Modern Buddy Starting To Suck?!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

thecarver61

Modern Buddy Starting To Suck?!

Post by thecarver61 »

So, who are we going to attack next? Maybe old people with mobility scooters? How about non-wavers? Or perhaps people that don't wear the same gear as I do? Vespa owners?
I've heard alot about how great MB forums are. I thought so myself but lately have been questioning that idea. I'm about 2 negative topics away from ditching MB.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

ummm... does this count as the first negative topic? :wink:
sotied

Post by sotied »

MikieTaps wrote:ummm... does this count as the first negative topic? :wink:
You just said that for the post count and because it's probably rainy in Seattle and you wanted to push some buttons.

Well listen here mister, the electronic frontier is no place for negativity. Didn't any of you notice when the rift in the friendly tenor of MB knocked gmail off line for about 22 minutes today?

That's right. So shape up. Become more politically correct and don't criticize anyone or anything.

Just to fit in and not make waves, I'm gonna go see if I can put shorts over my leather pants, flip flops over my work boots and a 3/4 helmet, 1/2 helmet and no helmet over my ATGATT.

And I'm gonna install an ornament on the front of Scootle made up of a little windmill. But instead of windmill arms I'm gonna cut the arms off some Evel Knievel dolls and put them there so they're waving all the time at everyone on the road.

I might even be friendly to people on cell phones. As long as they're in jail for the new law I'm going to sponsor about no cell phones in cars.

What? Tangent...what? No...I'm making my point. Concisely, clearly and short.

I've said my piece. Try and argue with that!
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

thecarver61, I don't think the entire site can be characterized by some negative posts. As much as I'm concerned with that sort of tone dominating here as it does on other forums, the solution to this lies in the hands of the membership. We do have certain rules here, but cannot go so far as to enforce positivity without censoring the life out the forum.

Fortunately, these things tend to be cyclical—I think we're actually emerging from a rough spot. I think a lot of it is due old members who don't have any buddy-related questions or comments and are just kind of bored.

But everyone needs to remember that these things affect how the forum as a whole is perceived and how new members will approach it when they begin to post.

Maybe I should look for a forum software mod that would allow members to ignore the posts of select other members.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Well, I know you are trying to avoid this but the forum could go one more step with separating Buddy posts from "NBR" and "NSR" posts by creating another page. Just something to consider if folks continue to perceive a problem.
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

I would say we need more organization/sections

keeps stuff contained and easy to find.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:I would say we need more organization/sections

How is that going to prevent the problems cited by the OP?
Even if we had a NSR/NBR forum, the posting guidelines would still apply. I'm not going to create a separate space here just so some people have a place to rant, be virulent, or spread their ill feelings towards others.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
AxeYrCat

Re: Modern Buddy Starting To Suck?!

Post by AxeYrCat »

thecarver61 wrote:So, who are we going to attack next? Maybe old people with mobility scooters? How about non-wavers? Or perhaps people that don't wear the same gear as I do? Vespa owners?
I've heard alot about how great MB forums are. I thought so myself but lately have been questioning that idea. I'm about 2 negative topics away from ditching MB.

Okay, so you seem to have adopted a screen name based on perhaps one of the worst TV villains of the past decade (started strong, ended very poorly), and as someone who's chosen a bad guy as a title, you're upset that there have been threads talking about people being jerky??

Really?

Wow.

Head on up to America's Roller Coast and blow off some steam — sometimes, some of us need to vent, and sometimes, we do it on the forum because it's stuff that our family or our coworkers wouldn't understand so well.

But hey, if your world is all sunshine, lollipops and rainbows, that's rad, and you're awesome! But beauty is a curse on the world, and sometimes, it sucks when you have to see it when it's not so pretty. :wink:
Huh? What just happened?
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

ericalm wrote:

How is that going to prevent the problems cited by the OP?
Even if we had a NSR/NBR forum, the posting guidelines would still apply. I'm not going to create a separate space here just so some people have a place to rant, be virulent, or spread their ill feelings towards others.
I haven't been here awhile, but I do find the information I need to sufficiently with the Search link. I think when I see NBR/NSR, I know more/less what I'm getting into. Part of what keeps me checking in now and again are these off-topic posts from people. It's like the salt and pepper of the community - it's there to spice it up. I can't imagine hanging around here if everything was all about technical information, how-to's, etc.
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

