
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Elm Creek Smith

Since I didn't commute by scooter this morning and the weather was still nice and mild when I got home, I went for a twilight ride. I ran an errand for my wife on the Budd and kept right on going for almost an hour. Sweet. :D

Odds are good for thunderstorms tomorrow with the cold front coming through and temps dropping from a forecast high of 68 degrees down to 33 degrees by 9 pm. There's a winter storm watch for tomorrow night and Thursday. :(

I'm probably done scootering for at least three or four days. :cry:

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
Coach B

Post by Coach B »

The ride into work today was great. 28 degrees, but I was bundled up. Coming home it started to snow. If I didn't have to stop for gas I would have made it before the sky opened up and dumped a load of snow all over. The roads seemed to be slick, my new S83s felt squirrley; and I could see myself testing my new Tour Master jacket on the tarmac. Luckily I made it home OK. So, tomorrow do I take the Jeep or do I scoot?
The Coach Scoots
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

My morning commute was the same as Coach B's. I decided to leave work a little early to beat the snow and rode home in a few light flurries.

I felt like I really had to ride today. We just got back from a week in Florida. The weather there was great but, of course, I had no two wheelers handy. Ironically, the weather here in Denver was great that week too. Only when we returned did it turn bad.

So, knowing I probably wouldn't be able to ride for at least a few days (and the fact that both of my babies were sitting idle a whole week), I took the chance today and had a fun ride. Then, when I got home, I took out my GT for about 25 minutes and had a blast in the flurries. Almost froze, but still fun.

By the way, I saw some downright strange riding behavior in Florida. I saw scooters using the bicycle lanes and even saw one moron riding on the sidewalk! Then, on I-595 I was what might have been a Blur pulled over by the police. Speeding? Of course, there were the expected Harley and chopper riders in shorts with no helmets, but also plenty of fully geared riders. The scooter behavior was just strange but driving in South Florida can be a mind-altering experience.

Tomorrow it'll be the bus for me. :(
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
casey

Post by casey »

Did my first commute today. 70 degrees in Houston. I cut through downtown to avoid the highways and there was nearly no one on the road. Perfect.
Every effort for progress, for enlightenment, for science, for religious, political, and economic liberty, emanates from the minority, and not from the mass. - Emma Goldman
rajron

Post by rajron »

Snow this morning! - using 2 extra wheels.
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

No commute today, rain here in the morning and temps dropping all day. Snow is predicted for the afternoon, but they are not calling for alot, probaly an inch or less.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

mybuddy,

You forgot to mention the tornado warning until 10:00AM

I don't think I ever want to ride in a tornado.

I've been ripped off the last two days by the overly doom-happy weather reporters. I could easily have ridden both Wed and Thur without a problem, but I took the bus because the forecast was for rain and t-storms. It didn't start raining until I was walking home from the bus stop last night, which means I would have gotten home well ahead of the rain on the scooter.

Today is different. Already high winds and dropping temps all day, radar looks scary. I'll take the dreaded bus.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
casey

Post by casey »

The temperature yesterday dropped 40 degrees in 2 hours. Bus. Dammit.
Every effort for progress, for enlightenment, for science, for religious, political, and economic liberty, emanates from the minority, and not from the mass. - Emma Goldman
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

It was 36 and sunny this morning. A bit chilly, but manageable for my short (5mi) commute. The ride home should be quite comfortable 8)

I really mixed things up this morning, however, by riding the Bajaj to work! I just got it put back together last night, and this is the first time I've ridden it to work. While the Buddy has many features making it the better scooter, one area that the Bajaj excels is wind protection- the large legshield really kept my lower body a lot warmer!

