Windshield noise

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sbebenelli

Windshield noise

Post by sbebenelli »

I just got this http://www.scooterworks.com/Windscreen_ ... 37C291.cfm windshield and installed it tonight. When done I took it for a ride. I immediately noticed it had a terrible wind noise. It was so bad it hurt my head and would've gave me a headache. I tried moving my head around to see if that helped and the only time it did is if I lowered it with my eyes about to the top of the windshield. I've looked at all the pictures in the gallery thread and I have it installed just like everyone else. I notice some have it almost touching the headlight pod and others have it up 1/2" or so. Does raising or lowering that small amount help? Has anyone else noticed this after installing a windshield? I'm 5'9". Not super tall or short. Average I would guess. I assume this isn't the norm. If it is I'll be taking it off asap.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Some of this is normal—depending on your height and proportions, the shield could be redirecting airflow right to your head. Raising or lowering will change that some, but may not totally eliminate it. Most people just get used to it, but it sounds like you're getting blasted.

This shield is actually tall enough that you could cut it down a couple inches, which may move the airflow down to your chest.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

My wind noise stayed the same after I installed my windshield (same one you installed). Im 5'10". I wore earplugs before the windshield, I wear earplugs now. When I switch to a full face helmet once the temps drop a bit, it won't be an issue.....
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

I wear a full face now. I raised it this morning before work about 1/2". It might have been better but still annoying. I'll just have to play around with it and see what happens.

With the lack of response I assume most don't notice as much a difference as I seem too.
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

I have not noticed a terrible wind noise from the windshield. Like you I have the Cuppini short windshield. I am 5’ 10” and my chin is just above the top of the windshield so I thought that the windshield would direct a lot of wind into my face but I have not noticed an excessive amount of wind. It might help if you post a picture of your windshield.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

hcstrider wrote:I have not noticed a terrible wind noise from the windshield. Like you I have the Cuppini short windshield. I am 5’ 10” and my chin is just above the top of the windshield so I thought that the windshield would direct a lot of wind into my face but I have not noticed an excessive amount of wind. It might help if you post a picture of your windshield.
Do you have that Cuppini on your '06? That shield was shorter and a different shape.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

ericalm wrote:
hcstrider wrote:I have not noticed a terrible wind noise from the windshield. Like you I have the Cuppini short windshield. I am 5’ 10” and my chin is just above the top of the windshield so I thought that the windshield would direct a lot of wind into my face but I have not noticed an excessive amount of wind. It might help if you post a picture of your windshield.
Do you have that Cuppini on your '06? That shield was shorter and a different shape.
On both my '06 and '07 Buddy I have the WSBUD3 Cuppini short windshield installed which is the same windshield that sbebenelli is talking about.

The original WSBUD1 Cuppini windshield was shorter and it only fit the '06 Buddys. I did not like the look of the WSBUD1 because it looked too short therefore I installed the "larger" WSBUD3 Cuppini short windshield on my '06. There is a slightly larger gap between the windshield and the Buddy headset because the '06 Buddy headset is smaller than more recent Buddy models.
Wayne
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

I had chance to ride it more tonight. It is a roaring noise. Kind of low pitched I guess you would say. It gets on one's nerves. It gets better if I move back further on the seat. I wear a full face and if I flip the visor up one click the wind blows directly in. I'm not sure if one could stand to drive it without a helmet. I don't know if my helmet is causing this noise like it's not compatible with the windshield if that's possible. I'd like to tip it back or forward some to see if that help but it doesn't seem adjustable that way.
applejackATL

Post by applejackATL »

Well this review of the windshield is a bummer. I ordered the same windshield about a month ago (still on back order). You said you got yours deliverd within the last week correct? Hopefully I will get mine soon then and I can post my feedback. How long ago did you order yours? We are about the same stature.

I haven't read any negative reviews about this windshield until your post so I thought I made a good choice. I guess we'll see.
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

applejackATL wrote:Well this review of the windshield is a bummer. I ordered the same windshield about a month ago (still on back order). You said you got yours deliverd within the last week correct? Hopefully I will get mine soon then and I can post my feedback. How long ago did you order yours? We are about the same stature.

I haven't read any negative reviews about this windshield until your post so I thought I made a good choice. I guess we'll see.
I got it from Pride Of Cleveland Scooters. They had them in stock. Give them a call. I got it two days after ordering.

I haven't read any negative either so maybe it's just me. I can be anal about things. I haven't gave up on it yet.

I've thought about cuting some off and would if I knew for sure it would take care of it BUT I'd hate to do that and still have the same issue. At this point I feel I can recover most of my money on it if I decide to sell it. Once cut I would assume it's not worth much then.

http://www.clevelandscooters.com/
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

well… a lot of people own this windshield, but as with all shields a period of adjustment and your personal preferences definitely come into play. over on ModernVespa, some members have been through multiple windshields before finding the one with the best height for them. Others bought a tall one and cut to optimal height.