Eric,

How about a forum for those of us that like to modify and improve performance on our scooters? Maybe other groups instead of just the catch-all 'General Discussion'. Like maybe a forum for new riders with the jitters, hand wavers, and dare devils that ride naked. Half sarcastic and half serious here.
Texas Tornado

Post by Texas Tornado »

Yes!!! that would be perfect. No more sifting through "flip-flops or combat boots" type posts! :D :D
thecarver61

Post by thecarver61 »

Dude! My name is for my interest in wood carving. Amazing! My password is a type of wood. Thankyou Ericalm for your points. I appreciate your effort to keep these forums positive.
Texas Tornado

Post by Texas Tornado »

Is spalted oak a superhero too? :wink:
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

BigColdMartini wrote:Eric,

How about a forum for those of us that like to modify and improve performance on our scooters? .
YES! We could cal it "Post Modern Buddy". :wink:

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Things do get a little negative here from time to time, but MB is surely still among the most friendly and tolerant scooter-related BBS/groups out there. We moderators are happy to pounce on posts that violate the rules, and there's a clear procedure in place to notify us anonymously if you're upset by a thread. In this case, no one notified us, I posted a semiserious warning that accidentally made more of a point than I'd planned to, and then the thread got silly as usual.

Again, we're very diligent/vigilant about shutting down posts that violate the rules and offend people, but on the other hand, we're not children and any list is going to have occasional posts that ruffle some feathers. I'm sure it's no different (probably worse) on kite forums, dollhouse forums, the Anne Murray Appreciation Society, etc. We all have our bad days and we all need to have a bit of a thick skin to get along.

Bb
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

ericalm wrote:Image
What's a can of dirty Cup O'Noodles got to do with this? :lol:
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

:D
Attachments
HTEFW.jpg
HTEFW.jpg (43.28 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronin_000/

"We're just all jealous that you will be able to ride for more than 45 minutes without your butt going numb." - jmazza
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

(Edited and filter turned off: )

The main reason I post here is to represent (Edited and filter turned on:)
a moral guide for the new comers.
(Edited and filter turned off:)

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Kaz

How about a forum for those of us that like to modify and improve performance on our scooters?
Last edited by kazoo on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

AxeYrCat wrote: But hey, if your world is all sunshine, lollipops and rainbows, that's rad, and you're awesome! But beauty is a curse on the world, and sometimes, it sucks when you have to see it when it's not so pretty. :wink:
Here is your sunshine and lollipops slugger! :goofy: (requires quicktime...but it is worth it!)

http://www.thelexfactoryfiles.com/buddy/RideHappy.html

I wonder what happened to sirlexalot?
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

BuddyRaton wrote:
Here is your sunshine and lollipops slugger! :goofy: (requires quicktime...but it is worth it!)

http://www.thelexfactoryfiles.com/buddy/RideHappy.html
Oh my! I love this! :)
Thanks for sharing the link.
~Celebrate~
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BuddyRaton wrote:I wonder what happened to sirlexalot?
I dunno. He lived near me, but I don't think we've crossed paths. He secured his place in Buddy history then disappeared!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I see all the calls to Balkanize the MB and I've read Eric's arguments against. I have a slightly different perspective on the whole argument. My problem with Balkanizing the board stems from my experience as a moderator. As a mod, you sit down at the computer and start trotting through the forums looking for places where you can contribute or where there are problems. It takes time. The more forums there are, the more work it is. It's just a little more work, you say? Well do it 20 times a day, 365 days a year, when you are on vacation, when you are at your family reunion, when you are working under deadline at a paying job or when you are supposed to be doing chores for your SO. Add to that the fact that a Non-Scooter Related Forum will become the neighborhood crackhouse of forums where trouble will start and spill over into the whole community. Add all that up and put yourself in Eric and the Mods' shoes. Would you want to do that to your forum?

It's a lousy idea. Get.Over.It.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

I say this with the utmost sincerity: If MB is giving you fits, take a break for a few days/weeks and then come back. I've noticed the tone changes pretty rapidly.

