Buddy sightings in YOUR area!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BM

Post by BM »

r0sa, it looks like you've finally seen some Buddies around SA! I still have not, barring my own. Am I too zoned out or something? I ride about 40 miles every weekday so you'd think eventually I'd see a Buddy. I do see some scooters from time to time, just not Buddies.
Xena

Post by Xena »

I spotted an orange 50cc Buddy on my way to work this morning :) FINALLY! I was wondering if I would ever see some on the roads here...

I pulled up next to him to say hello and he seemed quite pleased to have the scooter recognized...
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Xena, what route do you take (and when)? I'm always out and about all over the city (sometimes I even deign to go over to the East Side like last night in the rain).
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

hey BM,

i actually haven't seen any buddies in SA, yet i've seen quite a couple in Austin though, i've been out of town visiting my parents in houston and friends in austin and won't be back in town until school starts.

no need to worry though, when the time comes, you'll spot some buddies of your own :wink:
hackett

Post by hackett »

Saw a black one headed down Austin Hwy between New Braunfels and Broadway today at 2:30. :P
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
standup

Post by standup »

well I didn't personally see it, but here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01616.html

is a picture of a St Tropez (or merely powder blue) buddy riding past the line of TV satellite trucks covering the anthrax attack suspect who killed himself...
lemontootsie

Huntsville, AL

Post by lemontootsie »

I've seen a few scooters around town, and have friends with Vespa's, but so far I haven't seen another Buddy.

It's just me and hope one day to see another!!
mayra

Post by mayra »

saw a black buddy in downtown rva main st friday. he waved but i was too scared to wave back :oops:
mayra

Post by mayra »

a pamplona by westover hills/forest hill today! i was on my way to the dog park in a car
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Tangerine Bud!

On Barham between Hollywood & Burbank—a frequent route for me.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
esk

Post by esk »

i've been taking a class on the university of washington campus this week, and for two days have been parking in a rather inconvenient parking garage while i fruitlessly searched for the precious motorcycle spots that are supposed to be close to the engineering library. anyway, today i finally found them and spotted an italia amongst all the motorcycles.
butero

Post by butero »

I followed a red Buddy down State Bridge Rd and then left onto McClure Bridge Rd in Duluth, GA today. We parted ways just before the railroad tracks in downtown. I was in my truck today or we could've had a small scoot parade. Was this anyone around here?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

has anyone done like me, and gone past their intended destination, or taken different routes etc... to follow/try to catch up to/ride along with another buddy you have found on the road?
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

You mean like a 'scooter stalker'? ;)
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

exactly
scootersRhogs2

Post by scootersRhogs2 »

i saw a seafoam budy on slaughter in austin across from wal-mart. i honked.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

MikieTaps wrote:has anyone done like me, and gone past their intended destination, or taken different routes etc... to follow/try to catch up to/ride along with another buddy you have found on the road?
Yes. Not just with Buddys. Sometimes to see what model a scoot is or if i know the rider. :oops:

It's a sickness, really.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
skullmechanic

Post by skullmechanic »

At a gas station today, my daughter and I thought we spotted a Buddy. But when she ran over to check it out, it turned out to be a "My Bubu." I just found outmtjat this is a PGO and the forerunner of the Buddy. How common is that?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

skullmechanic wrote:At a gas station today, my daughter and I thought we spotted a Buddy. But when she ran over to check it out, it turned out to be a "My Bubu." I just found outmtjat this is a PGO and the forerunner of the Buddy. How common is that?
Good spotting! There are very few BuBus in the US. I think a small company imported them for a short time before Genuine did, but I've never seen a badged BuBu. Some made it over as "grey market" imports.

The Buddy is still sold as the BuBu in Asia.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I saw three buddies so far today... all of them on denny, all of them right by the Whole Foods on Westlake and Denny. Two of them I have posted about before, both red, one with a black metal prima "crate" and one with a givi? black case. The other was a girl riding a black buddy up the hill. the red and black were this morning around 9. the second red one was around 1pm
esk

Post by esk »

early this morning: sunset buddy with a matching topcase in front of the fremont library.

at work later in the day: finally got to park in the correct lot. when i wandered by at lunchtime, yesterday's italia had parked next to me - with a vino on their left and a pearly white vespa on my right. <a href="http://flickr.com/photos/esk/2739946889 ... /">scooter stalking!</a>
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

esk wrote:early this morning: sunset buddy with a matching topcase in front of the fremont library.

at work later in the day: finally got to park in the correct lot. when i wandered by at lunchtime, yesterday's italia had parked next to me - with a vino on their left and a pearly white vespa on my right. <a href="http://flickr.com/photos/esk/2739946889 ... /">scooter stalking!</a>
That's fun! Where do you work that you have scooter/MC parking spots and so many riders in one place?
~Celebrate~
esk

Post by esk »

runtotorun121 wrote:That's fun! Where do you work that you have scooter/MC parking spots and so many riders in one place?
university of washington seattle campus :) it is fun! that particular lot has about 15-20 motorcycle spaces, which were about 80% full today - pretty good showing for summer quarter.
hackett

Post by hackett »

Saw an Italia across the street from Central Market on Broadway yesterday. Two-up, topcase.
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

esk wrote:early this morning: sunset buddy with a matching topcase in front of the fremont library.

