Stella Insurance woes

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

shermansae

Stella Insurance woes

Post by shermansae »

Hello,
I am looking into buying a new Stella. However, in my state, and perhaps all, insurance would be required and a motorcycle endorsement because it is over 50ccs. How are all the other Stella owners taking this? How much do you pay for insurance because my quote was practically what i pay for car insurance. :-/ I'm very interested in your comments.
Thanks
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Mine's $100 a year for full coverage. Insured thru StateFarm who I have my car insurance with.

And FWIW, _all motorized_ vehicles that ride on the road way MUST have insurance here in Oklahoma. That includes battery scooters, those razor ones with the little motor, and of couse 50cc and 150cc etc scooters like Buddy and Stella.

I am sure its the same everywhere.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

It's a motor vehicle, not really any different than a motorcycle, and you're using it on public roads, so it shouldn't be surprising that you'd need insurance. And scooters are prone to theft, so comprehensive is also highly recommended.

That rate sounds very high though, get more quotes. You can get discounts for garage storage, over 25, married, AMA membership, MSF classes, winter layoffs, etc.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

I'm paying aroung $120 a year for my '08 Buddy 125cc in Memphis. Crime rate is really high as are accidents. Plus I took a low deductible.
pdxer

Post by pdxer »

Check out country insurance. full coverage for my buddy italia 150cc will be $130 a year. they are best by far for sportbike coverage too.....they go by cc's not the style of bike.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

+1 for State Farm
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
Threegoofs

Post by Threegoofs »

Hmmm. I pay $190 or so with State Farm - $250 deductible - full coverage - comprehensive, under/uninsured, etc.

Am I paying too much? I have car insurance with SF too - they seem very reasonable for that.
I was told by my wife that I have too much money and not enough hobbies.... or something like that.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Once again, state laws vary. I think all states consider a 150 a motorcycle. Get insurance.
Scro

Post by Scro »

Rates can vary wildly from company to company; and the one that's cheapest for your neighbor may not be the cheapest for you.

I heard somewhere that calling is better than shopping online. I don't know if or why that's true -- but might be worth trying.

With a little leg work you can probably do much better. Good luck.
"I had to call my mom to pick me up from Rock and Roll Tour." -- Bo Hicks, Baak Gwai
shermansae

Post by shermansae »

Hey thanks for the comments, keep em coming if you have more. But yea, to clarify, I live in CT and lived in Hawaii before and in both places you can ride a 50cc with no insurance at all and just a regular car driver's lisence. And I did ride a 50cc in Hawaii when I lived there.
I got a quote from Met where I have my car insurance and it was a whopping 400$!!! So I'm definatley going to take your advice and check out others like state farm. The 400$ a year was what was stopping me from getting a Stella over a 50cc Buddy or some such.
Thanks again!
Xena

Post by Xena »

I have Progressive and pay $220 for my Buddy for the year for complete coverage with a $250 deductible...
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

Farmers Insurance on my '07 Buddy 125. $118/yr 100/300/50 full coverage w/$50 deductible. Also use them for home & auto.
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

In my case, I've been with StateFarm since I was 16, I'm 40 now. I've had no accidents in years and years, am over 25, have a car with them, etc. So mines cheaper because of those factors too.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

My quotes (full year):

$700 Progressive

$500 AAA

$125 Geico

I chose Geico.
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

Yeah there are many variables in insurance. Including make/model/market value, region (or even city), and all the variables others have mentioned. I'm getting $175 for my Buddy 125 with $500 deductible thru American Family Insurance - it seems damn good for Chicago -- my car is in the $350/yr range (with a $1k deductible, by the way - that's as cheap as I was comfortable taking it!).

The others in Chicago, I'm interested in what your rates are.

Also, IMHO, try to establish a relationship with an agent, don't deal directly with the insurance company. Having an agent who knows the innards of the company bureaucracy and wants to work to keep your business will give you better rates, they'll be proactive finding the discounts applicable, and if it ever comes to filing a claim, you have a single person to go to, not a myriad of random consumer service reps over the phone. I've had the same agent since I first got my license at 16, and my parents had her well before that. When I bought my Buddy, I called her immediately to establish coverage so I could ride it around (insurance required in Illinois). This was July 3 at 7:00pm. At 9:30pm she called back and said "Ok, the policy is effective immediately, we'll work out the details like the deductible on Monday but you're covered as of right now. Have a great holiday weekend!"

Try getting that kind of service with a customer service rep!
shermansae

Post by shermansae »

Holy cow! That'c ridiculous!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

greencountry wrote:Also, IMHO, try to establish a relationship with an agent, don't deal directly with the insurance company. Having an agent who knows the innards of the company bureaucracy and wants to work to keep your business will give you better rates, they'll be proactive finding the discounts applicable, and if it ever comes to filing a claim, you have a single person to go to, not a myriad of random consumer service reps over the phone. I've had the same agent since I first got my license at 16, and my parents had her well before that.
Not always. My parents had Farmers Insurance for 30 years (home and auto) through an agent they had dealt with the whole time. We filed one claim for $400 when our truck was broken into (someone stole the new 4 day old stereo). They promptly cancelled us as a bad risk after paying out $100. One claim in 30 years. And they did us no favors cancelling us since all new insurance companies ask if you have been cancelled by any other insurance company. Since we had, and it was for bad risk, we had to pay exhorbitant rates for years and years.

