The REAL Enemy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

The REAL Enemy

Post by ericalm »

All this talk about Vespa snobs, Chinese scooters, this model vs. that model and so on has me seeking a little solidarity among scooterists. I figure we needs something we can all rally around as community.

So here it is: a common enemy. Our collective nemesis.
Don't be fooled by her Alexis "Rory Gilmore" Bliedel-like innocent cuteness. Don't be lured into thinking that she's on an emergency phone call because a relative has been sent to the hospital and that relative loves to see her in lipstick. That's exactly what she wants you to think.

She is not alone, merely one prong of an army of cagers whose only goal is to run scooterists off the road while making it look like an "accident." As in: "I accidentally changed lanes while talking on the phone and putting on lipstick, officer. But you must admit, my ruby beestung lips are worth putting a scooterist in the hospital."

Evil. Incarnate. Your vigilance is our only defense. We must stand together to stave off these malevolent cagers.

So try to have at least a little respect for what your fellow scooterists ride, whether it's a luxury model or a mainland import. Otherwise, all is hopeless. And you're just asking for some bad scooter karma.

We shall prevail!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BadWolf

Post by BadWolf »

I'd let her run into me anyday
sargelee71

Post by sargelee71 »

Totally not my type AND I don't like that lipstick color, to boot. Stay the F**k away!!!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BadWolf wrote:I'd let her run into me anyday
See? This is how they get us. Resist!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Hell, I'd run into her!
johnny_buddha

Post by johnny_buddha »

She looks like she's on the phone with a Buddy dealer getting a status update all while getting ready for her date with another scooterist. She's your friend.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

k1dude wrote:Hell, I'd run into her!
I should have spent more time looking for a different photo.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

ericalm wrote:
LOL!!!
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

I spend at least 1/2 my time on the road so I've gotten paranoid about drivers like that. I avoid them like they have the plague.

As for anyone on a scooter, I've give them a wave regardless of what I am driving at the time. It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride safely in my opinion.
Heroism is being scared as hell and saddling up anyways - John Wayne
BadWolf

Post by BadWolf »

ericalm wrote:
I mean she is wearing a tube top and probably some capris and sandals id say she is ready to hop on the back opf a scoot 8)
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

For the sake of scooterists everywhere, and with no regard for my personal safety, I hereby volunteer to take her prisoner and hold her for interrogation.

It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.

-Charlie55
Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin »

She's hot!! I mean uh SATAN!
Scooting is ZEN....
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Oh, sure, she's cute—that's how they catch you of guard, boys. But as I said, she's just one part of a multi-headed beast. Do not be deceived. Here are some of her friends.

Here's her dad on his way to work.

Mom on her commute.

Her favorite teacher.

You guys need to stop thinking with you l'il scooterists and wake up to the menace.

If, by chance, you're a dentist with a knack for unlikely coincidence, revenge could be yours.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The REAL Enemy

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:Image
Don't be fooled by her Alexis "Rory Gilmore" Bliedel-like innocent cuteness.
It is!!! It's Rory Gilmore!!!! What a way to go. Swoon...

I didn't do a very good job of resisting, did I?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Funny you should post this; I saw her on my ride home tonight. I was riding a couple cars behind her and noticed some erratic driving, and then saw the glow of the driver side vanity mirror.

I ended up right next to her at a light and stared right into her open window as she continued to put on her eyeshadow. She looked up at me and I just kept staring, shaking my head. She went back to her task at hand.

I should have honked right then. Maybe she would have poked herself in the eye! Unfortunately by the time I thought about that, the light had turned and my lane was moving.

I don't care how cute they are. Screw 'em. I don't wanna die.
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

There is a very dangerous/blind side street near my house. It is used as a short cut to the main road. I by pass it even in my car. While driving pass it on my scooter, a man pulled out right in front of me. If I didnt know to slow down before I got there he would have hit me. He was talking on his cell phone, didnt even notice me. :evil: :evil:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

addictionriot wrote:There is a very dangerous/blind side street near my house. It is used as a short cut to the main road. I by pass it even in my car. While driving pass it on my scooter, a man pulled out right in front of me. If I didnt know to slow down before I got there he would have hit me. He was talking on his cell phone, didnt even notice me. :evil: :evil:
Ah HA! So it's not just cute girls who are our mortal enemy!!! :P
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

I was in my cage the other day following a girl doing this exactly, she happened to go to the same store as me and I gave her a verbal lesson in driving. She apologized and I went on my way. Soon found out she was my cashier on my way out :lol:
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

jmazza wrote: Ah HA! So it's not just cute girls who are our mortal enemy!!! :P
8) no its also the males
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

What have you got against Alexis Bledle?