Another tip: Fight the urge to click on every link. The NSR and NBR labels are gaining some ground and the threads are getting better titles, so you know pretty much what you're getting into.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I think we need a "venting" section, so I know what not to look at. :lol:
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

jrsjr wrote: It takes time. The more forums there are, the more work it is. It's just a little more work, you say? Well do it 20 times a day, 365 days a year, when you are on vacation, when you are at your family reunion, when you are working under deadline at a paying job or when you are supposed to be doing chores for your SO. Add to that the fact that a Non-Scooter Related Forum will become the neighborhood crackhouse of forums where trouble will start and spill over into the whole community. Add all that up and put yourself in Eric and the Mods' shoes. Would you want to do that to your forum?
Where do you mod? I am a 'supermod' at Saabcentral.com. That means I am sure you know, that I can do anything in any of the forums. The Lounge, All model forums, and all mod forums. Then we have a couple guys that only moderate the model and mod forum for a specific model. Guys that own that car. So there's 2 or 3 for each model.
When things get to hectic we.... wait for it.... add another mod. So people can take vacations and live a real life not tied to a BBS every night. I don't feel I ever NEED to check in. People have my back.

It's a lousy idea. Get.Over.It.
It's an idea whose time has come and gone its been so long overdue. Think of the bigger picture. Imagine 3 years from now when (if) MB starts to pull in Saabcentral type numbers: 37,500 members, 122,000 threads, most ever online at one time, 1925 (and this is a SMALL car forum). Picture what your "General Discussiion" forum will look like then. One Buddy related post on the front page of threads and a bunch of, as the moderators call it on SC, dribble.
"Oh but you can search" or just hit "new posts" button. Yea, well wouldn't it be nice for new folks to be able to come to MODERNBUDDY, click on FORUMS and, oh I dunno, see a forum called BUDDY? Makes it easy, doesn't it?
Newbie looking for Buddy info: *Click FORUMS: "hmm, I guess it might be general discus... *click "o nope, they are all taking about plates and stuff in here...."

MB NEEDS a LOUNGE and a SEPERATE BUDDY FORUM.
I will not get over it. Gratuitous smiley: :evil:

*Paid for by the committee to get a freaking lounge in this place already.

For reference: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/index.php?
(I am Clevesaab)
Our system works and works well. All car forums are set up just the same way. Because it's easier? Because everyone else does? No. Because it works.

;)
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Sorry, but as I was reading General Discussion I had another thought that I think is worthy of another post.

Wouldn't MB be better if we had a better place for posts like these: "Portland buddies check in!", "Other Utah Buddy riders?", or "Calling all NE Ohio Buddies!'.

A place where the posts looked more like these: "Calling all Cleveland area SCOOTERS!" or "Salt Lake City RIDERS check in!"?

Can you argue with that??

(This is all in fun and I hope you know this. I am not picking on nor yelling at anyone. But we do need a Lounge ERIC. *snicker)
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

7eregrine wrote:Imagine 3 years from now when (if) MB starts to pull in Saabcentral type numbers: 37,500 members...
Not to propagate an argument, but I seriously doubt this will happen. Hop over to Modern Vespa and take a look at their numbers. After 3+ years, that board, which dwarfs us, has only 8196 users and they do *not*, I note, have a free-for-all forum. I hear your argument loud and clear, but I don't think it's as convincing as you think it is for a board the size of Modern Buddy. If you want to start ModernChaos.com, I suggest you do so.

Thanks!
Last edited by jrsjr on Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

ericalm wrote:Image

I am officially hijacking this photo and using it on the next Gas Thread :twisted:
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

thecarver61 wrote:So, who are we going to attack next? Maybe old people with mobility scooters? How about non-wavers? Or perhaps people that don't wear the same gear as I do? Vespa owners?......
If we are going to vote .... I vote for crotch rockets :wink:
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
MPA

Post by MPA »

Is this where I sign up to hate the old people with mobility scooters? 8)
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

MikieTaps wrote:I am officially hijacking this photo and using it on the next Gas Thread :twisted:
Create a word replacement filter so anytime the word OCTANE is used, they get that :p

And without going through and reading every post... holy cow!?!? Have people really not learned that you can't take the internet too seriously or it's just no fun?

