Do I fit on a Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

petalumatom

Do I fit on a Buddy?

Post by petalumatom »

Question from a longtime lurker who wants to get into scooters. I'm 6', 200 lbs. Am I too large for a Buddy? In my intial searching for a scooter some of the local pundits say I should look for a scoot with a longer wheelbase and 150-200cc engine. I love the idea of small maneuverable cars and scoots (although I never ridden one!) but I wonder if I am too "large" to fit on a Buddy or cruise comfortably at he 45-55MPH sppeds of the backroads here in Sonoma County. What say you?
Thanks in advance.
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

I'm 5'11" (never ask a women's weight) but its close. I'm super comfy. The only time I feel a little uncomfortable is when I'm taking long trips. Ie 4 hours at a time. My legs get a little cramped but that's what breaks are for.

I think you would fit fine. Have you gone to your dealer and sat on one? Whatever you pick be safe.
skullmechanic

Post by skullmechanic »

I am 6' and well over 200 lbs. I fit fine. The Buddy handles fine. I also test drove a Kymco People 150 and like the way it fit my big guy frame.
BeetleGoose

Re: Do I fit on a Buddy?

Post by BeetleGoose »

petalumatom wrote:Question from a longtime lurker who wants to get into scooters. I'm 6', 200 lbs. Am I too large for a Buddy? In my intial searching for a scooter some of the local pundits say I should look for a scoot with a longer wheelbase and 150-200cc engine. I love the idea of small maneuverable cars and scoots (although I never ridden one!) but I wonder if I am too "large" to fit on a Buddy or cruise comfortably at he 45-55MPH sppeds of the backroads here in Sonoma County. What say you?
Thanks in advance.
I'm a tad smaller than you (5'9", 185 lbs.) and I was surprised when I got on the Buddy at a local store. It's actually not that small of a scooter. I remember seeing other scooters in their backroom and I would say it would be an OK fit for you. I would doubt if people here in the board who are taller/bigger have a problem with the size of the Buddy.
naptime

Post by naptime »

i'm 5'10" and 220.. i'm very comfortable.

even with my daughter on the back, 5' and 100 we are comfy.

when she's not on the scoot, i sit a little farther back on the seat.

but other than that, my buddy has no problem getting up to 65+ with me on it.

and 60+ with both of us on it.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Hehe, yeah, you'll be fine. 2 up riding might not be the best, but for a solo commuter or joy-rider you'll be ok. One other thing to note... your shoe size does make a difference. Once you get to 13-14, it limits your riding positions. I'm a little taller and a little heavier and I still keep up with or out pace traffic on my Buddy. Sit on one at your dealer and think about how you feel on it. Test drive it if you're able.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
LisaLisa

Re: Do I fit on a Buddy?

Post by LisaLisa »

petalumatom wrote:...the backroads here in Sonoma County.
Oh Gawd! Just be careful of the wine taster drunks! By lunch time most of the cagers are toasted, and by 2 pm they are BAKED. But I suppose you're used to that.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I'm 6'3", 180lbs, and not only do I fit fine, but can ride two up with my wife and still hit 60mph. You'll be fine :)
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

Been riding a buddy for over a year with great success, and I am 6' 5" and go in at 210 pounds of pure scooter frenzy... okay ignore the scooter frenzy part, you will be fine with a buddy but know this, when you are tall like you and me the buddy is a single seater, but don't fear that reality, it will still haul a$$ when you want it to..................
"Social graces, got any"
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I'm 6'1" or so and approx 240lbs. I don't have any problems. My St Tropez still accelerates quite nicely with my big carcass on it. Recent ly rode with a friend who has a 250 and had no difficulty keeping up.

"Scoot on, Dude!"
Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
bulldog1967

Post by bulldog1967 »

6'2" 225 no problems on a 125 here.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

It's more about your inseam than your height. Do a test-sit, and see how it works for you.
ModBud #442