What's the QUIETEST HELMET?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KRUSTYburger

What's the QUIETEST HELMET?

Post by KRUSTYburger »

So, I never noticed how much wind noise my helmet produces until I used someone else's helmet one time... So who on here has this all figured out? Have a REALLY quiet helmet? Please share. My helmet it pretty dinged up, so I'd like to be able to hear the road better if I get a new one.

Thanks in advance! :mrgreen:
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

My HJC 14 is pretty darned quiet. When I ride with the face shield opened to the first stop it is a bit windy but still quiet. Its quiet enough with the shield closed that I don't need ear plugs.
I'm glad you started this as I'm going to be buying again soon and want a helmet at least as quiet if not more so.
docutech

Post by docutech »

Shoei RF1000

Pure sex!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

docutech wrote:Shoei RF1000

Pure sex!
For 400+ bucks it had better be SOMETHING! :shock:
docutech

Post by docutech »

If you get an opportunity to wear one (at a dealer or elswhere) do so. You will understand. I am seriously considering an upgrade from my HJC CL15
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I've been considering a new quieter helmet myself.

I like my helmet but it's really loud when moving. I think the flip-up visor is the culprit for the noise.

While I should think to myself, "Hey, $400 for keeping my brain safe is a bargin", I am instead questioning the cost.

Is there any other helmet with a slightly lower price tag that is "pure sex" and quiet. ?
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I know it's not the KBC VR-1x. It's decently quiet but I have a feeling there are many that are quieter.

I hear you alienmeatsack about the fact that it should feel like a bargain to spend $400 to protect your melon but I'm sure there's something equally good for less.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Wait until the new Shoei RF model comes out and grab an old one when they're on sale.

I have an RF800 and I've always been very happy with it. It's a few years old and it doesn't even smell too bad yet. No deterioration at all. I've had to replace the visor a couple times, of course.

I need a new one soon.

I think the high-end helmets are a bit overpriced, but they are generally more comfortable and quieter.

Now if someone would just do some decent graphics. I can't believe people pay a hundred bucks extra for the stupid stuff they print on helmets. Helmet graphics are trapped in 1988. Someone just needs to hire one skateboard designer and they'll dominate the helmet market in six months.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

illnoise wrote: Now if someone would just do some decent graphics. I can't believe people pay a hundred bucks extra for the stupid stuff they print on helmets. Helmet graphics are trapped in 1988. Someone just needs to hire one skateboard designer and they'll dominate the helmet market in six months.

Bb.
Word. Why is that?? I mean why are there only a handful of helmets with any amount of style to them?
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I just want a nice 2 tone with colors I pick. That is quiet and comfy. And doesn't break the bank. And comes with a hot woman to date.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

alienmeatsack wrote:I just want a nice 2 tone with colors I pick. That is quiet and comfy. And doesn't break the bank. And comes with a hot woman to date.
And pizza? :lol:
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Pizza? I'm not that greedy!
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

KRUSTYburger wrote:

Pure sex!
For 400+ bucks it had better be SOMETHING! :shock:
I bought my gray pearl RF1000 for $273 at a local moto shop in Denver. Even at my Ducati dealership, a solid RF is only a little over $300.

Quiet has a lot to do with fit so one person's quiet may not be yours. I owned a Shark RSX for a few days and found it to be the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. But, the neck roll at the back of the helmet was a bit loose for my neck, creating a draft along with a hellish amount of noise. It was unbearable.

Find a helmet that fits snugly all around your head. Also look for the least amount of crap tacked onto the outside of the shell (vent buttons, spoilers, etc.). You'll usually wind up with a quieter helmet this way.

My RF1000 is my favorite helmet because it's comfy, light, beautiful quality and relatively quiet. It also has the best shield mounting system I've ever seen. However, my Scorpion EXO400 is quieter.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Pure sex!
Hmmm, uhhh, do you wear this helmet in your home?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

DennisD wrote:

Pure sex!
You know, DennisD, that's a good question.

And along those lines, when one says a helmet is "pure sex..." does that mean that said person wants to have sex WITH the helmet, or perhaps just NEAR the helmet??
sunbunny

Post by sunbunny »

jmazza wrote:
DennisD wrote:

Pure sex!
You know, DennisD, that's a good question.

And along those lines, when one says a helmet is "pure sex..." does that mean that said person wants to have sex WITH the helmet, or perhaps just NEAR the helmet??
Maybe its wild, and you need a helmet on? Then I'd like one thats cool instead of quite. Not worth passing out over heat stroke!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

jmazza wrote:
illnoise wrote: Now if someone would just do some decent graphics. I can't believe people pay a hundred bucks extra for the stupid stuff they print on helmets. Helmet graphics are trapped in 1988. Someone just needs to hire one skateboard designer and they'll dominate the helmet market in six months.

Bb.
Word. Why is that?? I mean why are there only a handful of helmets with any amount of style to them?
On the low end, it's because they're cheap and coming out of asia, which is decades behind us, designwise, although I've seen a lot of really cheap helmets with better graphics than Shoei/Arai/etc.

