Blur 500 mile oil change!!

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RunRun

Blur 500 mile oil change!!

Post by RunRun »

Well I hit the 500 mile mark on my Blur Thursday, so it was time to change the fluids. I did the oil change and the oil filter along with gear oil I now have 558 mile on my Blur. It seem like with more and more mile the Bulr it just keep getting better doing this break-in period. Today was a good day I took the Blur up highway 84 in the Bay Area cruising from Pleasanton to Fremont then over to Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Palo alto and Menlo Park.

I think that Oil cooler is sweet on the Blur keeping the engine nice and cool at high rate of speeds and for some reason the Blur don't really feel nothing like a scooter at all. It feel more like one of the bigger bikes even at high speeds their is no vibration at all just smooth I do appreciate it.

I'll get some pictures posted from some of venture I've been taking on the Blur.

Don
Don Cobb
Genuine Blur 150
Run 2006 Model
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Blur 500 mile oil change!!

Post by illnoise »

RunRun wrote:Well I hit the 500 mile mark on my Blur Thursday,
500 miles, 500 km, or 500 bou (Blur Odometer Units)? :)

Genuine is strongly suggesting you take the bike to the dealer for the first oil change, so they can check the valve clearances. I'm not sure if it's in response to a problem, or if they just want more service money, but I was going to take mine in. Their dealer memo says "200 miles" which is 325 km and close enough to "500 bou," which is where I'm at, too. The sticker on the headset says "500km," fwiw.

200 miles seems pretty darn conservative for a first oil change and checking valve clearances.
Genuine Dealer Memo wrote:…here are some useful tips about the Buddy 125 and Blur 150.

We recommend the first oil change at 200 miles (and definitely no later than 500 miles).
If using non-synthetic engine oil, we recommend subsequent oil changes every 1,000 miles (and definitely no more than 1,500 miles).
If using synthetic oil, we recommend subsequent oil changes every 1,500 miles (and definitely no more than 2,000 miles).
We strongly suggest checking valve clearance at the first service.
Valve clearance inspections must be performed every 4,000 miles.
The standard valve spacing is between 0.06 – 0.10mm with engine off.
When the spacing is too small, idle speed will become unstable.
When the spacing is too large, loud noise will occur.
Do not install stereo systems, as the electrical system is not designed to support accessories larger than a cell-phone charger (which will become a standard feature during the 2007 model year).

Recently, we have seen many internet posts showing scooters that have tinkered-with airboxes, user-installed stereo systems, and a variety of other modifications and amateur upgrades. Please keep your customers informed that modifying the scooter can and probably will void their warranty. We strongly recommend that owners keep their scooters stock during the warranty period, especially during break-in.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Don't you also have to take it in for a dealer maintenance to keep your warranty?
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

RunRun wrote: Today was a good day I took the Blur up highway 84 in the Bay Area cruising from Pleasanton to Fremont then over to Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Palo alto and Menlo Park.
You should've kept on going right up to Skyline then over to Hwy 1! :) I've taken the Buddy for a short ride along Sklyine, and it was pretty fun, though I imagine it would be even better on the Blur.

Regarding the warranty, so long as you can show that the work was done (reciepts for oil and such), that should not adversly affect your warranty coverage. It doesn't need to be done by the dealer, it just needs to be done at the right intervals.
RunRun

Post by RunRun »

vitaminC wrote:
RunRun wrote: Today was a good day I took the Blur up highway 84 in the Bay Area cruising from Pleasanton to Fremont then over to Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Palo alto and Menlo Park.
You should've kept on going right up to Skyline then over to Hwy 1! :) I've taken the Buddy for a short ride along Sklyine, and it was pretty fun, though I imagine it would be even better on the Blur.

Regarding the warranty, so long as you can show that the work was done (reciepts for oil and such), that should not adversly affect your warranty coverage. It doesn't need to be done by the dealer, it just needs to be done at the right intervals.
That will be next I’ll ride straight up the skyline then hit highway 1 and keep going to Santa Cruz and back. I’ll take some pictures on my venture and start posting them for everyone to enjoy!!

Don
Don Cobb
Genuine Blur 150
Run 2006 Model
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

vitaminC wrote:Regarding the warranty, so long as you can show that the work was done (reciepts for oil and such), that should not adversly affect your warranty coverage. It doesn't need to be done by the dealer, it just needs to be done at the right intervals.
That's true for most scheduled maintenance, but not the first one. On the back of the warranty card, it states (the caps are theirs):
Vehicle MUST BE INSPECTED/SERVICED by an authorized Genuine dealer within 500 miles from date of purchase else the GENUINE LIMITED WARRANTY will be null and void.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ericalm wrote: That's true for most scheduled maintenance, but not the first one. On the back of the warranty card, it states (the caps are theirs):
Vehicle MUST BE INSPECTED/SERVICED by an authorized Genuine dealer within 500 miles from date of purchase else the GENUINE LIMITED WARRANTY will be null and void.
Ah :oops: Well, in that case, a trip by RunRun up to SFSC would probably be a good idea!
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

Just got my initial service done and the valves were slightly adjusted. Seems to run even smoother and feels stronger too!
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Just got my first oil change and inspection - no problems. I don't think they had to make any valve adjustments.

The price was right - free - the first warrantee service was included as part of the package at Scoot Around Town in Ypsilanti, MI.

Rode the scoot up from Toledo - about 1.5 hours on backroads (which I wasn't too familiar with, made a few wrong turns) - in 25 to 30 degree weather. I dressed warm - wore a gaiter around my neck that I could pull up over my nose. I stayed nice and cozy except for my feet - which froze - gotta get some good insulated boots.

Hmm ... just occurred to me that the oil cooler radiator is located just ahead of the foot board ... wonder if it would be possible to vent that air to the feet and legs ... hmmm ... might be an 'after warrantee' project.

-Mark