[NBR] Work-safe: Is this logo concept offensive?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Is this logo concept offensive to you?

No.
75%
A little, but it wouldn't stop me from joining.
8%
Yes. It is offensive and it would keep me from joining.
16%

Total votes: 61

n00b4life

[NBR] Work-safe: Is this logo concept offensive?

Post by n00b4life »

So, I am working on a scooter meetup group, club, whatever.

In between worrying about being sued by wheelie-popping knuckleheads, I now have to worry about my logo concept being offensive.

The zip code here is 78666.

So, the group is 78666 Scoots.

I thought it would be fun to play on the Hell's Angels sort of image of motorcycle gangs and play up the 666 in 78666.

You see where this is going. I don't want this to turn into a religious discussion and I don't have any problem with anyone who might be offended. In fact, that is why I am asking. If a lot of people are offended, I'm thinking I'll have to work on another concept.

So, here is one submission that a designer sent me. Bear in mind that this is not the final design. It is just a decent representation of the concept. I want something clearly light-hearted, but playing up the unfortunate digits in our zip code.

Is it offensive?
Attachments
scoot2.png
scoot2.png (63.5 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
Rosie

Post by Rosie »

I love how the scoot looks with the tail and horns.

Do you live in a religious community? You might get people going nuts over the large "666" (though I think it looks pretty cool). In Utah, where I live, this would be a really big deal. News coverage, etc. But then again, that would be free press.
maribell

Post by maribell »

I think considering that San Marcos is a college town and its proximity to Austin....it probably wouldn't be a big deal. Besides, it's not like you picked out that zip code for yourself.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I love it!
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Awesome. As a former Presbyterian who converted Catholic and who goes to church every Sunday (well...unless it's good riding weather) I think the churchies can us a good poking now and then.
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

I like it.

If you are worried about being offensive you could make the difference between the 78 and the 666 a little more subtle.
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

It think it's neat! (Whoa, did I just write down "neat"?) I'm Catholic and I take no offense to it. Plus I believe it actually says something like "and its number was 6 hundred, 3 score, and 6" :P . Try writing that on your shield: 78 6hundred, 3score, and 6!
sotied

Post by sotied »

I'm not religious at all but VERY superstitious and I would NOT join because of the eerie creepy and supernatural connotation.

I like the image a lot though. It's just the numbers.

**I'm serious. Not being funny as I usually am. Go see http://www.thingstoworryabout.com and you'll see that I am serious.

Or in need of serious help.
iloveducks11

Post by iloveducks11 »

I also live in Utah and I want to that other Utahn to stop making comments like this. People in Utah would NOT freak out, there would be no news coverage. You are giving people the wrong idea of our incredible state. BTW Salt Lake City has one of the highest scooters per capita in the nation.
Rosie

Post by Rosie »

iloveducks11 wrote:I also live in Utah and I want to that other Utahn to stop making comments like this. People in Utah would NOT freak out, there would be no news coverage. You are giving people the wrong idea of our incredible state. BTW Salt Lake City has one of the highest scooters per capita in the nation.
iloveducks11, I apologize. I meant no offense. I lived in Provo for about 6 years; I had that community in mind, but they are by no means representative of the entire state. Yes, Utah is an incredible state - beautiful scenery, friendly and warm people, safe neighborhoods, and lots of scoots around! I saw a pink Buddy today. Maybe you? Do you ever drive on the western side of suburbia?
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I don't think that's the SLIGHTEST bit offensive, and really, if anyone gets offended by that, they shouldn't be out in public. :lol:
Huh? What just happened?
DennisD

Re: [NBR] Work-safe: Is this logo concept offensive?

Post by DennisD »

n00b4life wrote: I don't have any problem with anyone who might be offended.
That's good to hear. It will only stifle the creative juices. :mrgreen:

I thought I might be offended but realized that I hadn't had any chocolate since arriving home from work. That's probably all it is. A great big bag of potato chips would help. TGIF.
Last edited by DennisD on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

I am a devout Christian, but I don't find that it very offensive.
Heroism is being scared as hell and saddling up anyways - John Wayne
UXO

Re: [NBR] Work-safe: Is this logo concept offensive?