ESK

When am I gonna run into you? Do you stay mostly on the University Side of the city? Have you been to cafe racer?
shahdhch

Post by shahdhch »

Finally a sighting by me....or really my boyfriend. At Kraft where he works in Springfield Missouri, an orange 2008 was sighted parked in the lot as he was leaving to go home.
I once shot a man just to watch him die. Then I got distracted and missed it.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

on my way back to work after lunch i saw a girl mid 20's with a white and red or orange helmet riding a seafoam buddy up Boren in between Pike and Pine at about 1pm
esk

Post by esk »

MikieTaps wrote:ESK

When am I gonna run into you? Do you stay mostly on the University Side of the city? Have you been to cafe racer?
well, i've been keeping an eye out for a red buddy with a noisy pipe, but haven't seen you yet! ;)

yeah, i live in fremont and am usually hanging around north seattle. i haven't been to cafe racer yet, but i've been by it and keep meaning to check it out. i'm going out of the country for 2 weeks at the end of the month and am totally swamped getting ready for it, but hopefully when i get back there'll still be enough dry days for me to get some scooter rallyin' in!
brettro

Post by brettro »

Mikie I'm surprised we haven't run into each other yet if you live on Seneca. I'm just over on Madison
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I saw my very FIRST Buddy (that didn't belong to me or was in a showroom)!!! It's not anyone on here though, it's our friend, Frank! He's had a Stella with a sidecar for a while and just got an '08 red Buddy 125 today at the local shop and brought it by for me to examine. He is loving that extra get-up-n-go and no shifting! Maybe he'll be the next MB member!
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

Just got back from Key West...hundreds of Syms...no BUDDY at all.

I live in Palm Beach, FL....still have not spotted another one.

I'm all alone here... :(
Cya!
Mark Turkel
http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com
http://www.BeGreenSaveTheWorld.com

Genuine Buddy 125cc
Powder Blue - (Yes, I picked "that" color cause I likes it!)

Like someone else said "Saving Gas and Sticking it to the Man!"
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Saw a creme Buddy late last night in San Francisco. It was parked on the east side of Taylor somewhere between California and Pacific.
bunny

Post by bunny »

This evening on eastbound Mid-Cities and Industrial (?), just east of 121...RED Buddy with red helmeted rider! I honked at him and smiled, I was going west bound at the 121 light...

OH said he was checking me out...I think he was checking Bonheur out! :D
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

Sumosamurai

Post by Sumosamurai »

Saw a Blue buddy 125 at the grove AND a Pamplona driving down Cahuenga towards burbank on my way back from work! Yeah Buddies!
Last edited by Sumosamurai on Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everybody wants to ride a buddy...Scooter"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Pulled up next to a young woman on a sunset Buddy this morning (Laurel Canyon Blvd.), wearing a sparkly stars and stripes helmet, with a black Nolan N30 dangling from the buddy bar. She probably thought I was trying to scooter mack her, as I tried to chat her up at the light.

Me: Hey, nice Buddy!
Her: Thanks!
Me: Are you by any chance on the Modern Buddy forum?
Her: The what?
Me: It's a website for Buddy riders—Modern Buddy?
Her: Myron what?
Me: No, MODERN BUDDY!
Her: Oh, I think I went there.

Then the light turned green and she turned. :oops:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Saw a lady on Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy this morning around 7:30ish, blue buddy and a very cool vintage lady's leather jacket with a half helmet. I've seen her the last two days in about the same spot and time, always going the oposite direction from me :?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

ericalm wrote:Pulled up next to a young woman on a sunset Buddy this morning (Laurel Canyon Blvd.), wearing a sparkly stars and stripes helmet, with a black Nolan N30 dangling from the buddy bar. She probably thought I was trying to scooter mack her, as I tried to chat her up at the light.

Me: Hey, nice Buddy!
Her: Thanks!
Me: Are you by any chance on the Modern Buddy forum?
Her: The what?
Me: It's a website for Buddy riders—Modern Buddy?
Her: Myron what?
Me: No, MODERN BUDDY!
Her: Oh, I think I went there.

