USA Today on Scooter Boom

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

USA Today on Scooter Boom

Post by ericalm »

Hey, it's the nation's largest newspaper but they're pretty late jumping on the bandwagon with this story.
There is a quote from Genuine's Brett Ratner.
At Genuine Scooter, whose brands include Buddy and Stella, there's no longer a need for a warehouse. All scooters go straight to dealers.

"They're selling faster than we can make them," says Brett Ratner, Genuine's dealer development director.
Across the industry, scooter sales are up 66%. Vespa sales are up 174%. Genuine is up 122% (quoted in another story).

They went with a stock photo which unfortunately shows a scooter model no longer manufactured (Vespa ET). Comments are typical: lots of ignorant anti-scooter baloney and a couple defenders.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
Xena

Post by Xena »

Thank you for posting the story and photo links :)

I will say that is one beautiful scooter...
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

I just had to comment. ;)
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

7eregrine wrote:The PHOTO link is pretty good:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/gallery/a ... p;aid=3094
But a bit lazy. Looks like they just searched stock sites and AP and snagged whatever. Look at those "scooters" the Carolina Panthers are riding. And the thing in the shot with Jessica Simpson is a moped! For shame, USA Today!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BadWolf

Post by BadWolf »

very dissapointed witht the pictures the 2 the football players were riding were Push scooters with motors and jessica simpsons clearly had pedals so that would make it a MOPED and as we all Know "Its not a damn moped"
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

That moped is interesting though - either interesting good or interesting bad, I haven't decided yet. It has a bicycle front fork for suspension -- looks just like the the Rock Shox Judy on my mid-90s mountain bike.

But yeah, lame journalism. I could've come up with better Google search results. Maybe I'll submit what I would have compiled as a "portfolio" and apply for a job over there.
greencountry

Re: USA Today on Scooter Boom

Post by greencountry »

At Genuine Scooter, whose brands include Buddy and Stella, there's no longer a need for a warehouse. All scooters go straight to dealers.

"They're selling faster than we can make them," says Brett Ratner, Genuine's dealer development director.
Shouldn't that be, "They're selling faster than we can re-brand them"?

:P
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

7eregrine wrote:I just had to comment. ;)
And I just had to "recommend" you. :)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Re: USA Today on Scooter Boom

Post by illnoise »

greencountry wrote:Shouldn't that be, "They're selling faster than we can re-brand them"?
Nice!
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

USA Today is to journalism what McDonalds is to fine cuisine. Designed for mass market "appeal" and processed so it no longer resembles anything that occurs in nature.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gt1000 wrote:USA Today is to journalism what McDonalds is to fine cuisine. Designed for mass market "appeal" and processed so it no longer resembles anything that occurs in nature.
[somewhat OT]True, yet they've become a standard bearer solely by succeeding and having a smart business model. Meanwhile the traditional newspaper industry is dying a horrible and painful death. (Oh, some will survive in some form, yeah.) No, USA Today isn't responsible for that, but we'll see much more of that kind of journalism as newsrooms elsewhere shrink.[/OT]
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

I have to laugh at some of the replies the story has gotten.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

ericalm wrote:
7eregrine wrote:The PHOTO link is pretty good:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/gallery/a ... p;aid=3094
But a bit lazy. Looks like they just searched stock sites and AP and snagged whatever. Look at those "scooters" the Carolina Panthers are riding. And the thing in the shot with Jessica Simpson is a moped! For shame, USA Today!
Yes, that would be AP unless they have their own file photo.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

ericalm wrote:
gt1000 wrote:USA Today is to journalism what McDonalds is to fine cuisine. Designed for mass market "appeal" and processed so it no longer resembles anything that occurs in nature.
[somewhat OT]True, yet they've become a standard bearer solely by succeeding and having a smart business model. Meanwhile the traditional newspaper industry is dying a horrible and painful death. (Oh, some will survive in some form, yeah.) No, USA Today isn't responsible for that, but we'll see much more of that kind of journalism as newsrooms elsewhere shrink.[/OT]
The best newspaper in the country is the Wall Street Journal.

20 years from now, larger papers will be free distribution Sunday (color ad inserts) and Wednesday (grocery ads). You'll have to pay for the rest. Papers in smaller communities will still thrive.

It's funny, the past 50 years newspapers have concentrated less on good journalism and more on advertising. Then the Internet came along, took all the classified advertising (the meat) away from newspapers. Now they have to concentrate on a good product again. One man's opinion.

I have 15 years in the newspaper industry, now selling real estate.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

That's a little harsh. It's still more authoritative than tv news.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

It's a scooped, a scooter with pedals! And the look :shock: on Jessica Simpson's face is priceless.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

That photo of Henry Fonda is awesome. Anyone have a copy? The Mamie van Doren one is cool too.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Fonda Fonda Fonnnnnnnndaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Attachments
fonda.jpg
fonda.jpg (23.99 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

7eregrine wrote:Fonda Fonda Fonnnnnnnndaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Whew! Lucky he has that huge windshield or his hair might get mussed up.
Last edited by k1dude on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

7eregrine wrote:Fonda Fonda Fonnnnnnnndaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
That's awesome!