The Sweet Spot

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KRUSTYburger

The Sweet Spot

Post by KRUSTYburger »

So after riding last night I made a discovery that gave my scoot a new nickname: Heinz 57. I noticed that as I'm riding, the engine is smooth up to about 40mph, then it will get kinda noisy and vibrate, then at exactly 57 mph it is completely smooth... like zero engine vibration. Once it goes over 57 then it starts running rough again.

Granted, I need to change my spark plug, but I was wondering if anyone else has a "sweet spot" where the engine runs its smoothest. Or am I just weird?

Wait, don't answer that last question
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

I take it that those are BMPH's, so you're really doing aroung 49-50 actual MPH. I'll have to try this tonight but luckily I haven't noticed any excessive vibrations at any speed.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

BigColdMartini wrote:I take it that those are BMPH's
yes. indicated speed, not GPS or anything...
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

I have something sort of similar...

When I hit 40bmph there is a subtle high pitched noise that happens...and when I pass beyond 40 it goes away. You can't drop back into it, either..it only happens when I accelerate into the world of 40 bmph. It's quite mysterious.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

you are just weird :wink:

I have a sweet spot... its everywhere as long as the motor is running.

No i dont have a vibration less motor... the ride is just so sweet... anywhere I am going at any speed! :D

but to actually answer your question... up to 40 is pretty smooth... then 40-47 is rough... then 47 + is all pretty smooth.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Mikie, do you think by chance that 47 is when your huge helmet matches that of the Earth's orbit?? The perfect alignment could cause a smooth ride! :P
Attachments
MTSS.jpg
MTSS.jpg (13.36 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

hahahaha that is AWESOME!!!

That helmet is unfortunately not mine tho... I am on the red buddy in the avatar... not the orange stella... :wink:
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Bah, I grabbed the first big helmet I saw. Foiled Again! :cry:
DennisD

Re: The Sweet Spot

Post by DennisD »

KRUSTYburger wrote:So after riding last night I made a discovery that gave my scoot a new nickname: Heinz 57. I noticed that as I'm riding, the engine is smooth up to about 40mph, then it will get kinda noisy and vibrate, then at exactly 57 mph it is completely smooth... like zero engine vibration. Once it goes over 57 then it starts running rough again.

Granted, I need to change my spark plug, but I was wondering if anyone else has a "sweet spot" where the engine runs its smoothest. Or am I just weird?

Wait, don't answer that last question
Its possible that you bought "bad jet fuel" somewhere.

Nice thing about electronic ignition is that it will fire that plug until it is gone.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Oh, I know that plug will keep "working" I just want it to "work better".
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

All bikes, actually all vehicles, have a vibration speed. It's usually a narrow band of speed where everything just kinda resonates throughout the whole vehicle. Just avoid that speed or you could start to rattle bolts loose.
Xena

Post by Xena »

The sweet spot on mine is around 53-54 mph...she just runs really nicely then...
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

I know cars usually have a bad vibration at about 60mph if the tires are unbalanced. Then it goes away if you can go faster. I wonder if the scooter tires suffer from something similar. I have read that scooter tires do not need balancing, but I am saying.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Yeah, I don't think it's the tires... plus if it stops vibrating @ 57, then it would stay smooth no matter how much faster I go. But it starts vibrating again at 58 mph and above.
Texas Tornado

Post by Texas Tornado »

I was just wondering if it might have to do with the belt in the transmission. Just a thought.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

It rides nice, the motor purrs along fairly evenly at all speeds, and I don't bother troubling myself looking for slight variations to distrurb my non-anal serenity while riding... :lol: :lol:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200