Post by UXO »

n00b4life wrote: Is it offensive?
Nowadays, just about anything you do can be taken offensive. I think what matters most is what is in your heart, what is the intent behind it. After you ask yourself that, all you can do is ride out the criticism and judgments that may or may not land on you.

Good luck on you journey.

UXO
purromaniac

Post by purromaniac »

I am a Christian and could not join any group that associates itself with the devil, but certainly would not object to your group since I believe you are doing it in fun, not with evil intent. The logo is not really offensive, but gives a bad impression.
n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

Thanks everyone for the sanity-check.

It looks like a few people will be bothered and I wish I could avoid that and please everyone, but I'm going to stick with this concept.

When I say I don't have a problem with people who might be offended, I mean, if you are offended, I understand. Not, if you are offended, I don't care. I care, but I offend people all the time and that is just part of life.

So, thanks to those who were offended and to those who weren't. I appreciate the feedback and hope you'll still scoot with me if I am ever in your area, or vice-versa.
sotied

Post by sotied »

n00b4life wrote:Thanks everyone for the sanity-check.

It looks like a few people will be bothered and I wish I could avoid that and please everyone, but I'm going to stick with this concept.

When I say I don't have a problem with people who might be offended, I mean, if you are offended, I understand. Not, if you are offended, I don't care. I care, but I offend people all the time and that is just part of life.

So, thanks to those who were offended and to those who weren't. I appreciate the feedback and hope you'll still scoot with me if I am ever in your area, or vice-versa.
You can adjust the numbers if you want. I voted NO, but only because I'm scared of lots of things.

I just wouldn't join because of superstition...OR I would join and not put a sticker on my scoot.

Or I would just go get a snack.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

sotied wrote:I just wouldn't join because of superstition...OR I would join and not put a sticker on my scoot.
No need to explain. We have a friend with a short-track stock car team. Their number is 99. We have a 99 on our car and our truck and on the scooters. When we got the 99s for the scooters, I got mine in blue and white, to match the blue and white flames I put on it.

I asked my wife if she wanted green, to match her scooter, and she said "Oh no. Not green. Ed says there is something unlucky about green and they have nothing green anywhere on their car. I don't want to put green 99s on the scooter and have them crash or something."

So, hers are pink.
StacyB

Post by StacyB »

I'm not offended at all by it, but it's not for me.

I should caveot this by stating that: I'm a girly-girl and like cutesy stuff rather than assumed fraternization with "The Beast". heeheehee...
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

StacyB wrote:I'm not offended at all by it, but it's not for me.

I should caveot this by stating that: I'm a girly-girl and like cutesy stuff rather than assumed fraternization with "The Beast". heeheehee...
That's what I was thinking. Very cutesy! Good image for big bad scooter boys. :rofl:
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

With scooter clubs having nameslie "Royal Bastards" "Monkey Knife fight" ",Hells Fairies", "Hooters on Scooters"," Kinky Pigs"," POSH AS F**K SCOOTER CLUB," "Smart Ass Scooter Sisters,"

Well....it actually seems kinda reserved.

(These are actual scooter club names. I do believe that the "Hooters on Scooters usually ride in pairs
:clap: )

I like it. Now go have fun!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

That's one sharp logo. I don't think you'll face any serious objections from anyone just so long as you try to keep the human sacrifices to a bare minimum.

If anyone gets in your face about it, just tell them that the name reflects the $6.66 it costs you fill the beast's belly at the pump.

Well done,
Charlie55
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I think the logo is clever and it's not offending me in any way...

However, I chose the last option cuz it WOULD keep me from joining the club.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

sotied wrote: Or I would just go get a snack.

You WOULD go get a snack... or 5... :roll:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Typographically offensive? Aesthetically? Or otherwise? :)

I have no problems with it. Then again, I used to go see these gals perform all the time.

Texas is a pretty Satanic place, man.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Limitlessnow

Post by Limitlessnow »

I think it looks great, most especially because it's a solid logo minus the color, many logos rely on color to make them less bland this gets the image across well and in an artful manner, top drawer.