I suppose the additional noise may be too much for some riders, too. I say give it some time and see if you adjust to it. You may not, in which case you might have to wait until a shorter sport screen is available (if ever).
applejackATL

Post by applejackATL »

Just ordered it. Thanks for the assist! Hopefully I'll get my windshield this week. I'll post my feedback asap. Thanks again.

Applejack
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

I couldn't stand it. I cut 2" off the windshield. I haven't rode it yet, so I can't say if it changed anything. I do think it looks better.

Last edited by sbebenelli on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Well—good job on the cutting, at least! i think it looks better than stock.

Let us know how it works out for you. you will still be getting more of a blast focused on you, it just may migrate down so will hopefully reduce t he noise.
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

ericalm wrote:Well—good job on the cutting, at least! i think it looks better than stock.

Let us know how it works out for you. you will still be getting more of a blast focused on you, it just may migrate down so will hopefully reduce t he noise.
Thanks for the complement.

I have a wood shop so I have tools that made it easy to do. I have 4" masking tape that I covered it with to prevent scratches. Drew the line where I wanted to cut. I used a scroll saw to cut close to the line. I used a belt sander and sanded to the line. Then I took a file and chamfered the edges to match the factory edge.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Wow! It does look great!!!

So great that if it still doesn't work out for ya, PM me and I will take it off your hands!!
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

Kudos to you, you did an excellent job of cutting down your windshield. I hope that the new height works better for you in decreasing the wind noise from the windshield. The mounting brackets and windshield on my Buddy is installed exactly like yours but for some reason I do not notice the noise. My wife claims that I need to have my hearing checked because I don’t hear 90% of the stuff she tells me … maybe she is right?
Wayne
skullmechanic

Post by skullmechanic »

sbebenelli wrote:I took a file and chamfered the edges to match the factory edge.
I have loads of respect for anyone who chamfers anything... Nice work, chief.
skullmechanic

Post by skullmechanic »

hcstrider wrote:My wife claims that I need to have my hearing checked because I don’t hear 90% of the stuff she tells me … maybe she is right?
When my wife says that i just say, "What?"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

So, sbebenelli— how's the noise now?
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

ericalm wrote:So, sbebenelli— how's the noise now?
I'll know more tomorrow. I just haven't had a chance to ride it.
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

ericalm wrote:So, sbebenelli— how's the noise now?
I finely got a chance to give it a good ride. This is my observation of the windshield....

Before I cut it I experienced a rumbling almost vibrating noise. It would give me a headache if I would drive it much. This was at speeds 20-35 mph. I never had a chance to go faster than that before I cut it. After cutting it that vibrating type feeling isn't there but without a doubt the windshield is noisier than without one. I don't understand why others haven't felt this way but it is no doubt about it. You flat out here more wind noise. The plus of the windshield is it keeps all that wind from hitting you head on. It makes a huge difference that way. I had it on a stretch of road that is 55 and I didn't feel any wind hitting me in the chest. That was alot nicer.

For me it's a trade off. I haven't decided what way I'm going to go. I'm going to leave it on for now. I like the looks, especially after cutting it down a bit. I also noticed some bugs on it that would otherwise been on me or my visor.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

No, everyone experiences more noise with a windshield. You just might be more attuned to it, or maybe you'll just get used to it. For me, the benefits of having one outweighed any noise issues, which I hardly noticed after regularly riding with it for a week or so.

It was very much the same with changing to different types of helmets—half to 3/4 to modular—each of which decreased my ability to hear what was gong on around me. Took a lot of getting used to but now it seems very natural.
armacham

Post by armacham »

I've ridden my girlfriend's 125 without a windshield. Compared to my Italia ,which has a windshield, there is a lot less noise, and a little bit more air gets through the vents in my helmet. On the other hand, without a windshield, you can feel the wind buffeting your chest and trying to push you off when you get going more than about 35 mph.
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

I just came back from a 70 mile ride in the mountains and I noticed that my windshield does cause a lot of noise. I experimented with crouching behind the windshield and it was a lot quieter. Even with ear plugs, if there is a slight cross wind (which there almost always is in the mountains), it's really noisy riding. I now use ear plugs - they help some but it's still annoying. I am looking at buying a FFH which may or may not help...

Arrggg. I like the windshield, I don't like the noise.

PasadenaSue
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Still waiting for my windshield to come in but I alrady use a FF and now I have started using earplugs. The two combined make a big difference in the noise level. I can still hear cars and such, muffled but still hear them, but the wind noise is almost non existant with the plugs in. It really is amazing so hopefuly when I get my windshield they plugs and FF will keep the noise down to tolerable levels.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

When I first installed the windshield on our 07 Buddy it just wasn't right. Noisy and a good bit of wind blast. I loosened it and wiggled everything until it was raised and angled back slightly. I think the angling back did more to make it better than anything else. You might want to try that before cutting it.
I am 6' and my wife is 5'4" and it works well for both of us. I wear a full face all the time and open the face shield to the first click sometimes. It hasn't been a problem as far as wind or noise goes with the shield cracked open.

applejackATL

Post by applejackATL »

I just installed the Cuppini short windshield and was eager to see if I would have the same "wind noise" issue. On my first test drive I had the windshield installed so that there was a only a very small gap between the windshield and buddy. The wind noise was pretty bad. I liken it to the sound some cars make when you have one window down while driving fast. Sort of like a helicopter. Anyway, I then positioned the windshield as high as it would go. The noise isn't nearly as bad at this postition (for me anyway). But the gap is pretty big and I'm thinking it will be drafty once it's colder.