Our agent did us no favors. He didn't go to bat for us at all.
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

k1dude wrote: Not always. My parents had Farmers Insurance for 30 years (home and auto) through an agent they had dealt with the whole time. We filed one claim for $400 when our truck was broken into (someone stole the new 4 day old stereo). They promptly cancelled us as a bad risk after paying out $100. One claim in 30 years. And they did us no favors cancelling us since all new insurance companies ask if you have been cancelled by any other insurance company. Since we had, and it was for bad risk, we had to pay exhorbitant rates for years and years.

Our agent did us no favors. He didn't go to bat for us at all.
True. Right after I posted I was thinking I should say, "Get a good agent." Ask friends and relatives for recommendations. And yeah, def ask "Have you ever filed a claim? How did that go?"
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

shermansae wrote:But yea, to clarify, I live in CT and lived in Hawaii before and in both places you can ride a 50cc with no insurance at all and just a regular car driver's license.
Yes, but that doesn't make it a good idea. 50s require no less skill to ride and are no less likely to be involved in accidents than Buddy 125/150s or Stellas.
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

k1dude wrote:My quotes (full year):

$700 Progressive

$500 AAA

$125 Geico

I chose Geico.
I wonder why.....
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I called two different places: Allstate and State Farm.
Allstate wanted $560/year for 50/100/50 liability and $500 deductable comprehensive/collision. State Farm (who my car's insured with) quoted me $240/year for 50/100/50 and $250 deductable comprehensive/collision. Both quotes were for a 150cc engine.

I asked about the gap between the two, and was told that if the only vehicle you're insuring is the motorcycle, you're viewed as high risk. The larger the engine displacement, the higher your premium as well.
Unrelated to my quote difference, but remember that where you live factors into the equation.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

shermansae wrote:I got a quote from Met where I have my car insurance and it was a whopping 400$!!!
Definitely shop around. Met is great for Life Insurance, etc., but I wouldn't use them for any vehicular insurance. Try State Farm, Progressive, Country, GEICO, etc. Get quotes from all of them.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I paid 600 dollars full coverage, state farm, for a buddy. :(

I blame my age :\

They dont do MSF discounts where I got my insurance from, and I cant drive....but mostly my young age is what made the thing so dang expensive.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'm with Esurance; for both my Wife and myself on our 150cc Buddy, it came out to $230ish with comprehensive, ~$200 deductible and the cover accessories. Our home and car insurance (Erie) didn't do motorcycles, so our agent quoted us something from Geico or Progressive. When my wife found esurance's quote and told it to our H/A agent, he told us to take it. They have a plethora of discounts for home ownership, age, driving record, etc even if you aren't insured through them on those other things. The esurance agent was also courteous and she spoke native english, which I thought was a nice touch :p

It definitely pays to shop around. Even if your young, single and without many resources, I wouldn't pay more than $200 a year, unless they're giving you something really awesome in return... like weekly golden unicorn rides or a spell checking garden gnome (don't settle for a lousy statue, get a real gnome, they're less tacky and more....creepy).
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

greencountry wrote:The others in Chicago, I'm interested in what your rates are.
We're with Progressive, got the car, house, trailer, and three bikes with them, and I think we're paying around $220 for both of us for all three bikes. (Vintage Vespa, Vintage Honda MC, and the Blur) I've just dealt with them over the phone and they've been great, they accept appraisals for "stated value" on vintage bikes, they let me switch bikes back and forth on and off the policy (effective immediately) as I repair/break/sell/buy them, they've told me directly that it's OK to ride occasionally on winter layoff.. I'm married, almost 40, totally clean record, homeowner, bikes are garaged, signed a promise I'd wear a helmet, we live in a quiet neighborhood (still in the city, though), get AMA and MSF discounts, winter layoff

But I know others in Chicago (single, young, one bike, lived in risky neighborhoods, no garage) who were getting $800 quotes for one bike, so maybe I'm just lucky to be old and boring. We've been with them for several years now, too, and the rates always been good.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Jenp

Post by Jenp »

In Nashville, TN I pay 180 a year for full coverage at Liberty Mutual. I also have my car with them. My partner pays 168 for full coverage at State Farm. Hers is cheaper because we have a car and two home policies with them. We really like both of them and they have both stood behind us. My company also made it effective that day before I signed anything or paid.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

For the 10 years I was married up until April of this year, I had everything through State Farm. My homeowners, scooters, Jetta & Sienna.