As for it being offensive, PBBBBBT (that's the raspberry!) it should be the least of your concerns, if that's the image you want for your group go for it, most folks who would be bothered by it just have their panties in a twist.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I'm a devout Christian and certainly don't find it offensive. 666 gets a bad rap. The Bible tells us that it is "the number of man" i.e. humans. Therefor, it is nothing to be bothered by. Satan might be bothered by it, since you're equating him to men and I'm SURE that he feels vastly superior to us.
Have fun,
Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Our new scooter club is looking for a name and KrustyBURGER has been collecting suggestions. I suggested West Florida Sons of Satan, Marauding Murderers of Small Animals and Rare Sea Life Working in Congress With Witches and Warlocks, Incorporated. So far, no feedback. I guess that's a no. :shock:
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

Rosie wrote:
iloveducks11 wrote:I also live in Utah and I want to that other Utahn to stop making comments like this. People in Utah would NOT freak out, there would be no news coverage. You are giving people the wrong idea of our incredible state. BTW Salt Lake City has one of the highest scooters per capita in the nation.
iloveducks11, I apologize. I meant no offense. I lived in Provo for about 6 years; I had that community in mind, but they are by no means representative of the entire state.
Gee, thanks. I've lived in the Provo area for 30+ years and it doesn't bother me at all. In fact I think it's kind of cool and I suspect most people I know would agree. It's just numbers. Who cares? :roll:

I say go for it! :twisted:
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
standup

Post by standup »

no, it's not offensive.But I'm an east coast liberal agnostic, so that may not count for much.
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

I guess I look at it from a different side.

What will the logos be made from?

Its hard to get the flame effect from cutting the logos out but if they are printed it should come out just peachy.

I personally like the look of the black and white logo better then the color one. I think the effects are more subtle and less prone to people taking offense to it.

I also think that having the tail wrap behind the scooter would look better. It would give more emphasis on the scooter vs the devil parts.

If you are flaming the 666 what about a slight burn at the bottom for the scoot?

Have you also thought about a scoot with a devil girl/guy riding it?
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

n00b4life -

I really like your design. Very eye catching. Very nice!!

I do have one question for everyone though. We ride scooters, which aren't considered "tough". My question is why scooter riders want to play off the "Hell's Angel"/hardass image? Off the scooter people probably couldn't tell a scooter rider from a biker, so what is the appeal with colors that make people think we are tough?

Wouldn't that help contribute to cages getting annoyed with two wheeled vehicles? Just asking.

PasadenaSue
sotied

Post by sotied »

MikieTaps wrote:
sotied wrote: Or I would just go get a snack.

You WOULD go get a snack... or 5... :roll:
Have been off the boards all weekend because my Macbook is getting repaired and I actually had to play golf yesterday.

NO, I still don't have my scavenger hunt photos, but I do have access to the Internet again (different computer, Macbook will be ready tomorrow I hope). But enough about that, let's talk about snacks.

I have eaten today (in order of it's appearance in my mouth):

Five marshmallows
A pearl-sized dot of toothpaste
Glass of water
Mug of tea
Glass of water
Feta, tomato and spinach omelet
Hash browns
FOUR slices of toast, last piece with strawberry jam on it
Glass of water
Nachos
Nine marshmallows (my gf bought me marshmallows and I have a problem)
Ramekin of rice and shrimp
One Blue Moon beer
Three marshmallows
Iced tea
Eleven marshmallows

Hardly any of those things is a snack, except maybe the marshmallows. Have to go now and either slip into a diabetic coma or get more stuff to keep my weight up.
Jeff • #2163
iloveducks11

Post by iloveducks11 »

Rosie wrote:
iloveducks11, I apologize. I meant no offense. I lived in Provo for about 6 years; I had that community in mind, but they are by no means representative of the entire state. Yes, Utah is an incredible state - beautiful scenery, friendly and warm people, safe neighborhoods, and lots of scoots around! I saw a pink Buddy today. Maybe you? Do you ever drive on the western side of suburbia?
We live in the Sandy area, but we ride all around so its possible that it was us. My wife is the one that rides the pink Buddy, I ride a red Stella.
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

DennisD wrote:Our new scooter club is looking for a name and KrustyBURGER has been collecting suggestions. I suggested West Florida Sons of Satan, Marauding Murderers of Small Animals and Rare Sea Life Working in Congress With Witches and Warlocks, Incorporated. So far, no feedback. I guess that's a no. :shock:
PasadenaSue wrote:I do have one question for everyone though. We ride scooters, which aren't considered "tough". My question is why scooter riders want to play off the "Hell's Angel"/hardass image? Off the scooter people probably couldn't tell a scooter rider from a biker, so what is the appeal with colors that make people think we are tough?