But I know what you're talking about now. I couldn't ride with that noise or really more of a pressure on my ears for long.

Applejack
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Is this still an issue for people, is it just the Cuppini's? I am thinking of going the windscreen route again and don't want that noise. It would drive me nuts.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote:Is this still an issue for people, is it just the Cuppini's? I am thinking of going the windscreen route again and don't want that noise. It would drive me nuts.
You'll experience this to some degree on all windshields, depending on the size, your height and riding position. The shields redirect the flow of air and for a lot of riders, it will be more focused around their helmets.

This may not be as much of an issue for a tall windshield, but I think those are a little much for the Buddy unless you live and scoot in the coldest climates during winter. The tall shields do have problems with buffeting, maintaining stability and so on that the small and mid-sized shields do not.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Mine forced the wind into my face or neck and face when I lowered it. I could not find a good fit and took to wearing ear plugs with my helmet. It worked, but didn't care for the ear plugs so I sold the windshield. For some it works great and for others not so good. I went to a medium Prima shield and have liked it better and have kept it as well. The Med Prima does create a bit of a wind draft that pulls on the front of my jacket. I considered it better than no windshield or using the short windshield. Doesn't look as nice but works for me.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
RonF

Post by RonF »

peabody99 wrote:Is this still an issue for people, is it just the Cuppini's? I am thinking of going the windscreen route again and don't want that noise. It would drive me nuts.
I'm 6' 0" and I installed the Prima medium windscreen last week that I ordered July 7th that finally arrived from ScooterWorks.

Personally I found the noise to be much less now with the windscreen on my scoot than before. The only time its louder is when I sit up as high as I can stretch, then I hear a low, loud sound on my helmet.

The first day after I installed it we got our first cold day of the fall and the wind was really blowing out of the north. I was driving into it to work that morning and was soooo glad if finally arrived the night before.
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

Wow - I never considered that it would amplify the sound...I'm not using any windscreen right now, but today I was agonizing over the fact that I cannot go faster than 59 GPS-mph, and thinking a windscreen might give me a few more mph. Sounds like it's not really worth it.

I used to have a nice F150...installed headers and some nice pipes...and couldn't stand driving any faster than 45mph. The sound made my stomach sick...traded for Flow Masters, and the problem went away...but sometimes the frequency of the sound will give you headaches or make you sick. Ugh.

For what it's worth, I use a 707 Full Face, snell dot helmet, and I use the removable parts on the bottom of the helmet to keep the wind out from around my neck, and I have no trouble whatsoever with wind noise - unless I open my face shield - it will whistle. But I usually only open it at lights. I do keep both vents open at all times, too. I wouldn't even think of needing plugs, so I find that very interesting. Maybe it's the specific way wind is coming over the shield and hitting your helmet?
Cya!
Mark Turkel
http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com
http://www.BeGreenSaveTheWorld.com

Genuine Buddy 125cc
Powder Blue - (Yes, I picked "that" color cause I likes it!)

Like someone else said "Saving Gas and Sticking it to the Man!"
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

We don't have a screen on the Buddy yet, but on the motorcycle, and most motorcycles except Harleys that need onboard cigerbutt smoking and radios blasting, windshields need a bit of adjusting to get the wind stream in the correct position. You are not going to be totally out of the air. The idea is to get the air stream near head level so your chest is not taking the blast. And you want to be looking over the screen, not through it, unless of course you have that Harley with the sail of a windshield.

Atleast that is my experience and opinion.

I switch between the windscreened bike and others with none, and I don't notice any objectionable noise nor buffetting, but it did take adjusting of both the height and the angle of the shield.

But there are bad windshield designs that need a laminar lip applied to change the air flow: http://www.webbikeworld.com/laminar-lip/

There is another test that you might try. I notice much louder windnoise if I have my helmet vents open as opposed to closed. Try that.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

I believe the shape and tilt(or no tilt) of the windscreens have a lot to do with the noise levels.I used to own 2 Derbi scooters and on one I had the PUIG screen and the other one a generic screen.Big difference in noise level between the two.The PUIG was made from the factory with more swept shape to it.It also tilted more than the generic.The generic was more like a wall and had virtually no aerodynamic to it.Lastly the PUIG I had,had another plus,it helped my MPG & MPH.
Last edited by BuddyLicious on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aerosmith, None Other.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

This is why I sold my windshield. Lost 15 bucks on the deal. It simply did not work with my helmet.
It might work with a half helmet.
Turns out between a ff and leather jacket, cold is not an issue for me.

Some people swear by the scoot 66 shield.

Anyway, this is why I always suggest you try out a windshield somehow before you buy one.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.