I was paying $18 a month for my scooters through State Farm for the Buddy & my Rally 180. Since I no longer have the Jetta & Sienna and State Farm wanted too much to insure my Suburban when I bought it, I have my auto through Progressive. It is custom from the factory with what they call an incomplete VIN, Progressive allows me to insure it with a stated value.

I am keeping my State Farm scooter insurance as they give me replacement value of the Rally. Due to the rarity and high value of the Rally, it is the only way to go. They did not change my rates when I dropped everything else. If anything happenes to the Buddy or Vespa, I want it replaced not book value.

Now understand that most all motorcycle insurance does not cover medical.
ferfdom

Post by ferfdom »

Just got my insurance today... Added onto my State Farm policy = 100 for the year!
Groovealufagus

Post by Groovealufagus »

Geico.
ellen

Post by ellen »

Don't get online quotes from Geico or Progressive. For some reason, they are silly high. Call them and you'll get a better rate.
I'm with Geico, paying $125 full coverage, $250 deductable and thats with roadside assistance. Though it depends on where you live, driving record, climate (don't ride much in the winter months), garage kept, etc.
Last edited by ellen on Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
louie

Post by louie »

and
progressive will put 2 people in one household on one policy (2 for the price of one) whether you're married or not (you can be a couple of guys, a couple of girls, or one of each). my agant who handles many different companies said progressive is the only one he knows of who does that, as long as you have a decent record.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

I recently switched to Geico after shopping around. They offered the cheapest rate for the same coverage - beating out Liberty Mutual, Progressive, State Farm and Allstate.
I'm in a similar situation as Illinoise - married, older, clean driving record, homeowner, garage, an ever changing collection of vintage bikes.
I was amazed at the difference in rates between the companies. Definitely shop around.
<b>2006 Buddy 125
1974 Honda CB350F
1972 Honda CB350 Twin
1968 Honda S90
1965 Lambretta Li150

1975 Ford Bronco</b>
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Johnny wrote:I recently switched to Geico after shopping around. They offered the cheapest rate for the same coverage - beating out Liberty Mutual, Progressive, State Farm and Allstate.
I'm in a similar situation as Illinoise - married, older, clean driving record, homeowner, garage, an ever changing collection of vintage bikes.
I was amazed at the difference in rates between the companies. Definitely shop around.
+1 for the lizard
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

today i saved $500 on my car insurance by not buying any

(don't harass me, i just already have it) :roll: :wink:
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Geico was considerably cheaper for me than Progressive or Esurance was, but Liberty Mutual beat the snot out of both of 'em on both my Triumph and my Stella. 8)
Huh? What just happened?
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I pay a little over three hundred a year Canadian for my Metro 125--full coverage, hundred dollar deductible. Better than I expected considering I have had a number of not at faults and one at fault in my riding career. Taking a couple of years off from riding put most of them off the insurer's liability history radar this time around.

One good thing about living in a "nanny state" like Quebec is that we don't have to get uninsured driver coverage on our policies. Quebec has a public insurance plan to cover rider injuries and incidental costs in an accident, while actual vehicle damage is covered by your private policy. The public insurance plan payouts aren't stellar...but at least everyone (including pedestrians) is under the policy umbrella. The public plan's premiums are part of your license and vehicle registration fees.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I live south of Tucson, AZ, I'm 72 years old, and I'm insuring my Stella with Progressive for $75 per year. Ditto my 1980 Vespa P200E.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

$81.00 per year, sure to change after I add a 2nd Stella to the mix.

/grins wickedly
truckasaurus

Post by truckasaurus »

$200 per year for my Italia 125 and my wife's pink buddy 50. Coverage includes state (TX) minimums, theft, comprehensive, etc. w. $250 deductible. No coverage for bodily injuries (mine) though. I have USAA and they don't do motorcycles, so they send you to Progressive.
itzhak37

Post by itzhak37 »

The only major insurance company to insure motorcycles or scooters in my area is Geico, and my plan with them is $331/yr for the DC min. req. liability. I checked out a few other, smaller, insurance companies and they all quoted me higher.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

itzhak37 wrote:The only major insurance company to insure motorcycles or scooters in my area is Geico.

State Farm will insure bikes in DC.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
Bobltc

Post by Bobltc »

Progrssive = $80 per year for me
Kurt
Dealer

Post by Kurt »

Ok, I'll throw in my two cents.

Upstate NY, Progressive, three scooters (two 150s and a 250) - $83 a year!

Of course it helps that I'm over 30 and married. And I suspect it helps that I send lots of referrals to my agent. Your mileage will differ, but very few people around here pay much more than $100 a year.
<a href="http://urbanvillagescooters.com">Urban Village Scooters</a>
700 South Clinton Ave.
Rochester, NY 14620
585-643-5540
vantage

Post by vantage »

Make sure they know it is a Genuine Scooter Stella.

My insurance agents could not find it under Stella at first, and it would have fallen in a strange category, then I remembered it was a Genuine Scooter and they found it right away.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It may vary by state. Some may even have it listed under LML, some under GSC, some as just "Stella."
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…