NBR Is this a trend - meant to be light hearted

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KCScooterDude

NBR Is this a trend - meant to be light hearted

Post by KCScooterDude »

As a person of considerable size (6 foot, 250) I feel I can post this in the spirit it is intended:

Almost daily, I see another middle-aged man of size (Clydesdales, as the mountain bikers call them) on a 1970s or early '80s smallish Honda or other Japanese bike.

My theory is that there are a lot of guys out there that retired their little Honda 20 years ago and the current trend in gas prices has led them to dig the bikes out of their garage.

Far from poking fun at these people, I celebrate them. And, I think it says something about the quality of these bikes that they can be made road worthy after all these years.

Again, I hope everyone takes this post in the spirit it was intended.

Anyone else notice this trend?
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

I've noticed a bunch more motorcycles on the road with big riders on sub 700cc bikes. I think it may be due to the fact that it may be their first bike and they just weren't comfortable with a bigger engine or crotch rocket. There are so many choices that it can be overwhelming and some dealers only have smaller bikes left in stock. By the time you order one and take delivery it could be the middle of winter.

To me they look like those bears at the circus that ride the bicycles. Huge body atop a small little cycle frame.
runtotorun121

Re: NBR Is this a trend - meant to be light hearted

Post by runtotorun121 »

KCScooterDude wrote:As a person of considerable size (6 foot, 250) I feel I can post this in the spirit it is intended:

Almost daily, I see another middle-aged man of size (Clydesdales, as the mountain bikers call them) on a 1970s or early '80s smallish Honda or other Japanese bike.

My theory is that there are a lot of guys out there that retired their little Honda 20 years ago and the current trend in gas prices has led them to dig the bikes out of their garage.

Far from poking fun at these people, I celebrate them. And, I think it says something about the quality of these bikes that they can be made road worthy after all these years.

Again, I hope everyone takes this post in the spirit it was intended.

Anyone else notice this trend?
Well while my husband is not big enough to be a Clydesdale you know he may be in the middle-aged :P vicinity rides our '72 Honda, but he has been riding it before the gas price issue. We prefer vintage bikes, and when we bought this one we bought it because it was in pretty good condition so he could ride it but also provided the 'fun' (although sometimes I think he wonders exactly how 'fun' it is! :wink: ) of working on the bike. Also, as I mentioned in another post, he has a beautiful Triumph Bonneville, but it is just not as manueverable or fun to ride during our rides here. It really is a highway bike.

Can't speak for anyone else, but that's our story and we're stickin' to it! :)
~Celebrate~
1cyl

Post by 1cyl »

Where I work, in the Midwest, I see a shortage of scooters AND small displacement (250-650cc) motorcycles. There seems to be plenty of 900, 1000, and 1400 cc motorcycles to go around. :shock:

So, if any "Clydesdales", as you call 'em, feel uncomfortable on too small of a bike... PM me! :D
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

1cyl wrote:Where I work, in the Midwest, I see a shortage of scooters AND small displacement (250-650cc) motorcycles. There seems to be plenty of 900, 1000, and 1400 cc motorcycles to go around. :shock:

So, if any "Clydesdales", as you call 'em, feel uncomfortable on too small of a bike... PM me! :D
LOL! :rofl: I was reading your post, and before I got to the end I was thinking of adding for kcscooterdude that another recent occurrence is that those bikes are rapidly disappearing off the market (e.g. our local Craigslist) and the ones that are coming up for sale are increasing in price. :shock:
~Celebrate~
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I am "of size" and I probably look like one of those Guinness Book fat twin when I ride my Primavera, but I don't care, I'm havin' fun.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

illnoise wrote:I am "of size" and I probably look like one of those Guinness Book fat twin when I ride my Primavera, but I don't care, I'm havin' fun.

Bb.
Dude, more power to you! I say go with what you like, regardless of what other people might think! :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

illnoise wrote:I am "of size" and I probably look like one of those Guinness Book fat twin when I ride my Primavera, but I don't care, I'm havin' fun.

Bb.
I actually feel that way when I ride the pink Buddy. I don't care how it looks. (Or, rather, I don't want to know…)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
naptime

Post by naptime »

i'm 5'10 and 220 pounds.

with my helmet on i look like an overweight bobble head.

on the scooter i most certainly look like the circus bears on bicycles...

i have a few friends who keep telling me i look goofy or gay, or whatever color adjectives they come up with each day....

i tell them i'm fine with that.....

at 110+ mpg, they can make fun of me all day!!

all i know is that my weekly commute normally was 80 bucks in my truck. the past week i have put a mere 12 into the buddy. AND i drove it on a 120 mile round trip sunday. not to mention i've put 350 miles on it so far...

sorry to stray...

back on topic...

i keep seeing a lot of overweight middle aged guys around town on old 80's bikes, and i just told asia (my daughter) yesterday the same thing.. we were riding and we saw a guy at an intersection, and i said "he probably pulled that out of the back of his garage where its been sitting for 25 years, when gas hit 4 bucks a gallon!"
armacham

Post by armacham »

skullmechanic

Post by skullmechanic »

KCScooterDude wrote:As a person of considerable size (6 foot, 250) I feel I can post this in the spirit it is intended.
Hey 'Dude! I can relate to those dimensions. When we were trying on the scooters at the scooter store, I did ask my 16-year-old daughter if I looked like a "doofus" on them. She appropriately responded, "No Daddy, you look good!" What a wonderful daughter!

Today, my 19-year-old son said, "Dad, you're a big man." When I asked him if he wanted me to take him 2 up on our Buddy to pick up his car. Enough said...

I know who I like best today... :wink:
Last edited by skullmechanic on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

Since they're both wearing cowboy hats I'm just glad those aren't horses.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

skullmechanic wrote:
KCScooterDude wrote:As a person of considerable size (6 foot, 250) I feel I can post this in the spirit it is intended.
Hey 'Dude! I can relate to those dimensions. When we were trying on the scooters at the scooter store, I did ask my 16-year-old daughter if I looked like a "doofus" on them. She appropriately responded, "No Daddy, you look good!" What a wonderful daughter!

Today, my 19-year-old son said, "Dad, you're a big man." When I asked him if he wanted me to take him 2 up on our Buddy to pick up his car. Enough said...

Personally, when I get on a bike I ask my wife if I pass the Shriner test.
Attachments
shriner.jpg
shriner.jpg (39.13 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
skullmechanic

Post by skullmechanic »

KCScooterDude wrote:Personally, when I get on a bike I ask my wife if I pass the Shriner test.
What does she say? 8)
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

KCScooterDude wrote:
skullmechanic wrote:

Personally, when I get on a bike I ask my wife if I pass the Shriner test.
And if being a Shriner doesn't work out for you, you can always try this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRrAuANhdvY.

I say whip it, whip it good!!!
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

skullmechanic wrote:
KCScooterDude wrote:Personally, when I get on a bike I ask my wife if I pass the Shriner test.
What does she say? 8)
Same thing I say when she asks me, "Does my a@@ look fat in this?" :twisted:
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

whoops - look like my photo link doesnt work - never mind
Last edited by ScootLemont on Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Bb.
Ditto, dude! We should dress alike and go on a sweet ride together. :P
ModBud #442
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ericalm wrote:I actually feel that way when I ride the pink Buddy. I don't care how it looks. (Or, rather, I don't want to know…)
ModBud #442