Scooter Rear-ends Semi

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Redd447

Scooter Rear-ends Semi

Post by Redd447 »

Let's be careful out there folks!

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=8773396
twoscoots

Post by twoscoots »

aaaaaaaand the scooter loses.
Boy, was that rider lucky.
I'm going to guess he wasn't moving very fast. I swear they need to ban semis from the roads - they're too hard to see!
docutech

Post by docutech »

HA!

Never, ever follow a semi too closely. There is no way you can anticipate a quick stop. :FYI:
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

docutech wrote:HA!

Never, ever follow a semi too closely. There is no way you can anticipate a quick stop. :FYI:
and if you absolutely have to follow one keep back and to the left so he can pick you up in his drivers side mirror. Never pass a semi to the right. On a scooter or in a car.

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
lemontootsie

Post by lemontootsie »

I thought scooter's aren't allowed on interstate highways - they aren't in AL anyway. Nothing under 250cc from what I've read.

Terrible story....
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

lemontootsie wrote:I thought scooter's aren't allowed on interstate highways - they aren't in AL anyway. Nothing under 250cc from what I've read.

Terrible story....
Depends on the state. For most, 150cc is the threshold.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

I have to wonder why he would be airlifted, but yet he was treated and released?
twoscoots

Post by twoscoots »

sbebenelli wrote:I have to wonder why he would be airlifted, but yet he was treated and released?
It's called "mechanism of injury." He experienced forces that could have really effed him up, and the paramedics and ER folk would assume that he had some sort of eff-up-age until they were able to scan/xray all the bits and pieces to prove otherwise.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

It was also interesting to witness the outpouring of sarcasm (i.e., "now do you think that saving gas was worth it?"). It's amazing that such a relatively small vehicle can generate so much irrational hatred. Every time I see stuff like this, it makes me wish that the price of gas at the pump was somehow automatically indexed to the type of vehicle via a scan of the VIN. Roll up on a scooter, regular's $1.50 a gallon. Pull up in Hummer, and it's $35.00 plus one of your kidneys.

-Charlie55
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

charlie55 wrote:It was also interesting to witness the outpouring of sarcasm (i.e., "now do you think that saving gas was worth it?"). It's amazing that such a relatively small vehicle can generate so much irrational hatred. Every time I see stuff like this, it makes me wish that the price of gas at the pump was somehow automatically indexed to the type of vehicle via a scan of the VIN. Roll up on a scooter, regular's $1.50 a gallon. Pull up in Hummer, and it's $35.00 plus one of your kidneys.
Unfortunately, along with the scooter rush, there's been an increased cultural backlash from people like these who just seem not to get it. The ridiculous and irrational part is that they wouldn't be making comments like that if it was reported that someone on a motorcycle hit a semi.

This very much ties into how scooters are perceived and treated on the road. Many of the people making these sorts of comments drive cars.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

I imagine in to some drivers the idea of giving up their comfortable Automobile for cheap efficient means of travel is a bad omen. What next, horse, donkey . . . it all paints a horrible future for the USA to them.

Of course to most of us its exciting to see more two-wheel riders on the road. My beltparkway rides back to long island make me wish for a price/gall number that would virtually eliminate all 4 wheels, except for ambulances and police of course.

kaz
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Kazoo:

You ride the Belt? Wow, my hat's off to you. Those 50 foot accel/decel lanes made me vow to stay off it until they put in catapults and arresting gear.

Now, tell me you've ridden the BQE and I'll do a full-scale bow and throw in a couple of huzzahs.

Charlie55
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Hey Charles;

Last year on my RE. I took several trips from NJ to Western Suffolk - yes it can be terrorizing, especially on that hunk of steel - it barely had enough power to beat out the LOL (little old ladies).

I never tried the bbq-e on two wheels, that would definitely point to one wild ride too. In fact I don't ride it much with 4 wheels either. Although from my experience with it its so bogged down that I don't think it would be as hair raising a ride as it is competing with the buzz bombers who carry no insurance and no respect for others on the belt. You know, they proceed to use every piece of empty space (shoulder included) doing 75 mph while the rest is at 60.

charlie55 wrote:Kazoo:

You ride the Belt? Wow, my hat's off to you. Those 50 foot accel/decel lanes made me vow to stay off it until they put in catapults and arresting gear.

Now, tell me you've ridden the BQE and I'll do a full-scale bow and throw in a couple of huzzahs.

Charlie55
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

ericalm wrote:
lemontootsie wrote:I thought scooter's aren't allowed on interstate highways - they aren't in AL anyway. Nothing under 250cc from what I've read.

Terrible story....
Depends on the state. For most, 150cc is the threshold.
Best I can find is Alabama Motorcycle handbook says 150 or 5hp is the cutoff.
Redd447

Post by Redd447 »

charlie55 wrote:Roll up on a scooter, regular's $1.50 a gallon. Pull up in Hummer, and it's $35.00 plus one of your kidneys.

-Charlie55
Fabulous idea!! Now, if we can just get our oil barons...er...I mean elected officials on board... :(
kookaburra02

Post by kookaburra02 »

I heard on the news today that here in Austin a girl was killed on a scooter yesterday when she hit a curb. Nothing else, just the curb. She wasn't wearing a helmet of course.
Xena

Post by Xena »

kookaburra02 wrote:I heard on the news today that here in Austin a girl was killed on a scooter yesterday when she hit a curb. Nothing else, just the curb. She wasn't wearing a helmet of course.
Oh no :(