You really should go to my website before you make such judgements:
http://only-alexis.net/

And, FYI, she seems to think highly of you.
-K

(sarcasm implied)
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
bulldog1967

Post by bulldog1967 »

Damn cagers.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Who is this woman calling?

addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

ScootLemont wrote:Who is this woman calling?

Saw a guy on his cell a couple of days ago while driving his motorcycle. :?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Kevin K wrote:What have you got against Alexis Bledle?
Not a thing! She's a lovely girl. I actually liked Gilmore Girls, though I'm more of a Lauren Graham man, myself. She just has the misfortune of bearing a slight resemblance to the young woman who is The Enemy.
skullmechanic

Post by skullmechanic »

I hate to sound sexist, but I am amazed at how many young "Miss Thing" bad drivers there are. Whenever a driver does some bonehead move, I have noticed too many times that it's some under-25-girlie. I don't know why it surprises me, but it does. I guess I like to think all girls are like my wonderful daughter. :)
xtetra

Post by xtetra »

I find locally that the "texters" are the worst. I thought cell phones were bad enough, but then add text service and you've got a real problem.

I've had a lot of idiots pull out in front of me lately, they seem to see me but go for it anyway. (I literally see them hesitate and then hit the gas.) I think maybe they see what they think is a motorcycle and figure I'm farther away b/c the buddy is so small...then again, maybe they are just jerks. Nearly got verbal with one the other day. Some college kid texting, making an illegal right on red then cutting across two lanes.

I behaved myself though...just flashed my high beams to say "hello wake up"
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

ericalm wrote: Not a thing! She's a lovely girl. I actually liked Gilmore Girls, though I'm more of a Lauren Graham man, myself. She just has the misfortune of bearing a slight resemblance to the young woman who is The Enemy.
You did note the "sarcasm implied" comment, right? Image :D
-K

My SmugMug
Groovealufagus

Post by Groovealufagus »

ERik3tb wrote:As for anyone on a scooter, I've give them a wave regardless of what I am driving at the time. It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride safely in my opinion.
Agreed... I'll give the wave to anyone riding with the rubber side down.

And, don't think this is just dopey girlies, and over-extended business men. I rode the bus for 15 years before getting my scoot (in Newark, NYC, Seattle, Los Angeles, and Denver), and I can't even count how many times I've reported the same bus drivers for driving a coach full of passengers while talking on their cell phone or eating.

If it's got 4 wheels, it's probably inadvertently out to get you, even if the driver is paying attention.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

To be honest, I know I don't pay as much attention as I should when driving. I'm good about never using my cell phone, but I do fidget with my ipod and yell at my daughter and don't pay as much attention as I could, and I'm sure just about all of us do that to some degree. Sometimes I have a bad day at work on my mind, or I didn't get enough sleep, or I have a Coke Slurpee and nothing else in the world matters to me.

My wife flips out whenever she sees someone on a cell phone in a car, but then her boss or friend will call when she's driving and she'll take the call and chat with them for 20 minutes. We're all hypocrites.

Watch these videos and you realize just how hard it is for someone who's not looking for you to not see you. Most people aren't malicious or horrible, they just aren't trained to look out for scooters and motorcycles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSuglZ_oLcI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o-u0RFtyGY

both of those give me the chills. Big time.

My wife and I got in a car accident the other day, we were doing everything pretty much right, but we (ok SHE) just hydroplaned or slid on some grease or something and rear ended an old guy in a Cadillac. Maybe we didn't leave quite enough room, maybe he braked erratically, but neither of us were being irresponsible, it was just a minor accident that could happen to anyone. There wasn't much damage, and no one was hurt, but if a scooter was involved, an overcompensation by the rider, or lack of protective gear, could have seriously injured or even killed them.

It's up to us to ride defensively, carry good insurance, be prepared for everything, and just hope for the best. We can't expect others to always act in our best interest, and even when they do, things don't always work out.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
sradwick

Post by sradwick »

someone worth riding 2 up with on the buddy....
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

Illnoise, I noticed the bear but only because I had to study that phenomenon a lot in my cog psych and perception classes. It is a great example of change blindness, something I worked with in the lab a bit. This video explains it well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAnKvo-fPs0

I heard this also works but haven't tried it
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I took the liberty of fixing your image link, but I don't get it...

Bb
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
maribell

Post by maribell »

I wonder how many hours people has to practice to get down being able to text and drive.