On the expensive end, it's because for some reason everyone in the motorcycle world has been bowing at the altar of Troy Lee, who's a third-rate airbrush hack, for the last 20 years, and it's time to stop. It's also because your typical sportbike rider has no aesthetic taste, and/or their fashion sensibility is trapped in the early 90s along with Troy Lee. The bike graphics are just as bad. The better-looking sportbikes (aprilia/ducati/Agusta/etc) are all solid colors, so people probably buy solid color helmets.

There are lots of nice-looking helmets coming out of Europe, but they're all form over function, mostly half helmets and leather trim and matte rubber coatings that dont' seem like a good idea to me. And they're even more expensive than the top-of-the-line Arais and Shoeis.

Arai's Read replica is the only graphic helmet I'd buy from Arai or Shoei in the last ten years. It must sell well (at $400+) because they've been making it for ages now.

In an industry that pushes customers to replace their products so often, and comes out with new models so often, you'd have to think they could stay caught up with design trends if they wanted to. And you know if they're charging $100 extra for graphics helmets over plain helmets, they can afford a decent designer.

Bb.

Bb.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Ear plugs. Cheap foam ones from any sporting goods store will be quieter than the most expensive helmet out there.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

olhogrider wrote:Ear plugs. Cheap foam ones from any sporting goods store will be quieter than the most expensive helmet out there.
This is unintentionally deceptive. Sure, earplugs help and I always wear them when I know my speeds will exceed 45 mph. But, you can't say one size fits all, just like one size of helmet does not fit all. I've tried all sort of off the shelf ear plugs and out of maybe 8 different types and styles I've found one pair that's effective. Everyone's ear canals are different so plugs will achieve varying degrees of effectiveness. I'm just about to the point where I'm going to give in and get a custom-fitted pair, which is just about as expensive as a decent helmet.

This is just my opinion, but for ear plugs to be truly at their best, you also need a good fitting aerodynamic helmet with minimal air leaks.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

(Cue discussion on safety aspects of wearing earplugs while riding.) I might think about it if the white noise was making me batty on a long interstate trip, but in the city, I wanna hear what's about to hit me.

Actually, I probably wouldn't, because earlplugs just make my tinnitus louder. Damn you, Steve Albini.

Bb.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

illnoise wrote:Damn you, Steve Albini.
I heard that! :x
Last edited by polianarchy on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ModBud #442
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i kinda second the wanting to hear what is gonna hit me... except i listen to my ipod... :roll: so apparently i dont care or want to hear what is about to hit me. Maybe its because I am usually going faster, and doing the passing and stupid maneuvers in downtown traffic, so I would be the one to hit someone else... :twisted:
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I have the less expensive HJC & I think it is very quiet - actually a little too quiet as it is hard to hear traffic when I am wearing it.
But I realize we are talking about wind noise
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

gt1000 wrote:I'm just about to the point where I'm going to give in and get a custom-fitted pair, which is just about as expensive as a decent helmet.
I have a pair of custom molded ear plugs (not for riding, I have tubes in my ears so my excess brain fluid can leak out. I only wear the custom plugs in the shower or while swimming.......OOOPs, sorry ladies, now all you can think about is me in the shower) anyway, the custom plugs block out tons of sound, but are not very comfortable. Thats all I have to say about that.
old and in the way

helmet noise vs PRICE

Post by old and in the way »

Don't know much about diff. brands and or styles as Ijust bought my first one in years ,what a differnce 20 years or so will make !!!!!! So many choices !!!And $$$$$$$!!!!! Local Ducati dealer only place I went ,with whole room full!!!85.00 -400.00+$!!!! Every thing from salid bowl to darth vader---looking for retro look in keeping with my new Buddy 125 Italia and ventage spanish leather,double breasted with belt,full length,(BROWN,not black!) trench coat. Tried bowl ,felt top heavy and fit poorley but cheep :? tried Scorpion (not sure of model#) half helmet with snap on visor and flip down eye shild,zip out ear and neck padding .Very confortable and well designed and from the few rides I've taken( up to 35 mph. or so ) very quiet!!!but I can hear very well with out takeing it off for conversation, with padding in. White was color choice which was o. k. with me for visabilaty !!!!sides I plan to add my own graphics latter.Looks verry much like Ca. C.H.P. gear in present form except verry cool retro looking "S" (soft,rounded,scholoped edges),the only ornamentaion,in the front. I paid about 128.00 and cleark said it was agreat buy at the price !!! He had GREAT tatoos so I believe him,and I am very happy it did not cost me 400+$ to get a good brain bucket!!!! :D ###!!!!! :D :D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

My favorite site for reading reviews of helmets remains webbikeworld.
illnoise wrote:In an industry that pushes customers to replace their products so often, and comes out with new models so often, you'd have to think they could stay caught up with design trends if they wanted to. And you know if they're charging $100 extra for graphics helmets over plain helmets, they can afford a decent designer.
They're not only keeping themselves stuck in the '80s or whatever, they're keeping their customers stuck there, too. Most of the gear companies are just as bad. Pitiful.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ericalm wrote:My favorite site for reading reviews of helmets remains webbikeworld.
Unfortunately, the helmet they deem "world's quietest" would have to be imported and will set you back $530: Schuberth R1.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…