This is one of the tamest, nicest, friendliest boards I've ever been on. You can't control who comes and who goes, you can just try to make the best of it while you can. This is still by far the best source of information and chit chat for Genuine scooters, Buddy's or otherwise.

Eric, I feel your pain. Keep up the good work. :)
Twentyfourskys

Post by Twentyfourskys »

I love MB. I love the diversity of posts and hearing how we are all similar but different in a lot of ways. Keep it up MB!
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

thecarver61 wrote:Dude! My name is for my interest in wood carving. Amazing! My password is a type of wood.
Oh. Well, my apologies for the Carver references, then. :wink:

And I'm sincerely sorry that my venting rant offended your sensibilities. I wasn't trying to irk anyone else, just make myself feel a bit less irked.

Selfish? Yes. But effective? Yes.

And it was also something that some of us could share for a moment...

P.S. If those old people on mobility scooters don't wave back, expect a post about them too!!! :lol:

Especially if it's after hundreds of them invade the streets of my sleepy little city and act like jerks!! :wink:
Huh? What just happened?
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Does anyone have the password to Scooter Daves "My Divorce page"? :lol:
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

AxeYrCat wrote:

P.S. If those old people on mobility scooters don't wave back, expect a post about them too!!! :lol:
hahaha, 100 points for axeyrcat!
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Old people on mobility scooters? Don't get me started. If they're not blocking entire aisles at Costco while gorging themselves on free samples of corn chips and salsa, they're running up the back of my heels, or guilting me out of my place in line at the food court (as though they could still be hungry).

[Disclaimer: the foregoing constitutes an attempt as humor, lame though it may be. My own dad is an old person in a mobility scooter, and he always waves back.]
Clearly.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

jrsjr wrote: Not to propagate an argument, but I seriously doubt this will happen. Hop over to Modern Vespa and take a look at their numbers. After 3+ years, that board, which dwarfs us, has only 8196 users and they do *not*, I note, have a free-for-all forum. I hear your argument loud and clear, but I don't think it's as convincing as you think it is for a board the size of Modern Buddy. If you want to start ModernChaos.com, I suggest you do so.
As someone said "its the internet". I'm not losing sleep it over this. As long as we talk without screaming or getting upset, it's a discussion, not an argument. That's what its all about, yes? :D

Adding ONE forum isn't going to turn us into ModernChaos. If anything it would bring much better organization. Not less.
Car forums, agaurium forums, gaming forums....every forum I have ever been a part of has a place for OFF-TOPIC posts.
DouglasLive

Post by DouglasLive »

7eregrine wrote: MB NEEDS a LOUNGE and a SEPERATE BUDDY FORUM.
I will not get over it. Gratuitous smiley: :evil: )
I'll say it -- the MB moderators don't want to moderate. That's the problem here.

Feel free to ban me.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

:?:
Last edited by Orange Guy on Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

How about a forum for those of us that like to modify and improve performance on our scooters?
+1
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
DouglasLive

Post by DouglasLive »

Orange Guy wrote: And I've been trying to bite my tongue, but please try to look at the main page as a casual newcomer. Give it a quick glance ... "Stella, Blur, Black Cat, Rattler ... did I type in modernbuddy.com?"
Exactly. We ask for a "Buddy" forum, we get a "Stella" forum.

Makes sense?!
Taz

Post by Taz »

As a new visitor here I'd like to add my feedback. I think it would be helpful to have a little more organization here. I frequent a lot of forums for other hobbies and while you don't have to go crazy, it would sure help to have a little more granularity here.

For example I am considering a Buddy 50 2 stroke. I had to wade through a bunch of forums to find the info I was looking for. Even though it was a Buddy, I got more of the info I needed in the Rattler/Roughhouse forum as they are 2 strokes.

So perhaps you could have a 2 stroke forum for them or a motor/mod only section. I would suggest actually a mod section and then have sub categories for motor/body/electric/etc. I think a section broken down by geographical region would be helpful for regional events or to find a quick riding buddy. In the scooter gallery it wouldn't hurt to have it broken down by model at least at a high level.

Quite honestly this site was one of the more difficult ones to find relevant information quickly. OTOH people were very helpful here when I asked questions. I tend to be a self-serve type of person so I don't ask unless I can't find what I am looking for in a reasonable amount of time.