Then the light turned green and she turned. :oops:

I try to sling Modern Buddy to other buddies I meet too... I usually get weird faces... we need cards.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

MikieTaps wrote:I try to sling Modern Buddy to other buddies I meet too... I usually get weird faces... we need cards.
I know. Cards. Soon!

I can't explain why you get weird faces, though, or guarantee that cards would prevent that. :P
rx

Post by rx »

cards would be amazing. they could be dropped in the front carrier of a buddy you see parked, calling card style.

also,
on my way back to work after lunch i saw a girl mid 20's with a white and red or orange helmet riding a seafoam buddy up Boren in between Pike and Pine at about 1pm
i think i might've seen that person too, on wednesday. i saw a girl on a seafoam buddy riding west on pine at boylston around 5pm. actually, i saw three buddies in the span of like an hour that day. the seafoam, a red one, and a cream one later parked on pine. i was sitting outside of hot mama's, apparently the best place for scooter watching.
nuttmeg75

Post by nuttmeg75 »

Saw a Buddy last night in Pasadena in the parking garage on Fair Oaks, 1 block south of Colorado. It had a custom brown & tan paint job w/ silver trim around both fenders, white walls, crash bars, front rack and a white seat (formerly a pink Buddy?). It looked really sharp.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

nuttmeg75 wrote:Saw a Buddy last night in Pasadena in the parking garage on Fair Oaks, 1 block south of Colorado. It had a custom brown & tan paint job w/ silver trim around both fenders, white walls, crash bars, front rack and a white seat (formerly a pink Buddy?). It looked really sharp.
Betcha it was this one.

viewtopic.php?t=4150
It belongs to a MB member: ScooterNewbie!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

today a little after 1: Series Italia and a Pamplona near Vineland/Lankershim headed towards (but maybe not to) NoHo Scooters.

NoHo, btw, has no Genuines on the floor right now!
I did get to see the 2-tone Kymco People 50s and they look pretty good.
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Today around 2:30 a black Buddy just east of the Rose Bowl! Anyone????

PasadenaSue
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

Tonight (Aug 9th, 2008) as we were leaving dinner we saw not one but TWO buddies in front of John Holly's on South Downing street in Denver. The first is a Series Italia with a white metal basket in the back, with bungie cords. The second is a red 125. I took a pic but it's all dark and you can't see anything... so no postie.

Do they belong to anyone on here? An older woman and her husband/guy friend came out and were asking about it so I took the opportunity to give them some info about the scooters. :D
SheZAAM!

Post by SheZAAM! »

Not us, but look for me (Pink Buddy 125) and Hubby (black 125) around town. Tonight we drove since it looked like rain but we saw a Black 50 in front of Vesta Dipping Grill and a Cream 50 nearby.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Tonight on Magnolia in downtown Burbank: Series Italia, riding 2-up
yo!
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Last Sunday I saw 2: an orange 2008 and an italia in crestwood.
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

ericalm wrote:today a little after 1: Series Italia and a Pamplona near Vineland/Lankershim headed towards (but maybe not to) NoHo Scooters.

I wouldn't be surprised if those Internationals are the ones they have in the back. I know they have some in-house Buddies, so maybe the NoHo folks were taking them out for a spin, or had customers trying them out. I wish I could press fast forward on this... let's get the September shipments already. :cry: OK, suck it up, suck it up... your momma didn't raise no crybaby... waaaah!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BeetleGoose wrote:
ericalm wrote:today a little after 1: Series Italia and a Pamplona near Vineland/Lankershim headed towards (but maybe not to) NoHo Scooters.

I wouldn't be surprised if those Internationals are the ones they have in the back. I know they have some in-house Buddies, so maybe the NoHo folks were taking them out for a spin, or had customers trying them out. I wish I could press fast forward on this... let's get the September shipments already. :cry: OK, suck it up, suck it up... your momma didn't raise no crybaby... waaaah!!!
Pretty sure at least the Pamplona was a customer scoot—i know they have a SI and a San Tropez they've used as shop scoots. Mike's out of town and their tech was working in the back.

Ooh, I also saw a tangerine Buddy parked on Barham near Olive between Hollywood and Burbank a few days ago. Lots of Buddys—where are all the MBers?
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

Pink and Black. My business card is pink and black. My two favorite colors heheh.

Another sighting this morning, a pair of buddies 50. one red. one black. parked at the edge of a parking lot by the sidewalk, on east bayaud and south emerson. i've seen the red buddy parked there before, but not the black one.

SheZAAM! wrote:Not us, but look for me (Pink Buddy 125) and Hubby (black 125) around town. Tonight we drove since it looked like rain but we saw a Black 50 in front of Vesta Dipping Grill and a Cream 50 nearby.