decorating my buddy - glue?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

esk

decorating my buddy - glue?

Post by esk »

i'd like to affix some small decorations (flat, laminated card stock) to my buddy - either on the rear mud guard or somewhere on the front panel. what kind of glue or adhesive should i use? i'd like for it to stay on in the rain, but be able to peel it off without doing too much damage if i need to someday.
addictionriot

Re: decorating my buddy - glue?

Post by addictionriot »

Double sticky velcro? I dont know if that would leave a mess when it got hot though..
esk

Post by esk »

hmm. i thought about velcro, but i'd like for it to be a little bit more permanent than that. i've heard the "buddy 125" badges will come off pretty cleanly if you put some effort into it - that's what i'm aiming for, but i have no idea what kinda glue that is. :)
treblecrush

Post by treblecrush »

i put a patch on my bass with silicone.......comes right off without damaging the finish.....
esk

Post by esk »

ah, that sounds perfect - something like <a href="http://www.amazon.com/DAP-INCORPORATED- ... ">this?</a> thanks!
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

How about good old rubber cement?
Probably roll right up in a ball if you want to remove it.
SaltyDog

Post by SaltyDog »

I'd be a little worried about the solvents (xylene, toluene, methyl ethyl ketone, etc.) in rubber cement doing a number on the paint. MEK will dissolve almost anything. Maybe it would be best to put a blob in an inconspicuous place first, as a test.
Cushman Deluxe Highlander Model 715 (back in the day)
CPI Oliver City 50
Honda Elite 250
Piaggio MP3-250
Lusting in my heart for a GB Pamplona...
Working my up to a Suzuki Burgman and retirement!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

esk wrote:ah, that sounds perfect - something like <a href="http://www.amazon.com/DAP-INCORPORATED- ... ">this?</a> thanks!
Something like that. I'd use the silicone adhesive sold at auto parts stores, but I don't know that it's much different.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
esk

Post by esk »

bumpin' to say that i finally picked up some "Permatex Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant" at an auto parts store and it worked great. thanks for the advice!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Hot glue. High temp. Water proof, everything proof. Unless you live in a super hot area.
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

New avitar Jfrost? Nice
Me? I ride for the bugs!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

esk wrote:bumpin' to say that i finally picked up some "Permatex Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant" at an auto parts store and it worked great. thanks for the advice!
The good thing about the silicone is that it's very easy to clean up any excess and so on. It's also easy to reposition anything you glue.

This I discovered while rebadging my Vespa with the '70s Vespa legshield emblem.

Looks a little crooked in this pic, but it's a curved surface—hmm, might need to find out how easy it is to remove something glued with silicone…
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

ericalm wrote:Looks a little crooked in this pic, but it's a curved surface—hmm, might need to find out how easy it is to remove something glued with silicone…
Heh try silicone based lubricant. They say not to use it with silicone based toys because they break down the material...so in theory it should break down the silicone adhesive just the same. :P
Lift heavy eat clean!
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Becktastic wrote:
ericalm wrote:Looks a little crooked in this pic, but it's a curved surface—hmm, might need to find out how easy it is to remove something glued with silicone…
Heh try silicone based lubricant. They say not to use it with silicone based toys because they break down the material...so in theory it should break down the silicone adhesive just the same. :P
:shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted: :oops: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

that is the most priceless reply to anything. ever.
Lift heavy eat clean!
armacham

Post by armacham »

Please, honey, not in front of the children