**SPOILER WARNING**
As far as Alexis Bidel is concerned..... she's a mediocre actress at best. And I was happy when I knew her character was going to be killed at the end of Sin City.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

here in washington state we've had the 'no texting' run on the books for a little while. then, more recently, they added the no handheld cell phones (using an earpiece to talk while driving is okay). however, it is not a stoppable offense, in and of itself. you must be pulled over for something else and then get that cell phone usage penalty added on.

just the other day on my way home from work, some woman driver was changing lanes while talking on her cell; it was in her left hand so she was basically blocking her vision to boot. thank heavens it was slow traffic, cuz sure enough, she starts into my lane. she stopped when she saw me in her side mirror. i didn't have to honk.

i'd seen her ahead of time and figured she be doing something stupid because of her inattention, so i'd already slowed down, just in case.

thanks msf course! :lol:
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

We just got "no texting" here in Minnesota. We'll see if it helps.
-K

My SmugMug
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

illnoise wrote: It's up to us to ride defensively, carry good insurance, be prepared for everything, and just hope for the best. We can't expect others to always act in our best interest, and even when they do, things don't always work out.
This is probably the best summation I've read. Thanks!
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Ten and Two its bye bye to you. :twisted:
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

enzomatic wrote:It is a great example of change blindness, something I worked with in the lab a bit. This video explains it well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAnKvo-fPs0
Did they ever consider some people just don't look at other people? I am totally uncomfortable looking someone in the eyes, or looking at their face at all for that matter. Especially in a one-on-one situation... It also seemed that (of the subjects they showed) only women noticed the change. Just thought it was weird. I wonder what would happen if they had 2 ladies behind the counter instead of guys.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

kazoo wrote:Ten and Two its bye bye to you. :twisted:
You need to watch out for her anyways, as she's likely driving on the wrong side of the road.

Also, "Where's the beef?!"
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

You know... that just goes to show... I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. It must be my myopic view of the world.
farrellcollie

Post by farrellcollie »

I was almost hit twice yesterday by MEN who were not paying attention. This one boy backed his bubba truck right out in front of me and another old boy was on his cell phone whipping in and out of lanes.
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

ericalm wrote:
kazoo wrote:Ten and Two its bye bye to you. :twisted:
You need to watch out for her anyways, as she's likely driving on the wrong side of the road.

Also, "Where's the beef?!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
charltons

Post by charltons »

ericalm wrote: I should have spent more time looking for a different photo.
She's dangerous alright, but not in the way you're seeing it. SHE would be a distraction to me.
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

KRUSTYburger wrote: Did they ever consider some people just don't look at other people? I am totally uncomfortable looking someone in the eyes, or looking at their face at all for that matter. Especially in a one-on-one situation... It also seemed that (of the subjects they showed) only women noticed the change. Just thought it was weird. I wonder what would happen if they had 2 ladies behind the counter instead of guys.
that makes sense, it's just an example and because they can find it in many other instances not even involving looking at people they can assume that is what's going on. Obviously if someone catches your attention and you tune in to specific details you'll notice the change (why I notice almost all MCs and Scoots, I'm interested in them and kind of actively scan for them). This effect obviously works best if you're distracted by something else, or their is too much visual "noise". But if it was 2 hot girls or something, I'd probably notice.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

only the last 2 women noticed. There was a woman before that that missed it completely.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I think the only thing these photographs prove is the existence of the male gaze. Statistically, here in reality, the story is much different.
ModBud #442
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

My closest call was with a mother driving an SUV, talking on the phone and yelling at her kids in the back of the mini-van. But wait, there's more: She was pulling out of the grade school, making a left, and after she almost hit me, she almost took out a car driving in the other direction.

Well, summer's almost over and my prediction is that this fall Darwin will come into play here if it already hasn't.

I didn't realize until I got on a scooter that those bumper stickers about school being in session - be careful, were to warn the rest of us about this type of activity.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

KCScooterDude wrote:
I didn't realize until I got on a scooter that those bumper stickers about school being in session - be careful, were to warn the rest of us about this type of activity.

HAHAHAHAHA :lol:

My closest calls have all been down town seattle with cabbies that are talking on their cell phones <--- which is illegal in seattle.

Seattle needs to do like chicago and have the cops on ATVs going through traffic looking in windows and busting people that are talking on their cell phones! :twisted:
Attachments
images_sizedimage_103125416.jpg
images_sizedimage_103125416.jpg (24.51 KiB) Viewed 1681 times
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

i have to say, you guys, that i sorta resent the fact that "the enemy" as described here is always a woman. are we bad drivers? sure we are, but it's not like bad drivers are exclusively female. are there women who apply lipstick as they drive? sure, unfortunately, but the other day i say a man in a pickup brushing his teeth as he was driving his humongous pickup truck down a busy downtown street.
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

yeah the vast majority of my near miss incidents where cars almost killed me were men talking on their cell phones... :?