A lot of you old timers here know where to find stuff. Some things are quite as intuitive or you have to wade through a lot to find what you are looking for.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Even the Honda Metro forum which is slightly larger than us has a lounge, for the "we aren't big enough to warrant one" comment. ;)

http://www.urbanscootin.com/forum/
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

DouglasLive wrote:
7eregrine wrote: MB NEEDS a LOUNGE and a SEPERATE BUDDY FORUM.
I will not get over it. Gratuitous smiley: :evil: )
I'll say it -- the MB moderators don't want to moderate. That's the problem here.

Feel free to ban me.
You're outta here, buddy. : )

The moderators have jobs and children and don't read every post. Our rules are clear and well-written, IMHO. We are sometimes guilty of letting things slide rather than making a big deal about a post and attracting MORE attention to it, but if even one user notifies us (with the "!" button) we address it, usually very promptly.

On the other hand, we're not here to babysit and wrap bubblewrap around everything. This list is amazingly civil and polite by internet standards. If this list is too "out there" for you, I'm sorry, but we can only make it so tame. I don't think anyone's interested in a fascist-nanny-state Modern Buddy.

As far as adding more categories, that's 100% Eric's decision. You're all welcome to petition for what you like, but it's up to him. He and I and the other mods have (sadly) a lot (too much) experience on chat and groups and boards, so rest assured he's thinking it through and not making these decisions lightly.

Bb.
DouglasLive

Post by DouglasLive »

illnoise wrote:I don't think anyone's interested in a fascist-nanny-state Modern Buddy.
Why does it always come to this? Some feel it's either "unlimited freedom" or "total fascism" here on MB. Why is there no in-between?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Here's an idea, if you're interested in making things easier to find for a certain subject, start a new thread, and link up every thread related to that subject, with a summary for each link. That puts all the info in one thread, and good threads tend to bump to the top frequently over time. If that thread is so big and so helpful, it will make a good case for bumping all those threads into a new topic.

I think a tuning thread would maybe be helpful, but you're still dealing with six or seven models in that one thread, some information overlaps, some doesn't. Having the tuning info within the model thread makes more sense to me.

What if we renamed "General Discussion" as "Buddy Discussion?" I don't know how Eric feels about that, but it's a thought. Starting a new thread for the Buddy doesn't make sense because we already have years of info in that thread.

As far as a non-buddy or non-scooter related thread, I've NEVER seen that work on the dozens of forums I'm on, especially when it was added later. Sometimes, if it's there from the start, it works. The problem is, no one reads it, so no one posts there, and the NSR/NBR posts still get posted in the other forums.

Splitting Buddy 50s and Buddy 125 into two different rooms just doesn't make sense to me at all. Sure there are major mechanical differences, but the majority of Buddy posts cover both, should we start an orange buddy room and a sunset buddy room? (some would surely say yes, ha) It just reduces the amount of communication we have with each other. I don't have a Buddy, I have a Blur, If I only read/post in the Blur section, I'd miss a lot of good information AND friendship.

Bb.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

illnoise wrote: He and I and the other mods have (sadly) a lot (too much) experience on chat and groups and boards, so rest assured he's thinking it through and not making these decisions lightly.
LOL Oh, I am sure you guys are discussing this in your super secret mod forum. 8)

Many of us have a ton of experience as well with groups and bbs's and forums. Remember BBS's? ;)
If you do have that much experience with it then you would probably agree with those of us wanting a lounge because you've seen them in all the forums you hang out on.... except this one. ;)

Much love. ;)
standup

Post by standup »

It's interesting that the people most vocal about adding more categories are the "modifiers".

I think that most people believe that most people would agree with their own view, since in their opinion it's perfectly reasonable.

So, because I enjoy the "chaff" and the flow of weirdness mixed with information, I assume others do too.

If you only want technical mod information about the particular scooter you have, you probably tend to believe that's what others want to.

My vote, not that we're voting here, is to leave it the way it is, and encourage people to mark their posts NBR NSR etc.
beagldog

Post by beagldog »

This is ridiculous. You can choose to either read the posts or not-as for me, I think I will stop reading the posts and just stick to riding my Genuine Buddy Scooter. See you later MB :evil: