Financing

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tonupboy

Financing

Post by Tonupboy »

Just wanna know if its possible to finance a scooter. In the past, I purchased a used scooter using cash, but now I wanna new Stella. Is it possible to finance it? Someone told me that they don't since its cheaper than a motorcycle.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

They don't make Stellas anymore.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Stella availability aside, it is possible to finance anything. The real issue is finding a willing lender.

Here in Cincinnati, there is a Credit Union that had a Buddy in it's window all summer/fall to advertise that they would finance them.

Many scooter dealers are independent and small, so they don't have their own financing available. If you ask though, they might be able to point you to a bank that has been helpful to their customers before.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

Or, you could take advantage of the many many many 0% interest credit card offers.
ellen

Post by ellen »

Most dealers offer some kind of financing.
Piaggio and Kymco have their own.
And there is also GE FUNancing. www.funancing.com
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

I financed my scooter through my bank, First Tech Credit Union. Keep in mind, that banks only finance the MSRP of the scooter... not title, taxes, etc.
Because it's considered a Recreational Vehicle Loan, interest rates were higher for me than a motorcycle... but it was well worth it. For only $85 a month I get my Buddy.
It's Scooter-rific!!!
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

The dealer where I purchased had financing through American General. I got 90 days same as cash, and paid it off, so I don't know how bad the interest rates might be. But they keep offering to loan me more money. So that might be an option. I would be careful though.
Tonupboy

Post by Tonupboy »

The Buddy looks great - even the Blur. I keep a video blog using my Suzuki Sv650s, but I need something that I can just hop on and go around town and even commute to work and I think scooters perfect. Thank you all for your help and advice!
Tonupboy

Post by Tonupboy »

Elm Creek Smith wrote:They don't make Stellas anymore.

ECS
Woah, I didnt know that. Do you know the reason why?
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Tonupboy wrote:

ECS
Something to do with the factory workers being locked-out. No workers, no scoots!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

vitaminC wrote:
Tonupboy wrote:

ECS
Something to do with the factory workers being locked-out. No workers, no scoots!
Yup, there's an ongoing labor dispte at the LML factory in India where Stellas were assembled. This has been covered quite a bit over on the 2strokeBuzz site. This dispute, BTW, has nothing to do with Genuine. There have been a lot of rumors about Genuine having Stellas manufactured elsewhere but so far nothing has turned up.

The popularity of the new Genuine line and their expanded dealer network and the fact that they were made legal in CA just before disappearing from the marketplace could mean huge sales if the Stellas were to return. I'd definitely consider buying one instead of a vintage P200.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ericalm wrote:I'd definitely consider buying one instead of a vintage P200.
Me too! One of the main turn-offs for me regading the classic Vespas is that pollution-wise they are just too dirty. I would feel guilty every time I took it out for a ride. At least the Stella has a catalytic converter, so it's not quite so bad... or at least that would help me justify it :wink:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

vitaminC wrote:
ericalm wrote:I'd definitely consider buying one instead of a vintage P200.
Me too! One of the main turn-offs for me regading the classic Vespas is that pollution-wise they are just too dirty. I would feel guilty every time I took it out for a ride. At least the Stella has a catalytic converter, so it's not quite so bad... or at least that would help me justify it :wink:
I don't know how they compare in terms of emissions... Are vintage scoots really that bad? They've still got to be better than a car once you factor in less gas consumption. But cleaner IS better, of course.

I'd opt for a Stella more because I like having a warranty and better reliability from day 1. If they offered a new one with the same warranty and roadside service deal as the Buddy, even better!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ericalm wrote: I don't know how they compare in terms of emissions... Are vintage scoots really that bad? They've still got to be better than a car once you factor in less gas consumption. But cleaner IS better, of course.
Yes, vintage scoots are that bad. It's not just the amount of gas they burn, which certainly is less than most cars, but it's the huge amount of pollutants generated from a two-stroke engine. Lots of extra hydrocarbons and other junk because the 2-stroke cycle burns oil in addition to gas, and doesn't really burn either completely.
Fueldrum

Just a thought...

Post by Fueldrum »

Not to be a horrible stick in the mud, but you could take advantage of the winter when you can't ride anyway to save up for a Buddy instead of financing/loan nonsense.

Debt free and paying with cash are powerful things!
--Nick