What are the advantages of a windshield

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sbebenelli

What are the advantages of a windshield

Post by sbebenelli »

This might be a dumb question......

What are the advantages of a windshield on a scooter? I see they make short, medium & long ones. I had read a post that when buying a windshield it shouldn't be long enough to where you are looking through it while driving. Is this true? If so what does the windshield do if it's not high enough to protect your face?
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

the wind goes over the top of the windshield but not in a straight line. It makes it not hit you about the chest and head
armacham

Post by armacham »

It does protect your body and most of your head by creating a slipstream effect. This also improves the aerodynamics of the scooter allowing it to go just a teensy bit faster.
rickko

Re: What are the advantages of a windshield

Post by rickko »

sbebenelli wrote:... I had read a post that when buying a windshield it shouldn't be long enough to where you are looking through it while driving. Is this true?
True.

Ideally it should be about 1 1/2" below eye level.

Remember, they don't have a wiper so they become useless when visual conditions become most critical; fog/rain/snow. Therefore you NEED to be able to see over your windshield.
...what does the windshield do if it's not high enough to protect your face?
Primarily it'll protect you from taking a wind beating; especially if you do long freeway rides.

Also protects you from flying bugs and debris. It has a minimal effect on protection from rain and a detrimental effect if you can't see above it in low visibility conditions.

In my case, I chose the short Buddy windshield for three reasons:

1) I like the way it looks!
2) My Italia is not freeway legal so wind is not an issue for me
3) I live in a warm climate so don't need cold weather wind protection a taller windshield may provide.

Good luck!
..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
dfwbill

Post by dfwbill »

I just, this past weekend, installed the Genuine short Windscreen on my Hornet. It was well worth the 99 bux and the 20 minutes to do the install. I have a 25 mile - one way - commute and it has made a hell of a difference in the wind and in the ride in general. Combine that with your helmet face shield, (I have an HCI 1/2 with the add on shield), it's just more fun with less beat-up.

I leave at 6 am, so the bug situation has been "fixed" as well. I'd advise anyone to get one. My partner's scoot has not come in yet, Tangerine must be popular, and at any rate he was giving me crap about the Windscreen until he took it to work today. First thing he did was email me how much it helped and he had the dealer put one back for him.

-Bill
My Buddy is a Hornet!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Overall, it will improve acceleration, top speed, fuel economy and performance on hills. The effects aren't dramatic, but they're definitely noticeable. IMHO, this is the best performance mod you can add: inexpensive, doesn't risk your warranty, won't shorten the lifespan of the scooter, and easy to remove.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

In my case, about 10 MPH at the top end. The windshield takes my torso (and it's a large one at that) out of the equation. The wind hits my ffhelmet instead of square in the chest. Nice on cold days, too. It can cause the helmet to buffet a bit at high speeds.

Full Disclosure: I own a Blur.
chancerbeans13

Post by chancerbeans13 »

dfwbill,

Where did you get the Genuine windshield?
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

I had problems with the wind hitting me in the chest and shooting straight up under my face shield. This caused loads of problems with my contacts. After I installed the wind shield, no more problems. An added bonus is less wind noise and I've really grown attached to how it looks. I just have the standard Genuine wind shield.

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
Xena

Post by Xena »

As you can see in my avvy, I have the short Genuine windshield and I am sure it makes a huge difference in the performance of my scooter, while looking cute doing it...
dfwbill

Post by dfwbill »

chancerbeans13 wrote:dfwbill,

Where did you get the Genuine windshield?
Hey man, got it from my Dealer... Vespa Dallas...

www.vespadallas.com
My Buddy is a Hornet!
j490p

Post by j490p »

i installed mine short windshield the other day. took it for a ride....WOW....BIG DIFFERENCE.
initially, i did not want one. i looked at pics of them on other scooters and really wasn't keen on the way they looked on the scooters. i bit the bullet and bought one anyway. as many people know, the pics on this forum DO NOT do the real thing justice. i like the way it looks and its function is very noticeable. no more punishment on my chest and face, acceleration is better, and the ride is smoother.
if you have the chance...i mean LUCK...to get one, do it!!!!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Isn't it better to have the wind blasting your body during the summer months? I wear a mesh jacket during most of the summer and I can't imagine how hot it would be without the wind blowing through it. I can see the benefit during the winter, but during the summer, give me that air flow!
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

well, windshield gas increases your mileage, as long as you have a red scooter. I do not use windshield gas.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

k1dude wrote:Isn't it better to have the wind blasting your body during the summer months? I wear a mesh jacket during most of the summer and I can't imagine how hot it would be without the wind blowing through it. I can see the benefit during the winter, but during the summer, give me that air flow!
With one of these mid-sized shields, you still get plenty of airflow to your torso. In fact, they do little to keep away the cold in the winter.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

OT: for ON Topic...I know its a first for me...

Does anyone have any experience with the little windshields... like sport bike sized? Someone was talking about carbon fiber buddy parts and mentioned mini windshields... anyone with some insight?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

When you guys say the "Genuine short windscreen" where can I find that online? The only short one I see on Scooterworks site is this Cuppini Short Windscreen. But I don't really love the thick black hardware and piping on the edges.

OH wait, I just found this one too. But it's also a Cuppini. Doesn't have the black piping though.

Is the Genuine one different?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jmazza wrote:When you guys say the "Genuine short windscreen" where can I find that online? The only short one I see on Scooterworks site is this Cuppini Short Windscreen. But I don't really love the thick black hardware and piping on the edges.

OH wait, I just found this one too. But it's also a Cuppini. Doesn't have the black piping though.

That Cuppini is only for the '06s. Oddly, most of them didn't ship with the black trim. Same goes for the Cuppinis for the Vespa.

You want this one, which is really more of mid-shield.

Short windshields (a.k.a. sport screens or flyscreens) are much shorter, only about 6" inches taller than the headlight. There's not a Buddy one, though, and I'm not sure one would work well mounted via the mirror posts.
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

ericalm wrote:
jmazza wrote:When you guys say the "Genuine short windscreen" where can I find that online? The only short one I see on Scooterworks site is this Cuppini Short Windscreen. But I don't really love the thick black hardware and piping on the edges.

That Cuppini is only for the '06s. Oddly, most of them didn't ship with the black trim. Same goes for the Cuppinis for the Vespa.

You want this one, which is really more of mid-shield.
http://www.scooterwest.com/files/items/ ... screen.jpg[/img]
Ok, second dumb question of the day - is it the first windshield linked that only works on the 06? I adore the heavy black trim and the overall shape, dislike the second windshield completely.

Clarify for me please? Thanks! :oops:
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

this one is just for the '06 models.

As I said, in typical Cuppini fashion, most of them only have that black trim around the headlight, not the whole shield.

You could probably get one of these (if still in stock anywhere) and cut a bigger space for the '07 and later larger headlight. The trim can be done easily with rubber door trim from an auto shop. You can also get silver trim there!
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

Hmmm the still in stock is doubtful. I hear there's a plastic design company in Tacoma that can make a windshield to order - probably pricy, but makes it possible to get exactly what I want - I love the chrome trim idea!!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

ok just got a cuppinni windshield, was wondering if anyone can direct me to install instructions, last thing I need it this thing failing at speed.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Funny this thread is here at this time. Not more than 5 minutes ago finished installing a Prima Medium windsreen on my St. Tropez. I think it looks great but as I have been used to riding sans windshield since I first got my scooter, surprising to me, I immediately felt claustrophobic sitting behind that sheet of plastic. Even just sitting in my parking space, I felt cramped and my view felt spoiled. I removed the windshield immediately. No can do. I'll definitely give it another chance on another day (I left the hardware installed because I think I like how it raises my mirrors up an inch or so), but for now I realize that all I want in front of me is the open road...

I was really surprised that I had such a strong and unexpected reaction to the windscreen. Not what I was expecting at all.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

I just finished installing, I can totally see how you feel, I've never had one either, I'm gonna give it a test run right now and see how I like it. these things should come with lock-tight standard, gotta pick some up and redo all the bolts
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

I really like the WS so far, mine is short and cut down a bit so I do get buffeted in the head (wind not jimmy) but it's cool with my FF on, it very noticeably eliminate wind on my chest making riding at speed and accelerating seem smoother, I'll test the top end tomorrow on the group ride.
pajeanka

Post by pajeanka »

Last weekend I cut the headlight opening on my 06 Buddy Short Cuppini windscreen larger so that it would fit on my new 08 Buddy St Tropez (after taking it off my 06 Buddy 125). I taped off the area with blue painter's tape & then drew a line 1" wider on the sides of the headlight opening leaving the top of the curve in the same place (a set of french drafting curves helped draw the curves symmetrically). Made the cut with a jigsaw & sanded the cut edge with some fine sandpaper & glued the black rubber molding back on.
I had ridden the St Tropez for a month without a windscreen, but was really missing it. In this part of the country 20-30 mph daily winds are common no matter what season of the year. For my small 5'1" - 112 lb frame the windscreen makes riding much easier and more enjoyable. For the trade off of a little more wind noise around my helmet, it's totally worth it. :lol:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pajeanka wrote:Last weekend I cut the headlight opening on my 06 Buddy Short Cuppini windscreen larger so that it would fit on my new 08 Buddy St Tropez (after taking it off my 06 Buddy 125). I taped off the area with blue painter's tape & then drew a line 1" wider on the sides of the headlight opening leaving the top of the curve in the same place (a set of french drafting curves helped draw the curves symmetrically). Made the cut with a jigsaw & sanded the cut edge with some fine sandpaper & glued the black rubber molding back on.
I had ridden the St Tropez for a month without a windscreen, but was really missing it. In this part of the country 20-30 mph daily winds are common no matter what season of the year. For my small 5'1" - 112 lb frame the windscreen makes riding much easier and more enjoyable. For the trade off of a little more wind noise around my helmet, it's totally worth it. :lol:
Awesome! I've been hoping someone would do this. Any chance you took before & after pics?
Rokky

Post by Rokky »

ericalm wrote:Overall, it will improve acceleration, top speed, fuel economy and performance on hills. The effects aren't dramatic, but they're definitely noticeable. IMHO, this is the best performance mod you can add: inexpensive, doesn't risk your warranty, won't shorten the lifespan of the scooter, and easy to remove.
If you go with a windshield what helmet would you use?
A full face or or not?
rajron

Post by rajron »

For eye protection it depends on the screen you select.
Tall protects the eyes
Short will not
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Right now around here it's flying bug season.
Need I say more?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Beamster wrote:Right now around here it's flying bug season.
Need I say more?
I couldn't agree more. Windshields are definitely advantageous from a technical stand point. A lot of it comes down to personal taste though. If it's set up right, it reduces your aerodynamic drag, which help increase acceleration and top speed, along with fuel economy and (to an extent) rider comfort.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.