Anybody heard of a bell on your motor?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Scottycap

Anybody heard of a bell on your motor?

Post by Scottycap »

My dad was telling me that most two wheeler riders keep a bell on their motors some where to keep the demons away.... anyone heard of this?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yep. It's an old motorcyclist thing. Some discussion of it here:
viewtopic.php?t=5468

It's called a gremlin bell.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Dee

Post by Dee »

http://www.gremlinbells.com/

Good service, nice people.

I was MSF and there was a big Harley there with a bell between the forks. I asked my brother if he would put one in his BMW and he said he had heard about them and would, so I sent him one, too.

They are just a fun thing that gives you something else to talk to people about your scooter other than how many MPG does it get and how much did you pay for it. :)
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

If you get one try to get it as near to the bottom of your scooter as you can! I know, I know. Some people just hang them for decoration and the 'symbolism', but just in case is can work its mystical powers they say it is most useful to put it low so those pesky gremlins can't crawl up the scooter/bike while you are riding. :wink:

I think I might have attached mine to my center stand if I had poked around for a bit, but the heat index was over 105, we were standing in the sun, and I just wanted to get the little thing attached. So mine is attached to the loop on my side stand. :)
~Celebrate~
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Clutches (even CVT clutches) have a "bell," so you're covered already.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

They are to be given as a gift to your 2 wheelin' compatriots to be at their most powerful. If you buy your own gremlin bell it is rendered powerless.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

illnoise wrote:Clutches (even CVT clutches) have a "bell," so you're covered already.

Bb.
That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this topic!!

I think madtolive punched a hole in the bottom of her rear mudflap to attach her gremlin bell. Or someone here did... might not have been her. But it looked like a good place to put it.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Will a cowbell still function as a gremlin bell if gifted to the person that will be using it?

I was looking at my Blur today and thought, "Hmm, needs more cowbell..." :wink:

Bah dum bum.... thank you, thank you, ill be here all week. enjoy the salad bar!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

GFridrich3 wrote:Will a cowbell still function as a gremlin bell if gifted to the person that will be using it?

Bah dum bum.... thank you, thank you, ill be here all week. enjoy the salad bar!
Cowbell should be mounted on the handlebars, with a drumstick holster nearby. That way you can pull up to cars blasting music at intersections and start playing along.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
bunny

Post by bunny »

Maybe it was just Bonheur...there is a rectangular metal plate underneath the footboard. Up a tad from the center stand. anyhoo, one side of the plate has holes so my OH attached the bell there. It's the LOWEST point on the scooter shy of being on the ground.

Mine's in the design of an actual guardian angel. It was a birfday surprise! YAY!

Oh, and my topcase came in today! OH just came and picked up Bonheur for the ride to the dealership...She's .9899999 complete!
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

ericalm wrote:Cowbell should be mounted on the handlebars, with a drumstick holster nearby.
That'd go great with that Stebel horn that plays "Mississippi Queen."

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

ericalm wrote:
GFridrich3 wrote:Will a cowbell still function as a gremlin bell if gifted to the person that will be using it?

Cowbell should be mounted on the handlebars, with a drumstick holster nearby. That way you can pull up to cars blasting music at intersections and start playing along.
Cowbell? Check.
Drumsticks? Check.

I just might do this.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jmazza wrote:Cowbell? Check.
Drumsticks? Check.

I just might do this.
Please?!? With video? :D

I used to have one of those around the neck harmonica holders. I would play along with CDs while driving on long, boring trips through un-scenic North Texas. Hilariously, I know someone who, not knowing I did this, admitted doing same thing.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I really really rly rly need a horn that plays the intro to either "Dixie" or "Mexican Hat Dance"

...not to deride this post or nothing. *face palm*
ModBud #442