The Bajaj still needs a bit of fine tuning, but it seems to be working better now- or at least not worse :wink:
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

Yeah forgetting about a tornado warning could be bad :D

lobsterman wrote: I've been ripped off the last two days by the overly doom-happy weather reporters. I could easily have ridden both Wed and Thur without a problem, but I took the bus because the forecast was for rain and t-storms. It didn't start raining until I was walking home from the bus stop last night, which means I would have gotten home well ahead of the rain on the scooter.
I agree with your assement. I missed out on two days of commuting because of the weathermen. Both days I could have road in and made it home before the rain.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Twelve degrees on my way to work. Clear. With no windshield and a 1/2 helmet, I noticed the serious lack of degrees! Then home at about noon (I started at two a.m.) and the temp was about 38 degrees with about a 38 knot wind! Of course no other scooters but there WERE a couple of motorcycles.

--Keys 8)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Didn't exactly commute because I've been home sick. But the weather was so damn nice that I took the scoot out to pick up my prescriptions and go to the store. I want to take advantage of this weather as long as I can.

How nice? Low/mid 70s with totally clear, pollution-free skies.

The mornings have been in the 40s and 50s though, meaning I ride with a lot of layers.
Micah_Prophet

Post by Micah_Prophet »

I have been able to ride in the last two days to work - there is still a lot of snow on the ground and in the bike lanes but the main road is clear - this has served to get me out of the bike lane in the main flow of traffic - which has been a good thing, I have to keep reminding myself that the 50 really can keep up in 30 and 40mph traffic...

Post by lobsterman »

This mornings commute was... wierd.

Temps here in the 20's.

Felt like I had no traction today, like maybe the roads were slick. I felt the buddy skidding in the turns a little when I leaned, both front and back, and the steering just felt all wrong. I went much slower in the turns than I normally do as a result.

I didn't like it. Nossir, not one bit.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Well, my last four rides have all been sub-freezing but sunny (except the ride home last night, which was at 10-11 p.m. and 23 degrees). Love it. Of course by the time I got home last night I was a bit chilled. I had to keep opening my visor to clear the fog. I think I'd clogged the helmet venting with my scarf.

I saw another scooter on my lunch break yesterday, who refused to wave or nod. I get so disappointed when that happens. I was really excited to see another scooter out. But a sport bike this morning waved at me, so that made me feel better.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

lobsterman wrote:This mornings commute was... wierd.

Temps here in the 20's.

Felt like I had no traction today, like maybe the roads were slick.
Could be your tires. Cold rubber tires often do not generate large amounts of traction (they have no flex and just don't grip well). Maybe you need some tire warmers? :wink:
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

vitaminC wrote:
lobsterman wrote:This mornings commute was... wierd.

Temps here in the 20's.

Felt like I had no traction today, like maybe the roads were slick.
Could be your tires. Cold rubber tires often do not generate large amounts of traction (they have no flex and just don't grip well). Maybe you need some tire warmers? :wink:
I did think of that (cold tires). I keep the scooter in the garage, but it was darn cold the last couple of days, so maybe that's it. I'll see how it goes on the way home when it's a little warmer.

If that's how it's going to be when it's this cold, I will have to consider riding the bus. Ugh.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
xkennx

Post by xkennx »

lower 60's but sunny and no wind. I did run out of gas though - I do this alot damn scooter and its 1.5 gallon tank and only getting 30mpg
06 Gen Scooters Buddy 125 (sold)
05 Gen Scooters Stella w/sidecar (sold)
05 Vespa ET8
80 Vespa P200 w/ Polini 208
80 Vespa P200 w/ Malossi 210
74 Vespa Sprint 125
74 Vespa Primaveria 125 (broke)
56 Labretta LD 125 (sold)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Another gorgeous but cool day of riding. 50 degrees with totally clear skies. Spotted a white Vespa ET4 that I pass almost daily now, grey Vino (or is it a Venice?), a blue TN'G, and a black and white Vespa P-something. Best of all, really surprised a guy on a small Honda MC by totally leaving him in my dust at a light. It's going to get up to the mid-70s this afternoon so I'm already planning a little work break ("Uh, I need to go get something at the drug store...") to get a little riding in while it's warm out.