Wouldn't that help contribute to cages getting annoyed with two wheeled vehicles? Just asking.
There's this new program coming out on FX Network called "Sons of Anarchy". I believe it's about a biker gang. Perhaps you could put a (less tough) spin on that, and name your scooter club "Sons of Malarkey" or "Sons of Mischief".
sunbunny

Post by sunbunny »

I would not join with that logo, but the other question is that you are limiting your club to one specific zip code. I don't know how many people ride scooters by you, but I would want a club that invites people from all over. Just a thought....
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

BeetleGoose wrote:
DennisD wrote:Our new scooter club is looking for a name and KrustyBURGER has been collecting suggestions. I suggested West Florida Sons of Satan, Marauding Murderers of Small Animals and Rare Sea Life Working in Congress With Witches and Warlocks, Incorporated. So far, no feedback. I guess that's a no. :shock:
PasadenaSue wrote:I do have one question for everyone though. We ride scooters, which aren't considered "tough". My question is why scooter riders want to play off the "Hell's Angel"/hardass image? Off the scooter people probably couldn't tell a scooter rider from a biker, so what is the appeal with colors that make people think we are tough?

There's this new program coming out on FX Network called "Sons of Anarchy". I believe it's about a biker gang. Perhaps you could put a (less tough) spin on that, and name your scooter club "Sons of Malarkey" or "Sons of Mischief".
I like that. Maybe even "Mommies' Disobedient Boys".

Speaking of Sons of Anarchy, just looking at the previews makes me want to keep the tv off more or just cancel cable again.
sotied

Post by sotied »

Any fat scooter riders wanna join my Big-Boned Buddy Buddies Club?
Jeff • #2163
n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

PasadenaSue wrote: I do have one question for everyone though. We ride scooters, which aren't considered "tough". My question is why scooter riders want to play off the "Hell's Angel"/hardass image? Off the scooter people probably couldn't tell a scooter rider from a biker, so what is the appeal with colors that make people think we are tough?
Actually, I thought it was more self-deprecation than anything.

It's a statement that we don't take ourselves too seriously. IMO, anyway.
n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

sunbunny wrote:I would not join with that logo, but the other question is that you are limiting your club to one specific zip code. I don't know how many people ride scooters by you, but I would want a club that invites people from all over. Just a thought....
People from all over are welcome to join and given that there are 50,000 residents and 30,000 college students here at any given time, the odds are good that there will be people from all over.

The zip code is just where we are and for people who choose to stay here after college, rather than move to Austin, or San Antonio, or anywhere else, it is who we are. Creating a connection to the city is probably the most important goal the club could have.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I am not a religous person, but I think the the numbers imply mayhem and suffering. That may not be your plan, but it could come across that way. As far as the logo, I think it is charming and devilish, but in a fun way.
Last edited by peabody99 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Get it over with and use this as your logo.
Attachments
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
monster scoot.jpg (90.83 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
Sushi513

Post by Sushi513 »

LOVE IT!

Words & Numbers are just that .. Words & Numbers.

It means nothing unless we willingly give it power. <WOW that's my deep thought for the year, I have a migraine now> :oops:
Better change the captain of your brain ship cuz DUDE he's drunk at the wheel!
~Dr Cox (Scrubs)

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/sushi513
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

Being raised as a born baptized and confirmed Catholic sort of person, I for one think its way cool and you should totally ignore anyone so insecure as to be offended by your logo, furthermore..........., just teasing, its so easy to set some folk off............ so i'll let it go at that... 8)
"Social graces, got any"